Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Scholtz posted:

What was your third game? Those are pretty cheap games to use a B2G1 sale for.

South Park for PS3.

greatn posted:

Well, the thing that does kind of suck for you is those were already price reduced anyway so you're not getting much of a deal.

Hmm, it looks like I was dumb for buying the WiiU games for $30 apiece. Good thing they're still sealed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
okay guys I got:
Bayonetta
Hyrule Warriors
Donkey kong

from b2g1 free sale.

Where do I start??

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

manpurse posted:

okay guys I got:
Bayonetta
Hyrule Warriors
Donkey kong

from b2g1 free sale.

Where do I start??

You start by kissing goodbye to your free time.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Ultigonio posted:

as a composer, the last thing I'd want people to tell me about some chunk of my work is that it sounds exactly like all my other work

That is very neat Ultigonio! I'll have to look out for when you post about game music - it'd be interesting to hear what a composer thought about Wii U game compositions!

the truth posted:

Tonight I bough W101 and ZombiU based on recommendations from this thread as part of the Target B2G1 deal. Hope they don't suck!

Hope you got them for $20 - $30 bucks. I think they're both great games because they're well-executed and have some unique gameplay. The uniqueness can turn people off though; ZombiU is not a typical "gun down zombies" game but instead is more like a Rogue-like, and W101 has probably the most creative core gameplay of a Platinum title wrapped up in the ubiquitous Platinum style. Of course because it's a Platinum game make sure you buy your block and dodge moves (Guts and Spring) because the game is much more difficult without them, though it's certainly not going to tell you that!

Also Canvas Curse was awesome and The Rainbow Curse looks awesome too!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PrBacterio posted:

Your HDTV presumably runs at 1080p, while all those games you've mentioned render at 720p natively so yes, it's probably the upscaling that's doing it. You can set it up so that either the WiiU does the scaling itself or leaves it to your TV, depending on which one has the better scaling algorithm built in, but I forget how to do that just now.

Lemming posted:

If there's an overscan setting on your TV make sure to turn it off. It seems to be on by default on a lot of TVs. What it's doing is cutting the edges of the signal off on all the sides in case of interference, which never happens, so you get a slightly zoomed in version of whatever you're watching and it looks really lovely.

Hmm okay thanks for the replies. Overscan is definitely off. I guess I gotta just fiddle with it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm returning ZombiU. I paid $61 plus tax for all three games (South Park $31, the other two $30), so after the discount W101 will be about $20.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Hmm okay thanks for the replies. Overscan is definitely off. I guess I gotta just fiddle with it.

Make sure sharpening is set to 0 too, that's one of those obsolete settings that just add noise to hd pictures.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
Vinesauce are streaming Sanic '14 now:
http://www.twitch.tv/pelikuni

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

the truth posted:

I'm returning ZombiU. I paid $61 plus tax for all three games (South Park $31, the other two $30), so after the discount W101 will be about $20.

Think about your next post very carefully, it may determine your fate round these parts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ivy posted:

Vinesauce are streaming Sanic '14 now:
http://www.twitch.tv/pelikuni

Just what Sonic needed, huge, open, empty levels.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Question time:

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-STANDAR...%3D121383940878 +
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Inch-3-5M...=item43bd33025d

will allow me to connect regular pc speakers to my Wii u and get sound even while the HDMI cable is going from the console to a monitor at the same time, right

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Macaluso posted:

I don't think you have any settings wrong, you're just noticing that Nintendo games tend to be 720p and not have anti-aliasing.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Pegged Lamb posted:

Question time:

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wii-STANDAR...%3D121383940878 +
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Inch-3-5M...=item43bd33025d

will allow me to connect regular pc speakers to my Wii u and get sound even while the HDMI cable is going from the console to a monitor at the same time, right

I used this along with one of these.
But yes, it looks like your cheaper method should work as well, but obviously it will only be 480p.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't think you have any settings wrong, you're just noticing that Nintendo games tend to be 720p and not have anti-aliasing.

Yeah I opened up Windwaker HD and it looks perfect so. I mean, in Mario Kart 8 it's only slightly noticeable and the game is still really pretty, but I am disappointed it's actually very noticeable in Bayonetta 2 despite how fast the game's pace is. Not a huge deal though. Apparently Smash is gonna be 1080p so I'm hoping that turns out to be true.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So I bought a wii u and used he B2G3 at target to get Mario kart, hyrule warriors, and Mario 3d world. The bundle was super Mario/luigi.

Also bought one thin controller with a nunchuck.

I want to play wii virtual console games, so I presumably need to buy at least one old wii thin controller. Will those work on the Wii U, by chance? I want to play last blade 2 at home vs. my fiancée so I'm probably going to need two old controllers.

Really, the whole multiple controllers within a system, coupled with multiple controllers that look alike on the previous system, and sometimes one is compatible and sometimes not...it's very confusing.

Anyway other than pikmin and smash brothers what other wii u games should I target? Does the deus ex remake have enough in it to differentiate from the 360, especially if I never played the DLC?

Do he Ogre Battle games work well on wii VC?

Sorry for typos...this tablet is infuriating.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ivy posted:

I used this along with one of these.
But yes, it looks like your cheaper method should work as well, but obviously it will only be 480p.

The video should be in 1080, I'm just trying to see if I can use the AV out strictly for audio.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FairGame posted:

Also bought one thin controller with a nunchuck.

I want to play wii virtual console games, so I presumably need to buy at least one old wii thin controller. Will those work on the Wii U, by chance? I want to play last blade 2 at home vs. my fiancée so I'm probably going to need two old controllers.

If I understand you correctly here, you already bought one Wiimote and a nunchuck? If so you don't need to buy a second Wiimote unless you intend to play Wii games multiplayer.

To play Wii virtual console games, what you need is the Classic Controller. It works by attaching to the Wiimote in the same way that the Nunchuck does.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Regy Rusty posted:

If I understand you correctly here, you already bought one Wiimote and a nunchuck? If so you don't need to buy a second Wiimote unless you intend to play Wii games multiplayer.

To play Wii virtual console games, what you need is the Classic Controller. It works by attaching to the Wiimote in the same way that the Nunchuck does.

Is there not a wiimote and a wiimote U? Like...separate things? If so, I have the latter.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

FairGame posted:

Is there not a wiimote and a wiimote U? Like...separate things? If so, I have the latter.

I don't think so. I had an old wiimote that works great with my Wii U. I assume any new wiimotes is using the same hardware and are compatible with the old Wii.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

FairGame posted:

I'm going to guess what you got is a Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck. That's a Wii controller that is compatible with Wii U games. It's necessary to have one for Wii games, and you can still use it for Wii U games. If you want to play multiplayer Wii games with your fiancee you should get 2 - you can get the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuck from Nintendo for $25.

Like others have said, for Virtual Console games you might want to pick up a Classic Controller, which is a SNES like controller that plugs into the Wii Remote. Some VC games will work with just the Wii Remote turned sideways (typically NES games), but others require the Classic Controller (typically SNES games). Here's Nintendo's page about it.

Glad to hear you got some really great games! Mario 3D World is one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played, and Hyrule Warriors was really surprisingly great.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FairGame posted:

I think what you're talking about is the difference between the Wiimote and the Wiimote+ which is just a difference in the ability for motion controls. I don't think standard Wiimotes are even sold much anymore. At any rate both of them were made during the lifetime of the Wii and are compatible with all Wii games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sonic has a new drowning jingle for the new generation. Get with it, grandpa!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMIYm3KJnU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please play Kirby's Canvas Curse.

Edit: Gamexplain uploaded the final boss and ending to Captain Toad so if your avoiding spoilers on that game be aware.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 13, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sonic has a new drowning jingle for the new generation. Get with it, grandpa!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXMIYm3KJnU

I think we can safely say that any Sonic game that doesn't use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME for drowning is a bad sonic game. :colbert:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Looper posted:

Think about your next post very carefully, it may determine your fate round these parts

I thought about exchanging it for the new Sonic game, but they were sold out.

One of the worst sounds of my childhood. I never beat Labyrinth Zone because of it.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/YXIh5ldOpNjK_4ROED9rAGIfPpZNLHvA

quote:

To help fans start playing as soon as possible, we’re offering new buying options that let you pre-load most of the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U game before it launches.

Here’s how it works: If you pre-order on Nintendo.com, we’ll send your download code within 72 hours of the game’s launch. You can then redeem online or manually to pre-load the game. That means you’ll be able to play after a small game update when it’s officially released.

You may also pre-purchase directly from Nintendo eShop on your Wii U console and pre-load the game from there, OR purchase a download code from select retailers and pre-load to your Wii U console.

Of course, if you prefer, you may also pre-order a physical version of the game from a retailer.

I love that Nintendo figured out pre-loading digital copies of games!

Now we just need that unified account system in place...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am mildly annoyed that Google has finally gotten around to adjusting their settings on Youtube so that the Wii U browser shows ads.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

FairGame posted:

There's only two types of wiimotes the original launch wiimote and the wiimote plus. The only difference is that the original requires an addon to work with some games. Both types of wiimote work for both the wii and the wii u and unless you got an old wiimote used you definitely have a wiimote plus.

Wii VC games from the SNES era and on will require a classic controller to play. They are a traditional style gamepad that plugs into the wiimote where the nunchuck goes. Nintendo doesn't make them anymore so you're stuck combing pawnshops or buying a knockoff. There are shitloads of knockoffs available on amazon but I have no idea what the quality of them is like. The gamepad and pro controller only work with Wii U games and are not supported by Wii mode.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: Gamexplain uploaded the final boss and ending to Captain Toad so if your avoiding spoilers on that game be aware.

Look YouTube all I want is a way to get you to never show me videos with certain keywords. Is that so much to ask???

At this point, I'm stuck with praying that YouTube doesn't think I'm interested in watching Captain Toad.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Ultigonio posted:

Look YouTube all I want is a way to get you to never show me videos with certain keywords. Is that so much to ask???

At this point, I'm stuck with praying that YouTube doesn't think I'm interested in watching Captain Toad.

Search for "CoD no scope headshot" and "Doritos Locos Mt. Dew" and you'll never see another recommended Nintendo video again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did y'all know Sonic Boom is also a TV show that airs right now in real life? Surprising, I know.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lagomorphic posted:

There's only two types of wiimotes the original launch wiimote and the wiimote plus. The only difference is that the original requires an addon to work with some games. Both types of wiimote work for both the wii and the wii u and unless you got an old wiimote used you definitely have a wiimote plus.

Also just FYI, for multiplayer purposes everyone either has motion plus going or they don't. So with say Wii Sports Resort as an example if you have some people without the motion plus remote/add on then no one will be able to take advantage. But this will make some games that require motion plus to work at all unplayable with more than one person unless each person's remote either has the add-on or is a motion plus remote.

Nintendo made a better version of the classic controller for the Wii, that newer version is like $30 if you want to buy a new one. But if you go on Amazon/etc. you can get the original for like $6 new which is pretty cool since almost every game you're going to get for the VC doesn't particularly benefit from the newer model's more dual shock-esque layout. I would just get the original model before considering a knockoff. Most of them are pretty crappy, and there are a few third party Wii U pro controllers that are all universally trash never not get the Nintendo one if you're going to get one.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 13, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Neo Rasa posted:

Nintendo made a better version of the classic controller for the Wii, that newer version is like $30 if you want to buy a new one. But if you go on Amazon/etc. you can get the original for like $6 new which is pretty cool since almost every game you're going to get for the VC doesn't particularly benefit from the newer model's more dual shock-esque layout.

The 6 dollar one is a knockoff, dont do it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

noirstronaut posted:

Did y'all know Sonic Boom is also a TV show that airs right now in real life? Surprising, I know.

From what I've seen, the show is actually not bad and kinda fun.

Unlike the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unlike the game.

So it's a licensed game thing then?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gutcruncher posted:

The 6 dollar one is a knockoff, dont do it!

Really? The EastVita ones seem fine from what I've used. I mean it's better to get the originals of course but the best bet for that is going to be to troll GameStops until you find a used one in good shape which if you're not in the extremes of either a big city or an affluent suburb can be difficult.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Nintendo made a better version of the classic controller for the Wii, that newer version is like $30 if you want to buy a new one. But if you go on Amazon/etc. you can get the original for like $6 new which is pretty cool since almost every game you're going to get for the VC doesn't particularly benefit from the newer model's more dual shock-esque layout. I would just get the original model before considering a knockoff. Most of them are pretty crappy, and there are a few third party Wii U pro controllers that are all universally trash never not get the Nintendo one if you're going to get one.

Are you talking about the difference between normal classic controller and the Classic Controller pro? because yeah, the only difference is the joysticks and ZR/ZL buttons.
Wii U Pro is perfect though. Wii compatibility when?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unlike the game.

otoh they've apparently burnt the best idea they'll ever have already (Eggman having to sleep on Sonic's couch for a few days)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

otoh they've apparently burnt the best idea they'll ever have already (Eggman having to sleep on Sonic's couch for a few days)

Is that the "Eggman fakes an injury to take Sonic to court" episode I read about when they announced the show?

• Locked thread