Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the worst enemies are by far the little red 3-shot moles on the womb, not so much because of them being dangerous but because they have decent health and move around constantly and I want to move the gently caress on with my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The worst thing in the game is loving red poop because it respawns. Why does it respawn?? I have lost so many hearts to literal poo poo :argh:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Curse of the blind can be a real punch in the dick sometimes. I was saving a sun card for the boss and I wound up picking up 9 lives.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Did my first boss rush today and I managed to kill the Carrion Queen after it only spawned one red poop...which I then proceeded to run into no less than five times. Luckily, I had a lot of health. But still, gently caress red poop.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

IronicDongz posted:

I grabbed Abaddon when it cost 2 hearts, and I only had two, and still got like 6 sin hearts. So I think it just gives you that much which is loving rad

It does give you 6 sin hearts, but I think it removes more than just the 2 red hearts it costs because the last few times I picked it up I lost all (3-4) heart containers I had. Still an awesome item though, and a great help for ??? runs.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Logan 5 posted:

It does give you 6 sin hearts, but I think it removes more than just the 2 red hearts it costs because the last few times I picked it up I lost all (3-4) heart containers I had. Still an awesome item though, and a great help for ??? runs.

Yeah, I found this out earlier too. If you get an item that would kill you but it grants bonus hearts, you don't die. I think the bonus hearts are applied first, or at the same time or something.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocketlex posted:

Monstro's Lung and Spoon Bender don't combo as well as you'd hope. The shots do kinda home in a little, but it's not the Magic Missile Barrage I was hoping for.

Sacred Heart would do it, I think. The tears travel slowly enough that they home like crazy

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You also don't die if you take a deal that costs more red hearts than you have so long as you have some soul hearts, unlike the flash version.

shitting stars
Jun 11, 2008

Holy poo poo. Had my first truly ridiculous run.

Azazel + Max Damage + Quad Shot + Guppy = everything dies in one hit, even bosses.

The run started off shaky when I traded my last red heart for a Goat Head and was left with just a single soul heart. But boy, did it pay off. The seed is below if anyone wants to try it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Quinctia posted:

Did my first boss rush today and I managed to kill the Carrion Queen after it only spawned one red poop...which I then proceeded to run into no less than five times. Luckily, I had a lot of health. But still, gently caress red poop.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ughhhh trying to beat the boss rush with ??? is gonna drive me crazy. He's certainly not an easy character to go fast with. I've only managed to reach the boss rush once, and I got worn down from like 6 soul hearts. So to really have a decent shot at clearing it I need damage to reach it in time and also a large health buffer.

The worst part is I got all the way up to Death and War before one of their horses flew in out of nowhere for my last heart.

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
So, I just had a run with ???? so terrible that it wrapped back around into entertaining territory.

Started the first two floors with Cain's other eye, reflective shots, humble bundle, and two hp+ items. Could be worse. Got a '5' dice room twice on caves 1, but got nothing on all 4 cave levels worth a drat except the piggy bank and coin bag.

Great, I'm rich. Bought the magic fingers. I managed to beat the dark room with no damage, range, fire rate, or firing speed upgrades. I did have max speed and quite possibly every hp+ item possible. Oh, I also only ever found 6 bombs.

Satan took forever but the lamb was a cakewalk. It still took over a minute of using the magic fingers while frantically dodging though. The entire run took about 3 hours of plinking away at everything.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, I found this out earlier too. If you get an item that would kill you but it grants bonus hearts, you don't die. I think the bonus hearts are applied first, or at the same time or something.

Oh I already figured that out about Rebirth. What I'm talking about is that I had 3 red hearts and went to buy Abaddon in the Devil room for 2, but when I bought it it removed all 3 and gave me the 6 sin hearts. I know that it gives you 6 sin hearts no matter what, I've gotten it a bunch with ???, but does it always eliminate all your red heart capacity and I just didnt notice before?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I had a stupid run with monstro's lung + polyphemus + death's scythe. Sure it took a while to charge, but when it did pretty much everything on-screen died immediately.

I don't think monstro's lung is worthy of hatred. It's probably not as good as Brimstone, but Brimstone is really good and it doesn't really mix as hilariously with other items as the lung.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Grapplejack posted:

Which is of course an excellent excuse to take the pact/the mark as eve for all your HP. :getin:

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Had a run where Eden started with book of Rev and a meat cube. Got meat boy :D

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Man, that item where bombs heal you/stomps don't hurt you is basically this game's easy mode switch. Had a particularly lovely Maggie run turn into a Dark Room victory (my first one!) on Hard Mode. It was the first time I went to the Dark Room actually. Pretty cool place, design-wise.

Anyone else think the Dark Room boss was a bit disappointing though? Even without the bomb-healing that guy would've been piss-easy.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Was absolutely crushing a Magdeline run with the Left Hand giving me a bunch of Devil Items and 8 hearts until I picked up Guppy's Paw and used it a few times without working out exactly what it did until it was too late. I died to Mom's heart, but it was a close run thing.

This loving game is wonderful. I love getting items that aren't immediately obvious in use and having to work out exactly what madball thing it's going to do to me this time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I got super meat boy. Didn't think that'd happen in a random run.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think monstro's lung is worthy of hatred. It's probably not as good as Brimstone, but Brimstone is really good and it doesn't really mix as hilariously with other items as the lung.

You'll understand the hatred for it when you get one of the combos it doesn't work with and is bugged to have a super long charge time for a pathetic barrage of lovely tears. Its a glitchy item and I don't have what it works with memorized so I don't bother taking it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

hahahahahha

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just killed mom for the first time ever. I unlocked about 8 things including getting the guppy combo (?), azazel, lazarus and a meat cube or something? The run was ridiculous, and it all started with getting daddy long legs which just destroyed bosses. I got about 4 other followers, a jason mask, a green brain and was swimming in keys, money and hearts (apart from the point where I went down to just one heart before I managed to get a bunch more). I don't even know what was going on in the end, I think people were blocking lots of shots for me, I was flying, all kinds of poo poo. I had to shoot mom maybe three times. This was a nice change from the really hard runs I've had so far!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So if you get both Kamikaze and Pyromaniac can you just spam Kamikaze and essentially be invincible?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

So if you get both Kamikaze and Pyromaniac can you just spam Kamikaze and essentially be invincible?

Yepperoni

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
I died in Womb 2, in the room before It Lives.

With a Bible.
And max damage.
And max tear rate.

As ???, with a -9 winstreak.

The world is cold, and dark, and all joy is gone.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Ipecac is powerful. Did it always three-shot bosses in the original as well? :stare:

Runcible Spoon fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 13, 2014

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Does anything unlock for exceptionally low win rates?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Runcible Spoon posted:

I died in Womb 2, in the room before It Lives.

With a Bible.
And max damage.
And max tear rate.

As ???, with a -9 winstreak.

The world is cold, and dark, and all joy is gone.

EDIT: Holy poo poo Ipecac is powerful. Did it always three-shot bosses in the original as well? :stare:

Not quite but it was pretty drat strong. ~60 damage with no damage upgrades won't take long, though.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 13, 2014

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm trying to get The Lost unlocked, and I have that seed for Judas mentioned earlier, but is there a seed for isaac where there will always be a room with a mulliboom I can easily die to?

Isaac: FHRD S1N1, go to the large room to the north
Maggy: 349W VRFT, Pyro in the first item room

And don't use any seeds for Azazel.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
did another mega satan run, complete with weird music glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI04qASlIOM

the only damage up I got was blood clot but a). eve is rad, and b). fire mind is rad.
but mostly I'm just proud of the dodge through the pattern at 5:34

Alabaster White posted:

The worst thing in the game is loving red poop because it respawns. Why does it respawn?? I have lost so many hearts to literal poo poo :argh:
edmund please remove carrion queen as a boss in the boss rush, and then also from the rest of the game forever

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

Does anything unlock for exceptionally low win rates?

100 deaths gets you the Scissors which are similar to the Pinking Shears.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That room in the womb that spawns a red poo poo right in front of the door is the worst. If you don't let go of the direction during the room transition you'll get hit and there's nothing else you can do about it.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

edmund please remove carrion queen as a boss in the boss rush, and then also from the rest of the game forever
I hate Carrion Queen too and scramble to kill it in the boss rush, but the other bosses will sometimes kill themselves on the red poops which is pretty great. I am sad that rooms with red poops near the entrances are still a thing though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't think I've ever seen Carrion Queen outside of boss rush.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

My USB port for my keyboard is in lovely shape so sometimes while I am playing Isaac will just not respond or get stuck with one button pressed down, and I have to hope that I am in a safe spot until I can get it reconnected and working properly. I have died like this in pretty obnoxious ways, like getting stuck in a corner against a blue fire during an otherwise amazing run.

I made it to the boss rush with Cain with Ludovico Technique, Lump of Coal, and a couple of damage-ups. I made it through the bosses fairly easily. At the very very end, when the head part of the Headless Horseman is the last enemy and has just a sliver of HP left, the keyboard stops working. The Head dashes across the room and stops right in front of me, and shoots me until I am at a half heart. I am just stuck there and can't even pause the game. My fire button is still stuck down, so my robobaby kills him, and I get the achievement.

Then when I get my keyboard working again I walk onto spikes and die.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
wonderful things to happen: killing satan's 2nd form entirely via sin heart revenge damage because you have too many of them when you're trying to die to him

also does it count if I get killed by bullets, or do I need to run into him/get hit by brimstone

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The starter deck is actually incredibly helpful on most runs. The extra card slot and free card are pretty small perks, the real bonus is that it replaces all spawned pills with cards. Unless you have a PHD or know there are some good pills in the rotation, taking that uncertainty out of the game and replacing it with more cards is so useful.

I do regret unlocking the suicide king card. Such a hard challenge, and the reward is throwing a card into the rotation that is useless 99% of the time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CaptainWinky posted:

I hate Carrion Queen too and scramble to kill it in the boss rush, but the other bosses will sometimes kill themselves on the red poops which is pretty great. I am sad that rooms with red poops near the entrances are still a thing though.

Yeah, I let her poo poo all over the boss rush room because a lot of the bosses will take a lot of damage from it. The room is big enough to fight one boss in a red-poo poo-free area while the other one kills itself.

The hardest boss rush boss is Death. Those loving scythes aren't so bad in a small room, where you can see them spawn, but in the big room your first glimpse of them is often after they've started to fly at you.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

RatHat posted:

No. :( Tried it and it doesn't work.

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
Did they fix the Lost's immortality glitch with Guppy? I found it yesterday while attempting to do a run but it didn't grant me invincibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

AnxiousSloth posted:

Did they fix the Lost's immortality glitch with Guppy? I found it yesterday while attempting to do a run but it didn't grant me invincibility.

Yes.