Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Starhawk64 posted:

I dunno if Nintendo spacing the DLC in that such a long time frame is either brilliant or stupid. Stupid because I want the content I paid for NOW, brilliant because it means I have something to look forward to and it helps increase the lifespan of the game.

Well I'm guessing the content isn't done being made yet, so there's that.

But I'm also guessing that the announced release date for DLC2 won't exactly have them working late nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Capsaicin posted:

Until the DLC comes out that you can play as Isabelle, is there any reason to not play as Roy?

no

To be more specific, there will never be any reason to not play as Roy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAJIZhZ2oAU

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
I don't understand why people like rainbow road. It's one of the worst maps.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Rikimaru posted:

I don't understand why people like rainbow road. It's one of the worst maps.

The part of N64 Rainbow Road when you do the loop around the big star, as you drift the wall of stars fly by and you catch a glimpse of the town below, and the music kicks in to that awesome part... always put a smile on me.

I'm not sure it's an especially good track, but man do I love that part.

Neo Rainbow Road I could take or leave.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mario Kart 8's normal rainbow road doesn't do much for me. Taking the great and unique rainbow road theme and mashing it with generic satellite space station stuff doesn't quite work.

I eagerly await the return of Mario Kart 7's original rainbow road track, though. It's a "one lap around one massive course" level, and includes jaunts across the moon and saturn's rings.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
If you're too excited to wait, the DLC tracks have already had their music posted up on YouTube.

Mute City
Ice Ice Outpost
SNES Rainbow Road

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

Mario Kart 8's normal rainbow road doesn't do much for me. Taking the great and unique rainbow road theme and mashing it with generic satellite space station stuff doesn't quite work.

I eagerly await the return of Mario Kart 7's original rainbow road track, though. It's a "one lap around one massive course" level, and includes jaunts across the moon and saturn's rings.

Wait, MK7 RR is coming back?
I know SNES RR is, which is great because that was my favorite track on Mario Kart 7.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Ivy posted:

Wait, MK7 RR is coming back?
I know SNES RR is, which is great because that was my favorite track on Mario Kart 7.

Well, every track's going to come back eventually. I think that's the inevitability he was indicating.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh yeah also the DLC's out.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Updating right now, can't wait to try Link out :)

edit-
update's completed, says 3.0 now, but now I'm downloading the new tracks n stuff

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 13, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Downloading now

Woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so glad I checked the net to assure I won't be getting back to bed anytime soon :downs:

Edit: Wait download finished and Link and co are still locked. Says I'm on version 2.0 though.

Edit2: Got it! Man these courses are loving HARD

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 13, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How many blocks is the DLC update? I'd like to get it now but I'm pretty sure I don't have the room.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh poo poo, Link's a heavy, sharing stats with Roy and Waluigi. Was not expecting that. Still, no reason to play as anybody but Roy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played through all the tracks now. They're all really really well done but super hard for heavy weights because they bend all over the drat place at all times. The "bumps" down yoshi's back are straight up impossible for them so you pretty much have to go flying over the grass with a well timed hop.

Ice Ice Outpost is really great, possibly my favorite.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I really like the excite bike track, it reminds me of baby park how it can get crazy with the items

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The ice level is really cool and the F-Zero track is rad but the Zelda track is some hella wicked bananas. It's got keese that fly out and around, and it's got deku babas instead of piranha plants and it replaces your coins with rupees and it makes me want a mario game set in hyrule and a zelda game set in the mushroom kingdom. It's basically the perfect track.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ice Ice Outpost is the best track. SNES Rainbow Road still sucks.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Is goonvitational carts not running right now? I can't seem to catch anybody online even though I can join the game.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I downloaded an update but all the characters are still locked and it still says 2.0.

Is there something else you gotta do?

E: it's downloaded something else all of a sudden. I'll get used to consoles someday.

MechaSeinfeld fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 13, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played excitebike with a friend 3 times, track layout was the same every time. Cool.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I've only played the egg cup so far, but these tracks have exceeded my expectations. The attention to detail is great, like the billboards on mute city and the yoshi track. The tracks generally seem to be a step up in difficulty from the main game (which is alright by me). There doesn't seem to be any new miiverse stamps for the new characters though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have but three (tiny and pedantic) complaints. 1) it is just WRONG to do a Rainbow Road in the middle of a Grand Prix. 2) why are there no stamps for the characters and tracks? 3) the Grand Prix trophies are identical except for a logo on the front.

Other than that, I've got my money's worth from Pack 1. Great returning tracks, an F-Zero course, Link, and just overall a drat good return on investment.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow they did a night update after all? I guess Mario Kart is a sufficiently big deal.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Beaten to the "no new stamps" observation (seems like a silly oversight, maybe nobody ever used them). The Excitebike track seems like an obvious candidate for Battle but no changes there either.

Still though, having played everything once, I'm happy with my purchase. Ice Ice Outpost and Hyrule Circuit (?) are my favourites so far.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also getting the ol' F-Zero "get ready" sound followed by the Mario Kart "3-2-1" sound is hella incongruous.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Wow they did a night update after all? I guess Mario Kart is a sufficiently big deal.
It was simultaneous release worldwide. So it was a morning release for Europe and an afternoon release for Japan.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
It's so good. It's so so good.

EDIT: The touches given for Mute City are fantastic. The extra music is just so great. I only wish they had added N64 styled '3, 2, 1, GO!' voice.
Also, thrilled about SNES Rainbow Road.

Grandpa Goodtimes fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 13, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't know people disliked SNES Rainbow Road but it's my favourite and I'm glad it's back. I think Mute City is the best track in the DLC though

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Played my first round of SNES Rainbow Road. Glad to see I'm the only one who apparently enjoys my life.

I think I lapped every single racer because everyone was just mass suiciding, it's MK7 all over again! :psyduck:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

All of the courses are winners, with love and care put into them.

My only issue is that VS race STILL locks you into 32 courses as the maximum.

You can choose the courses and use the dlc that way, but my dream of playing all 40 courses together is apparently not going to come true. :(

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Ugh, everyone is having fun playing Mario Kart again, this is not what I need right now!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Wow these new courses are biased towards sharp turning bikes so bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Dragon Driftway or whatever it's called is the poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aww why'd the Master Cycle have to be a sport bike. :(

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

enojy posted:

Oh poo poo, Link's a heavy, sharing stats with Roy and Waluigi. Was not expecting that. Still, no reason to play as anybody but Roy.

Ohshi-

Question remains: is the Epona bike inside drift?!

Regy Rusty posted:

Aww why'd the Master Cycle have to be a sport bike. :(

That would be... yes?

Otherwise Link is riding the Yoshi Bike.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohshi-

That would be... yes?

Yes sport bikes are the inside drifters.

I hate them.

Quitte
Nov 2, 2011

nee-deep

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohshi-

It is and it has different stats than the other inside drifting bikes (a bit more speed and weight, a bit less handling and acceleration)!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohshi-

That would be... yes?

Eponator is inside drift yeah, which broke me as I can't use those at all.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish there was a free roaming camera mode so I could stop and take a look at all the details in the background because the tracks look so good, especially Mute City and the chinese dragon one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Tanooki Mario's pose where he turns into the statue.

Played both cups now and they're really great. The only course I don't care for is SNES Rainbow road. I even like the Excite Bike track way more than I thought I was going to.

They're also pretty hard (or I'm pretty rusty) so it's gonna be fun getting good again.

• Locked thread