Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
So I stumbled upon this. It looks like he literally owns ALL the star wars action figures.
also featured: wookie eyebrows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPuHsXYm84g

hello new page! This show is good, star wars nerds are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Now that Ezra is effectively part of the crew, can they just give him a gun, already?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah I hope the sling shot is short lived but I assume that it is a permanent fixture, sadly

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They're already marketing him to have a lightsaber whose aperture is fixed to some kind of gun if I recall so it's not obvious what he's carrying around. It looks fairly awkward honestly, but (a) it's better than the slingshot, and I say that as someone who doesn't actually mind the slingshot and (b) it's probably supposed to be in universe given that it's presumably a fairly ghetto piece of work. That said, he's probably going to keep the slingshot regardless since it's a rather tiny piece of equipment and can function as a last resort thing.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I am totally down with a gunsaber

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I too am fine with the slingshot because the show itself makes it clear that the thing is as stupid and useless as it looks on multiple occasions. Plus Ezra is indeed getting that lightsaber eventually.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Having the gun lightsabre isnt too crazy given Ezra is buddying up with Zeb more and more as the show goes on and he essentially has the same style of gun/melee weapon.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I assume that the stupid slingshot thing is an issue of modelling. They paid for it to be modelled and animated, so they're gonna use that loop drat it. The same reason that Sabine wears full combat armor all the time -- she literally doesn't have another outfit.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I assume that the stupid slingshot thing is an issue of modelling. They paid for it to be modelled and animated, so they're gonna use that loop drat it. The same reason that Sabine wears full combat armor all the time -- she literally doesn't have another outfit.

Remember, in Clone Wars, All of the jedi were shown to sleep on top of the covers in full combat gear until season 3 or so, where everyone got an art upgrade, a new costume, and some casualwear.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I figured it was a censors issue, they didn't want the kid main character wielding a gun.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It probably is a combination of the modelling issue, plus also having to give Ezra something starting out whilst not having to explain where or how the kid got a blaster and, if so, why he isn't the more dangerous kind of thief. The slingshot would evidently work for small scale thievery, but he wouldn't be able to go guns blazing against an Imperial armoury.

Except, well, now he has to as part of weekly life, so eventually he'll have to upgrade.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Astro Nut posted:

It probably is a combination of the modelling issue, plus also having to give Ezra something starting out whilst not having to explain where or how the kid got a blaster and, if so, why he isn't the more dangerous kind of thief. The slingshot would evidently work for small scale thievery, but he wouldn't be able to go guns blazing against an Imperial armoury.

Except, well, now he has to as part of weekly life, so eventually he'll have to upgrade.

Disney could well have some kind of rule about minors killing people. Sabine explodes people, but she's also clearly a bit older than Ezra. There could be some arbitrary "no one 16 or below can be shown engaging in lethal violence"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

ShineDog posted:

Disney could well have some kind of rule about minors killing people. Sabine explodes people, but she's also clearly a bit older than Ezra. There could be some arbitrary "no one 16 or below can be shown engaging in lethal violence"

...Getting a lightsaber and a mission against the Empire as a sixteenth birthday present would be pretty rad.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
A little off-topic but I just finished the Clone Wars and I can't stop laughing that Lucas personally changed Korriban to Morabund because he thought it sounded too much like Coruscant.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

A little off-topic but I just finished the Clone Wars and I can't stop laughing that Lucas personally changed Korriban to Morabund because he thought it sounded too much like Coruscant.

I'm convinced that George Lucas has the same grasp of the English language as an 8 year old with a thesaurus.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

nutranurse posted:

I'm convinced that George Lucas has the same grasp of the English language as an 8 year old with a thesaurus.

No, that's just the demographic he's aiming for :v:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Presumably they are recruiting force sensitives. The Inquisitor had to come from somewhere. Eliminating most force sensitives makes sense since they represent a huge threat to Imperial security. I mean, they already tried to throw a coup to overthrow the previous regime (public perception) and it appears to be a critical component of their faith to rule absolutely (sith perception). Either way, minimizing force sensitives and making sure what force sensitives you have are fanatically loyal to the regime makes sense. It's actually not that different than what the Republic did.

Imagine an alternate universe, where after the Auspicious Incident, Mahmud II decided to recreate the Janissary corp with hand selected fresh-recruits rather than just adopting a modern military. That seems to be what the Emperor is doing, since the Inquisitor is clearly a force-user that isn't Vader.

I haven't read any of the EU stuff, so I have no idea if that makes sense in that context, but thankfully, that doesn't matter anymore.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Even if so, its probably one of the most easy to explain things in the franchise - and actually has an element that doesn't tend to come up with fictional countries and/or planets. Place is so old its referred to by multiple names in different eras.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The art for the chase scene at the beginning of this episode was really great. Loving this show.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is the episode that dropped tonight the 6th one?

I admit I am fairly confused by this show because of the on demand thing

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Fetus Tree posted:

Is the episode that dropped tonight the 6th one?

I admit I am fairly confused by this show because of the on demand thing

Not counting the movie, the episode that came out tonight, Out of Darkness, is the fifth episode. The 6th episode was released on Disney XD. So the regular season is up to episode 5, while those with access to XD can watch up to 6.

Speaking of which, is anyone else's XD not working? I have ATT U-verse but when I try to load the episodes, it won't load.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I watched the newest one available for streaming:

Cool, the very first 2 parter (or more)! I liked giving Ezra some background story other than random orphan. Also always cool to see the classic stuff. I said it before, but I think this episode really drives the point home. In the Clone Wars all the ships, equipment, walkers, etc. were geared toward invading/defending planets and territories. Now all the stuff looks like its there for civil control, a feeling you definitely got in the bar scene and at the parade.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

VaultAggie posted:

Speaking of which, is anyone else's XD not working? I have ATT U-verse but when I try to load the episodes, it won't load.

Do you have an ad blocker? Try pausing it to start the video and then unpause it when the video starts.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Have any materials been released detailing more on Sabine or the Mandelorian's revised background? If she was an Imperial Cadet it implies the Manderlorian mercenary army doesn't exist, or works differently to how it was in the old continuity. Certainly it looks like it didn't go extinct save for Jango, and presumably there is no Mandelorian animosity toward Jedi now.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Have any materials been released detailing more on Sabine or the Mandelorian's revised background? If she was an Imperial Cadet it implies the Manderlorian mercenary army doesn't exist, or works differently to how it was in the old continuity. Certainly it looks like it didn't go extinct save for Jango, and presumably there is no Mandelorian animosity toward Jedi now.

That's all up in the air right now. The last thing we saw, canonically, of Mandalore was its descent into civil war, Satine's death also signalling the death of her dream for a Mandalore defined by something other than its warrior past. My current bet is that after its formation, the Empire stepped in to restore order to the planet, but could only manage so much. Indeed, given its views of dissidents, versus the kind of fanaticism that made up Death Watch, its possible that they have use extreme methods to keep things in line - methods Sabine may have been an unwitting party to.

Edit: Just watched Empire Day. And its very hard for me to say if this or Rise of the Old Masters was better. Because where that episode worked well to address how Rebels follows on from Clone Wars, and the state of the Jedi, this one cements Rebels' place in the build up to ANH - where Luke's journey begins, Rebels will seemingly climax - and the path for the galaxy ahead. The action for this episode was also really good, with a lot of minor character moments laced in. Zeb's desire for payback on Kallus, Kanan wanting to avoid the Inquisitor, stuff like that. And imagine my surprise when a stormtrooper, of all people, managed to prove competent in a fistfight. I was not expecting a cliffhanger, and it only dawned on me when I questioned how they could possibly pull off a reveal with little to no time left, and then wham.

There's a bunch of small details to spot in the episode too. Old Clone Wars stuff being recycled, a Dark Forces data disk, the development of the AT-AT and TIE Bomber - deliberate siege weapons - as part of the five year plan, the Imperial March being pretty much confirmed as the in universe anthem, and Baron Rhudor finally get named in universe. That poor, poor schmuck.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 11, 2014

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Whats the best way to watch this poo poo? I have ATT Uverse and my DVR season pass for this show never works and the the on demand only has 1 episode. I've just been downloading the web rips because it seems like I am always behind this thread.

is watchdisneyxd.com the best way to do this? I can log in with my uverse there

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Whats the best way to watch this poo poo? I have ATT Uverse and my DVR season pass for this show never works and the the on demand only has 1 episode. I've just been downloading the web rips because it seems like I am always behind this thread.

is watchdisneyxd.com the best way to do this? I can log in with my uverse there

If you can access it, yes. Its where the episodes come up first - and a week in advance of the TV airings.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
So

is apparently what Ezra's lightsaber is going to look like, and also its a gunblade.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Guys how is a Disney show about the rise of the rebels in cgi featuring a streetwise padawan so good? All signs pointed to poo poo.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god drat give the music editors a medal for this series making the Imperial March sound triumphant? That was awesome

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Guys how is a Disney show about the rise of the rebels in cgi featuring a streetwise padawan so good? All signs pointed to poo poo.
That's because there's been a distinct lack of superweapons, Jedi clones and Force-resistant lizards.

Shbobdb posted:

Presumably they are recruiting force sensitives. The Inquisitor had to come from somewhere.
Is the Inquisitor a Force user, though? So far, he hasn't used any flashy stuff, has he?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

meristem posted:

That's because there's been a distinct lack of superweapons, Jedi clones and Force-resistant lizards.

Is the Inquisitor a Force user, though? So far, he hasn't used any flashy stuff, has he?

He's thrown his saber and controlled its flight, and otherwise kept pace with Kanan. It might be that he's not actually so good at it though - part of why he has the spinning saber is because he can't quite do double sided combat right, so he cheats.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Aces High posted:

god drat give the music editors a medal for this series making the Imperial March sound triumphant? That was awesome

When is this?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Aces High posted:

Did they use/were they inspired by the cues from tie fighter? Because that did the same thing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Sith Happens posted:

When is this?

At the parade. Rather than dominant and oppressive, its played jaunty and uplifting. Really works well.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Astro Nut posted:

At the parade. Rather than dominant and oppressive, its played jaunty and uplifting. Really works well.

Oh, ok. I'm an episode behind, since I'm watching them as their air rather than via streaming.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Latest episode, Empire Day was awesome. My kids cheered when the TIE Advanced piloted by the Inquisitor turned up

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ShineDog posted:

Did they use/were they inspired by the cues from tie fighter? Because that did the same thing.

no it's actually pretty discreet, I almost didn't notice it until it played out longer and then I was like "hey wait a minute, this sounds familiar" whereas in TIE Fighter you could still tell what movie piece it was emulating or using outright. It wasn't so much that it was being used in more of a triumphant manner instead of a foreboding manner like in ESB, it was more that changing the timbre, the metre and a few other musical elements helped disguise the piece just enough that you wouldn't notice unless you're really paying attention.

But we're all huge Star Wars nerds here so of course we can figure it out because the outline of the piece is still intact, like I said I was just blown away by how good a of a job the music people did :) it really adds to the character of this show, a reason (I think) why it is going so well so far

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
The IM plays also as background music to the TV news.

Anyway, I enjoyed some of the implications of this episode. Namely, Ezra was born around the same time as the Jedi massacre happened in RoTS. He's also only a few days older than Luke and Leia!. On the other hand, VTOL TIEs freak me out for some reason I can't really comprehend. Probably I'm simply not used to it... Do they do this hover mid-air, land straight-down thing anywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

meristem posted:

The IM plays also as background music to the TV news.

Anyway, I enjoyed some of the implications of this episode. Namely, Ezra was born around the same time as the Jedi massacre happened in RoTS. He's also only a few days older than Luke and Leia!. On the other hand, VTOL TIEs freak me out for some reason I can't really comprehend. Probably I'm simply not used to it... Do they do this hover mid-air, land straight-down thing anywhere else?

I think they are seen sat on the Endor landing platforms, implying VTOL. Plus they don't have landing gear wheels, being primarily starfighters used in atmosphere because they are cheap.

Wasn't that a Skyprey in the schematics? An EU design?

• Locked thread