Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The original report that would lead to criminal prosecutions and thus will never see the light of day.

Fair play to Garcia, hes more than likely torpedoed his entire career but I guess he didnt want this farce attributed to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Skinty McEdger posted:

Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce has backed Garcia and is now apparently pushing for the original report to be published.

Is there a civil war going on within FIFA?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pissflaps posted:

Is there a civil war going on within FIFA?

Blatters refusal to step down has caused a bit of a ruckus.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Fair play to Garcia, hes more than likely torpedoed his entire career but I guess he didnt want this farce attributed to him.

A quick google to see what he did before FIFA shows that he is banned from entering Russia for human rights violations lmao

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

A quick google to see what he did before FIFA shows that he is banned from entering Russia for human rights violations lmao

Isnt that because he made an investigative report on their abuses?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

So I'm reading about the change they've slipped in under the radar as part of this where it will no longer be the executive committee that rules on world cup bids but instead the fifa congress. I'm not wrong in thinking all this means is that the voting blocks of smaller countries will get even more power and that even more money is going to end up in the power brokers pockets right?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skinty McEdger posted:

So I'm reading about the change they've slipped in under the radar as part of this where it will no longer be the executive committee that rules on world cup bids but instead the fifa congress. I'm not wrong in thinking all this means is that the voting blocks of smaller countries will get even more power and that even more money is going to end up in the power brokers pockets right?

This is absolutely correct. The shithouse federations that are made up of hundreds of tiny countries like concacaf and the Asian block will decide where each world cup is played. Europe won't have a single bearing on anything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Isnt that because he made an investigative report on their abuses?

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1572293/russia-refuses-to-allow-fifa-investigator-michael-garcia-entry-over-guantanamo-list

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lol so he prosecuted a warlord and now hes banned from Russia. Classic.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Remember that the Congress will only see a shortlist of 3 countries compiled by the Executive Committee.

Which makes the double dipping even more flagrant and hilarious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Ahmad Darw, member of the Fifa appeal committee Garcia hopes will overturn J. Eckert's 'erroneous' decision, took Bin Hammam's cash in 2010

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Surely in this world of cyber business some journo can gain access to the full bloody report.

Calling for it to be released you might as well be asking the Sun to turn off the lights

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

serious gaylord posted:

This is great PR for him, and he'll get hired by a bunch of companies who want to look like they're doing a meaningful investigation.

I'm still blown away that FIFA had the balls to doctor the report to blame everything on England's swag bags. It's amazing and I can't imagine what they were thinking.

E: just want to point out that “Today’s decision by the Chairman of the Adjudicatory Chamber contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions detailed in the Investigatory Chamber’s report" are basically the strongest words a lawyer in Garcia's position could use and it's damning as hell.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 13, 2014

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Why hasn't anyone organized some sort of campaign to the major FIFA sponsors/broadcasters? Coke, etc? Writing letters to FIFA obviously wouldn't help, but surely we can do something here. The only way we aren't going to see a WC built on slave labor is if enough sponsors tell FIFA they're out, right?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I'm sure Coke's ethics division will get right on that once they've finished murdering all the union leaders

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
This is a sad day.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What a loving farce

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

stop spreading these lies, FIFA and Qatar definitely are not corrupt, while the English are.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lost in all of this news today is some promising news about the next world cup.

It's come out that Capello hasn't been paid by the Russian FA for seven months because they're too broke to be able to afford his wages.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I can't wait for all the photos of the Sochi like Russian world cup appearing

Jose fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 13, 2014

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Volkerball posted:

Russia's dog ate its homework.

lol

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I want to repeat my offer to the potential FIFA or Qatari officials browsing this thread, that for the modest sum of USD $1 million they will get my unconditional support and defense from the trolls who believe the English FA did no wrong.

This space for rent.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

This entire thing is utterly insane idk how else to put it

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

quote:

Simon Johnson, former England 2018 COO on @skynews now: "We are not going to take lessons in ethics from Fifa"

Also Fifa took down the link to the appeals Committee from their website for a bit this afternoon, until journalists started to notice and ask where it went at which point it just sort of popped back up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tbp posted:

This entire thing is utterly insane idk how else to put it

I can't tell if they really thought they could get away with trying to turn everything around on England/Australia instead of Qatar or if they're so deluded that they didn't even think people would notice or care

CNN saying the FBI are going to step up their investigations too

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

quote:

More bad news for FIFA - CNN reporting that FBI stepping up efforts in investigation into corruption of FIFA leaders.

Could it be that America ends up saving football?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jose posted:

I can't tell if they really thought they could get away with trying to turn everything around on England/Australia instead of Qatar or if they're so deluded that they didn't even think people would notice or care

CNN saying the FBI are going to step up their investigations too

I don't think they expect people not to care I just expect them to find a way to make it not matter at all.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Sepp Blatter is a human cockroach. In a way, you almost have to respect his ability to stay in power. By all outward indications, he's a doddering little weasel, yet he's united the passions of dozens of kleptocrats

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

You have to admire the leverage Sepp must have on people. Even the most anti fifa interviews over this are waving off questions when his name gets brought up and indicating they don't feel he's involved or responsible in what's happening.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Frankly it's shameful we've been outclassed in both football AND corruption. We're losing our way as a nation.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Sepp Blatter is an Arsenal fan

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

they never face any reprecussions from any actions. it's ludicrous. why operate any differently? i have 0% expectation anything will come from current furor, and most of the ppl pocketing the money now probably plan to be dead by qatar so they won't even bother with the yelling that'll start up around then. and whoever is in charge at that time will reap the monetary reward bc we'll all watch it and the sponsors will be there and whatever lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

tbp posted:

they never face any reprecussions from any actions. it's ludicrous. why operate any differently? i have 0% expectation anything will come from current furor, and most of the ppl pocketing the money now probably plan to be dead by qatar so they won't even bother with the yelling that'll start up around then. and whoever is in charge at that time will reap the monetary reward bc we'll all watch it and the sponsors will be there and whatever lol

People will watch it on telly but gently caress all fans are going to want to actually go to Qatar, they'll have to hire North Koreans to fill the stands

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Makes sense.
Qatari stadiums need bodies in seats, Kim Jong Un is running low on mass graves.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sickening

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Sepp Blatter is an Arsenal fan

Leads a shady ring of the elite who funnel billions into secret bank accounts. Sounds like you've got the wrong bit of north london mate

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

This is amazing past the point of parody now. There was also this interview recently with the Qatar sports minister that basically amounts to them saying they haven't made up their minds yet whether or not to imprison any gay people who might dare to come and watch the World Cup.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/qatar-sports-minister-says-he-probably-wont-imprison-ga-1657523135/+Tom_Ley

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Good news for Africa, though. Guess who's offering to host the AFrica Cup 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.marca.com/en/2014/11/13/en/football/international_football/1415881273.html

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
We're all saying nothing will happen to fifa, but from the almost world wide laughter at this so called ethics report I actually think something may be done. If only to make it so Blatter cant step foot in any country that has an extradition treaty with the US to face his inevitable trial there.