Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

obeyasia posted:

You must have the greasiest, don't give a gently caress manager.

Don't give a gently caress, maybe. Greasy? For helping a customer-to-be out despite AT&T rules? That's a pretty wild definition of greasy. I mean, he may be everything you say, but I'm pretty sure this isn't an example of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

You must have the greasiest, don't give a gently caress manager.

I wouldn't say greasy. But money is definitely his objective. I did back off of online sales for now though. This case, however, is clearly getting difficult for a stupid moto x card.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 10, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Don't give a gently caress, maybe. Greasy? For helping a customer-to-be out despite AT&T rules? That's a pretty wild definition of greasy. I mean, he may be everything you say, but I'm pretty sure this isn't an example of that.

Beef is a cool dude, but Obeyesia is correct that he is def very loose on twisting the rules (I've said that here before, nothing new). AT&T is huge on account security policies, and overall that means that you just don't service someone unless they are validated right in front of you.

I get the "but he's just helping a customer" thought, honestly I really do. But all it takes is one person filing a complaint and boom, your job is gone. It sucks, but it's the one thing the company is big on, and overall it's because you do have customers who will just leverage the gently caress out of the "you can trust and help me" but, and then stab you in the back. Like anything, a few people ruin it.

I used to sell phones to goons when I worked at a Sprint franchise, but AT&T was a significant pay bump in pay and benefits, so I would def be on the side that it is not worth the risk.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Duckman2008 posted:

Beef is a cool dude, but Obeyesia is correct that he is def very loose on twisting the rules (I've said that here before, nothing new). AT&T is huge on account security policies, and overall that means that you just don't service someone unless they are validated right in front of you.

I get the "but he's just helping a customer" thought, honestly I really do. But all it takes is one person filing a complaint and boom, your job is gone. It sucks, but it's the one thing the company is big on, and overall it's because you do have customers who will just leverage the gently caress out of the "you can trust and help me" but, and then stab you in the back. Like anything, a few people ruin it.

I used to sell phones to goons when I worked at a Sprint franchise, but AT&T was a significant pay bump in pay and benefits, so I would def be on the side that it is not worth the risk.

Right, I get all that. I'd file that under the "don't give a gently caress" category. Not the "greasy" category.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm trying to add a line on a new number on an existing value share plan and just get a SIM. I can't figure out how to do this online, because it seems like it makes you pick a phone. Any ideas? Should I just give up and go to AT&T store?

Edit: I think it is Premiere loving things up. The online store won't let me add any devices except Next or contract to a Mobile Value Share plan. So it filters out no contract stuff like SIMs.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 11, 2014

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Right, I get all that. I'd file that under the "don't give a gently caress" category. Not the "greasy" category.

Greasy is opening up customers to unnecessary vulnerabilities by taking ANY kind of payment information via phone/email/anything not in person; especially when your sales channel is not authorized or equipped to handle that when poo poo goes south.
If one of your communications is captured by AT&T youre poo poo canned. If it's intercepted by a 3rd party, you've created a situation where AT&T has to go into mediation, settle for a few (hundred?) thousand, gets bad press (LOL), AND you get poo poo canned.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 11, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So is AT&T only getting the 32GB Nexus 6? That sucks...

I'll probably still get it, but I would prefer the 64 GB version (I'm on a 64 GB HTC One, and I'm at about 25 GB of used space, so in theory I could transfer to a 32 GB device and still have room to spare...but all that extra space is comforting.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

I'm trying to add a line on a new number on an existing value share plan and just get a SIM. I can't figure out how to do this online, because it seems like it makes you pick a phone. Any ideas? Should I just give up and go to AT&T store?

Edit: I think it is Premiere loving things up. The online store won't let me add any devices except Next or contract to a Mobile Value Share plan. So it filters out no contract stuff like SIMs.

Yeah, that's a 10 min transaction in store, anyone will love to help you with it. A long as the account is in your name you can add the line in store no contract. Technically you are supposed to have a phone they put the SIM IN, but stores aren't picky about that one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, that's a 10 min transaction in store, anyone will love to help you with it. A long as the account is in your name you can add the line in store no contract. Technically you are supposed to have a phone they put the SIM IN, but stores aren't picky about that one.

Cool. At this point, the phone is supposed to show up from Amazon today anyway, so I'll bring it with me.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Quick sanity check please. I am on a Mobile Share Value plan. If I buy a Moto X (2014) Pure Edition direct from Motorola, when it arrives I can just throw the T Mobile SIM in the trash, slide in the SIM from my current phone (GS3) and be good to go right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Why would it even have a T-Mobile SIM if you buy direct from Motorola? I thought they all came SIM-less?

Edit: But regardless, yes. Buying a Moto X direct from Motorola means it will be carrier-unlocked.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

DrBouvenstein posted:

Why would it even have a T-Mobile SIM if you buy direct from Motorola? I thought they all came SIM-less?

Edit: But regardless, yes. Buying a Moto X direct from Motorola means it will be carrier-unlocked.

Yeah, I dunno but for some reason the Pure Edition stuff apparently has a T Mobile SIM included. Kinda weird.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

emocrat posted:

Yeah, I dunno but for some reason the Pure Edition stuff apparently has a T Mobile SIM included. Kinda weird.

It's not "apparently" -- it actually literally really does have a T-Mobile SIM included. It even says so before you order one.

But yes it is carrier unlocked so put in your ATT sim and you'll be up and flying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nimper posted:

It's not "apparently" -- it actually literally really does have a T-Mobile SIM included. It even says so before you order one.

But yes it is carrier unlocked so put in your ATT sim and you'll be up and flying.
He'll have to get a nano SIM from an AT&T store or cut down the micro SIM in his GS3, but other than that, yeah.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Endless Mike posted:

He'll have to get a nano SIM from an AT&T store or cut down the micro SIM in his GS3, but other than that, yeah.

Good to know. THanks.

Blue_Calx
Sep 20, 2001
I preordered the Nexus 6 and did it with the NEXT program, so I didn't put any money down. Will at&t still let me cancel it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blue_Calx posted:

I preordered the Nexus 6 and did it with the NEXT program, so I didn't put any money down. Will at&t still let me cancel it?

Yup, call customer care and they can cancel it, so can reps at company stores.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't been itt in a year or more. I saw someone a few days ago in a/t thread saying if you are no longer bound by a contract you can somehow ask for a $25/month per line discount?

I have 2 smartphones on the shared data plan and both are out of contract. I just called 611 and asked, the lady said she'd not heard of that and tried to look it up on something but couldn't find anything. Is this true? What do I need to ask for?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're on a shared data plan, the line access charges should automatically reduce once the contract ends. Also note it's $15 for plans under 10 GB and $25 for plans 10 GB or more. Check your bill and see wha your line access charge is.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

When I go to the upgrade page it lists an address of mine from like...4 addresses ago. I guess it's the address I had when I first got the account? I don't know how to change it though. The "billing" address is right, since it knows where to send my bill and whatnot (and it's right on the website). Just when I go to upgrade it's got the wrong address and some crazy phone number.

I called customer care and the guy is supposed to call me back (I wasn't in front of a computer and he wanted me to...try the upgrade? I don't know) but there's got to be a way to do this online...right?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Endless Mike posted:

If you're on a shared data plan, the line access charges should automatically reduce once the contract ends. Also note it's $15 for plans under 10 GB and $25 for plans 10 GB or more. Check your bill and see wha your line access charge is.

Now I'm confused. I have 10gb mobileshare, I just looked at the bill and at the pricing page: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=WCnDjExhMU_

On the bill it says $120 for the 10gb "parent" plan and $30 each smartphone. but the pricing page says the 10gb plan is $100 and $40 for each phone. Would be same $180 cost for 2 new ones but I'm definitely not getting a discount.

I was wrong about both lines being out of contract, only one is but I'm paying $30 a month for each to be on the plan, no discount for the out of contract one.

Are my #s different due to maybe an older plan and changing to a newer one would lower the "parent" cost to $100 (from 120) and give the $25 discount for the out of contract one? (while also raising the in contract one to $40 instead of $30)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 14, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Now I'm confused. I have 10gb mobileshare, I just looked at the bill and at the pricing page: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=WCnDjExhMU_

On the bill it says $120 for the 10gb "parent" plan and $30 each smartphone. but the pricing page says the 10gb plan is $100 and $40 for each phone. Would be same $180 cost for 2 new ones but I'm definitely not getting a discount.

I was wrong about both lines being out of contract, only one is but I'm paying $30 a month for each to be on the plan, no discount for the out of contract one.

Are my #s different due to maybe an older plan and changing to a newer one would lower the "parent" cost to $100 (from 120) and give the $25 discount for the out of contract one? (while also raising the in contract one to $40 instead of $30)

Someone with more knowledge of the plans may know for sure, but maybe you had one of the "original" mobile share plans? Now they're mobile share "value" plans. It's definitely $100 for the 10GB plan, plus $40 a line. If you aren't on a contract (or even if you are, if you started it before like...feb 2 of this year or something like that) you get a $25 discount and thus pay $15 a line. You shouldn't have to ask, AFAIK.

I'd make sure you're on mobile share value, and if not, switch to it because it's better.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Yeah you just got someone stupid when you called in. You have the old mobile share plan, not mobile share value. Change it up, its a better deal. You will get the $25 discount for both lines unless that contract was signed after Feb 2, 2014.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Thanks you all, I'm for sure on the older mobileshare one, I now remember last upgrade/new contract was much later than I thought (my wife in aug/sep 2013) and i switched to mobileshare from familytalk before feb this year judging by a post I made itt feb 4. Gonna get it switched and also remove wife's $7/mo $200 deductible insurance on her note II that looks like isn't even worth $200 on ebay, $32/mo less.

edit: and speaking of insurance/note II values, before I cancel insurance, she's got a crack in the screen, didn't seem worth it at a $200 deductible to get it replaced with a refurb note II, but is that the way it works? would they somehow give a note III or something else newer for $200/no contract change? or just a refurb note II like I'm thinking? (been a customer for 15-16 years with no past-dues if that makes a diff)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 14, 2014

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
I'm thinking about preordering the Nexus 6 with Next. Am I able to pay off the phone early to reduce my monthly bill early? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Thanks you all, I'm for sure on the older mobileshare one, I now remember last upgrade/new contract was much later than I thought (my wife in aug/sep 2013) and i switched to mobileshare from familytalk before feb this year judging by a post I made itt feb 4. Gonna get it switched and also remove wife's $7/mo $200 deductible insurance on her note II that looks like isn't even worth $200 on ebay, $32/mo less.

edit: and speaking of insurance/note II values, before I cancel insurance, she's got a crack in the screen, didn't seem worth it at a $200 deductible to get it replaced with a refurb note II, but is that the way it works? would they somehow give a note III or something else newer for $200/no contract change? or just a refurb note II like I'm thinking? (been a customer for 15-16 years with no past-dues if that makes a diff)

It has nothing to do with time as a customer and everything to do with available inventory at Asurion. Start a claim for her number at phoneclaim.com it will tell you what phone you would get before you pay $200. And either way you can then cancel the insurance after that. Basically if they don't have a note 2 in stock you get next newest equivalent phone (in theory a note 3).

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Duckman2008 posted:

It has nothing to do with time as a customer and everything to do with available inventory at Asurion. Start a claim for her number at phoneclaim.com it will tell you what phone you would get before you pay $200. And either way you can then cancel the insurance after that. Basically if they don't have a note 2 in stock you get next newest equivalent phone (in theory a note 3).

Thanks, it's saying galaxy alpha is what they'd replace with. Also said the deductible is reduced to $99 since we haven't made a claim in a year.

This sounds like something I should do even though its a smaller phone, it'll sell for more $ on ebay in february when both our lines are up for an upgrade than a broken note II will.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zerocrash posted:

I'm thinking about preordering the Nexus 6 with Next. Am I able to pay off the phone early to reduce my monthly bill early? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

Yes.
Call customer care, go to a corporate store, or use att.com.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ok this is a dumb question: I pre-ordered a Nexus 6 from AT&T. It uses a nano sim. I have a Nexus 4 with a micro sim.

I'll get the phone and it will already have a nano sim that I activate and my phone number switches to the new sim? Or do I have to go to a store and get a new sim that will fit? It's been too long since I bought a phone from AT&T to remember how this works

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Thanks, it's saying galaxy alpha is what they'd replace with. Also said the deductible is reduced to $99 since we haven't made a claim in a year.

This sounds like something I should do even though its a smaller phone, it'll sell for more $ on ebay in february when both our lines are up for an upgrade than a broken note II will.

An Alpha for $100 would def be worth it.

myron cope posted:

Ok this is a dumb question: I pre-ordered a Nexus 6 from AT&T. It uses a nano sim. I have a Nexus 4 with a micro sim.

I'll get the phone and it will already have a nano sim that I activate and my phone number switches to the new sim? Or do I have to go to a store and get a new sim that will fit? It's been too long since I bought a phone from AT&T to remember how this works

It'll have a nano SIM and a phone number you call to activate it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised an Alpha would be subbed for a phablet. Especially since, wasn't the Note more expensive to start with?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just upgraded to Lollipop and and having MMS download issues suddenly. Can someone verify the correct WAP settings ?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is there a legit way to get a Moto X first gen that was purchased on Next unlocked, other than paying off the phone? May be going overseas with my fiance, I've got a Nexus 5, but she picked up the X earlier this year on Next. Might be worth just paying it off when we take the trip anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Is there a legit way to get a Moto X first gen that was purchased on Next unlocked, other than paying off the phone? May be going overseas with my fiance, I've got a Nexus 5, but she picked up the X earlier this year on Next. Might be worth just paying it off when we take the trip anyway.

Probably not. You can call and ask customer care.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Nokia 635 seems like a pretty nice "first smartphone" for old people. Huge buttons for apps, pretty snappy, and cheap. We were originally going to go for a Moto G for one of our parents, which I'm sure is a better phone, but the whole Android experience is so much more complicated and fiddly.

Plus the 635 comes in safety orange.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably not. You can call and ask customer care.

It just seems silly that they broke apart the service and phone to be separate. I won't pay an ETF if I were to switch to TMo, but I'd be stuck paying for the phone, which makes sense. Paying installments on a phone and it's still not yours. I guess just locking phones at all still seems silly to me unless they're giving out phones with no way to recapture that cost, but contact upgrades have an ETF, and Next has the obligation to pay for the phone, so why lock it? Aside from customer protectionism, that is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The corporate AT&T store I went to yesterday sure had a lot of display space for the Amazon Fire Phone. I guess they committed to that before anyone realized they wouldn't sell.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

The corporate AT&T store I went to yesterday sure had a lot of display space for the Amazon Fire Phone. I guess they committed to that before anyone realized they wouldn't sell.

Just like the HTC First before it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
So this just happened.

http://about.att.com/story/att_gives_mobile_share_value_customers_15_gb_of_data_for_the_10_gb_price.html

I wonder if there's a catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I'm a family shared 10GB guy, so it looks like we don't just get this we have to still do something?