Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

is it the folder in File Explorer icon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm the onedrive icon that's even higher res in win 8.1 and my macbook pro with retina display

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

i like how the weather and calendar icon teams had such a rivalry that when calendar icon team put useful information into their icon, the weather icon team was all 'gently caress those losers why design an icon that isnt worth clicking on?'

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the weather icon will display poo poo sometimes and only in medium or large mode

i say sometimes because the live tiles have always been unreliable for me on whether they actually display current information or not

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
lmao verizon still won't push several months old firmware and updates to their wp users until ms (not verizon themselves, mind you) gets their lovely vendor apps to work

quote:

"Nokia confirmed with me that the reason Verizon is holding up the Cyan firmware update for the Lumia Icon is because Verizon is demanding that their phone apps (VZ Navigator, My Verizon, Voicemail, etc.) work "perfectly" on the device before they will approve the Cyan firmware update. They sent the Cyan firmware update back to Microsoft for "development changes" to ensure this happens."

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh yeah i wouldnt want to sink any money into fixing wp poo poo either

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
thats probably why they got an exclusive NA release of the 930 under their own name and then EOLed it a month later

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i blame u op

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why would their apps stop working in the first place, that's just incompetency on Microsoft's part

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

pseudorandom name posted:

why would their apps stop working in the first place, that's just incompetency on Microsoft's part

microsoft can't even do the one thing they do well to the point of actually being annoying right on their phones, jfc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cant wait until they announce all windows phone 8 apps are incompatible with Windows

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
c# cross platform support is really good because it's a really nice way to program things, unity uses some lovely mono thing and it would be cool to have official VS support
there was a rumour for a bit they were going to buy unity for a bit so maybe this is the end result?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

is this .net crap gonna mean ppl will make and try to subject me to non-cocoa apps thx

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no because they didnt port anything useful so it wont affect adoption any more than mono did (zero)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol win forms

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

jaysus

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pseudorandom name posted:

No im pretty sure that when everyone else's apps work fine on 8.1, including other lovely vendor apps, that problem is probably with verizon.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 13, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

no because they didnt port anything useful so it wont affect adoption any more than mono did (zero)

thx close thread :toot: ban cremnob :toot:

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

ahmeni posted:

c# cross platform support is really good because it's a really nice way to program things, unity uses some lovely mono thing and it would be cool to have official VS support
there was a rumour for a bit they were going to buy unity for a bit so maybe this is the end result?

ms bought the company making the unity plugin for visual studio so theres official support for that at least

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i thought unity was on its way out because ue4 is superior in every aspect

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
i hope so. unity is kinda poo poo, but its still gonn abe around for a while

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Metrication posted:

remember when bungie made myth games and halo was revealed by steve jobs as a myth style sci fi game lol for both mac and windows

myth tfl and myth 2 soulblighter are literally the greatest games ever made in the history of computers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

'let me use onedrive to fetch any of my files on this pc'

takin bets for time to security breaches

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

i thought unity was on its way out because ue4 is superior in every aspect

unity still has a lot of traction and it's especially good at being just a cross platform app compiler with a decent language
c++ is a pain in the dick to pick up compared to c#

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

graph posted:

quick question pagancow, did the person who narrated your last years yosmas video just do voice work for the radio for a shaving thing called 'no-no pro'

if this is the case she'd have better luck borrowing one of pagancows camera flashes to remove her hair than that junk :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Luigi Thirty posted:

one of these things is not like the other
if you can spend a shitzillion dollars buying Mojang you can spend some money hiring visual design people to make a proper, complete set of new not-ugly-as-poo poo icons

just don't hire anyone who might've been involved with the latest ios/mac stuff that poo poo is ugly too

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

theadder posted:

'let me use onedrive to fetch any of my files on this pc'

takin bets for time to security breaches

that's existed for ages

Onedrive in the new Windows10 build now has "select sync" - wait, wtf didn't they have this before?

quote:

We’re also introducing changes to how OneDrive syncs your files in this build. In Windows 8.1, we use placeholders on your PC to represent files you have stored in OneDrive. People had to learn the difference between what files were “available online” (placeholders) versus what was “available offline” and physically on your PC. We heard a lot of feedback around this behavior. For example, people would expect that any files they see in File Explorer would be available offline by default. Then they would hop onto a flight (or go someplace without connectivity) and try to access a file they thought was on their PC and it wasn’t available because it was just a placeholder. It didn’t feel like sync was as reliable as it needed to be. For Windows 10, having OneDrive provide fast and reliable sync of your files is important. Starting with this build, OneDrive will use selective sync. This means you choose what you want synced to your PC and it will be. What you see is really there and you don’t need to worry about downloading i

so basically in Windows 8.1, you could have all your files/folders shown in explorer and all the metadata - file details and thumbnails, could be synced even if the files were marked-only online, they would download when you tried to open them

the problem is there was no distinction what folders/files were online-only as opposed to offline, as opposed to the green checkmark you had in onedrive for win7 which was incredibly stupid, but the functionality was pretty cool as it allowed you to operate as is everything was local and just right-click on important files and folders to keep offline but still keep track of all the less-than-critical poo poo you had in the :yaycloud:

so instead of just redesigning the loving icon to show that a folder/file was online, we'll just remove a feature we touted as a great innovation and a benefit to OS integration that other cloud providers couldn't do

:ughh:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
NEW FEATURE

:psyduck:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Metrication posted:

those folder icons look like they were 'designed' in word or something

Funny you should say that

quote:

Microsoft also worked with some third-party font foundaries to prototype what colored versions of their fonts might look like. Of course these fonts aren’t going to start showing up in your office documents, but examples like colored dingbats are really interesting.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

im the colors

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm the vertical alignment of the dialog box + the three icons on the left

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

lol win forms

:barf:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Fabricated posted:

just don't hire anyone who might've been involved with the latest ios/mac stuff that poo poo is ugly too

if you think yosemite is ugly i'm sorry but you have disastrous taste

ios though that makes sense

Metrication fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 13, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

same

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm downloading the latest build, I need to see this shitshow for myself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

okay hell has frozen over

whoa.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

lol win forms

does this actually work? can you finally write good apps on osx?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmfao at basically everything ITT, ms owns in the goofiest (worst) way possible

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-yh_sPjPQ

"gently caress these computers and poo poo" -- mgk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Metrication posted:

if you think yosemite is ugly i'm sorry but you have disastrous taste

ios though that makes sense

Yeah I'm still not a fan of the transparency but Yosemite has grown on me, there are some niggles but Apple is leaps ahead of most in at least getting the details right

• Locked thread