Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

*matrix phone sound*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

But I've always had the stone sound on kgs because of Xom's linked sound hack? :confuoot:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
hey kel play a corrospondance game with me on ogs, i'm around 8k now on there. i never have time for live games :'(

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

hey kel play a corrospondance game with me on ogs, i'm around 8k now on there. i never have time for live games :'(

Sorry, but I don't do correspondance. Everytime I tried one of those games, after the fuseki stage I became confused as to what I was trying to do in the game and ended up making nonsensical moves. Sure, I could probably sit down for 5 minutes a move to reassess the board, but that defeats the purpose of correspondance where you don't have a lot of time? I'd rather just play live on kgs for a 20-60 minute game.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i'm almost never in a situation where i can go 30-40 minutes without distractions :( i'm always playing at least a dozen correspondence games though. somehow its easy for me to remember what i was doing in each game. maybe cause i've always played this way since i started. if you ever change your mind please challenge me!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

AdorableStar posted:

Sorry, but I don't do correspondance. Everytime I tried one of those games, after the fuseki stage I became confused as to what I was trying to do in the game and ended up making nonsensical moves. Sure, I could probably sit down for 5 minutes a move to reassess the board, but that defeats the purpose of correspondance where you don't have a lot of time? I'd rather just play live on kgs for a 20-60 minute game.

this, coupled with that screenshot in the prior post, honestly

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 8, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

o.m. 94 posted:

Here is the corrected image. Best of luck,

so B18 and D18 are what the solution offers as the first two moves, although I don't understand why D18 is whites response because to me, cutting at B17 seems to almost certainly offer just one eye for black. bear in mind this is a changho Lee game and the whole board is shown for a reason

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uranus posted:

i'm almost never in a situation where i can go 30-40 minutes without distractions :( i'm always playing at least a dozen correspondence games though. somehow its easy for me to remember what i was doing in each game. maybe cause i've always played this way since i started. if you ever change your mind please challenge me!

Play me. I'm not sure if being around kgs 8k is actually around your ogs 8k but let's see how it goes!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah Uranus and sym feel free to challenge me too, I'm 6k OGS so we're all roughly same strength

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
symbolic butt i challenged you, though you are 6d and have no played games, so i hope its the right butt.

o.m. 94 whats your user name on ogs?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

oiseaux. i played you like a few days ago :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
oh! duh.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

o.m. 94 posted:

so B18 and D18 are what the solution offers as the first two moves, although I don't understand why D18 is whites response because to me, cutting at B17 seems to almost certainly offer just one eye for black. bear in mind this is a changho Lee game and the whole board is shown for a reason

B18 B17 D18, then C17 and D17 are miai for black

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
The Divine Move is a cool movie everyone should see it. It captures the essence of Go.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3419894/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uranus posted:

symbolic butt i challenged you, though you are 6d and have no played games, so i hope its the right butt.

o.m. 94 whats your user name on ogs?

yeah that's me, don't tell anyone but I'm not actually 6d :ssh:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What I got for $2.50 today:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

yeah that's me, don't tell anyone but I'm not actually 6d :ssh:

They changed my account to 10k like the cunts they are. Xom, what's that 級から段へ book about?

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Part 1: Fundamentals
Part 2: Moyo building
Part 3: Omoyo 作戦 [= tactics? strategy?] and Fuseki
Part 4: Takemiya's Go, before and while insei

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like that dude's suit

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

If SGFs are associated to CGoban3 (the KGS client), a new version of CGoban3 will cause the association to stop working. Here's how I fixed it on Windows 7:
  1. Delete all files from Java cache, by deleting C:\Users\Xom\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0 (it will be re-created).
  2. Re-install CGoban3 from https://www.gokgs.com/download.jsp ("CGoban for Java Web Start" creates a desktop shortcut).
  3. Right-click a SGF, Open With..., check "Always use the selected program", browse to the shortcut and select it.
reference: http://senseis.xmp.net/?KGSCGobanFileAssociation

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Jealous of the sweet Takemiya book. Would recognize that dome anywhere

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

Jealous of the sweet Takemiya book. Would recognize that dome anywhere

Cosmic.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I have time again (Also fulltime employment instead of contract bullshit!) and want to play go, but KGS deleted my account T.T somebody invite me back in when they can.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i added you in. hello again thread

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i was wondering if any of you guys ever got into checkers and could recommend me a book on checker strategy

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

No checkers there is only Go

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Probably something like this?

http://eidogo.com/#18DJod81Z:0,0

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also if White plays B17 in move 2, Black can respond with D18 which as far as I can see is bad news for white

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Got my first win vs 1dan in a local tournament, yay.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

o.m. 94 posted:

Also if White plays B17 in move 2, Black can respond with D18 which as far as I can see is bad news for white

That's a stronger counter, yeah.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I was thinking "Well, I've only won one 19x19 ever, and it was thanks to a handicap of 6, so maybe for my first random 19x19 I should set a range of 18k-25k. That should work to ensure I get someone roughly on par with me."

http://online-go.com/game/1084900

I never thought curb-stomping a player could feel more shameful or boring. If it weren't for some rudimentary logic and chat, I'd have thought I was facing a random bot. I think I'm going to set a minimum of like 22k from now on.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Pander posted:

I was thinking "Well, I've only won one 19x19 ever, and it was thanks to a handicap of 6, so maybe for my first random 19x19 I should set a range of 18k-25k. That should work to ensure I get someone roughly on par with me."

I never thought curb-stomping a player could feel more shameful or boring. If it weren't for some rudimentary logic and chat, I'd have thought I was facing a random bot. I think I'm going to set a minimum of like 22k from now on.

Stop making empty triangles :mad:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I had no incentive to play well. I just wanted it to end :(

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
you probably could have beat that guy with a 9 stone handicap, i'd aim for for 15-16k

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

Get stronger so you can curb stomp more people.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

you probably could have beat that guy with a 9 stone handicap, i'd aim for for 15-16k

Pander is not 15-16k. Capturing with N15 at move 24 is a move that should be automatic for a player that level.

You may be right that he could have beaten that opponent at 9 stones though. But I would say that guy is 28k-29k... so I'd put Pander at 20k.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

Pander is not 15-16k. Capturing with N15 at move 24 is a move that should be automatic for a player that level.

You may be right that he could have beaten that opponent at 9 stones though. But I would say that guy is 28k-29k... so I'd put Pander at 20k.

After about 10 moves I wasn't making moves with precision. I was just trying to make them fast enough to ensure he couldn't time me out. Later on I left my own groups in atari for no reason other than that I knew he wouldn't take them (whether because he didn't feel like it or didn't notice them I can't say).

Look at my games with Uranus if you want to see what's closer to my level.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

After about 10 moves I wasn't making moves with precision. I was just trying to make them fast enough to ensure he couldn't time me out. Later on I left my own groups in atari for no reason other than that I knew he wouldn't take them (whether because he didn't feel like it or didn't notice them I can't say).

Look at my games with Uranus if you want to see what's closer to my level.

You were playing on SD and had no byo-yomi? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

SD?

It was byo-yumi.