Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

I don't think his reaction to the Doctor (and specifically to the relationship between the Doctor and Clara) is just about OFFICER BAD SOLDIER BAD DOCTOR BAD ALL BAD BAD BAD (though you can't deny that element entirely of course, as it's all wrapped up in the Doctor's own identity crisis, and Clara's increasing taking on of the Doctor's moral code and way of doing things). It's there to show that (c) Danny almost certainly had an officer while he was a solder, someone he saw as an inspirational figure, someone who 'inspired' him to do that horrible thing and was probably quite unsympathetic about it afterwards. Unfortunately, we never actually saw (c), we had to infer it, but I think it's absolutely there to be inferred. It's the missing piece that makes everything else make sense.

I absolutely agree, everything screamed that there was a missing piece where Danny is somehow failed by his commanding officer, and yet we never see it. We can infer the obvious, but without it being shown it leaves us with only the things we saw onscreen as concrete examples of why he acts/reacts the way he does, so his determination to think the absolute worst of the Doctor comes across as churlish and immature as opposed to having a strong (if misjudged) foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely agree, everything screamed that there was a missing piece where Danny is somehow failed by his commanding officer, and yet we never see it. We can infer the obvious, but without it being shown it leaves us with only the things we saw onscreen as concrete examples of why he acts/reacts the way he does, so his determination to think the absolute worst of the Doctor comes across as churlish and immature as opposed to having a strong (if misjudged) foundation.

Yeah. And unfortunately, I don't even see where the opportunity to have that was. He should really have been a companion, just so he could be more present in the stories (and also because a companion who is completely skeptical about the Doctor and his methods can lead to some awesome storytelling sometimes, if the story's smart enough not to make them just look like an idiot).

Come to think of it, that would have essentially just recreated the dynamic of the Eleventh Doctor, Amy, and Rory, though I'm not sure I could really complain about that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They might have pulled it off if they'd had a single episode midway-to-late through the run where Danny ended up coming along for one of the adventures and it was Danny-centric and explored his previously-hinted-at backstory.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually thought this might be the case when I saw the trailer for In the Forest of the Night and thought that Danny and his class had been taken on a field trip into the future by the Doctor.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

what do you think clara ended up doing with that iraqi child

do you think she just put him on a plane back to iraq or something, that seems highly irresponsible

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ThePutty posted:

do you think she just put him on a plane back to iraq or something, that seems highly irresponsible

My question is how he has his body back? Does the cloud just make a new body for you when you escape through the bracelet portal or...

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

ThePutty posted:

I thought the scene in the coffee shop was going to include Clara asking the Doctor to take the kid back to his parents.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

maybe he'll become a comic relief character like urkel

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ThePutty posted:

maybe he'll become a comic relief character like urkel

He'll learn English and become the First Gentleman of Courtney's reign as the President of America.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hewlett posted:

My question is how he has his body back? Does the cloud just make a new body for you when you escape through the bracelet portal or...

Yeah, presumably. That's how the Matrix on Gallifrey (often) worked.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ThePutty posted:

I got a better question. Where the hell did Orson Pink come from if Danny blew up?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah they probably should have had Danny accompany them on at least some adventures to make the finale carry more impact. Plus I really like the multiple companions dynamic and how it helps them develop into more than just an audience stand-in.

e: Clara is pregnant probably.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hewlett posted:

The Matrix is a combination of computer and 'pocket reality'. Things within the simulation sort of have an actual physical existence, and it's actually possible to physically go in and out of the simulation.

Time Lord tech. We're talking a people that discovered maths that the very act of calculating can alter reality and objects within it (part of how the TARDIS generates its interior). The Matrix presumably uses that to the nth degree in an entire computational system combined with pocket dimension designed around the concept. A computer where the calculations have reality.

Doctor Who technobabble is the most insane technobabble.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 13, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

I got a better question. Where the hell did Orson Pink come from if Danny blew up?

Companions ask this kind of question all the time,"<X> can't win and destroy the world because we've been to the future and the world is still there and <x> isn't!" but as the Doctor constantly points out, time can be rewritten and the futures they've seen aren't necessarily set in stone.

It's entirely possible that Nick Frost is going to bring Danny back somehow (if he does I hope the Doctor remains completely unaware that Clara lied to him) and Orson Pink might end up happening, But if he doesn't then he'll just turn out to have been a possibility who now only exists in the Doctor's past, due to the non-linear nature of his life allowing events from a now non-existent future to have still happened in HIS past.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That or Clara is already pregnant. Who knows!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm 100% certain that everyone died in the last couple of episodes (if not the whole season) is going to be brought back to life in the Christmas special simply because there's not a single chance they cast Sanjeev Bhaskar in that role just for him to get about two lines and then die pointlessly.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Reading through Occupation's review thread made me realize the vague similarities Season 2's finale has with Season 8.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Irony Be My Shield posted:

e: Clara is pregnant probably.

:eyepop:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ThePutty posted:

I assumed she rang up Kate.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm 100% certain that everyone died in the last couple of episodes (if not the whole season) is going to be brought back to life in the Christmas special simply because there's not a single chance they cast Sanjeev Bhaskar in that role just for him to get about two lines and then die pointlessly.

Cyber-Sgt. Benton saved him off camera. Cyber-Harry Sullivan got the pilot. The Doctor popped back with his Tardis to gather up all the rest as they fell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

docbeard posted:

Yeah. And unfortunately, I don't even see where the opportunity to have that was. He should really have been a companion, just so he could be more present in the stories (and also because a companion who is completely skeptical about the Doctor and his methods can lead to some awesome storytelling sometimes, if the story's smart enough not to make them just look like an idiot).

I've said it before, but Danny would have had so much more impact if he saw the Doctor fail, with his own eyes. He had a clear image of the Doctor, one that was ultimately right, but we never really saw much of that.

We could have done that by seeing Danny's experiences with officers expanded on, but I still think my preferred pick would have been having him tag along for one of the Doctor's 'sketchier' moments, have a specific incidentto be able to point to and say 'this is who the Doctor is'. Have him see the Doctor be so willing to let people die in Time Heist, let him be witness to his abandonment during Kill the Moon, have Danny be around for the Doctor risking innocents in Mummy on the Orient Express, have Flatline occur in a way he can get involved*.

Danny could have been great if he got the chance to make his point, but he just didn't get the opportunity to 'show his working', so to speak.

*Don't actually have him be part of Flatline; I like Danny and I like Flatline, but they wouldn't have helped each other.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't think one season of Danny was ever going to work well. His relationship came so fast and such that it does not feel workable as it was written but probably would have been just fine if he'd gotten two seasons for it. Would have given him more time to actually have an adventure with the Doctor too. You can argue about the actor or the scripts or whatever but, regardless of the show's own internal timeline, 12 episodes was not enough time to go as serious as Danny and Clara were. Maybe it would have worked better with a summer break between the two halves of the season.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't know why everybody is saying that Osgood, etc are dead and gone? Were none of you paying attention to the main plotline of the last two episodes?

The whole two episodes revolved around the fact that Missy created a magic machine that catches your mind and safely stores it when you die: with the option to easily download it to physical form when desired (or even for a live person to pop into the magic machine to interact with them).

Nobody destroyed this machine or turned it off - so, surely that means that anyone who died still exists and is just corporally inconvenienced.

That includes, Osgood, Chief Inspector Captain Scarlett, the two easily-distracted guards and Missy. Potentially even Mr Pink, if the machine works on minds that have been dumped into cyberform.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I saw this in the episode but I assumed that she'd been secretly been travelling with The Doctor and lying to Danny for three months. But... it makes sense, it could be.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

spog posted:

Nobody destroyed this machine or turned it off - so, surely that means that anyone who died still exists and is just corporally inconvenienced.

It's very blink-and-you'll-miss-it but at the end of the episode when Danny's talking to Clara he says something to the effect of "this place is dying now." To me that implies that the whole thing is switching off or falling apart and whoever doesn't get out right then and there is going to disappear. That said, I completely agree that everyone's coming back to life again one way or another.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, I just rewatched the start of Dark Water, and I'm really curious as to what would've happened if The Master hadn't just happened to be downloading humanity's minds into a Matrix Slice at the same time the Doctor was apparently sincerely searching for the Afterlife.

Also Missydroid is loving hilarious when you can read the Master loving around with the Doctor into it. "My heart... is maintained... by the Doctor."

Organza Quiz posted:

It's very blink-and-you'll-miss-it but at the end of the episode when Danny's talking to Clara he says something to the effect of "this place is dying now." To me that implies that the whole thing is switching off or falling apart and whoever doesn't get out right then and there is going to disappear. That said, I completely agree that everyone's coming back to life again one way or another.

It's a pretty big plot point to gloss over, to be honest. I mean, really, letting the thing die is a huge ethical clusterfuck, given the implication by the fact that Danny's there that all the downloaded minds still exist in the nethersphere.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 13, 2014

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's a pretty big plot point to gloss over, to be honest. I mean, really, letting the thing die is a huge ethical clusterfuck, given the implication by the fact that Danny's there that all the downloaded minds still exist in the nethersphere.

This is the season that glossed over the Doctor deciding to let a bunch of kids die because their parents were going to die and it would be sad if they grew up without parents so if we're going down the path of serious ethical considerations we're gonna be there a long time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Automatic Slim posted:

Also, CyberBrig flys off into the sky, no bright explosion like the rest, so there's hope for a future appearance...

e: or dread, if it might be thrown together again.

With a mustache.

And a normal Cyberman pretending to be CyberBrig could have an eyepatch.

And wasn't there a leaked shot of Amy and Rory's tombstone earlier this year?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Another point about Dark Water... I notice that the 3W logo resembling a cyberman eye gets more explicit over the course of the episode. Like, the first time you really see it is on the wall of Seb's office, where it's two separate circles that don't really overlap. Then there's the logo in the video, where it overlaps a little... then you see it on the doors later, where it fully reaches the proportions of a cyberman eye. It's nicely done.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

You know, I just rewatched the start of Dark Water, and I'm really curious as to what would've happened if The Master hadn't just happened to be downloading humanity's minds into a Matrix Slice at the same time the Doctor was apparently sincerely searching for the Afterlife.

The Doctor was searching for that because of Clara, and he has Clara as his companion because of the Masters influence. They never gave an explanation for why Clara, the Master having some sense that she was going to be a common link in both of their timelines and it being a paradoxical loop seems as likely an explanation as any.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, honestly I'd find the Cybermen much more threatening if they didn't walk like badly made robots. If they were as fluid and rapidly responding as the people they'd upgraded. The reflexes and versatility and motion of a human body with the durability of a machine. But I guess it's much too late for that; walking like a bigass ASIMO is part of their thing.

Senor Tron posted:

The Doctor was searching for that because of Clara, and he has Clara as his companion because of the Masters influence. They never gave an explanation for why Clara, the Master having some sense that she was going to be a common link in both of their timelines and it being a paradoxical loop seems as likely an explanation as any.

"You'd go to hell if she asked, and she would!". Given that the Doctor explicitly says they're going to "go to hell" to find Danny... you might be right. The Master deliberately found someone with the kind of personality and intelligence to force The Doctor to fix a death and would suffer a loss of a loved one (or the Master offed Danny to force it).

But that's not really the point I was making. The Doctor being ready to go looking for the actual afterlife seemed to be a genuine plan and I'm wondering how it would've played out; the Master's plot got in the way and stopped us from seeing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 13, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just found out that Michelle “The Master” Gomez was in a show called Green Wing.

1. The clips I found on Youtube were pretty bloody funny. I don’t think I can look at Missy in the same light again.

2. WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS SHOW BEFORE?!? Seriously, you people should have told me about this show back when Tamsin Greg was a guest star in The Long Game!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, I just finished The Gathering. Did I miss something, or did they not explain why the Doctor doesn't remember 8687, or seemingly anything about the events of the Gathering in The Reaping? He also never figured out what the little patterns were in history that got him investigating at the beginning of the episode, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

I just found out that Michelle “The Master” Gomez was in a show called Green Wing.

1. The clips I found on Youtube were pretty bloody funny. I don’t think I can look at Missy in the same light again.

2. WHY HAVE I NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS SHOW BEFORE?!? Seriously, you people should have told me about this show back when Tamsin Greg was a guest star in The Long Game!

Oh you are in for a treat :allears:. Watch the guy playing Mac, and tell me he wouldn't be the ideal Ginger Doctor. You've got two seasons and a movie to look forward to.

Also Michelle Gomez as Sue White is the best character in the show.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also Michelle Gomez as Sue White is the best character in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRW-Gc8EQlk

Missy is now hard to take seriously, even at her most menacing.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
My ex and me enjoyed watching Bad Education, which also has Michelle Gomez, so part of her zeal for this season was having Missy around, and was her favorite part of both parts of the finale.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Okay, I just finished The Gathering. Did I miss something, or did they not explain why the Doctor doesn't remember 8687, or seemingly anything about the events of the Gathering in The Reaping? He also never figured out what the little patterns were in history that got him investigating at the beginning of the episode, right?

It's not explained. Joe Lidster is only interested in misery, not plot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not explained. Joe Lidster is only interested in misery, not plot.

He really does write some horrible stories. His contribution to 100 has always stuck with me because of how utterly mean spirited it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
IN other audio related news, my ex's favorite Doctor's making a comeback!

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-third-doctor-boxed-set

Big Finish News posted:

As announced in this month's Doctor Who Magazine (DWM), next year sees Big Finish revisiting a hugely popular era of Doctor Who...

The era of the Third Doctor will live again in brand new narrated full cast stories from Big Finish Productions. Doctor Who: The Third Doctor Adventures reunites Katy Manning as Jo Grant and Richard Franklin as Mike Yates, while Tim Treloar narrates and provides the voice of the Doctor.

“One thing we’ve learned at Big Finish is how effectively we can recreate past eras of past Doctor Who, even if key members of the cast are very sadly no longer with us,” says producer David Richardson. “As with our Early Adventures, these stories will authentically recreate the world of the Third Doctor, while paying tribute to the brilliant incarnation created by Jon Pertwee. We don’t see this as recasting the Doctor - Tim is playing the narrator, who in turn performs the Doctor’s dialogue - but the effect is so convincing that Katy was constantly praising his work during the recording.”

“It’s so wonderful to have Jon back in my life,” Katy tells DWM. “Tim has actually managed to be the closest you will ever get to having Jon back on audio.”

“Tim actually auditioned for this a few years ago, without us ever realising it,” says executive producer and director Nicholas Briggs. “When we recorded Destination Nerva, the first of our Fourth Doctor stories, Tim played a British army office from the Victorian era. Both Tom Baker and I commented that we thought he sounded like Jon, and that led to my casting him as the Third Doctor in our anniversary story The Light at the End. And now he’s back in two wonderfully typical Third Doctor stories…

“Tim put days and days of work into this before the recording. We sent him DVDs of old episodes which he watched again and again, and he had clips on his phone at the recording - so during every break he’d play it back. He was so totally dedicated to getting it right. He’d analysed Jon’s performance to the last detail, noting every tick and vocal inflection, and that pays off in a superb performance.”

Doctor Who: The Third Doctor Adventures box set will contain Prisoners of the Lake, an Earth-bound UNIT story by Justin Richards, and The Havoc of Empires, an outer space tale by Andy Lane, and will be released in October 2015. It is available at a special pre-order price from today.

• Locked thread