Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Pander posted:

SD?

It was byo-yumi.

So how does he time you out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

AdorableStar posted:

So how does he time you out?

My lovely internet timing me out.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

After about 10 moves I wasn't making moves with precision. I was just trying to make them fast enough to ensure he couldn't time me out. Later on I left my own groups in atari for no reason other than that I knew he wouldn't take them (whether because he didn't feel like it or didn't notice them I can't say).

Look at my games with Uranus if you want to see what's closer to my level.

Oh, okay, if you're beating Uranus at 6 stones 15k is probably about right.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Is KGS still the go-to place for a beginner? I mean, online-go.com looks so much better in presentation, but I have no idea about numbers of players and games.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
online go is pretty great for correspondence games, never had trouble finding one. join the SA group!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

PerOlus posted:

Is KGS still the go-to place for a beginner? I mean, online-go.com looks so much better in presentation, but I have no idea about numbers of players and games.

I still can't figure out OGS's review system; the functionality of the actual board after the game is so much worse in comparison. Besides that, even if OGS says they "fixed" their ranking system, I still wouldn't trust it for beginner level since you can set your own rank. Yeah, ogs looks nice. What about it?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
you can only set your rank upon account creation. if you pick something stupid like 6d then the mods will change it for you once it becomes obvious your not that rank :)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Elo sux

logistic regression 4 lyfe

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

you can only set your rank upon account creation. if you pick something stupid like 6d then the mods will change it for you once it becomes obvious your not that rank :)

Except I never played any ranked games and only interacted with people whom I was introducing to the game or goons.

:goonsay:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Honestly Khel there's so much wrong with your posts

1. It doesn't matter what your rank is if you're not playing any games
2. If you do play games, your rank will quickly adjust
3. You're making the mistake that because OGS is 2 ranks offset from KGS, it must be wrong, as if KGS is a gold standard
4. Everyone on OGS is ranked relative to everyone else, so it doesn't matter anyway
5. The concept of rank is ultimately fluid and provides only a rough heuristic of actual strength, which varies dependent on conditions such as time, player mindset, etc. I have beaten dan players a number of times in blitz and correspondence, that doesn't make me dan.

Your obsession with rank is supremely facile

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Today I learned the word "facile".

I didn't comment my game with uranus, it was interesting and even if it looked like I was going to kill the right bottom group it wasn't clear-cut to me yet. My opening was pretty bad I guess in contrast to the solid way you played it. If you get used to some of my cheap attacks (baduk favors the assholes like me in this aspect) you'll be soon way better than me!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i watched The Divine Move last night. it was pretty good. violent crime thriller featuring go gamblers

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Honestly Khel there's so much wrong with your posts

1. It doesn't matter what your rank is if you're not playing any games
2. If you do play games, your rank will quickly adjust
3. You're making the mistake that because OGS is 2 ranks offset from KGS, it must be wrong, as if KGS is a gold standard
4. Everyone on OGS is ranked relative to everyone else, so it doesn't matter anyway
5. The concept of rank is ultimately fluid and provides only a rough heuristic of actual strength, which varies dependent on conditions such as time, player mindset, etc. I have beaten dan players a number of times in blitz and correspondence, that doesn't make me dan.

Your obsession with rank is supremely facile

6. Literally the only purpose of a ranking system is to make sure everyone wins about as many games as they lose in the long run (excluding unranked teaching games). It is not a measure of your intelligence, your knowledge of Go or your worth as a human being.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

how would you respond to this? seems.. not a very efficient move.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

uranus posted:

I would double approach normally. But with that enclosure on the other side I would also consider something around k17.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
c14

Maybe black will answer with an empty triangle with c16. :downs:

Or maybe the answer will be the kind of move he should've played instead of d17, c15. Then white goes d14 and gets a nice position imo.

^^beaten and I should know the name of things

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

J17.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
c14 is what i ended up playing. he followed with d14 and me d13. after how the game played out i feel i probably should have done j or k17

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The important thing is not to get jelly of blacks seemingly large grab of territory in the left top corner. Secure your lone stone at J17 seems sensible

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

No move but j17

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I prefer K17 to J17. Black's overconcentration means you can treat that stone lightly. If he captures it, he'll just become even more overconcentrated... so if he invades H17 you just extend again to N17. Meanwhile, you're destroying Black's potential in the high-value area in front of his high shimari.

If you play J17 meanwhile, then Black can extend in front of his shimari in sente, to L17. Then you have to play J15, and Black gets to play on the left as well. I don't like that result.

Here, look: http://eidogo.com/#sJ4w4q4B

xopods fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 18, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I prefer K17 to J17. Black's overconcentration means you can treat that stone lightly. If he captures it, he'll just become even more overconcentrated... so if he invades H17 you just extend again to N17. Meanwhile, you're destroying Black's potential in the high-value area in front of his high shimari.

If you play J17 meanwhile, then Black can extend in front of his shimari in sente, to L17. Then you have to play J15, and Black gets to play on the left as well. I don't like that result.

Here, look: http://eidogo.com/#sJ4w4q4B

Shouldn't black play H16 immediately after you jump out? Is that not a thing in this shape or do I remember a different situation wrong?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Now that the holidays are approaching and 2015 will definintely be The Year Of The Road To Shodan for us, someone want to make a new thread with updated info or something

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Do you mean primary A/T thread? If so, I will.

EDIT: Why do we need a new primary A/T thread? (Disregard this question if you meant a new recruit thread.)

Xom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 19, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

Do you mean primary A/T thread? If so, I will.

EDIT: Why do we need a new primary A/T thread? (Disregard this question if you meant a new recruit thread.)

I'm pretty sure it's a new GBS thread.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

Shouldn't black play H16 immediately after you jump out? Is that not a thing in this shape or do I remember a different situation wrong?

I think you see it sometimes as a probe, but it's certainly not required, or always good. It's true that locally White isn't entirely happy with either answer (connecting or pushing underneath), but at the same time both of those answers remove an option for Black (peep from the other side and second line placement, respectively).

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I'm looking for a client where I can play a skilled computer and take as much time to think about my decision as I want, and ideally go back and try different moves. I really want to focus on open game and learn how to defend against an assortment of attacks. Is there anything like this out there? Ideally it would also let me save my game so I could take it from home to work and vice-versa.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Unfortunately I can't provide any specific reconsiderations because I don't use bots, but basically, if you wade through this you'll probably find something that meets your needs:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoPlayingPrograms

If I recall correctly, http://fuego.sourceforge.net/ is a very strong engine, which you can plug into http://gogui.sourceforge.net/, which is a fairly nice little client. You should be able to save your game as an .SGF (the standard format) and continue playing / explore variations as you go.

I know you didn't ask, but just to say - if you are double-digit kyu, and looking to get strong quickly, you will probably benefit from playing lots of faster games against human opponents. But I totally understand needing your own pace to work things out; it's just bots are silent.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 22, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm looking for a client where I can play a skilled computer and take as much time to think about my decision as I want, and ideally go back and try different moves. I really want to focus on open game and learn how to defend against an assortment of attacks. Is there anything like this out there? Ideally it would also let me save my game so I could take it from home to work and vice-versa.
I use the Gogui frontend with the Fuego engine. Pachi is also a very good free engine.
And sometimes Pachi for Android.

But the only situation where I play against those is if I have no Internet and got bored with go-problems.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 22, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

it's just bots are silent.

It's not just that. Computers play the game fundamentally differently from humans, especially in the early game. If you're looking to understand the opening and early middlegame, playing against bots is the worst way to do it. You're going to develop some weird habits, and then when you actually do play against humans, you'll find them making moves that surprise you.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

New book day is the best day. :yayclod:

I live in filth.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
those are good books.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

o.m. 94 posted:

new thread
So what did you mean after all?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD1VnCtwqvU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

do that bozulich. do it.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
1. I don't see why we should have a new main thread, BUT I'd like to make it IF we do.

2. I'd be cool with a new recruit thread but I'm not volunteering to make it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Graded go problems for dan players volume 2, 5k to 3d results:

Winning capturing races and capturing stones tesuji = Really easy. Feels like Get strong at tesuji volume 2.
Tesuji appearing in joseki = :confused: Where do I even start?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AdorableStar posted:

I live in filth.

I'm honestly surprised by the lack of anime.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm honestly surprised by the lack of anime.

You should see his BonzaiBuddy cursor collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

My first 37x37 game :yayclod: