Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When are we getting more Takagi-san chapters.

Please, someone, release them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When are we getting more Takagi-san chapters.

Please, someone, release them.

Teasing Mistress Takagi is tormenting us through the fourth wall by not releasing new chapters.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They just finished the first volume, they might be in the process of acquiring raws of the next.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

From the creator who brought you Psychological Torture Master Takagi-San, comes an all-new serialization about an older brother with a younger sister who's actually a blood sucking zombie!

Futdatsuki no Kyoko-Chan

I think I like "Takagi-San" more than this, at the outset, but I'm willing to give this author the benefit of the doubt not to take this in a creepy or generic way.

Ch. 1 - Onii-chan the Siscon

uh

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

icantfindaname posted:

Ch. 1 - Onii-chan the Siscon

uh

That's more about people's a mistaken perception of him (he isn't actually a siscon as much as he's worried about his sister getting into trouble because she's a blood-drinking monster, but people mistake his protectiveness for siscon). However, I'm not going to defend this otherwise; I like Takagi-san better so far.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

is anyone else reading the shounen story about ballroom dancing? because you need to be so we can get more than 4 chapters of it translated. Ballroom e Youkoso is the name

Yeah, and it's great!

Here is a link for anyone interested: Ballroom e Youkoso

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Yeah, and it's great!

Here is a link for anyone interested: Ballroom e Youkoso

holy poo poo protag did ballroom dance till he vomited, thats shounen as gently caress.

thanks Richard Spacious and Frankenstein Dad for a cool rec

e: holy gently caress they have burning auras from dancing this is the best :ssj:

Fellis fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 12, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was enjoying reading HunterxHunter until I got to the battle tower thing where they introduced the weird Ki power source thing and my eyes just kind of glazed over at the long explanation and the three fights I've seen using it have been really boring and lacked what I enjoyed about the arcs prior. Does it stay this way?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It gets better.

EDIT: To be more specific, it gets more elaborately Jojo-esque in how powers are used.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It stays that way in that the nen system is a huge part of the series and like JoJo's Stands it gives a solid background to powers to make them all internally consistent and to give the fights more depth than 'throw a bigger fireball'.

The York Shin arc is immediately after Battle Tower I think and that's a top-tier arc so if you can read through that to find out how badly the system will affect your enjoyment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, honest opinion, JJBA or HunterxHunter?

I got a lot on my "To Buy" plate next month and the crowd I usually hang with won't stop urging me to buy one of these two. Well these two and Toriko but I don't like the look of Toriko. HXH I kinda think I know what to expect since I loved Yu Yu Hakusho. At least I know to expect a likable protagonist...I hope. I think my main complaint is the proliferation of Goku clones in shounen. It's like a plague. What we need is more Yusuke's.

I'm honestly trying to get away from "Fighting Shounen" because I realized that, out of the 44 anime/manga series I've seen/read in my life, over half of them are fighting shounen. This is making me read a bunch of other types of manga but I figure I owe it to my annoying fiends to give their holy grail a chance to redeem my ever-falling opinion of fighting shounen.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 12, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
JJBA all the way.

Seven Endings trumps None.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I haven't read HXH, but Jojo is pretty much a genre-defining work. So many other manga either take cues from it or make references that it will actually increase your enjoyment of other stories. Plus, Jojo is FABULOUS.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Flip a coin. I was typing some words about both, but I honestly could not find the words to give Jojo proper justice. I will say though that Jojo had a very heavy influence on Hunter x Hunter (and a lot of other manga in general) in terms of creative fights. If you recall the early tests in the Chapter Black arc of Yu Yu Hakusho, that's basically what Hunter x Hunter basically progressed from in terms of fights. Also keep in mind that if you pick Jojo, you're probably getting Part 3 (though I think Viz started doing Part 1 a while ago), so you're technically jumping into the middle of the story, though it recaps the important stuff so you don't miss much other than the spectacle of Part 2.

Hunter x Hunter also has a more adventure format, while JJBA part 3 follows a Baddie of the Week formula, though it has more creative fights and crazy powers as it progresses.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Another chapter of My Hero Academia just dropped.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 13, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was just thinking how much I like both of All Might's designs when the characters started talking about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

So, honest opinion, JJBA or HunterxHunter?

I got a lot on my "To Buy" plate next month and the crowd I usually hang with won't stop urging me to buy one of these two. Well these two and Toriko but I don't like the look of Toriko. HXH I kinda think I know what to expect since I loved Yu Yu Hakusho. At least I know to expect a likable protagonist...I hope. I think my main complaint is the proliferation of Goku clones in shounen. It's like a plague. What we need is more Yusuke's.

I'm honestly trying to get away from "Fighting Shounen" because I realized that, out of the 44 anime/manga series I've seen/read in my life, over half of them are fighting shounen. This is making me read a bunch of other types of manga but I figure I owe it to my annoying fiends to give their holy grail a chance to redeem my ever-falling opinion of fighting shounen.

Since you loved YYH, HxH is the better choice by far. Also while both have plenty of fighting Jojo is more traditional about it while HxH sometimes does some rather unexpected things for the genre.

Gon seems like a Goku clone at first but there are occasions where they play up how the dude is really amoral except for matters involving his friends; he doesn't give a poo poo if a dude is a mass murderer, as long as he hasn't murdered anyone he cares about.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I've heard good things about HxH, but I've yet to actually read it. Jojo is probably my favorite thing though, so I recommend giving it a try. But it is battle shonen as gently caress.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Allarion posted:

Another chapter of My Hero Academia just dropped.

I'm going to need to make a thread for this, it's incredible. I have good feelings about where My Hero Academia is going.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

gnome7 posted:

I'm going to need to make a thread for this, it's incredible. I have good feelings about where My Hero Academia is going.

Double post, but I did that thing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681032

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man someone put up a one-chapter interest check for the Banner of the Stars manga and all it did was remind me how much I want more Stars stuff. :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The author is apparently still plugging away too; a new Banner volume came out in 2013 and a short story collection came out this year. Just no anime for them :sigh:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's been fifteen or so years since I last saw the series but I read that chapter and I remember how much I liked it. Were the novels ever translated? They were actual novels right, not LN garbage? I didn't even know there was a fourth volume, never mind a fifth.

I'm tempted to go back to the series but I'm not sure whether it's something I should revisit or just keep my memories of and let go.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's a legit novel series like LOGH. Tokyopop translated the first three (Crest) but I remember it being kind of bad because they did some weird stuff with the Abh terms. It's a trade off I would've taken though if they had actually pressed on, since some Banner is better than none at all.

Going off of the simulwatch from a few years Crest of the Stars at least still holds up very well. There's so much more to see and do in that world, it's aggravating that something like Index can have like 30+ volumes and this had to make do with like 11 over 20 years.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Long ago did I stop getting mad about X series having insane success and Y series being kicked to the curb but yeah, it's a drat shame. Younger me found Jinto and Lafiel totally compelling and pitch-perfect as two young people growing up and slowly finding each other.

I do remember the end of Banner 3 was both incredibly sad on one hand with but quite hopeful on the other and did work as a pretty good finale. I think I'll go check it out again.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Srice posted:

Since you loved YYH, HxH is the better choice by far. Also while both have plenty of fighting Jojo is more traditional about it while HxH sometimes does some rather unexpected things for the genre.

Gon seems like a Goku clone at first but there are occasions where they play up how the dude is really amoral except for matters involving his friends; he doesn't give a poo poo if a dude is a mass murderer, as long as he hasn't murdered anyone he cares about.

HxH is the biggest disappointment in the history of boys' Japanese comics. Not because it's bad, but because it's so good. To only get a few weeks worth of chapters a year is incredibly disappointing.

I think HxH's biggest strength is that it plays within the wheelhouse of typical fighting shonen and uses those tropes but is at the same time utterly unpredictable.

In related news I've been watching YYH and got to the very last arc and with the way people talked about it I thought it'd be pretty terrible but it is actually not that bad. I'm not sure what the manga is like, is it different than the anime version?

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Banner of the Stars is great. It's a shame its DVD is out of print though, which makes the disc sets ridiculously expensive on Amazon. New sets for Banner of the Stars series (2nd season, right after Crests) can go up to $100+, which is nuts for something published around 10 years ago. At the same time though, all the latest fansubs for it uses horrendous fonts, making me wish I still had the originals that I downloaded back when I was still in school and had no money. That's not even mentioning Banners 3, which is an OVA and doesn't have a disc to buy. Hopefully, when this series is completed they'll make a new animated series for it so I can buy it for a more reasonable price.

As a side note, I've been looking up tracks from the anime, and for some reason the Seikai no Senki intro track seems a lot more techno than I remembered. Is this just me, or should I be getting my head checked for memory loss?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Meanwhile, the other new successful Shonen Jump series has been translated. Not quite as big of a mega-hit in sales as My Hero Academia, Hinomaru Zumou did manage to top the rankings when it first came out and still maintains a healthy ranking. It's a sports manga about sumo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mischitary posted:

HxH is the biggest disappointment in the history of boys' Japanese comics. Not because it's bad, but because it's so good. To only get a few weeks worth of chapters a year is incredibly disappointing.
Honestly, between that and the guy just not giving a poo poo when it comes to drawing his comic just sours me on the whole endeavour.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I read through HxH for the first time a few months ago, and I have mixed feelings. I was really enjoying it up until the Chimera Ant arc, which went on forever and ever and ever. It wasn't really a bad arc by any means, I just never got that into it. I did like the revive Gon arc, because Killua is cool, but I never read past chapter 340 because I didn't want to start an arc that probably wouldn't be finished before the next hiatus. A few weeks later I was vindicated when the manga went back on break. :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Here's something quaint that could get better but so far is an easy read: New Saga. It's fairly standard low-fantasy, but the gimmick is the first chapter is the end of the story, with the Demon Lord beaten. It was an incredibly pyrrhic victory though with everyone dead and the hero dying too. The dude finds one last device to send him back four years in time to when he was literally the archetypical Slacking Young Boy In A Nice Little Village. The good part is that he's pretty intelligent and he realises instantly what he can do, and starts to sequence-break the world as hard as he can.

There's a bit more T&A than I'd like but the idea is a nice one and it's already had one really good moment: The hero knows where a labyrinth full of money is which they're gonna need to gear up, so he goes after it. Since he knows literally everything about the place instead of going through all the magic traps and monsters like the first time around he just digs through the side of the mountain directly into the treasure-room.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Pierson posted:

Here's something quaint that could get better but so far is an easy read: New Saga. It's fairly standard low-fantasy, but the gimmick is the first chapter is the end of the story, with the Demon Lord beaten. It was an incredibly pyrrhic victory though with everyone dead and the hero dying too. The dude finds one last device to send him back four years in time to when he was literally the archetypical Slacking Young Boy In A Nice Little Village. The good part is that he's pretty intelligent and he realises instantly what he can do, and starts to sequence-break the world as hard as he can.

There's a bit more T&A than I'd like but the idea is a nice one and it's already had one really good moment: The hero knows where a labyrinth full of money is which they're gonna need to gear up, so he goes after it. Since he knows literally everything about the place instead of going through all the magic traps and monsters like the first time around he just digs through the side of the mountain directly into the treasure-room.

This was pretty good, a bit boring with the hero's omniscience, but it finally went off the rails in the last chapter so it'll probably get interesting. The fanservice wasn't that bad though, probably just the bare minimum for a manga to get published nowadays. Also I think that it would be considered high fantasy but that's just :spergin:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It seems silly that he didn't tell his mom what happened. She just explained that she knows what happened to him is possible, he has hard proof in his pocket for her theory, and she's one of the most powerful mages in the world! Why wouldn't he try to get her help?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sindai posted:

It seems silly that he didn't tell his mom what happened. She just explained that she knows what happened to him is possible, he has hard proof in his pocket for her theory, and she's one of the most powerful mages in the world! Why wouldn't he try to get her help?

because its a manga

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So there's this comic I've been reading that isn't exactly shounen but not sure what to call it (partly because it's written by some Canadian girl), but she's a really amazing artist and deserves more attention: http://carciphona.com/

Her color art in particular is awesome, but the comic also isn't half bad, particularly for someone without any editor. It's basically a legitimate "web comic" in the sense of being "a comic on the web" (though you can also buy physical volumes of it).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 25, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does she have assistants? That's some pretty astonishing artwork, most anime webcomics/webtoons look like they're drawn by cavemen in comparison to that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Does she have assistants? That's some pretty astonishing artwork, most anime webcomics/webtoons look like they're drawn by cavemen in comparison to that

Pretty sure she doesn't. I find it really impressive that she's able to make something every bit as good, if not better, than a lot of other manga all by herself. It's also definitely worth looking at the colored pieces on her personal website, because they're also pretty awesome. From what I've seen her say it sounds like it's just the result of drawing for hours a day every single day for many years.

edit: I can't say for sure how well she's doing sales-wise, but based upon the number of e-mails she sent out for this recent raffle (she's doing some raffle for people who recently bought stuff from her) it looks like she's selling on the order of just ~100 or so volumes. Which isn't exactly bad for a total amateur, but it's a shame given that the work she does is better than a bunch of the stuff that actually manages to get published in Japan (much less other web-comics).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 25, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To be honest im not sure that anime face style really works with the hyper-detailed aesthetic of the rest of the work.

Its effort-effort-effort-boop time saving faces-effort.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Webcomics like this typically release on a schedule of like 2 pages a month, or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

To be honest im not sure that anime face style really works with the hyper-detailed aesthetic of the rest of the work.

Its effort-effort-effort-boop time saving faces-effort.

It looks like any other published shonen manga to me? I mean obviously there's variation there, but I bet I could find 5 series that look exactly like this without much effort

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 26, 2014