Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is arguably a better core game but it runs so much more poorly and has so many other problems that the better core elements are lost. And some other elements are worse. (Super-boring combat being the biggest one.)

Jeez, that's a huge disappointment. It looked so promising from early previews, and the French Revolution setting is something I've been wanting for a while. And the fact that the stated goal was to improve combat and they ended up making it more boring sucks, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Harrow posted:

Jeez, that's a huge disappointment. It looked so promising from early previews, and the French Revolution setting is something I've been wanting for a while. And the fact that the stated goal was to improve combat and they ended up making it more boring sucks, too.

I know, the game was a day one purchase for me all the way through development. I was so excited to finally get back to the huge cityscapes of AC2/Brotherhood, and Paris (during any time in the past 500 years, really) seemed like such a great setting for an AC game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

It's very very bad technically, the gameplay is AssCreed and fine. The problem is I don't even want to play the game right now because of just how bad the technical issues are. Like I said in the Steam thread, don't buy, it's like an alpha of a game that's "feature complete".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Personally, I feel like I'd like the new combat more if the frame rate didn't get to get lower when you've got a crowd around. They expect you to get better at timing your blocks and stuff, which is cool, but then in practice it means that things just get choppy and you're not able to react to anything in time. Really, I'd be much happier with the game if it ran better. The crowds are great, but then you see somebody get stuck on some pathfinding, or magically jump six feet in the air for no reason, or you're in a huge battle, but the framerate gets so choppy that it starts to get hard to tell what's going on. Like somebody said, there's a pretty good core game in here, I'm enjoying even just walking around the city streets for the first time since AC1, but the technical issues are really holding it back, and that's coming from somebody who normally can overlook polish and framerate issues.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 13, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

No.

People have been having performance issues, but that seems to be mostly an AMD thing. My Nvidia had been running smooth. Only glitch I've seen is textures not loading in once during a mission, but a checkpoint restart cleared it up.

Some of the services they were planning on launching in parallel have been a bit buggy which has also impacted the game as well, but the companion app and Initiates are now mostly working right.

For better or worse it's more of a return to the Ezio games in overall feel and world. Not quite Black Flag, but I guess that's why Rogue exists.

The game also lets you basically do any drat thing you want after doing the first 4 or 5 missions, when you finish the beginning of sequence 2. I honestly think that's a new record.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
People who claim you couldn't hide in the wilderness of AC3 must have forgotten to climb trees. Vast swaths of the forests were navigable via the canopy. Made hunting and assassinations easy.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

People who claim you couldn't hide in the wilderness of AC3 must have forgotten to climb trees. Vast swaths of the forests were navigable via the canopy. Made hunting and assassinations easy.

Yeah that was kind of a weird complaint. The only things I didn't like about AC3 were that half of the game was a loving tutorial and the protagonist was a reckless whining bitch with no personality. I thought it was really good besides that, but those were admittedly big issues and the game deserves any heat it gets because of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd still probably pick this up now if this month wasn't so full of other games I want to play. As it stands I'll probably pick it up at some point, because even the less-than-good AC games tend to keep me entertained, but I'm not desperate enough for some AC to jump in quite yet.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

No.

People have been having performance issues, but that seems to be mostly an AMD thing. My Nvidia had been running smooth. Only glitch I've seen is textures not loading in once during a mission, but a checkpoint restart cleared it up.

Some of the services they were planning on launching in parallel have been a bit buggy which has also impacted the game as well, but the companion app and Initiates are now mostly working right.

For better or worse it's more of a return to the Ezio games in overall feel and world. Not quite Black Flag, but I guess that's why Rogue exists.

The game also lets you basically do any drat thing you want after doing the first 4 or 5 missions, when you finish the beginning of sequence 2. I honestly think that's a new record.

If only the ability to actually play with other people worked, alot of people can not get the game to talk to the ubi servers at all.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
An Amazon review

Christian Stella posted:

***** Become a $60 Beta Assassin!, November 12, 2014

AC Unity is true next-gen. In fact, it is SO next-gen that it isn't even finished yet! I like to be on the cutting edge and I appreciate that Ubisoft is making games that it is still making, even weeks after you've beaten them.

I also love the forced integration with an app as well as a website. How that works is that you sign in with your uplay account to experience so many error messages that last gen could never display on screen at one time.

The game itself (no spoilers) centers around Arno, an Assasin in search of locked chests that require a cell phone game with micro transactions to open. You level him up by "hacking" into your bank account to drain real money at 60 FPS. The rest of the game runs at a solid 12 FPS which is TWICE as cinematic as a movie... No small feat! Once you've completed "playing" a website on your computer, Arno is finally ready to fall through the ground and enter a white abyss... The core challenge of the game, these moments where you simply fall into the sky that accurately existed under 1700's Paris, are some of the most nail-biting moments in any game ever made... Will the game crash? Will you have to hard reset your console? Results are random, so it will always be a surprise!

Many people just won't "get" this evolution of Assassin's Creed and should spend their time opening up a history book instead. It is there they could read up on Paris' floating people and long battle with pop-in. Even today, many Parisians only exist after you've already walked past them. It is these small details that Ubisoft has nailed and they deserve applause with tons of random audio pops just as you'd hear in the game's cinematics.

After playing this gem, I've decided to fly to Montreal tomorrow to begin playing 2018's Assassin's Creed 9. Unity's only shortcoming was that it was a little TOO finished, so I am hoping the Ubisoft guys will let me plug my controller into a broken vending machine in their studio that simply eats dollars that I put into it without delivering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Personally, I feel like I'd like the new combat more if the frame rate didn't get to get lower when you've got a crowd around. They expect you to get better at timing your blocks and stuff, which is cool, but then in practice it means that things just get choppy and you're not able to react to anything in time. Really, I'd be much happier with the game if it ran better. The crowds are great, but then you see somebody get stuck on some pathfinding, or magically jump six feet in the air for no reason, or you're in a huge battle, but the framerate gets so choppy that it starts to get hard to tell what's going on. Like somebody said, there's a pretty good core game in here, I'm enjoying even just walking around the city streets for the first time since AC1, but the technical issues are really holding it back, and that's coming from somebody who normally can overlook polish and framerate issues.

You press parry when the bar tells yellow. You don't have to time anything yourself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

The framerate absolutely hurts it since it's based on 'precision timing', but there are other problems. Enemies frequently 'teleport' from offscreen to attack which certainly makes larger battles harder but because of cheaper hits, not actual difficulty. the actual dodge/parry stuff is cool in theory but it feels silly. If you try to dodge an attack the game doesn't want you to the enemy sliiiides along the ground to hit you. I get why they did that but it looks really goofy in the middle of the more realistic animations.There also just doesn't seem to be a lot of variety. Dodge when enemy yells, parry when it flashes yellow. That isn't bad, you can do simple well (Batman does so) but Batman does simple-with variety. Even AC4 had more varied combat even if you could just counter-kill everything.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Aphrodite posted:

I can connect to UPlay now but all I get is a screen that says Back to Game.

Having the same problem here on PS4.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ImpAtom posted:

That isn't bad, you can do simple well (Batman does so) but Batman does simple-with variety.

You are actually trying to compare this game to batman like their system is any better. You have 4 moves punch, dodge, parry, and stun. They are exactly the same except batman throws up huge flashing signs when to press the buttons.

If you guys arn't enjoying the game why bother reading this thread, its cool you don't like it go talk on reddit or gamefaqs how you are unsatisfied in one of the simplest games ever made.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 13, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

The framerate absolutely hurts it since it's based on 'precision timing', but there are other problems. Enemies frequently 'teleport' from offscreen to attack which certainly makes larger battles harder but because of cheaper hits, not actual difficulty. the actual dodge/parry stuff is cool in theory but it feels silly. If you try to dodge an attack the game doesn't want you to the enemy sliiiides along the ground to hit you. I get why they did that but it looks really goofy in the middle of the more realistic animations.There also just doesn't seem to be a lot of variety. Dodge when enemy yells, parry when it flashes yellow. That isn't bad, you can do simple well (Batman does so) but Batman does simple-with variety. Even AC4 had more varied combat even if you could just counter-kill everything.

Did you mean to post this in the Arkham Origins thread?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I can't access online stuff at all. It's giving me some error code [0x60000001] whenever I try to access brotherhood stuff, or online leaderboards or anything. I thought I may be able to wring some fun out of this by doing some co op with my brother and I can't even do that.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

macnbc posted:

And.. you're saying that's a good thing? How long does it take you to go make a sandwich because it usually takes me about 2 minutes, which is an insufferably long load screen in 2014. It's also very long even in comparison to some past AC games.

I think that they feel longer, relatively, because it's just a black screen with a spinning icon in the corner to let you know it hasn't crashed (and, after a few minutes, the laziest progress bar ever to let you know it hasn't hung) instead of letting you run around in animus-land.

Is Unity's next-gen loading algorithm so advanced and resource-intensive that they couldn't have let us walk around in animus land this time?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Did you mean to post this in the Arkham Origins thread?

Arkham Origins was probably the most unoptimized big-budget PC game I'd played up to this point- I fell through the world three times over the course of the game. In Unity, I've fallen through the world no less than eight times over the course of as many hours.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

In my opinion, this game is in a worse state and does more to harm the series than origins did for arkham

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ethanol posted:

In my opinion, this game is in a worse state and does more to harm the series than origins did for arkham

I like how there is a huge city again, and that the main character is not a hunting expert and has to skin every animal to make items. The skinning stuff I hope is done for, it was sweet in AC3 and it got very old very fast in AC4.

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

I must be exceptionally lucky, since I've had zero framerate issues or glitches/bugs. I think people might be overreacting a bit. It's an Assassin's Creed game, if you like the series, you will enjoy this one. The only hiccup I've had is running into walls, but that's been a series long issue. Also, don't fight so much if you hate the combat? I've had luck using smoke bombs and running away if it wasn't mission critical to kill something. If you disliked Black Flag, don't even bother with this game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You are actually trying to compare this game to batman like their system is any better. You have 4 moves punch, dodge, parry, and stun. They are exactly the same except batman throws up huge flashing signs when to press the buttons.

If you guys arn't enjoying the game why bother reading this thread, its cool you don't like it go talk on reddit or gamefaqs how you are unsatisfied in one of the simplest games ever made.

Uh, what? So are you posting about Arkham from an alternate universe or something?

CreedThoughts posted:

I must be exceptionally lucky, since I've had zero framerate issues or glitches/bugs. I think people might be overreacting a bit. It's an Assassin's Creed game, if you like the series, you will enjoy this one. The only hiccup I've had is running into walls, but that's been a series long issue. Also, don't fight so much if you hate the combat? I've had luck using smoke bombs and running away if it wasn't mission critical to kill something. If you disliked Black Flag, don't even bother with this game.

There is footage and actual framerate comparisons available. The "I think people are overreacting" argument kind of falls flat in the face of actual proof.

Also I liked Black Flag so...?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 13, 2014

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Must have been a slow news day at the Beeb.

Assassin's Creed glitches criticised http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30040613

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cream posted:

Must have been a slow news day at the Beeb.

Assassin's Creed glitches criticised http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30040613
ubisoft shares dropped 12 % over this game :drat:
I hope this is finally a real wake up call for ubisoft

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CreedThoughts posted:

No glitches that matter for me either. I've had NPCs randomly die in the street but that doesn't affect anything.

However you've probably had frame rate issues, they just haven't bothered you.

ethanol posted:

ubisoft shares dropped 12 % over this game :drat:

That's just going to make some people a bunch of money.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
After playing it a bit more last night and today, I have to say my opinion of it has improved. The initial patch didn't finish downloading before I started playing and it seemed to clear up a bunch of the issues that were pulling me out of the game.

I'm liking the story a lot more than I expected, particularly because I am enjoying the presentation of becoming an Assassin. It feels like a secret society more than previous games. It's hard to place my finger on, but I'm liking the organization in this better than I did three and four.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ethanol posted:

Origins was good though?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Anyone who still has their 360 or PS3 should just get Rogue for that. I don't see Ubisoft putting it on PC for a long time, if ever.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Should I try getting ACU for the PS4? Or should I just wait for Witcher 3?

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Are there any Goon Clubs for Unity going?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

At least some of the glitches are amusing

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

im pooping! posted:

Anyone who still has their 360 or PS3 should just get Rogue for that. I don't see Ubisoft putting it on PC for a long time, if ever.

It's already announced for Spring 2015.

Floridiot posted:

Are there any Goon Clubs for Unity going?

Yes, it's in the OP.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Grouchio posted:

If you read even the last 40 posts you should have been able to figure out that you should definitely wait indefinitely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Do you have Shadow of Mordor already?

im pooping! posted:

Is it really solid? I'm gonna wait for bargain bin but if it's actually AC4-level or thereabouts it'll probably be fun.

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
Am I really stupid or is there no way to move through crowds like in the old games? It used to be that your character would push NPCs out of the way if you were just walking through a group but in Unity I just keep slowly pinballing through them and it's pretty frustrating.

Performance-wise I seem to be one of the lucky ones and have no real issues so far. The texture pop-in is annoying though and the big crowds in the very beginning of the game are mostly clone armies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Inept posted:

At least some of the glitches are amusing

Game can have missing textures and a ragdoll that totally not realistic! Stop the presses never seen before ever things in games!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CreedThoughts posted:

Why would you lie, CreedThoughts?

Why the gently caress can my dude jump off a 3 story roof and take zero damage?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
All this Ubisoft hate doesn't make sense to me. The game is perfectly playable. To be honest if there's a problem it's more likely on your end and I wish people would stop throwing that glitch compilation video of floating NPCs around like it's 100% damning. It happens in all the games, other games notwithstanding. It really comes off as some kind of malicious jealousy and unreasonable bandwagon jumping trying so hard to discredit a company that has been doing better and better every year. I'm playing on a console and I've fallen through the floor once in about 30 hours of sustained play, which I should mention can and has happened rarely in all the games too, seen some floating people, and even gotten stuck on geometry and couldn't move.

But I just fast traveled and it fixed the last part, and like I mentioned this has happened in all the past games.

BBC Article posted:

Glitches include characters bending into impossible positions and floating in the air

This isn't even a legitimate 'glitch,' that was a player death and that's just how ragdoll physics work when the physics are unconstrained. Why is it considered a failure on Ubi's part here when everywhere else it's a moment to point and laugh at? In fact, there are no credible problems being presented in these hateful diatribes, and yes there are changes that deserve to be criticized but it doesn't demean the product so violently. And what is this performance crisis that is destroying the experience for a nebulous many? The frame rate is going to dip on a console, that's just how it is and how it will always be. Methinks if there's a problem on PC with you, then you don't understand hardware and think a diamond studded $5,000-$10,000 e-peen extender is the end-all of e-machines and can't possibly run things lower than 120fps at 1440p on six 24" monitors. In theory it should, but the reality is far different, and it's a kind of thing demonstrated in the days following all releases.

Calling Ubisoft the next EA is ludicrous, because they haven't betrayed you with a game like Dragon Age 2, they didn't kill a series with a game like Ultima 9, and they certainly didn't take over and destroy a number of developers in the industry to stifle forward thinking, competition, and creativity.

After that "No playable female characters thing" it made it even easier to hate Ubi just to hate them.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ImpAtom posted:

Is it really solid? I'm gonna wait for bargain bin but if it's actually AC4-level or thereabouts it'll probably be fun.

I've commented with impressions a few times, but if you liked AC4 then you'll like Rogue. It's "more of the same" gameplay-wise. Refinements to AC4 stuff but nothing truly different. But it's got a new story with new characters in different places, so if you enjoyed the gameplay in AC4 and just wished when the end credits rolled that there was more to see, then Rogue is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Aside from being on a less powerful console, it is very solid, even for a new release. The only real holdover bug from AC4 is sound effects not playing on time during combat or sailing. They've improved on things as well, for instance sailing has more weapons and the control scheme is a little different, but I'd say it's better. They added new weapons, so along with sleep and berserk darts, you get a grenade launcher as well. It is, as said, basically AC4-2 with different characters/setting. I've got like 13-14 hours logged and all I can say about it is it's really fun.

Also performance shouldn't be an issue if they are putting on PC. We just have to hope it's a good port.

• Locked thread