Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ibntumart posted:

Infinidock works on iOS 8.1. It's not five icons, though. It just lets you put as many icons as you want and scroll through the dock.

Yeah but it's messed up on the 6+ (unless there was an update I didn't see) when you go into landscape mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

BrainDance posted:

Yeah but it's messed up on the 6+ (unless there was an update I didn't see) when you go into landscape mode.

Yeah that's my problem, not just ios8 but iphone 6+ with its weird resolution and landscape mode sideways dock.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Is that thing that hides the fact that you're jailbroken (tsprotector?) updated yet? Super Stickman Golf just started doing jailbreak checks and now I can't play my turn based games and I'm FREAKING OUT.

Yeah add the repo posted earlier, been working for me. I just started a new turn based stickman golf and played the first round so it seems that's working.

Moose-Alini fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 13, 2014

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Flex is also super great at killing a lot of these jailbreak checks, as well.

In fact, I would not be surprised if the functionality of TSProtector or similar tweaks could be duplicated perfectly just by using Flex.

I would also call Flex one of those must-own tweaks for anyone who likes to tinker under the hood of apps or games.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Any way to replace the folder icons? I've got a nice looking desire theme, but the folder screen looks really off.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is there something like Switchspring for iOS 8? And is Apple still signing 8.1? I'm still not sure I'm subjecting my 3rd gen iPad to an update, but I guess I might not have the option anymore anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So like 2 or 3 nights ago I stripped everything BUT the actual jailbreak off my 6+ to diagnose if the battery would go back to it's awesome '1.5 - 2 days without a charge' capacity.

It's still basically hitting 20% warning by about 9pm and I feel like I'm using my phone far less intensely than I was when it first came out (when it impressed me.)

If it's not the jailbreak (which I guess I will have to unjailbreak to find out... I wonder if maybe it is 8.1?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Feenix posted:

So like 2 or 3 nights ago I stripped everything BUT the actual jailbreak off my 6+ to diagnose if the battery would go back to it's awesome '1.5 - 2 days without a charge' capacity.

It's still basically hitting 20% warning by about 9pm and I feel like I'm using my phone far less intensely than I was when it first came out (when it impressed me.)

If it's not the jailbreak (which I guess I will have to unjailbreak to find out... I wonder if maybe it is 8.1?

I'm gonna unjailbreak later tonight. I'm gonna see if it makes a difference - I was gonna upgrade to 8.1.1 regardless

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tempted to do same. Please let me know what you discover. :)

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

ibntumart posted:

Is there something like Switchspring for iOS 8? And is Apple still signing 8.1? I'm still not sure I'm subjecting my 3rd gen iPad to an update, but I guess I might not have the option anymore anyway.

I updated my iPad 3 to 8.1 just for the new jailbreak and it's been doing just fine. I was worried it would really suffer from slowdowns but I personally haven't noticed any real difference from before.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
On the fence about both jailbreaking and my continuing relationship with Google Voice. Not sure if texting from a browser window is worth all the weirdness of GV on a phone. Is there anything jailbreaky that somehow integrates GV and makes it less annoying? Like needing to manually refresh the app to check texts? I assume that a lot of GV tweaks have gone away, just like GV users. I may just port my number away from Google and back to my phone like a normal human.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I remember reading about a Cydia tweak to get rid of fb messenger and go back to the way messaging used to work within the app

Is that still a thing and does it work with ios8?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

el_caballo posted:

On the fence about both jailbreaking and my continuing relationship with Google Voice. Not sure if texting from a browser window is worth all the weirdness of GV on a phone. Is there anything jailbreaky that somehow integrates GV and makes it less annoying? Like needing to manually refresh the app to check texts? I assume that a lot of GV tweaks have gone away, just like GV users. I may just port my number away from Google and back to my phone like a normal human.

SMS on GV 8 is out, but you'd need to check out the details.

Christoff posted:

I remember reading about a Cydia tweak to get rid of fb messenger and go back to the way messaging used to work within the app

Is that still a thing and does it work with ios8?

FBNoNeedMessenger and it works fine with iOS 8

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 15, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Awesome thanks! Can I update Facebook as well or no?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

Awesome thanks! Can I update Facebook as well or no?

Yep, there's also a tweak to force Most Recent as default feed - "RecentFacebook"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp. This is just great. In the middle of backing up (which has been 9.5 hours), my device suddenly reboots, and now iTunes does nothing when I plug it in, but pops up a window saying it was detected, but couldn't be identified properly.

Guess I'm hosed, and also stuck with 7.1.2.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Welp. This is just great. In the middle of backing up (which has been 9.5 hours), my device suddenly reboots, and now iTunes does nothing when I plug it in, but pops up a window saying it was detected, but couldn't be identified properly.

Guess I'm hosed, and also stuck with 7.1.2.

A tethered backup? Do you have any iCloud backups to use? You can put it in DFU and restore to 8.1 after you exhaust all other attempts. Do you have another cord to try?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spongeworthy posted:

A tethered backup? Do you have any iCloud backups to use? You can put it in DFU and restore to 8.1 after you exhaust all other attempts. Do you have another cord to try?

Directly connected to my PC. No iCloud backups. And now it's just loving up all over. Rebooted, then froze on the lock screen. Cydia is just coming up blank, then crashing.

At this point, I have no fucks left to give about backing things up. It's been almost 24 hours of fighting this poo poo. I'm so done.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

Directly connected to my PC. No iCloud backups. And now it's just loving up all over. Rebooted, then froze on the lock screen. Cydia is just coming up blank, then crashing.

At this point, I have no fucks left to give about backing things up. It's been almost 24 hours of fighting this poo poo. I'm so done.

Try one last time rebooting and hold the Volume Up button to disable Cydia Substrate and see if that gets you anywhere.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

Yep, there's also a tweak to force Most Recent as default feed - "RecentFacebook"

Awesome, thanks so much. These tweaks are worth a jailbreak alone. gently caress messenger.

I know battery chat is getting tiring but the battery life on my 6 does kind of suck. I'm on 8.1 and I have

Tage (like zephyr for multitasking)
Möbius (go left on first app page to go to the last and vice versa)
Bloard (dark keyboard)
Cylinder (like barrel)
Betterfiveicondock
Detailedbatteryusage (doesn't show anything abnormal)
Virtual home (which I disabled thinking that was the culprit)
Flipcontrolcenter (add or remove toggles from the swipe up thing)
Zeppelin (change carrier logo)
Noslowanimations
Showcase (show lower case on keyboard when applicable)
Swipeselection (move keyboard cursor left or right by swiping on the keyboard. Highly recommend)
F.lux
Springtomize 3 (haven't enabled anything yet)

It also seems like it's draining 10%+ overnight if it's not plugged in. But I keep forgetting to remember what it is when I go to bed

I have background app refresh and motion effect off

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 15, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Regarding Messenger, I was one of the haters but I finally acquiesced when I realized I could set it to Push notifications. It turns messenger into more of a text messaging app, something I found useful and didn't think about before.

If you are going to use fbnoneedmessenger, be wary of updating the facebook app "too soon" since it could always break the tweak's functionality.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So this morning, finally having decided to jailbreak my iPad, suddenly I can't turn off Find My iPad. Plus I keep getting bugged about logging into iCloud randomly, even though I'm logged in and I know I'm inputting the correct password. Also when I plugged my iPad into my PC, it didn't recognize it as a trusted PC anymore.

My plan was to enter DFU mode and then restore from iTunes, but some quick Googling led to discussions about how that doesn't fix the problem anymore. Anyone know how to fix this? It's not just a question of jailbreaking now, I'm also worried about not being able to restore, period.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

ibntumart posted:

So this morning, finally having decided to jailbreak my iPad, suddenly I can't turn off Find My iPad. Plus I keep getting bugged about logging into iCloud randomly, even though I'm logged in and I know I'm inputting the correct password. Also when I plugged my iPad into my PC, it didn't recognize it as a trusted PC anymore.

My plan was to enter DFU mode and then restore from iTunes, but some quick Googling led to discussions about how that doesn't fix the problem anymore. Anyone know how to fix this? It's not just a question of jailbreaking now, I'm also worried about not being able to restore, period.

I think this has happened to me and the solution was to go in to itunes and reset sync alerts and notifications or something.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2527

edit: probably preferences/devices reset sync history and also preferences/advanced reset warnings, maybe reset cache? not sure if relevant.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spongeworthy posted:

Try one last time rebooting and hold the Volume Up button to disable Cydia Substrate and see if that gets you anywhere.

Yeah, I tried that, too. It just ended up booting normally, instead of disabling Cydia Substrate.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Bouchacha posted:

Regarding Messenger, I was one of the haters but I finally acquiesced when I realized I could set it to Push notifications. It turns messenger into more of a text messaging app, something I found useful and didn't think about before.

If they would make messenger a native iPad app instead of using the 2x crap mode it would suck less.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Denim Dude posted:

I think this has happened to me and the solution was to go in to itunes and reset sync alerts and notifications or something.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2527

No luck. :(

Denim Dude posted:

edit: probably preferences/devices reset sync history and also preferences/advanced reset warnings, maybe reset cache? not sure if relevant.

I'll give this a shot next.

edit: Nope. I deleted it from my iCloud Find My Device list, too.
edit 2: Huh. Held down the volume up button when rebooting as a last ditch before DFU restore and everything's hunky-dory. Guess one of the updated Cydia apps was screwing things up.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 15, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Welp my phone wont ship till around the 14-18. Hopefully it will be jailbreakable.

Has a anyone use a 6 to record at a concert yet? My friend showed me his recording from a couple weeks ago and it absolutely blew my away how great quality it was. Usually the bass just destroys any clarity but the audio from his video almost sounded like a direct soundboard recording.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Welp. Upgraded to 8.1, jailbroke, and Reminders+ crashes. Just my luck. :sigh: Oh well. I'm sure I'll live.

Also, PriorityHub is out of Beta.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Okay, now I'm just getting "Error occurred, please try again" over and over when using the Pangu jailbreak. My iPad is on Airplane mode, no passcode, and Find My iPad off. What am I doing wrong here?

It's a 3rd gen if that helps.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Okay, now I'm just getting "Error occurred, please try again" over and over when using the Pangu jailbreak. My iPad is on Airplane mode, no passcode, and Find My iPad off. What am I doing wrong here?

It's a 3rd gen if that helps.

Which software version?
OTA or hard upgrade?
Latest Pangu - Windows or Mac?

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Christoff posted:

Swipeselection (move keyboard cursor left or right by swiping on the keyboard. Highly recommend)

Glad to hear this works, I normally use it but noticed it didn't say it was updated for iOS 8 so I hadn't installed it yet.

I know a few people have complained about 5 icon dock squishing all the icons but I haven't seen that while using it, I'm also using DockShift because I like a transparent dock so maybe that's fixing the squished icon bug. Worth a try for anybody with the issue.

On the battery chat: my biggest drain is Home & Lock Screen which I guess is just me checking to see if I have new mail. I would like if I could change the mail app to check mail every two hours and maybe disable auto-checking during set times when I'm asleep, that's probably save a bit of battery.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

spongeworthy posted:

Which software version?
OTA or hard upgrade?
Latest Pangu - Windows or Mac?

I *was* using the latest Windows version, 1.2.1. Update to 8.1 and restore via iTunes on PC.

I got it to work, but I had to shut off partway through. Now I've got two different issues trying to do this on my MacBook Air:

1) On the Mac side, Pangu hangs on part 2 "Transferring Resources." I was horrified to see it completely filled up the empty space on my OS X partition. I can't figure out where those files are to delete them, either.
2) On the PC side, I keep getting a "Try to activate your device" error. I don't know what is being asked for. I have the latest iTunes, my iPad trusts this computer, passcode and find my device are off.

I am at my wit's end and since I am traveling, I am stuck using my MacBook to do this for the next several days.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ibntumart posted:

I *was* using the latest Windows version, 1.2.1. Update to 8.1 and restore via iTunes on PC.

I got it to work, but I had to shut off partway through. Now I've got two different issues trying to do this on my MacBook Air:

1) On the Mac side, Pangu hangs on part 2 "Transferring Resources." I was horrified to see it completely filled up the empty space on my OS X partition. I can't figure out where those files are to delete them, either.
2) On the PC side, I keep getting a "Try to activate your device" error. I don't know what is being asked for. I have the latest iTunes, my iPad trusts this computer, passcode and find my device are off.

I am at my wit's end and since I am traveling, I am stuck using my MacBook to do this for the next several days.

Do you have any antivirus that monitors USB ports?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Not on the Mac side. I do have an AV on the PC side, though I thought I turned the firewall off.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

ibntumart posted:

Not on the Mac side. I do have an AV on the PC side, though I thought I turned the firewall off.

I'd shut down the antivirus completely and disable any monitoring, then reboot and try again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IntelliScreenX has updated for iOS 8. It's currently in a Public Beta state, and will be a free upgrade to anyone who has already purchased it.

Free 3 day trial if you've never used it.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Just FYI here, about a week and a half ago my wife and I upgraded our phones with t-mobile. She got an iPhone 6+ from the store, it had 8.0.2 loaded on it, I ordered a 64 GB iPhone 6, when I got mine it had 8.1 loaded. I jailbroke mine and have had no issues with battery or anything else.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

spongeworthy posted:

I'd shut down the antivirus completely and disable any monitoring, then reboot and try again.

Still no luck. :argh:

And I can't figure out where those ~40 gigs of stolen space on my Mac hard drive are hiding either, which is now sadly a more pressing concern.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

ibntumart posted:

And I can't figure out where those ~40 gigs of stolen space on my Mac hard drive are hiding either, which is now sadly a more pressing concern.

Try this tool. It will show you a graphical representation of file sizes on your hard drive.
Disclaimer: have not tried it myself, found it by searching the name of a popular Windows tool that does the same thing (sequoiaview) plus "mac."

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I use that tool on my Mac, it's great for tracking down large folders (huge amounts of podcasts apparently in my case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Sunblood posted:

Try this tool. It will show you a graphical representation of file sizes on your hard drive.
Disclaimer: have not tried it myself, found it by searching the name of a popular Windows tool that does the same thing (sequoiaview) plus "mac."

That worked perfectly, thanks! I didn't even think to look for it and I have the Windows equivalent (also extremely helpful). Now I've got my hard drive space back.

Onto the jailbreaking.

• Locked thread