Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Schizophrenic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

serious gaylord posted:

We're all saying nothing will happen to fifa, but from the almost world wide laughter at this so called ethics report I actually think something may be done. If only to make it so Blatter cant step foot in any country that has an extradition treaty with the US to face his inevitable trial there.

FIFA have shown that they couldn't be bothered to care about bad press. The big question is whether the full report will get released, and if criminal investigations will follow. Even then, there's a good chance that FIFA will hang a couple mid level officials out to dry (and probably give them a big pay off), and wait for the whole thing to blow over.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The rootless cosmopolitan money spinning frauds must be taken to task.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

On pain of a permaban I am not going to watch a single game of Qatar 2022. Feel free to quote me in 8 years time if I am not dead.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
All our hopes rest with ISIS now, allah speed.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

serious gaylord posted:

We're all saying nothing will happen to fifa, but from the almost world wide laughter at this so called ethics report I actually think something may be done. If only to make it so Blatter cant step foot in any country that has an extradition treaty with the US to face his inevitable trial there.

Nothing will happen until major European nations (and England) tell FIFA to git tae gently caress

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Shame the Barclays British BPL is too tied in with middle eastern and russian oil money to disentangle itself from this system of fraud and lies.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
gently caress FIFA!

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Pissflaps posted:

You know, the real solution to this is for us to find another sport to watch.

Kronum

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Do not worry, an NFL team is coming to London. You can forget this frilly sport soon. The future is coming.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If the FBI ends up bringing down Fifa yall can never make fun of us saying "soccer" again.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

African AIDS cum posted:

Do not worry, an NFL team is coming to London. You can forget this frilly sport soon. The future is coming.
Oh yes, the NFL, the league where players beat their wives, their children, have dog fights and murder people. But don't you dare smoke some weed!

EDIT: Not saying they are somehow worse than Fifa. Just to clear that up. Also, I love the NFL.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 13, 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Wuntvor posted:

Oh yes, the NFL, the league where players beat their wives, their children, have dog fights and murder people. But don't you dare smoke some weed!

At least that stuff is publicized and not hidden or brushed aside.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

serious gaylord posted:

The head of the FA has already come out today to say Sepp is a great man and this doesn't reflect on him in any way shape or form. Even if Fifa's reputation gets tarnished even more he's like loving Teflon.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Also LOL that the western nations' openness and freedom of the press made their relatively tiny infractions count against them.

Our only hope now is if pressure mounts too high on the sponsors.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I saw that there were 100 new posts in this thread and foolishly got my hopes up that it meant Qatar had been stripped

how stupid of me to get my hopes up

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

once Gamergate wins they can focus their energy on FIFA

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've been laughing all day about this whole thing. I had to explain to colleagues, two of whom are foreigners and none of whom follow foot or sport at all, why this thing was funny and none of them understood any of it. the closest I got was 'are you talking about Bernie Ecclestone?'

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bernie wishes he could be as bulletproof as Sepp.

Maybe he should relocate to Switzerland.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Jose posted:

Qatar are paying North Korea for a load of Koreans to help build the city for the world cup

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Wuntvor posted:

Well yeah those are some of the good parts of the NFL but honestly there are cons to the sport too, like all the commercial breaks, I can't deal with those.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The NFL is coming to Europe, with all the wife-beating, dog-fighting, murders and a new, exaggerated lad culture for the continent. Can't wait.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Imagine mixing the NFL culture with Serbian football fans. Getting a big ol' boner just thinking about it.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
FIFA are running operations that are literally killing thousands of Nepali workers while receiving money from the Islamic State and North Korea, but have you seen the wife-beating in the NFL???

advanced statsman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 13, 2014

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I support FIFA.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

jyrka posted:

I support FIFA.

Estonian World Cup 2026 incoming.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

advanced statsman posted:

Imagine mixing the NFL culture with Serbian football fans. Getting a big ol' boner just thinking about it.

Isn't that every Australian sport?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
FIFA is Serbia

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

Estonian World Cup 2026 incoming.

Don't think FIFA will give it to Russia again so soon mate.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Actually, FIFA are going to make every major competition host their games in Qatar. Bit of a bugger for the teams in the qualifying rounds for the FA Cup, but I'm sure they'll get over it.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am pretty sure we will see each Emirate host the next 5 world cups now that we are on a winter World Cup schedule.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tsaedje posted:

Isn't that every Australian sport?

We don't care nearly enough to riot about AFL

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
it blows my mind that the big federations haven't pulled out of FIFA yet

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The big federations that actually care and could have the worldwide audience to actually challenge FIFA are Europe, and... uh...

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Losing the European federations would be terrible from a talent standpoint but I think what would actually change things in the extreme short term is loss of European and American advertisers and TV contracts. I doubt the federations would stick to the plan for more than a tournament or two and in the meantime FIFA would keep right on trucking. But losing that money would change things before Russia in 2018.

It will never happen. If the international media and public can't get their poo poo together to cover the horrible awful poo poo that's happening in Qatar right this very instant the advertisers will see the outrage as extreme outliers to the general public who will tune in to the World Cup every 4 years.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah the next time any of my friends give the NFL any poo poo about their policies on wife beating, I am going to laugh.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Bogan Krkic posted:

The big federations that actually care and could have the worldwide audience to actually challenge FIFA are Europe, and... uh...

Who?

Everyone except the countries (England, USA, Australia) who bid for these world cups is basically complicit and doesn't give a gently caress.

I think we all have a warped sense of world opinion due to reading English speaking (and usually British or Yank origin) media. No one gives a poo poo.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Adnar posted:

Who?

Everyone except the countries (England, USA, Australia) who bid for these world cups is basically complicit and doesn't give a gently caress.

I think we all have a warped sense of world opinion due to reading English speaking (and usually British or Yank origin) media. No one gives a poo poo.

My point was that really only UEFA would have enough pull to make their own separatist FIFA-lite, but you're right, they don't care either. And literally no-one would care if FIFA lost AFC or CONCACAF et al

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Platini was one of the key people that voted Qatar wasn't he?

I don't think even the AFC or CONCACAF even care outside of Aus and USA respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Well the AFC might care if only because Qatar is a member and with this farce they won't be able to host until again until 2034 at the earliest. I'd imagine the lion's share of AFC exco members went for South Korea and Japan until they were eliminated and then voted against Qatar once they were. Probably thinking that if it went to the US it would almost certainly be going to Asia in 2026.

Of course that assumes rational actors who were voting for the best interests of the sport and their confederation. So forget I said anything.

EDIT: With that in mind, I wonder if the US will come around to being a candidate again in 2026. They seemed pretty soured on the whole process and if I remember correctly they said they'd only be interested if FIFA changed their ways.

Well if Wikipedia is to be believed the confirmed bids so far are Mexico, Canada, and Colombia. So really it's the USA's for the taking if they decide to bid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

I think it's funny that FIFA and the IOC are now on the road to having no developed, reasonably non-corrupt countries interested to bid anymore. poo poo the next vote for the Winter Olympics in 2022 is between Almaty, Kazakhstan and loving Beijing. Have fun with that guys.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 14, 2014