Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
If this farce doesn't force the creation of a new body to run football instead of FIFA then nothing will.

Football is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You know, the real solution to this is for us to find another sport to watch.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're probably just as corrupt

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jose posted:

They're probably just as corrupt

Or would be if they got the same level of influence as Football has on the world population.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ukle posted:

If this farce doesn't force the creation of a new body to run football instead of FIFA then nothing will.

Football is dead.

In it's actual report they've released the Australian and English bids get critised for 50k dinners.

The Qatar bid's $1.8m African federation summit is mentioned but waved away "as it is unclear how this would affect bidding" and bin hammans (qatar's self described biggest asset) bribes and successful effort to get an exco member to appeal a ban so the oceana federation couldn't vote for qatar's rivals is fine because he wasn't part of the official bid team.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Let's just get a 4/5/6 nations tournament going like the rugby.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Back to Bin Hammam, the report does say that he made payments to Reynald Temarii, OFC President and Fifa Executive Committee member.

Temarii had been suspended for a breach of the Ethics code, but Bin Hammam encouraged, and paid for his appeal – an appeal which meant that the OFC could not replace Temarii for the World Cup vote. The OFC was planning to support Qatari rivals – and this was behind Bin Hammam’s offer of aid, the report says.

However, it goes on to say “there was no direct link between Qatar 2022 and any payments of Mr Bin Hammam ... it should be noted the difference it would have made if Mr Temarii would have participated in the vote would not have been significant.”

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Russia's dog ate its homework.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Not only did Russia fail to show its emails, it actually blamed Google for not being able to access them. loving capitalist yankees.

Good lord, this whole thing is preposterous.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's not that Fifa are absolutely shamelessly corrupt, its how blatant they are with it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's not that Fifa are absolutely shamelessly corrupt, its how blatant they are with it.

Actually, it's the fact that they're going to get away with it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

David Conn posted:

Reading Fifa report, afraid the English FA is very tainted. Spent £21m, including £3m public money, partly on currying Jack Warner's favour.

Can't say I disagree with this though

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Jose posted:

Can't say I disagree with this though

What does 21 million buy these days, because I can't think of a single positive thing Warner said about the England bid.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It buys a hell of a lot of fun for the bid team too, hanging out in the Caribbean at £35k parties all the time.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
"Look, we can take all this money and go to Trinidad and Tobago and drink cocktails out of coconuts and hang out by a bunch of guys playing steel drums and eat just the tastiest lobsters that have ever been cooked, or we can take this money to Uzbekistan."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Guardian are running a live blog for anyone who doesn't fancy reading the report themselves

http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2014/nov/13/fifa-world-cup-ethics-committee-report-2018-2022-live-reaction

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It looks like the UK government are going to instruct the SFA to start criminal proceedings.

This will most likely get the FA banned from Fifa events due to governmental influences.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Hahahaha, some of the most obvious bungs are discarded because they were used to get presidential votes and not World Cup votes and so they don't count.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The FA appear to be the only association moronic enough to actually give FIFA anything they wanted

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
tbh I don't think England will be banned from international competitions. Not even fifa can be that stupid (i think)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Even if this report were 100% accurate and there was no corruption in the Qatar bid, all that would prove is that the FIFA ExCo are absolutely terrible at their jobs and should all be sacked anyway for gross negligence and incompetence, not to mention complicity in gross human rights violations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

serious gaylord posted:

It looks like the UK government are going to instruct the SFA to start criminal proceedings.

This will most likely get the FA banned from Fifa events due to governmental influences.

Good.

I reckon if you asked the English public whether they'd rather see England's best lawyers going after FIFA or England's best footballers dicking about for the national team, they'd choose the first option.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jose posted:

The FA appear to be the only association moronic enough to actually give FIFA anything they wanted

The report shows pretty clearly how to get a world cup:
- bribe in cash, not gifts
- 'rent' computers
- 'forget' all your gmail password
- use people who aren't directly employed by a footballing organisation to approach voting members

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

vyelkin posted:

Even if this report were 100% accurate and there was no corruption in the Qatar bid, all that would prove is that the FIFA ExCo are absolutely terrible at their jobs and should all be sacked anyway for gross negligence and incompetence, not to mention complicity in gross human rights violations.

The Nepalese have never been to the World Cup so it doesn't matter. As for the North Koreans, they're just happy to be there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

advanced statsman posted:

The Nepalese have never been to the World Cup so it doesn't matter. As for the North Koreans, they're just happy to be there.

So happy that their employers safeguard their passports for them so that they don't accidentally leave. :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The report shows pretty clearly how to get a world cup:
- bribe in cash, not gifts
- 'rent' computers
- 'forget' all your gmail password
- use people who aren't directly employed by a footballing organisation to approach voting members

I meant for the investigation leading to this report but at least FIFA have released a helpful guide for future bids

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
It's like a point by point of how the English FA are a bunch of mugs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

You know, the real solution to this is for us to find another sport to watch.
I'd suggest professional wrestling, where the corrupt authority figures are part of the fun and actually get their comeuppance now and again

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Apparently Michael Garcia has made a statement

quote:

The farce escalates. Garcia statement talks of "numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions"

link

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

quote:

Michael Garcia says Eckert’s decision “contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts. I intend to appeal this decision to the FIFA Appeal Committee.”

Michael Garcia being the guy who actually headed and wrote the investigation.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Mark my words this is the start of Football War II

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Can I get a link to the article with the Garcia quote.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
hahaha only FIFA could clear an obviously corrupt world cup bid and accuse the people going "hey, that's not right!" as being corrupt in some way themselves

still not as bad as the ICC though

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

White Noise Marine posted:

Can I get a link to the article with the Garcia quote.

only on twitter and the guardian's live blog so far: http://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2014/nov/13/fifa-world-cup-ethics-committee-report-2018-2022-live-reaction

Actually the story just went up: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/13/farce-fifa-michael-garcia-erroneous-ethics-report

greazeball fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 13, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Some real giants of world football represented on Fifa's appeals committee - from Guam to Comoros via the Faroe Islands

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa:

quote:

“The AFC has always stood by Qatar as we defend their right to host the 2022 World Cup, and this finding reaffirms our belief and support for the country. We would now be able to move on and work with Qatar to ensure that we deliver the best World Cup that Asia can offer.

“There are matters to be ironed out of course including the timing of the World Cup, but we are committed to get it done. I would also like to call upon all Asian nations to continue showing support for Qatar as we have been doing since they won the bid.

“This is an important moment for Asia, and we have a wonderful opportunity to create history.”

It's like a parody.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
In twenty years we'll have a lot of fun explaining to our kids why England play Football League while most of the rest of the world play Football Union

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hans-Joachim Eckert posted:

I cannot comment, I don't know why he has said this, I need to speak to him

Just gets more and more ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce has backed Garcia and is now apparently pushing for the original report to be published.