Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Anidav posted:

So my Facebook account got banned for posting about the planes from yesterday. Reason Given: Suspicious Activity.

loving hell :stare:

ewe2 posted:

Can you do a screenshot so I can tweet the gently caress out of it?

Do this please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Do this please!

Sorry, I already did the account recovery process with my G20 post deleted. It was a soft ban.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Sorry, I already did the account recovery process with my G20 post deleted. It was a soft ban.

No that was anything but "soft", that was shut the gently caress up, peasant. Oh well, I'll have to disappoint the militant twitter army now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Abbott's tick of repeating phrases looks even funnier when it's written out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

No that was anything but "soft", that was shut the gently caress up, peasant. Oh well, I'll have to disappoint the militant twitter army now.

Yeah I know, I guess I'll screenshot it if it happens again.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
All Palmer had to do was act as a spoiler for the two major parties and he couldn't even do that right. If there is one thing that will turn the public off voting for PUP it's dumb internal party squabbles.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

@latikambourke posted:
PM Abbott on China-US climate deal. 'I'm focusing not on what might happen in 16 years' time.'

Who cares about the future when there is Newscorp and mining companies to suck up to in the here and now.

wombat74
Sep 30, 2005

Corporate Fat Cat
Who would have thought that a political party formed by the man behind Gold Coast United and the Hyatt Coolum could end up having problems so soon? Truly staggering.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
He also has Titanic II and big dinosaurs :colbert:

<- and this awesome quote

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet: http://www.theage.com.au/national/e...112-11lbdi.html

quote:

Whistleblowing academics have accused their universities of contributing to systemic cheating by welcoming international students who are "functionally illiterate" because they rely so heavily on their fees.

Some academics claim they have urged their university leaders to raise the English proficiency requirements but their concerns have been largely ignored because they are at odds with financial imperatives.

Yingying Dou, director of the MyMaster website, at work on Monday.
Yingying Dou, director of the MyMaster website, at work on Monday. Photo: Dominic Lorrimer
International education contributes $15 billion annually to the Australian economy. At some universities, international students account for more than 30 percent of revenue.

On Wednesday Fairfax Media exposed an online business called MyMaster, run out of Sydney's Chinatown, that had provided more than 900 assignments to students from almost every university in NSW, turning over at least $160,000 this year.

The website has since been taken down and Yingying Dou, the sole director of MyMaster, did not turn up to work on Wednesday.

Following the MyMaster revelations, scores of similar websites have come to light, revealing a burgeoning online black market.

More than 20 disgruntled academics contacted Fairfax Media on Wednesday expressing frustration at the widespread problem they say has been undermining the integrity of their institutions.

Dr McComas Taylor, the head of the Australian National University's South Asian Program, said universities were "very reluctant to do anything to upset this revenue stream".

"Just as governments have become addicted to gambling revenues from poker machines, universities have become addicted to revenue streams from international students," he said.

Dr Taylor said some international students who had met the language requirements were "functionally illiterate".

"If you let in a student who can't read, write or speak English at a sufficiently high level, it's a very natural consequence that they're going to end up cheating like this."

One professor from a business school at a NSW university said he had students whose English was so poor they routinely came to his office with an interpreter.

He said there was "unbelieveable pressure" to pass international students from university administrators who "don't want a cool flow of income being interrupted by real world problems".

"It's completely destroying our universities," he said. "It's buggering the thing for everyone."

Another experienced professor told Fairfax Media he retired some years ago "because of the practice and, in part, because the universities turned a blind eye to it".

While a spokesman for Education Minister Christopher Pyne said there would be "very severe consequences" for those caught cheating, the federal government encouraged more international students to study in Australia.

"We want to encourage it, not just because of the revenue international students bring to universities and our wider economy when they live and study in Australia, but also the networks established with other students and institutions that benefit our country throughout our region and the rest of the world," he said.

Andrew Norton, the higher education program director for the Grattan Institute, says international students are the "key profit making business" for Australian universities and they are increasingly supporting their overall operations.

International students often pay more than three times as much as locals for their degrees, up to $40,000 a year.

At the University of NSW international student fees contributed almost $350 million last year, about a third of the total $1.1 billion revenue. At Macquarie University, almost a quarter of total revenue came from international students.

The international reputation of Australia's universities was absolutely critical to the wellbeing of the entire education system, according to Labor's higher education spokesman, Senator Kim Carr.

"We simply can't afford to have matters of this seriousness arising in a manner which does profound damage, if unattended, to the entire education system," he said. "The allegations cannot be allowed to go unanswered."
Almost every university approached by Fairfax Media denied requests for interviews on Wednesday but insisted the problem was confined to a very small number of students and there were systems in place to catch offenders.

Only one - the University of Wollongong- asked Fairfax Media to provide the data that would help them investigate the offending students.

The deputy vice-chancellor of the University of Wollongong, Professor Eeva Leinonen, said she was "concerned and disappointed" to learn students had paid for essays and insisted the university would investigate.

However, academics who contacted Fairfax Media on the condition of anonymity, fearing professional consequences from their universities, rejected the official line from the affected universities that the cheating was limited to a select few.

"We have really, really systemic problems with dishonesty in our student body," one senior lecturer said, adding that pressures on academics to produce research papers meant few had the time or energy to pursue disciplinary action against cheating students.

"It works the whole way up the university chain," she said. "At every point you would encounter somebody who just wants it to go away."

Another lecturer told Fairfax Media some of his Chinese students who had limited English skills produced suspiciously exceptional essays but said he was left with "no choice but to give them a high-distinction because their essays are of such high standards".

Associate Professor Chris Ziguras, an international education researcher at RMIT University in Melbourne, said the problem of buying essays was common but not limited to international students.

"In subjects where students are submitting written work, it's a problem that's very widespread and that we're dealing with on a daily basis in academia," he said.

Who would have thought that making the universities desperate for cash would result in compromised education? I've known this has been happening for years, back in 2010 one of my lectures told me that there was always pressure to pass people. They'd fail their assignments throughout the year, but would mysteriously do well enough on the exam to achieve a final mark in the 50s. Of course the students would just be happy to have passed after failing throughout the semester and wouldn't ask any questions. This was at Adelaide University's winemaking and viticulture course which is one of the top 3 universities for that course in the world, so I'd hate to think what has been taking place in the less prestigious courses in universities around the nation. My current university in Melbourne talks tough when it comes to plagiarism but when it actually happens they tiptoe around it and just give extensions, and pass poor quality work. They post exam questions online a week before we sit the exam, which at a Masters level is staggering, and then during one exam the lecturer just let a couple of guys talk and look up answers on their phones.

Unfortunately I don't see anything changing while the current bunch of flogs are in government. Maybe the backlash from students will force some action.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't know if anyone has posted this yet: http://www.theage.com.au/national/e...112-11lbdi.html

Who would have thought that making the universities desperate for cash would result in compromised education? I've known this has been happening for years, back in 2010 one of my lectures told me that there was always pressure to pass people. They'd fail their assignments throughout the year, but would mysteriously do well enough on the exam to achieve a final mark in the 50s. Of course the students would just be happy to have passed after failing throughout the semester and wouldn't ask any questions. This was at Adelaide University's winemaking and viticulture course which is one of the top 3 universities for that course in the world, so I'd hate to think what has been taking place in the less prestigious courses in universities around the nation. My current university in Melbourne talks tough when it comes to plagiarism but when it actually happens they tiptoe around it and just give extensions, and pass poor quality work. They post exam questions online a week before we sit the exam, which at a Masters level is staggering, and then during one exam the lecturer just let a couple of guys talk and look up answers on their phones.

Unfortunately I don't see anything changing while the current bunch of flogs are in government. Maybe the backlash from students will force some action.

Which Uni are you at? I hope it's the one I finished up at earlier this year because, yeah, they really don't give a poo poo and will pass anything and anyone and I knowingly took advantage of this when submitting work.

It's incredibly damaging to the reputation of the Universities, the value of a degree (or a second degree) and it makes things more difficult for international students because the general consensus is that they're passing and doing less work to do it even when I know that, with my SO and her friends, they were doing far, far more work than many other students.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 13, 2014

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

I like how Clive speaks to his senators by way of passive-aggressive press releases.

Also "courier pigeon", didn't even bother to fix his customary word mangling for the release.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Not a single homeless person or Big Issue salesman in Brisbane today. I wonder where the police took them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

Which Uni are you at? I hope it's the one I finished up at earlier this year because, yeah, they really don't give a poo poo and will pass anything and anyone and I knowingly took advantage of this when submitting work.

It's incredibly damaging to the reputation of the Universities, the value of a degree (or a second degree) and it makes things more difficult for international students because the general consensus is that they're passing and doing less work to do it.

I'm at LaTrobe. People are blowing up over it on facebook, and it does seem to be hurting the reputation of international students. Some of it is justified because there are some deadset no-hopers out there but I really feel for the ones who are actually doing the hard yards and earning their degree.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

I'm at LaTrobe. People are blowing up over it on facebook, and it does seem to be hurting the reputation of international students. Some of it is justified because there are some deadset no-hopers out there but I really feel for the ones who are actually doing the hard yards and earning their degree.

They should be mad at the university for slackening their standards and at the government for underfunding the universities and at their parents and elders for voting the bastards in.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I was at Melbourne. For all their rep, they never cared about quality work.

What was incredibly bizarre, and this is something I still don't understand given how the course worked, is at my graduation, there were so many international students who I had never seen on campus during my Masters of Teaching. The cohort was so small and tight-knit that you generally recognised everyone (shared compulsary subjects, placements, all in one building, etc) - and then it just seemed to double in size on that evening with all these people no one knew or recognized.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Anidav posted:

Not a single homeless person or Big Issue salesman in Brisbane today. I wonder where the police took them.

Noticed that too, it was really hosed up :(

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

What kind of a loving gutless worm was doing this interview and allowed that answer to just go by unchallenged.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I was at Melbourne. For all their rep, they never cared about quality work.

What was incredibly bizarre, and this is something I still don't understand given how the course worked, is at my graduation, there were so many international students who I had never seen on campus during my Masters of Teaching. The cohort was so small and tight-knit that you generally recognised everyone (shared compulsary subjects, placements, all in one building, etc) - and then it just seemed to double in size on that evening with all these people no one knew or recognized.

Yeah its the same for my classes during the exams. Suddenly the class is 3 times the size and there aren't enough seats for everyone in the lecture theater. I'll probably move to a different uni next year some time, I'll decide which one based on the responses to this issue I reckon.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

What kind of a loving gutless worm was doing this interview and allowed that answer to just go by unchallenged.

But Egg on the face hur hur!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

SO GOOD

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Yeah its the same for my classes during the exams. Suddenly the class is 3 times the size and there aren't enough seats for everyone in the lecture theater. I'll probably move to a different uni next year some time, I'll decide which one based on the responses to this issue I reckon.

I imagine these days there's a large number that don't bother coming to campus and catch up online.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nibbles! posted:

I imagine these days there's a large number that don't bother coming to campus and catch up online.

Lecture captures are amazing things and don't require you to get up for 8am lectures.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Quantum Mechanic posted:

NOPE

Sydney Greens pre-date the Tasmanian Greens :cool:

Uh-uh, comrade. Y'all might have been the first in this country to be called "Green" but the United Tasmania Group - the first party in the world to be founded on what we now refer to as Green principles - was formed in 1972, a full 12 years before your mob. I got into an argument with David Shoebridge about this at AYGcon.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Splits bro!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
fucken lol

quote:

Controversial unionist Kathy Jackson will be referred to Victoria Police for criminal investigation over the theft of about $900,000 from the Health Services Union.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Excellent. She'll be throwing a massive tantrum about this, and I bet the Liberals are doing their best to distance themselves from her

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They should be mad at the university for slackening their standards and at the government for underfunding the universities and at their parents and elders for voting the bastards in.

Actually they should be glad Tony is deregulating university fees because it means white people have been given the opportunity to keep all the lazy asians out by paying a reasonable 250% surcharge on the current cost of a degree. Win/win! Shoot me in the head.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 13, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Universities man.

The concept of "Accept any international student for those big dollars, regardless of their ability to communicate" is combined with "Make everything group work so it's easier to mark" is a loving catastrophe.

I was receiving desperate emails sent by international students to everyone in the subject asking to join a group, and I've had lecturers actually say "international students don't all form a group together because none of you will have any contacts in Australia that you'll need to do the assignment*"

Thing is, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY will actually respond to these emails. You'd have to be insane. Picking group members you don't know personally is a crapshoot already. Add in a high chance that the candidate barely speaks English and won't be able to write anything that doesn't take hours to edit, and you've got yourself a terrible choice. You could argue that its racist, but group projects are all about communication. Generally, the groups made of exclusively international kids will do pretty well in practical tasks, if they're all from the same place, because they all speak the same first language.

*It was an assignment where you had to go and interview someone at a related company.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Can someone sum up the whole Kathy Jackson thing.
From what I can gather she was championed as a whistle blower in the Thompson scandal, then it was discovered she's been up to no good herself. So I'm curious to why did the Libs cozy up to her in the first place? And why does that revelation of her misdoing scare them off when you sort of have an perfect example of a Union secretary being corrupt as they come - surely she'd be the perfect example to fire the Royal Commission at?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

WebDog posted:

Can someone sum up the whole Kathy Jackson thing.
From what I can gather she was championed as a whistle blower in the Thompson scandal, then it was discovered she's been up to no good herself. So I'm curious to why did the Libs cozy up to her in the first place? And why does that revelation of her misdoing scare them off when you sort of have an perfect example of a Union secretary being corrupt as they come - surely she'd be the perfect example to fire the Royal Commission at?
That's a pretty fair summation.

Traitor inside union decides to use Liberal paid for lawyers to improve her factional position by throwing opponents under bus. Liberal backers laugh because when the time comes she is the perfect candidate for also going under the bus. See also Jo Jo de Bruyn. The right factions in unions are money in the bank for Tory poo poo lords.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Splode posted:

Universities man.

The concept of "Accept any international student for those big dollars, regardless of their ability to communicate" is combined with "Make everything group work so it's easier to mark" is a loving catastrophe.

I was receiving desperate emails sent by international students to everyone in the subject asking to join a group, and I've had lecturers actually say "international students don't all form a group together because none of you will have any contacts in Australia that you'll need to do the assignment*"

Thing is, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY will actually respond to these emails. You'd have to be insane. Picking group members you don't know personally is a crapshoot already. Add in a high chance that the candidate barely speaks English and won't be able to write anything that doesn't take hours to edit, and you've got yourself a terrible choice. You could argue that its racist, but group projects are all about communication. Generally, the groups made of exclusively international kids will do pretty well in practical tasks, if they're all from the same place, because they all speak the same first language.

*It was an assignment where you had to go and interview someone at a related company.

It's not racist at all when it's based on the fact that the person in question lacks a critical skill for completing the assignment, i.e. being able to communicate. It's also important to emphasize that this lack is absolutely not their fault, this is exactly why you have entrance exams but of course the universities are chasing the short term buck lest they be forced to cut back on programs and layoff staff. But all of this can be laid at the feet of an incompetent and destructive government with a sense of foresight that doesn't extend past their noses, but at least they're honest about it:

Tony Abbott posted:

'I'm focusing not on what might happen in 16 years' time.'

Right Tony?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

Universities man.

Almost every group assignment I've done at uni has assigned groups to students not had students from their own.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Regarding the paid assignment writing services thing, I'm just dirty that about missing an opportunity to earn extra cash. I could easily crank out a distinction level 1500-3000 word undergrad biology paper every fortnight.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

CH9 reporting Police have been given the power to strip search anyone suspicious looking over the G20 long weekend in order to prevent protests.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cartoon posted:

That's a pretty fair summation.

Traitor inside union decides to use Liberal paid for lawyers to improve her factional position by throwing opponents under bus. Liberal backers laugh because when the time comes she is the perfect candidate for also going under the bus. See also Jo Jo de Bruyn. The right factions in unions are money in the bank for Tory poo poo lords.

Watching her downfall will be delightful and I will not feel any sorry for her at all. Not only has she dirtied the name of her union, she has destroyed the confidence of lowly paid nurses to join it. I am not saying Thompson is innocent in this all, but Jackson was a far bigger thief than him. The Libs only went for Thompson in the hopes he'd leave parliament and the by election for his seat would go their way.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WebDog posted:

Cartoon posted:

While the backers have some clues, the party has none, so this is the kind of backfire they run into every time. It's a great example of where the strategy might be right, but tactically it's completely bonkers and their wunderkinds always betray them because they don't research and they don't network outside their tribe. There might be potential in right factions in unions, it doesn't mean they have a clue how to utilize them.

But because the MSM is in their pocket only a fringe player like Independent Australia makes the running on the story, which needs to be put into a brief page 10 in the Hun to avoid any kind of self-examination which ahhahaha was never going to happen. So they never learn from their mistakes. We can only hope this leads to an almighty fuckup ahahaha who am I kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Can't be hosed looking up a source but apparently the 'approved' G20 protestors can only have banners 10 cm by 20 cm. We are past farce now. My Domino's flyer is an illegal banner.

• Locked thread