Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

Maybe. I heard the dude who built it used to box, so he might also punch things outside the robot.

Or he might not.

It would be cool if instead of being very maudlin and sad they play it off like that one dude last season who thought his granddad was dying and got back in to respect his last request but it turns out the old dude was just messing around because he was lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

"I USE THIS GUNPLA BECAUSE MY LITTLE BROTHER MADE IT BEFORE HE WENT AWAY TO THE HOSPITAL..."

"Uh bro I just broke my arm, they just needed a cast, I'm fine. Hello?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

"I USE THIS GUNPLA BECAUSE MY LITTLE BROTHER MADE IT BEFORE HE WENT AWAY TO THE HOSPITAL..."

"Uh bro I just broke my arm, they just needed a cast, I'm fine. Hello?"

That would be the best way to parody Shin Asuka to be honest.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm just interested in how Simon is going to turn the Destiny Gundam, a unit built to be well-rounded in terms of melee and ranged combat, into a unit who's main form of combat is boxing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm just interested in how Simon is going to turn the Destiny Gundam, a unit built to be well-rounded in terms of melee and ranged combat, into a unit who's main form of combat is boxing.

The Destiny has beam cannon hands, dude.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I'm hype for BEAM BOXING.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
It doesn't have beam legs, though, which will hopefully prove to be a fatal flaw.

I want the next episode to be Zeta Gundam: The Episode and have Sekai and Simon get into an actual fistfight over Gunpla.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

The Destiny has beam cannon hands, dude.
Yeah, that require an open palm to fire.

Then again, this is Build Fighters, so I am all set for a Palma Focina Dempsey Roll.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AradoBalanga posted:

Yeah, that require an open palm to fire.

Then again, this is Build Fighters, so I am all set for a Palma Focina Dempsey Roll.

He fires them into his balled fist making the BeamFists! :black101:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"If I clench my fist just as I fire my Palma Fiocina cannon, it'll be the equivalent of punching you with a hand grenade!"

"... Won't that result in your hand, and maybe your entire arm, getting blown off?"

"Details."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

"If I clench my fist just as I fire my Palma Fiocina cannon, it'll be the equivalent of punching you with a hand grenade!"

"... Won't that result in your hand, and maybe your entire arm, getting blown off?"

"Details."

Them's just Destiny tactics, son.

Unrelated to Destiny guy, I hope at some point we get a within team fight. Sekai and Yuuma seem about ready to go at it at any time, and I really want to see Fumina just trash both of them to get them to straighten up and get their heads out of their asses.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm just going to say it again because it got lost in the kerfuffle, but I really want to see a team of the original MGS dudes: Gundam, Guncannon and Guntank.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just watched the episode this afternoon, why do they have an exact replica of Slegger?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I just watched the episode this afternoon, why do they have an exact replica of Slegger?

I presume the same reason they have one of Ramba Ral.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
They don't.

...Sleggar was a blonde.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 13, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Gundam Valhalla.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ImpAtom posted:

I presume the same reason they have one of Ramba Ral.

And why Sekai's master is a Domon clone.

And why a younger Domon got to build a Gunpla WITH THE HELP OF KYOJI.

And why Char came to laugh at Sei's dad.

And why Bernie isn't being served with a side of fries and a diet soda.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

StrifeHira posted:

And why Bernie isn't being served with a side of fries and a diet soda.

:qq:

This episode's music owned super fuckin' hard.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked this episode, I liked how Fumina was the turning point of the fight. You can say "Well Yuuma and Sekai killed their dudes" and you would be right, but that wouldn't have happened if Fumina hadn't thrown their opponents for a loop. Until Fumina separated into smaller parts, things were not going in Team Try Fighters' favor. It was her actions, her plan, and her parts that won the day. I will admit, in my heart of hearts, that I do regret that the show won't be Mirai/Fumina/Gyanko tearing stuff up. That would be overkill, and pandering in an odd way, but it'd still be fun to watch.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I feel like the show's biggest misstep so far is that despite being a team-based format, the team does everything as individuals. You would think for a massive team based tournament they'd actually do any of their prepwork together at any point. I know it's for dramatic purposes but it's really silly how none of them even knew what their teammates' upgrades were until the day of the fight(or the night before in the case of Winning Road). They really should be making some attempt to synergize as a team at all, but instead they're writing them like three individual fighters instead of a team.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

I feel like the show's biggest misstep so far is that despite being a team-based format, the team does everything as individuals. You would think for a massive team based tournament they'd actually do any of their prepwork together at any point. I know it's for dramatic purposes but it's really silly how none of them even knew what their teammates' upgrades were until the day of the fight(or the night before in the case of Winning Road). They really should be making some attempt to synergize as a team at all, but instead they're writing them like three individual fighters instead of a team.

It's rough because the recent fights have been in the second half of an episode so each individual fight feels incredibly rushed. Not that they necessarily need more time to make them good (The Gyanko fight this episode was quick and entertaining) but it does feel like they've been hurting for time such that each character has been going through the same beats for their individual fights.

I'm really hoping that's the last of the generic mooks. When they fought Gyanko we got a little bit of actual teamwork so heck, maybe all it takes is for them to fight against someone with an actual personality :v:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
In the spirit of impatom I'm going to focus on something small I do not like and make up repeating supportive arguments for the sake of being a butt, but don't worry! I still like this thread guys!

quote:

But she hasnt? I mean is that the way you are interpreting it when literally no one else is making this claim either in other forums or in the show.

quote:

I don't get how winning gundam forces the other two to fight as a team?

quote:

So after hearing a lot of people talk about how this show's been so boring and bad w/r/t fights compared to the first season I went back and rewatched most of season 1.

Aaaaaand they're mostly the same?

None of these statements are acutally questions; the fact that you would take the time to end them with a question mark, so that they can be mentally read with a high-rising terminal, or "uptalk", is both the most absurd thing and fantastical atrocity ever.

Back to gundam. Someone already mentioned this, I too predict at some point Sekai will face a tough opponent, smash his magical particle gunpla and it will be a Big Thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I wouldn't mind Sekai being invincible if they were either facing more opponents who actually got a little characterization or if there was even a little bit of tension during the team battles. It'd be cool if someone were to get taken out right away and they had to fight 2 on 3, for instance!

At this point in S1 we saw the Build Strike take damage and also get completely wrecked, but even if that didn't happen they had introduced a great supporting cast so it was all good.

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

In the spirit of impatom I'm going to focus on something small I do not like and make up repeating supportive arguments for the sake of being a butt, but don't worry! I still like this thread guys!

Yes, that's right. I'm here posting 'to be a butt.' You've discovered my dastardly plan and I am undone.

Srice posted:

Heck, I wouldn't mind Sekai being invincible if they were either facing more opponents who actually got a little characterization or if there was even a little bit of tension during the team battles. It'd be cool if someone were to get taken out right away and they had to fight 2 on 3, for instance!

At this point in S1 we saw the Build Strike take damage and also get completely wrecked, but even if that didn't happen they had introduced a great supporting cast so it was all good.

To be honest I'm noticing that there's not really any emphasis on battle damage being a thing, possibly because of the "Damage Set to B" thing. Which in retrospect is kind of weird because one of the interesting things about the BF battles in Season 1 is that they could actually have serious consequences because they didn't actually matter. If your robot gets smashed up it sucks and you have to repair and rebuild it but nobody dies. Model Damage Set To B seems to remove that from the equation as well. We've never seen Fumina actually seem particularly stressed about Powered GM Cardigan's battle damage in the way that Sei was about Strike's, and the other two have never seemed to take any meaningful damage at all. (Sei through Burning Nosell, Yuuma because his rear end is always in the back and never actually gets hit.)

In S2 fights, seeing someone get their arm cut off or whatever is sort of hard to map to how much actual damage they take. The Shield Shield SHIEEEELD thing looks brutal but it's possible the dude's gunpla was relatively undamaged by the end. It's a minor thing really but I'm hoping they do go up to Damage A soon so damage feels more meaningful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well it should be noted that the Powered GMC never again had the total armament it was sporting back during the first episode battle for Axis. Although that might have been Fumina trying to figure out a balance between firepower and maneuverability.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

In S2 fights, seeing someone get their arm cut off or whatever is sort of hard to map to how much actual damage they take. The Shield Shield SHIEEEELD thing looks brutal but it's possible the dude's gunpla was relatively undamaged by the end. It's a minor thing really but I'm hoping they do go up to Damage A soon so damage feels more meaningful.

Yeah, it's really cut a lot of the tension the first-season fights had, especially when it brought a few nice moments like the mid-fight pause against the Sengoku Astray, and not to mention the amazing stalemate against the Fenice :suspense:. I'll be okay with it if they bump it up to Level A for the next-tier tournament after this one, as a kind of "kid gloves are OFF" thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I'm noticing that there's not really any emphasis on battle damage being a thing, possibly because of the "Damage Set to B" thing. Which in retrospect is kind of weird because one of the interesting things about the BF battles in Season 1 is that they could actually have serious consequences because they didn't actually matter. If your robot gets smashed up it sucks and you have to repair and rebuild it but nobody dies. Model Damage Set To B seems to remove that from the equation as well. We've never seen Fumina actually seem particularly stressed about Powered GM Cardigan's battle damage in the way that Sei was about Strike's, and the other two have never seemed to take any meaningful damage at all. (Sei through Burning Nosell, Yuuma because his rear end is always in the back and never actually gets hit.)

Yeah that's a good point. I wonder how much of it is for convenience; since nobody could fix the Build Burning properly if it gets damaged, the first time it gets seriously damaged will probably happen if Sei is around or will be around shortly after to fix it. With this setup they can (hopefully) have Sekai take some damage in a fight and still be fine for the next battle.

It's a bit of a hole they got themselves into when deciding that the protagonist should know jack poo poo about gunpla, and really makes me appreciate the Sei/Reiji dynamic more. Battle damage is cool and being able to get mobile suits completely wrecked without anyone dying is the best, I miss that :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Yeah that's a good point. I wonder how much of it is for convenience; since nobody could fix the Build Burning properly if it gets damaged, the first time it gets seriously damaged will probably happen if Sei is around or will be around shortly after to fix it. With this setup they can (hopefully) have Sekai take some damage in a fight and still be fine for the next battle.

It's a bit of a hole they got themselves into when deciding that the protagonist should know jack poo poo about gunpla, and really makes me appreciate the Sei/Reiji dynamic more. Battle damage is cool and being able to get mobile suits completely wrecked without anyone dying is the best, I miss that :(

Well, I'm sure it'll happen again if just because we're gonna be getting upgrades eventually and with three protagonist at least one of them is going to upgrade by the time-honored Gundam method of 'my poo poo be broke."

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I'm sure it'll happen again if just because we're gonna be getting upgrades eventually and with three protagonist at least one of them is going to upgrade by the time-honored Gundam method of 'my poo poo be broke."

Ah yeah that's definitely true. Probably gonna happen with Yuu then since they keep bringing up his building skills and Hoshino has already switched.

In that case I'll amend it to being good that in S1 they could have a few instances where they wouldn't make a huge deal about heavy damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It doesn't bother me as much because it's been many years since the 1st season, and there was probably a policy change on battles being more simulated without battle damage. Kinda like how real sports have safer and safer health policies over the years.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Srice posted:

...Alternatively, it could play into a bit of a character growth for the team - at the very least, for Yuuma. Ie, if the Build Burning gets busted to bits (sorry), Yuuma has to go through a brief stint of determining whether or not he's good enough to measure up to a former world champion in order to try and fix it.

Admittedly I'm not sure how you'd manage to write an episode around that, but who knows.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Personally, I'm hoping that it ends up being Sakai that rebuilds or upgrades the Build Burning when it gets wrecked. Trying to master the school of building and all that.

Or he'll team up with Simon or something. Set up a mirror team to the Try Fighters (builder/boxer/someone who actually knows what they're doing).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suzaku posted:

Personally, I'm hoping that it ends up being Sakai that rebuilds or upgrades the Build Burning when it gets wrecked. Trying to master the school of building and all that.

Or he'll team up with Simon or something. Set up a mirror team to the Try Fighters (builder/boxer/someone who actually knows what they're doing).

I'm guessing Funina would get a new rival as well, then. Lady's with Team Meijin, so she probably couldn't contribute to Team Psycho Fighters. That does seem to be where the show's headed, though, seeing as we're being interested to multiple powerful solo fighters who have personal issues with particular protagonists.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Astro Nut posted:

...Alternatively, it could play into a bit of a character growth for the team - at the very least, for Yuuma. Ie, if the Build Burning gets busted to bits (sorry), Yuuma has to go through a brief stint of determining whether or not he's good enough to measure up to a former world champion in order to try and fix it.

Admittedly I'm not sure how you'd manage to write an episode around that, but who knows.

Heck, there have been worse subjects to last an entire episode so why not. I'm a bit torn on that idea because while it would indeed be a great way to develop Yuuma's character, I'm not sure if he needs another excuse to angst about not being skilled enough :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

If you're seeing things then I'm seeing them too! I didn't take any shots from this week's episode but here's a questionable shot from last week where her face is all messed up.

I just want to point out that even though hoshino is off model in that shot, that entire scene is probably the most lively and animated any of the characters had been in the episode up to that point. Yuuma is fidgeting around and messing with his phone and instead of standing still and mouth flapping hoshino adjusts her position as she goes through the dialogue.

I liked it a lot, a bit sad to see people throwing it into the fire since it and the gyanko staredown later in the same scene were fun little bits that I wish we had more of.

Also Ral running late to the tournament this episode was a good similar bit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I just want to point out that even though hoshino is off model in that shot, that entire scene is probably the most lively and animated any of the characters had been in the episode up to that point. Yuuma is fidgeting around and messing with his phone and instead of standing still and mouth flapping hoshino adjusts her position as she goes through the dialogue.

I liked it a lot, a bit sad to see people throwing it into the fire since it and the gyanko staredown later in the same scene were fun little bits that I wish we had more of.

Also Ral running late to the tournament this episode was a good similar bit.

I honestly didn't notice that from last episode. And actually haven't noticed it much up until now. This episode, however, there were a lot of scenes that didn't have much going on that were supposed to be cool or dramatic, and meanwhile Hoshino's all :downs: and it just kinda doesn't work.
I think this show doesn't really work at all when it's trying to be all that serious, though. The stakes are low, Yuuya's too flat for his story to really do all that much, and it's just kinda lacking in intensity. The first season was ridiculously intense, and it was incredibly dumb, but it worked. And it knew it was being too intense, and that was part of the humor. That seems lacking in this season so far. Everybody's treating gunpla battles really seriously but also as something completely mundane, compared to prior when it was a ridiculous dumb nerd thing played by total goons who got way too invested in it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ral's new voice isn't working for me.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

nuru posted:

Ral's new voice isn't working for me.

First episode of the switch was bad, not just the transition but delivery too. I think he's getting more comfortable and I haven't minded as much lately but we're still lacking the range and intensity of old Ral.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakai being a dick is about the closest we've gotten in spirit to a Fellini, but the show could use more time on side characters (which to be fair it looks like it should be doing more of soon). The main trio has some chemistry (well, not really Yuuma and Fumina), but I think has had some overexposure and needs to start branching out. Sei and Reiji were frequently not paired, which I think Try needs to follow more.

Also I agree that that off model bit in front of the arena was good, but I don't think it would work for the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

• Locked thread