Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

thelightguy posted:

People (tourists especially) in Manhattan are gleefully oblivious to automobiles, of course there are excessive pedestrian fatalities. If you want to make a case that cars should be banned on the island, I'd be all for it, but driving in Manhattan as is is a special exercise in trying to not run down the most oblivious midwesterners to ever step off a double-decker bus tour.

Boy howdy it sure would be silly if New Yorkers ever acquired a reputation for having a brusque manner toward strangers, and that this disregard somehow got blamed for the high incidence of pedestrian fatalities, because it would make your statement quite embarrassing!

But no, it surely doesn't have anything to do with a sociopathic level of entitlement and lack of empathy that driving culture appears to hold there regarding pedestrians in such a walking-oriented city. It makes far more sense that the pedestrians there are all from foreign places where they are completely unfamiliar with automobiles, like the midwest.

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao this thread got cool

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Agreed, forums poster Chinatown.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Boy howdy it sure would be silly if New Yorkers ever acquired a reputation for having a brusque manner toward strangers, and that this disregard somehow got blamed for the high incidence of pedestrian fatalities, because it would make your statement quite embarrassing!

But no, it surely doesn't have anything to do with a sociopathic level of entitlement and lack of empathy that driving culture appears to hold there regarding pedestrians in such a walking-oriented city. It makes far more sense that the pedestrians there are all from foreign places where they are completely unfamiliar with automobiles, like the midwest.

Let's just agree that everyone in New York, both the people piloting the 2-ton death machines in a metropolitan area that should have none at all and the people blindly walking in front of them with no regard to their safety or survival, is to blame.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
RIP to our friend NOTinuyasha. :rip:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I hope that autoban has a dash cam so we can see the glorious mess.

Apr 7, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Window tinting, wheel locks, backup camera. Estimated time from the dealer for the backup camera was an hour and a half, turned into two days because Chrysler can't figure out their own wiring.

I took my soon to be sold '00 528iT to a brake shop cause the brake sensor decided to go off the moment I bought the Charger, was intent on pads only even though I knew going in the rotors were long overdue, but they were so badly rusted cracks were developing and it was straight up suicide to put them back in, so I ended up burning $450 on a car I'll maybe get 3k for if I'm lucky. Having a conscience is expensive.

ahahahaha he's speeding and threatening pedestrians in a literal rolling dumpster

Apr 7, 2003

Maybe he put this on YouTube too:

NOTinuyasha posted:

Ask me about getting kicked out of a Mazda6 during a test drive for being too reckless. The salesperson didn't do so directly, just sort of asked me to pull over and insisted I let my friend take the wheel after I had a little too much fun on a cul-de-sac.

I don't understand test drive policies. Most wouldn't even let me drive it out of the lot until the salesperson had driven all the way to a 'safe' neighborhood then flipped out if I got anywhere near breaking the speed limit. What's the point? I'm supposed to be testing it, right? I already know the car is capable of both moving in a straight line and turning at reasonable speeds, no need to verify that.

Exceptions were the VW dealer and the Mopar dealer, both of which just handed me the keys and politely asked I return the car in one piece. I test drove that Charger like I stole it (i.e a typical day) and realized it was The One. Mazda might've had better luck with me had they just done the same.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Maybe he put this on YouTube too:

Cool, this retard is going to murder somebody one day

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The worst part is it looks like hes just staying off the forums for a while until everyone forgets instead of just not being a piece of poo poo on the road.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Dashcam Thread: Pedestrians Beware

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The worst part is it looks like hes just staying off the forums for a while until everyone forgets instead of just not being a piece of poo poo on the road.

When he comes back just convince him to buy a motorcycle and the problem will take care of itself

Apr 7, 2003

Can you operate a dashcam with one arm?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

ValleyGirl posted:

I passed on the G1W, and I wish that the Mini 0803 was available when I bought mine - it looks like a much better package than what I've got. The 801 was available at the time I was buying, but the 140 degree wide angle lens (vs 135 degree) is what tipped me over in the direction of the SeeZeus GT680W. If I were buying today, it would be the 803...

That said, I'm very happy with my GT680W... I love it so much, I've started a small series of Dashcam videos for YouTube, capturing the various driving incidents I deal with on a day to day basis. Only the major idiots end up here, I tend to let little stuff slide. Quality is fantastic both at night and during the day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9YHYiSTvo

The quality is pretty good on the videos, comparable but slightly better than the G1W from the video I've taken with mine. I've got some fresh footage on my 0803, I'll try and share some tomorrow. :)

sanchez posted:

I'm pretty happy with my 0803, the mounting style makes it a lot more discreet than the G1W was, I have it mounted on the back of a toll transponder. Running it with an anker power supply rather than the adapter it came with, hopefully the power quality is better and helps its reliability some.

I'm using the USB hub I posted a page or two back. It is definitely more discreet than the G1W, but I already dislike how close to the windshield the thing sits. It really picks up glare that the G1W never did because of its proximity to the windshield.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Finally bought myself a mount and joined the dashcam crowd. Ended up using an old android cell phone with Blackbox, and a suction mount to fit on the windscreen. Seems to work pretty well, although the battery life isn't great, needs to be plugged in constantly or the daily commute will kill it by the time I get home.

Caught a picture of the first M4 I've seen in the wild today with it.

Of course the day before I pick this up there's a 3 car pileup and a truck on it's side during my commute, and perfect drivers today.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My dealership has a phoenix yellow and neon lime M4s sitting out on the display pads.

HHHNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Dashcam Thread: Pedestrians Beware

Dashcam Thread: Catching Morons Locally

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

What are the current recommendations, if the G1W is behind the times? I saw the post about the B40/A118 and it not tolerating heat, so for Houston that sounds right out, and I also saw some references to the SJ1000 and SJ4000 and the Mini 0803. I really think I'd like the SJ4000, but I would also like a pair of cameras in the end. Even if they're not the same model, I can have front and rear with the front of course being the higher quality camera.

If it matters, I drive a 2007 VW Rabbit (which is the golf in every other market) so the windshield is raked really far forward, but in the rear it's pretty much a vertical pane of glass. Currently I'm leaning towards the SJ1000 or SJ4000 for the front and maybe the Mini 0803 for the rear, does anyone see anything out of place with this pairing, or have negative (or any, really) experience with the SJ4000? I'm not worried about the wiring side of things, I'm mainly concerned about weird mounting issues, software misbehavior, etc. I'll be watching Techmoan's review videos of the SJ4000, his review of the SJ1000 is what turned me away from it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Oddhair posted:

What are the current recommendations, if the G1W is behind the times? I saw the post about the B40/A118 and it not tolerating heat, so for Houston that sounds right out, and I also saw some references to the SJ1000 and SJ4000 and the Mini 0803. I really think I'd like the SJ4000, but I would also like a pair of cameras in the end. Even if they're not the same model, I can have front and rear with the front of course being the higher quality camera.

If it matters, I drive a 2007 VW Rabbit (which is the golf in every other market) so the windshield is raked really far forward, but in the rear it's pretty much a vertical pane of glass. Currently I'm leaning towards the SJ1000 or SJ4000 for the front and maybe the Mini 0803 for the rear, does anyone see anything out of place with this pairing, or have negative (or any, really) experience with the SJ4000? I'm not worried about the wiring side of things, I'm mainly concerned about weird mounting issues, software misbehavior, etc. I'll be watching Techmoan's review videos of the SJ4000, his review of the SJ1000 is what turned me away from it.

I am still very happy with my Mobius (a Techmoan favourite). It's had 4 firmware updates since I bought it and they have all added some good functionality (I can now record in MOV, AVI or MP4).

I can see myself using it forever - possibly relagating it to a rear-view use and adding in something with GPS for the front.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Möbius is the best, in my opinion.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
If you have a phone capable of remotely editing Mobius settings (google will reveal this) then I would say the Mobius should be your selection.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ok, so I just bought a shiny new car and I'm seriously considering getting a Mini 0803 dashcam for insurance purposes. One question though: that little digital display on the back of the camera, does that always stay on when the camera is plugged in or is there a way to turn it off while the cam is still recording? Apologies if this has been asked before.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ok, so I just bought a shiny new car and I'm seriously considering getting a Mini 0803 dashcam for insurance purposes. One question though: that little digital display on the back of the camera, does that always stay on when the camera is plugged in or is there a way to turn it off while the cam is still recording? Apologies if this has been asked before.

Can be set to turn off after 1/3/5min of power on.

Most cameras have this function.

The more annoying factor is the LEDs to indicate recording (Which I just cover with masking tape and dot with a sharpie to dim them down). My old dashcam looked like a god drat police siren flashing red and blue off the back of the mirror.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be investing in a 0803 and some masking tape.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'd use black nail polish. Other guy with the 0803 does yours lock up sometimes on startup? I have it maybe 1 in 15-20 times that it locks up with screen on solid blue led but not recording. Have to hard restart it then works fine after.

Maybe your newer firmware isn't doing this?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Mobius has an option to disable the blinking led completely, but it's not a very bright one to begin with.

And am I the only Mobius driver that has to bring the camera in for a recharge about once every two weeks? I've missed some good stuff because the battery drains out on me. Maybe my power outlet isn't putting out enough juice, I should check on that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

I'd use black nail polish. Other guy with the 0803 does yours lock up sometimes on startup? I have it maybe 1 in 15-20 times that it locks up with screen on solid blue led but not recording. Have to hard restart it then works fine after.

I have an 0803 and I have upgraded to one of the firmwares on that other site with no issues, except that I turned down the sharpness to 'soft' as they recommended due to standard over-sharpeniing but it seemed to make it way too soft so I went back to standard.

mine hasnt locked up on me yet, though the battery life is totally poo poo. I get maybe 2-5min before its dead from a full charge, even when not recording.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Horse Divorce posted:

Mobius has an option to disable the blinking led completely, but it's not a very bright one to begin with.

And am I the only Mobius driver that has to bring the camera in for a recharge about once every two weeks? I've missed some good stuff because the battery drains out on me. Maybe my power outlet isn't putting out enough juice, I should check on that.

Mine has been flawless with a $5 supercap from Banggood.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Christobevii3 posted:

I have the new firmware (20140915) and have not had it lock up yet. Settings are 1080p and fine (rather than soft.) Also video clips save every 3 minutes.

So far no word from the dashcamtalks guy as to whether or not my firmware dump is kosher either. Wish I knew how to check that out myself without flashing, but maybe you can flash --> flash back if it doesn't work.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Not mine but wanted to link it for Dashcam discussion. Dude rolls up on an ad-hoc roadblock with an unlit car on the side of the road, a definitely not-cop having blocked the lanes with cones, who walks up to the car and reaches into his pocket before it gets too weird for the driver to deal with. He drove through ASAP and called the cops.

http://jalopnik.com/this-fake-new-jersey-roadblock-is-incredibly-creepy-1655062683

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPZINVp0y8

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah the guy who filmed it posts on NASIOC OT section, been pretty amusing to see the video blow up.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Iridium posted:

Not mine but wanted to link it for Dashcam discussion. Dude rolls up on an ad-hoc roadblock with an unlit car on the side of the road, a definitely not-cop having blocked the lanes with cones, who walks up to the car and reaches into his pocket before it gets too weird for the driver to deal with. He drove through ASAP and called the cops.

http://jalopnik.com/this-fake-new-jersey-roadblock-is-incredibly-creepy-1655062683

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPZINVp0y8

I know I should not read Youtube comments but jeeeeesus christ... :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Trauma posted:

Yeah, that's bad even by YouTube standards.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh, wow, yeah they are.

I keep the comments div blocked with adblock so I don't normally see them. This, err, highlights why.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a few seconds of amusement to just go down the first page and report everything for hate speech.

I don't know if youtube actually polices that beyond deleting the comments but a guy can dream.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

A lot of those YouTube comments are random troll accounts when that video made the front page of reddit so I'd take them even less seriously than you would otherwise.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Hopping in to say my G1W from eBay (via China) has been working just fine for many months now and luckily I have had no cause to pull any clips because nothing has happened that is note worthy. Best $35 in "insurance" I have ever spent.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ijustam posted:

A lot of those YouTube comments are random troll accounts when that video made the front page of reddit so I'd take them even less seriously than you would otherwise.

The worst part is the hundreds of people who upvote the comments, not the comments themselves. Either they're done by other trolls or people who agree with the terrible racism and are unaware that it's trolling.

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
I got a little something! Of course, I get my G1W the week after a guy goes flying by me in a stolen car with cops in pursuit, takes the offramp, and smashes into an SUV (one caught, one escaped), but oh well. That was definitely the craziest thing I've seen while driving.

This was still funny, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7OilTA-Z4

I looked over to the woman at my left and we both cracked up at this clueless person.

Also, I am thinking about getting a Mobius for my front camera; my car's interior is all beige/tan, and the all-black G1W stands out pretty starkly against my rearview mirror. Also, I am interested in seeing how other dashcams stack up now that I have the admittedly well-functioning 'budget' camera. The Mobius seems at least a little more covert, but also seems to have a lot of potential problems according to this review. Anyone with experience with the Mobius/G1W care to weigh in? Particularly, why does the viewing angle drop when you go down in resolution (shouldn't it be the other way around)? My alternative would be just buying another G1W (maybe the G1WC) and painting it to match my interior for stealth purposes. Either way, I'd move the original G1W to the rear. I've definitely noticed people tailgating me way, way too closely a few times and a rear camera is a definite necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Samsquamsch posted:

Also, I am thinking about getting a Mobius for my front camera; my car's interior is all beige/tan, and the all-black G1W stands out pretty starkly against my rearview mirror. Also, I am interested in seeing how other dashcams stack up now that I have the admittedly well-functioning 'budget' camera. The Mobius seems at least a little more covert, but also seems to have a lot of potential problems according to this review. Anyone with experience with the Mobius/G1W care to weigh in? Particularly, why does the viewing angle drop when you go down in resolution (shouldn't it be the other way around)?

I have encounted precisely none of those issues: the worst I could say it that the heatsinks do indeed get hot to the touch if you use it on a hot day.

It works well in very low light, the dynamic range/exposure control work well, you can dial in colour correction on the latest firmware if you wish. It sits behind my rear view mirror - my GPS is on the dash directly beneath it.