Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
So from what I have been seeing Unity is pretty much a hot mess and not to be bought? My family was talking about getting it for me so if that's the case I guess I gotta make a call in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dammit, I bought Unity and I'm sitting watching it download while reading this thread and feeling a massive swell of buyers' remorse.

drat you, French Revolution. Why do you have to be my favourite setting?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was running around Paris and there was a crowd singing. I really like how there is actually crowds again and not barren wastes of cities.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Given all the badness I've heard about this, I'm sitting and waiting for it to go on sale on Steam many moons from now. Please tell me Ubi didn't gently caress it up too horribly, I have been looking forward to a French Revolution AssCreed forever.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
This a pretty interesting article...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/11/12/congratulations-ubisoft-youre-the-new-ea/?partner=yahootix

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally got through my first co-op mission and while I guess conceptually it would have been cool, it was a hilarious disaster in like ten different ways. I still think this is better than 3 just by virtue of having an actual big city environment again, but other than that...

edit: I played AC3 pretty early on, so I never found out if patches and stuff improved the game significantly.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 13, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

A good 40% of which is bringing up the whole "The E3 footage didn't look like the release game!" which anyone doing can immediately dive off a cliff for. Watch Dog had so many actual problems and the one that gets brought up constantly is so remarkably stupid it's like no-one has ever seen pre-release footage in their lives.

Dark Souls 2 as well. Kill all nerds.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

That is a loving hilarious article, read through his bulletpoints.
Controversy: Watch Dogs was simply "average".
He also just keeps referring to "fans".
The 99$ "unlock everything"-dlc he keeps railing about, is that a thing?

I can agree on the point about no female assassins in Unity though, as I'm pretty sure they had those in Brotherhood. But other than that it seems like a pure clickbait article.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

A good 40% of which is bringing up the whole "The E3 footage didn't look like the release game!" which anyone doing can immediately dive off a cliff for. Watch Dog had so many actual problems and the one that gets brought up constantly is so remarkably stupid it's like no-one has ever seen pre-release footage in their lives.

Dark Souls 2 as well. Kill all nerds.

Something connected to that that he forgot to mention was that they clearly crippled the graphics for the W_Dogs pc version in an effort to favor consoles, lied about it, and it turned out to be true.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Am I supposed to be able to remodel the social club, and just can't find the book or whatever that controls it?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I have a question: I'm running with an i7-3770, 16gb RAM and 2xSLi Windforce factory OC'd GTX670's. Is there anyone with similar specs who can tell me how the game runs maxed (except for AA) at 1920x1080?

BaconPigbutt posted:

Something connected to that that he forgot to mention was that they clearly crippled the graphics for the W_Dogs pc version in an effort to favor consoles, lied about it, and it turned out to be true.

That part sounds like conspiracy nut horseshit to me, sorry. Especially since you couldn't turn on the "deliberately crippled" graphics options without glitchiness which indicates they weren't finished at all and not "deliberately crippled".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

That part sounds like conspiracy nut horseshit to me, sorry. Especially since you couldn't turn on the "deliberately crippled" graphics options without glitchiness which indicates they weren't finished at all and not "deliberately crippled".

Correct.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gonkish posted:

Given all the badness I've heard about this, I'm sitting and waiting for it to go on sale on Steam many moons from now. Please tell me Ubi didn't gently caress it up too horribly, I have been looking forward to a French Revolution AssCreed forever.

Look, let me level with you. Unity sucks. It's bad. It's so loving bad that I, an avid Assassin's Creed fan, think it's a big joke and cry about wasting money on it. I loved every single Assassin's Creed game that I played, including 3. I wouldn't recommend 3, but I still enjoyed a lot of it. So I'm someone that can look past a LOT of stuff to enjoy a game. This game, however, is pure garbage. You can't even begin to get in to the "awww sweet French Revolution" atmosphere because of all the bugs. Honestly it feels like whoever this character is that is in the modern day has been strapped to a chair and has a big Animus headset on and also being beaten with a baseball bat. This poo poo is beyond broken. Any aspect of having fun is drained nearly instantly when I start the game up. Do not buy Unity. There is absolutely no way to enjoy it. You will regret paying a dime for it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

Yes, "in an effort to favor consoles" is not a fact just a conjecture and possibly a little to much on my part. But it was and is in fact playable with the options enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43ZlqPvBDs

Back to to AC-Unity, I haven`t bought it but I`ve been watching a lot of streams, and for the setting alone I will probably buy it in a future sale. But right now I think it would be really unlikely that I would pay release price, and that`s pretty rare, since I have very little in the way of self-control when it comes to games.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

So I haven't tried to play this game since yesterday, but over the last couple hours I haven't really experienced any bugs or performance issues (maybe the Nvidia update has helped?), so I have to ask: are most of the negative reviews/feedback due to bugs? Because the actual game seems to be no better or worse than any other Asscreed game (I've been enjoying it at least).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tim Burns Effect posted:

So I haven't tried to play this game since yesterday, but over the last couple hours I haven't really experienced any bugs or performance issues (maybe the Nvidia update has helped?), so I have to ask: are most of the negative reviews/feedback due to bugs? Because the actual game seems to be no better or worse than any other Asscreed game (I've been enjoying it at least).

Seems like it. What I've seen of the story stuff is pretty good AC fare, but it's impossible to get to without extreme suffering. There have been several people in the thread less than impressed with it however.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

BaconPigbutt posted:

Yes, "in an effort to favor consoles" is not a fact just a conjecture and possibly a little to much on my part. But it was and is in fact playable with the options enabled: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b43ZlqPvBDs

There were no "PC" options that were disabled, that video is hearsay and placebo sent through a game of telephone. People have modded the game to be "better" (with TheWorseMod) but whether it actually is better seems highly subjective. That mod mostly increases Depth of Field effects to absurdity, which looks good in screenshots but only gets in the way in the game, and increased ton of rain parameters which will kill your game's performance unless you have a super rig.

The closest you get to "disabled" option is the no-shadow headlights that got changed to shadow casting headlights - which made the lights flicker instead so it was obviously not ready for release. (You can even SEE the headlights flicker in his "better" version of the game)

edit: for proof, here's screenshots of the game without and with TheWorseMod. They're not labeled so it's a bit hard to see in the thumbnails, but the ones with the mod are those that have stupid amounts of DoF: http://imgur.com/a/Geg0R

ymgve fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 13, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Not getting many hits for this, but is there a known issue for AC Unity discs not working for PS4? It gives me a "possible damage/dirt" message and spits out the disc. It looks brand new, no visible damage on the disc anywhere and I am able to pop in my Killzone disc without issue.

Given the reports of bad performance with the game I thought it might be tied in, or maybe because of the recent system update I took, but no mention so far about this particular issue I can find going off google search.

e: I should clarify, the disc goes in and starts up the loading scene after installation (I even get the auto-download on the 1gb patch which seems to download and apply itself without issue), but it stops spinning/making noise and brings up the damaged/dirty message, to which I can only spit out.

e2: Progress. I got past the initial loading scene on the 11th try. It began showing the Ubisoft logo/intro, then stopped near the end and presented the damage/dirty warning. Almost immediately, THAT warning was replaced by a CE-34878-0 error screen followed by suggested actions prompt, which suggested I update the application and system software (I've updated the system well before doing anything with the game). Followed by a forced close of the app and spitting out my disc without prompt.

e3: I'm pretty much out of options and I can't even begin to ascertain what the hell is going on. Something with the system update must have busted up the game when loading from disc. I'm getting farther past the introduction visuals (ubisoft logo, "this work is done by" message) before the CD spins up/dies down a bunch and eventually gives out. If there's something wrong with the disc beyond visually, I don't have the option of trading it out (rented, which means I won't be getting a second copy until demand dies down in a month or two). So I guess my only hope is with an update to the game or console again.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 13, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I am looking to purchase this particular game, but I'm unsure whether I really should. It's $120 in Australia and I'm really having a hard time justifying it to myself due to all the bugs people have been reporting and the poor game experience.

Is there any reason I should pick this game up or should I not waste my money.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I thought the pc port was pretty good why are they rereleasing it on the unity engine?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Leo Showers posted:

I am looking to purchase this particular game, but I'm unsure whether I really should. It's $120 in Australia and I'm really having a hard time justifying it to myself due to all the bugs people have been reporting and the poor game experience.

The only reason you should pick this up is if you really, really, really want to play a new Assasin's Creed game this instant and don't have a 360 or PS3 to get Rogue instead.

Otherwise, wait for the patches and the discounts.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Lothire posted:

Not getting many hits for this, but is there a known issue for AC Unity discs not working for PS4? It gives me a "possible damage/dirt" message and spits out the disc.
It's just your PS4 telling you the game is dirt and shouldn't be played.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh? The loading screens in this game are pretty much make a sandwich length every single time, on the PS4 anyway.

And.. you're saying that's a good thing? How long does it take you to go make a sandwich because it usually takes me about 2 minutes, which is an insufferably long load screen in 2014. It's also very long even in comparison to some past AC games.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
It's amazing something like this can happen with such a high value game.. Or hell, that it can happen with any game. Didn't we just put a space probe on a comet? I thought the days of blowing into my NES and wiggling the cartridge was over.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Leo Showers posted:

Is this a joke? Don't buy this piece of poo poo, and definitely don't spend $120 on it. This is a $5 steam sale game at most.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

macnbc posted:

And.. you're saying that's a good thing? How long does it take you to go make a sandwich because it usually takes me about 2 minutes, which is an insufferably long load screen in 2014. It's also very long even in comparison to some past AC games.

You misunderstood, he definitely means it's a bad thing. Basically everyone says the loading times are way too long, apart from Tenzarin which says they are absent or atleast 1 second at most, which means he is flat out lying.

That being said, there is no loading screens when just traversing Paris on foot. But there's definitely loading screens when the game loads for the first time, fast traveling or starting missions.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 13, 2014

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I don't get the companion app thing. I synced it to my PC last night and was going to check it out on my way in to work today. I did the first mission to find a glyph, but the first training mission tells me I don't have a level 2 assassin. I clicked the nomad point thing and it says I need to sync with pc or whatever. Do you seriously need the main game on and running to play their stupid loving companion app?

Also I hate hate hate the stupid bullshit they pulled with the companion app and in game poo poo. Blue chests only if you clog your iPhone with our unoptimized lovely app (holy poo poo does that app drain battery power)! Yellow chests only if you use a tie in service that doesn't actually work! These missions only unlock if you get them on your phone! Or you get poo poo through Uplay points! It's almost like a dystopian marketing parody. Black Flag's way of doing it was awesome: you could do everything in-game that you could in the app, but it would let you make a little bit of extra cash sending out ships on your lunch break or whatever.

The actual core game is a good asscreed game, but it's buried under so much Ubisoft bullshit that I'm disliking it for that reason alone. At least I'm not having any performance issues. I'm on a Gigabyte GTX 970 and I can run everything maxed out without a problem. I also have an I7 4790K so that may help? Maybe hyperthreading isn't as useless as the goons in the PC building thread would have you believe.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Unity is sitting at around 75-80 on all platforms on Metacritic, fair?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hakarne posted:

I don't get the companion app thing. I synced it to my PC last night and was going to check it out on my way in to work today. I did the first mission to find a glyph, but the first training mission tells me I don't have a level 2 assassin. I clicked the nomad point thing and it says I need to sync with pc or whatever. Do you seriously need the main game on and running to play their stupid loving companion app?

No. You might have selected a Social Club, which you need to renovate in game for it to generate Nomad points (which are basically the app resource). Social clubs build up the Cafe Theatre income and have some in-game stuff associated with them.

With the game running, the App is basically an expanded mini-map.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Hakarne posted:

Also I hate hate hate the stupid bullshit they pulled with the companion app and in game poo poo. Blue chests only if you clog your iPhone with our unoptimized lovely app (holy poo poo does that app drain battery power)! Yellow chests only if you use a tie in service that doesn't actually work! These missions only unlock if you get them on your phone! Or you get poo poo through Uplay points! It's almost like a dystopian marketing parody. Black Flag's way of doing it was awesome: you could do everything in-game that you could in the app, but it would let you make a little bit of extra cash sending out ships on your lunch break or whatever.
The companion app is joke and was designed by some marketing exec's kid who wanted to troll people.
You get 140 nomad points for the 2 min first training mission and ~220 for an 8 hour mission. Training missions are repeatable. If you run the training missions until you can buy a couple lvl 8-10 assassins who can run all 3 training missions alone and simultaneously, you can make ~3k points an hour just repeating the training missions. In theory you could buy a full set of level 20 assassins that way before a single mid-range mission is complete.
I checked the rewards for running the missions and it's mostly ingame cash. There's a set of "Tailored Phantom" armor that is unlocked through some of the highest difficulty missions, a "Rapier" (which I'm pretty sure can be purchased for 25k ingame) and an Altair costume. HOWEVER, those are all put as the final reward for each mission, meaning that you have to run 3 multi-hour mission steps 3 times to unlock these. I haven't bother unlocking those missions yet but I'd be willing to bet it takes several days to unlock a single item.
Alternatively you can grab a couple goons and run a difficulty 5 heist for 75k gold in 20-30 minutes several times and just buy the best gear in the game.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Unity is sitting at around 75-80 on all platforms on Metacritic, fair?

This is a AAA game that hid a lot of its crimes from reviewers and the reviews themselves tell a story that warrants a score much lower than the one they give at the end. Read 75 as closer to 30.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Leo Showers posted:

how many more times are we gonna see "should I buy this piece of poo poo game?!?" dude please do not waste 120 loving dollars on this, even people in this thread who spitballed "im having fun anyway!!!!" are now flat out pissed off at it for one reason or another

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

When everything comes together and works, it's a pretty fun game. However, the times that happens are few and far between, be it graphical errors like textures not loading, being able to stutter-step the game by trying to go into cover(Try it in an area with people: Hold crouch, walk up to a waist-high wall, and repeatedly tap the Cover button. Slideshow time!), framerate drops, falling through the world into a white abyss, scripts not running or just plain breaking, and the free-run stuff sometimes not responding properly.

My advice: Don't buy this game, at least not right now. If it gets patched and if those issues get resolved, even if only a few of the game-breaking/immersion-ruining stuff like the aforementioned graphics issues, then maybe give it a shot. Or just play Shadow of Mordor, it's a better game as it is.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Alright, so, by putting in the disc and letting it give me the error, I progressively got further along. After the 22nd time of putting in the disc, it remained going long enough for me to get past the opening cinematic all the way to the start of playing as a kid (where I stopped by choice). The disc seems to have stopped whirling so much.

I've no idea what could have possibly effected it. I'd blame the cold of my downstairs, but my killzone disc fired up without an issue multiple times during this whole process, so I'm ruling that out. Maybe some kind of internet shenanigans, I don't know. Fingers crossed when I fire it up in a couple hours it remains functioning.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lothire posted:

Alright, so, by putting in the disc and letting it give me the error, I progressively got further along. After the 22nd time of putting in the disc, it remained going long enough for me to get past the opening cinematic all the way to the start of playing as a kid (where I stopped by choice). The disc seems to have stopped whirling so much.

I've no idea what could have possibly effected it. I'd blame the cold of my downstairs, but my killzone disc fired up without an issue multiple times during this whole process, so I'm ruling that out. Maybe some kind of internet shenanigans, I don't know. Fingers crossed when I fire it up in a couple hours it remains functioning.

It sounds like you just have a bad disc. Retailers let you exchange defective products for a reason. I suggest going that route.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

Bad in a different way. AC3 had slightly bad performance on PCs, but not extraordinarily bad like ACU. AC3 was more panned for having a 20 hour tutorial in a 40 hour game, where in contrast the game world of ACU opens up quite quickly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

It is arguably a better core game but it runs so much more poorly and has so many other problems that the better core elements are lost. And some other elements are worse. (Super-boring combat being the biggest one.)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ymgve posted:

The only reason you should pick this up is if you really, really, really want to play a new Assasin's Creed game this instant and don't have a 360 or PS3 to get Rogue instead.

And you already own/100%ed shadow of mordor

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

ymgve posted:

Bad in a different way. AC3 had slightly bad performance on PCs, but not extraordinarily bad like ACU. AC3 was more panned for having a 20 hour tutorial in a 40 hour game, where in contrast the game world of ACU opens up quite quickly.

I don't think that's why AC3 wasn't that good. The tutorial was kind of bland I guess but I'd say the main reason AC3 was sub-par was because whoever was making it didn't seem to really want to make a game about assassinatin' people in colonial America. What I mean is, the game was so much like past AC games but the setting was very different. You spent so much time in AC3 in the wilderness, but the games core mechanics were really built for places with a lot of tall buildings. This is why they needed to put so much tall grass everywhere, because otherwise it would be almost impossible to be hidden in the wilderness, whereas in a game like AC2 I could stay hidden and assassinate guys quite easily by using tall buildings as a sort of "cover".

I think that AC3 would've been better suited if they had really taken a step back and thought about what would've made a game about being an assassin in the wilds of the northeast good instead of trying to fit the traditional AC gameplay in an entirely different setting.

But then again, this is just talking about why I think the core gameplay mechanics aren't up to snuff. There's also stuff like the homestead missions and the boat crap, which take place entirely apart from what's normally going on in the game that the only way you can go about doing it is to go completely out of your way to do so, and when you do what you get in return is really not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is arguably a better core game but it runs so much more poorly and has so many other problems that the better core elements are lost. And some other elements are worse. (Super-boring combat being the biggest one.)

Jeez, that's a huge disappointment. It looked so promising from early previews, and the French Revolution setting is something I've been wanting for a while. And the fact that the stated goal was to improve combat and they ended up making it more boring sucks, too.

• Locked thread