Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Modern Leper posted:

So I need to fill the hole in my soul with empty consumerism, and I'm thinking of upgrading from a 2 to an Air 2. Can I just walk into a store and grab one, or is anyone seeing backlogs or wait times?

Do this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/trade-in-offer-129347?ref=195&loc=0fdfb0b6476e4c288385fd1f184ff938

I walked into a store and most models were available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Very tempting, but there isn't a Best Buy near me and an Apple Store is three blocks away. I figured I would hand down my current model to my partner, or sell it to him for cheap. If I can get some willpower, maybe I'll drive out there tomorrow.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

So I need to fill the hole in my soul with empty consumerism, and I'm thinking of upgrading from a 2 to an Air 2. Can I just walk into a store and grab one, or is anyone seeing backlogs or wait times?

My local Best Buy was out of 64GB Space Grey Air 2's, but I was able to order one for pick-up. I imagine you'll find most of the supply constraints on the 64GB model, but if you don't care about color I doubt you'll have any issues.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I'm having a weird problem where after clicking the update button for an app, it switches to the program instead of updating this. I can successfully download new apps, I just can't update anything. I tried turning off and on again and it didn't work, tried googling and didn't find anything. Anyone else run into this problem?

iPad Air 32gb with Wifi

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Is it for just one app? Try uninstalling and then reinstall the app.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Nope, every loving app

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jet Ready Go posted:

I'm having a weird problem where after clicking the update button for an app, it switches to the program instead of updating this. I can successfully download new apps, I just can't update anything. I tried turning off and on again and it didn't work, tried googling and didn't find anything. Anyone else run into this problem?

iPad Air 32gb with Wifi

Are you still on iOS 7? All of my updates failed for two weeks until I finally upgraded to 8. Apps just turned gray and wouldn't open after I tried to do an AppStore update-all.

Annoying, but updating to 8 fixed it, or at least something in the process did.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Have you tried the update all button?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jet Ready Go posted:

iPad Air 32gb with Wifi

I have the same problem with my OG mini. You can still connect it to a computer and update the apps through iTunes if you want. I've learned to let it sit there next to the big red 1 wanting me to update to ios8.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Next time you guys fly, remember to check thoroughly for a USB port. I didn't find mine until the end of a 17 hour flight. Pissed me off. It was near my ankles, and nobody else had any idea it was there either.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ChocNitty posted:

Next time you guys fly, remember to check thoroughly for a USB port. I didn't find mine until the end of a 17 hour flight. Pissed me off. It was near my ankles, and nobody else had any idea it was there either.

You can look up your flight number in seatguru (a site and an app) to get all kinds of information about your seats.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

GutBomb posted:

You can look up your flight number in seatguru (a site and an app) to get all kinds of information about your seats.

Alternatively there are people known as "Flight Attendants" who specialize in knowing things like that. Best part is: they're on basically every flight!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Alternatively there are people known as "Flight Attendants" who specialize in knowing things like that. Best part is: they're on basically every flight!

Always good when you're already on the plane, but if you're at home selecting your seat a month before the flight they can be hard to get ahold of.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Going from an iPad 2 to Air 2 I'm still adjusting to the ridiculous sharpness of the screen. My only gripes so far are the vibrations from the speakers and the fact that the new 3-fold smart covers aren't nearly as stable when laid in the near flat position. The original Smart Cover design was nearly perfect. Why mess with a good thing?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at getting an iPad Air 2. Not sure whether to go for 16gb or 64gb. I don't see myself taking photos or video on it. I have an iPhone 6 for that, which I got 64gb for, and I'm using 10gb on it. I have iTunes Match and Photo Stream and Netflix and all that. Don't plan to really play games. I'm contemplating just plunking down the $100 extra anyway so I don't have to worry about it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

fleshweasel posted:

I'm looking at getting an iPad Air 2. Not sure whether to go for 16gb or 64gb. I don't see myself taking photos or video on it. I have an iPhone 6 for that, which I got 64gb for, and I'm using 10gb on it. I have iTunes Match and Photo Stream and Netflix and all that. Don't plan to really play games. I'm contemplating just plunking down the $100 extra anyway so I don't have to worry about it.

Get the 64GB.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Just to confirm... The Mini 3 is essentially the Mini 2 with TouchID? (And therefore not worth the extra money?)

Googling seems to give me 50/50 results on whether the Mini 3 has 1gb or 2gb for ram.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

limekle posted:

Just to confirm... The Mini 3 is essentially the Mini 2 with TouchID? (And therefore not worth the extra money?)

Googling seems to give me 50/50 results on whether the Mini 3 has 1gb or 2gb for ram.

I would struggle to pay $100 for a touch ID alone, but I have to tell you: the touch ID on my Air 2 has been a game changer for me. 1Password is a dream to use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

limekle posted:

It is exactly the Mini 2 with TouchID.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It is exactly the Mini 2 with TouchID.

And gold!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

slogsdon posted:

Get the 64GB.

I just did. This is my first post from it. It is good.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

Lexicon posted:

I would struggle to pay $100 for a touch ID alone, but I have to tell you: the touch ID on my Air 2 has been a game changer for me. 1Password is a dream to use.

Ugh, yeah. I do love both touchID and 1Password. I don't know if I can justify it for just that though. Trying to decide if I should just pony up the cash for an Air 2.

I'm still using a 1st Gen, so anything will be a huge improvement, but I also am planning on hanging on to whatever I buy for several years.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

limekle posted:

I'm still using a 1st Gen, so anything will be a huge improvement, but I also am planning on hanging on to whatever I buy for several years.

Then get the Touch ID model. If you're going to keep your iPad for 4 years like you did the original iPad, then that extra $100 is basically amortized out at $2/month. The TouchID convenience is worth well more than that, but then again I get my work email on mine and I hate entering a passcode six times a day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

limekle posted:

Ugh, yeah. I do love both touchID and 1Password. I don't know if I can justify it for just that though. Trying to decide if I should just pony up the cash for an Air 2.

I went from an original mini to an Air 2. This has been a mind blowing transition, and I encourage you to do the same :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lexicon posted:

I went from an original mini to mini 3. The hardware is still a huge upgrade from the original mini. Plus, I really wanted touchID. :(

Also Bestbuy was out of Air2's and not getting more in for a month.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
To clarify, I meant I'm coming from a 1st gen original iPad, not iPad mini. So anything will be a huge upgrade.

Considering the mini 3 so I don't hate myself in a couple years with no Touch ID.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're planning on using it forever get an Air 2. You don't want to already be starting with older hardware.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

The TouchID convenience is worth well more than that, but then again I get my work email on mine and I hate entering a passcode six times a day.

You have to be careful though, as it depends from company to company. Mine (giant tech megacorp) disables TouchID for any iOS devices you want your work email/calendar on, and requires you to enter an alphanumeric password vs a simple 4-digit PIN.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to be careful though, as it depends from company to company. Mine (giant tech megacorp) disables TouchID for any iOS devices you want your work email/calendar on, and requires you to enter an alphanumeric password vs a simple 4-digit PIN.

They disable touchID? Don't giant tech megacorps ostensibly care about security? Or should this be filed under for security reasons, your password may not contain more than 8 characters.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lexicon posted:

They disable touchID? Don't giant tech megacorps ostensibly care about security? Or should this be filed under for security reasons, your password may not contain more than 8 characters.

Maybe it's the RAMJAC corporation?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Lexicon posted:

Did you read the other half of the sentence or did you just stop at the TouchID part?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I bought a brand new iPad Air 2 today. I like it but I experienced a really weird issue. The first time I plugged it into a wall it became completely unresponsive. The only thing taut finally made it turn back on was a reset (holding the home and sleep/wake buttons for ten seconds). Why the hell did that happen? This made me nervous. Is my device faulty? Is it likely to happen again. It seems to be working fine now but I'm anxious. I've been using iphones and ipods for years and have never had any problems with them so I expect a lot of stability from Apple.

Edit: 64gb wifi if it matters.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Nov 14, 2014

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
The mini 3 also has extra an NFC chip for Apple pay to function properly with touchid :v:

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

DaNzA posted:

The mini 3 also has extra an NFC chip for Apple pay to function properly with touchid :v:

I don't think that's true. Touch ID on iPad is online purchases only, not for point of sale.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There's no NFC but it does have the enhanced secure element that has the capability of storing credit card data, IIRC.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

There's no NFC but it does have the enhanced secure element that has the capability of storing credit card data, IIRC.
...which itself is part of the NFC chip I think. In which case it has the NFC chip for online Apple Pay, but doesn't have NFC (i.e. wireless functionality) for Apple Pay in store. So everyone is right :toot:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The answer is, it has exactly the same hardware as the iPhone 6 and 6+, but lacks the NFC antenna, so NFC payments are probably not possible, even if Apple wanted them to be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobfather posted:

The answer is, it has exactly the same hardware as the iPhone 6 and 6+, but lacks the NFC antenna, so NFC payments are probably not possible, even if Apple wanted them to be.

They're talking about the Mini.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Aphrodite posted:

They're talking about the Mini.

Both the iPad Mini 3 and iPad Air 2 have exactly the same NFC hardware as the 6 and 6+, but lack the NFC antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, your post sounded like you were talking CPU and GPU stuff too.