Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

dublish posted:

They're really going for the Bavarian pronunciation in those translations.

????????

The gently caress Bavarians are you listening to? Bavarian's non-rhotic, for a start.

And the bigger problem you run into, and I assume a big cause of this, is transcription : English orthography is really, really non-phonemic, loving Chinese is better, and now you have to phonetically transcribe sounds that don't exist in English in a way so you pray to god some random rear end in a top hat reading them off the cuff will be understood by someone frightened for their lives and not super lenient with errors.

That sounds hard as balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How awesome would a movie about JB Hood's time in the Civil War with Hood played by Michael K. Williams be? It would not take the most complimentary stance of course. Lost-causers would not be happy with it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

cheerfullydrab posted:

How awesome would a movie about JB Hood's time in the Civil War with Hood played by Michael K. Williams be? It would not take the most complimentary stance of course. Lost-causers would not be happy with it.
Lost causers also hate Hood. Everyone hates Hood, because he was real dumb.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Doesn't everyone hate Braxton Bragg too? I don't know how him and Hood both have army bases named after them, although I guess the US has a shitload of army bases.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Yeah reading about Bragg's failures in Foote's books made me question why the base named after him is where the special forces are. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Doesn't everyone hate Braxton Bragg too? I don't know how him and Hood both have army bases named after them, although I guess the US has a shitload of army bases.

Well, none of his contemporaries liked Bragg. I don't know how his reputation has held up as a general or as a lost causer, but winning a major battle is always a feather in one's cap.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sullat posted:

Well, none of his contemporaries liked Bragg. I don't know how his reputation has held up as a general or as a lost causer, but winning a major battle is always a feather in one's cap.

Well, he won Chickamauga but then lost Chattanooga, largely as a result of not following up Chickamauga and letting the Union army escape.

I don't know if another general could have could have done a better job, but since he was an rear end in a top hat no one liked he's not given much slack.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Jefferson Davis liked Braxton Bragg, and that's the only opinion that mattered. :smug:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Pulling Buell all the way out of Alabama and through Tennessee counts for something, I guess.

It's just a shame Fort Rosecrans got chucked to the Navy.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

????????

The gently caress Bavarians are you listening to? Bavarian's non-rhotic, for a start.

And the bigger problem you run into, and I assume a big cause of this, is transcription : English orthography is really, really non-phonemic, loving Chinese is better, and now you have to phonetically transcribe sounds that don't exist in English in a way so you pray to god some random rear end in a top hat reading them off the cuff will be understood by someone frightened for their lives and not super lenient with errors.

That sounds hard as balls.

I showed the phrasebook to a German, and her best guess was that some Americans listened to German accents when speaking English and attempted to "reverse engineer" them for pronunciations. This worked poorly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dublish posted:

Jefferson Davis liked Braxton Bragg, and that's the only opinion that mattered. :smug:

Classic Bragg:

quote:

We often think of the term "fragging" -- attempts to kill officers by the enlisted men -- as a Twentieth Century phenomenon. But it happened to Bragg in Mexico. Someone (Bragg believed it to be a "fugitive from the laws of Ohio") exploded a bomb under his bed. Miraculously, Bragg escaped unhurt. A report of the situation went on to explain, "except some of his men think he is too severe in his discipline. This is the second attempt upon his life." fn (13)

The other story is perhaps grown with the telling, but is well in keeping with our understanding of Braxton Bragg. Life as an officer on outpost duty often meant having to wear many hats, and Bragg was conscientious, or disputatious enough to play all of the parts. As quartermaster for the post, he naturally felt himself responsible to requisition certain supplies. As company commander, however, he took his own written request and denied it. As if this was not bizarre enough, he then engaged in a written debate among his two alter egos, and one can only imagine the feelings the permanent company commander must have felt upon returning to the fort. "You've quarreled with everyone in the army, Bragg, and now you're quarreling with yourself!" he is alleged to have said. fn (14)

On examining the index of Connelly's Autumn of Glory, I found the following under the listing of "Bragg". There were separate discussions of:

Quarrels with Kirby Smith
Quarrels with Tennessee officers
Quarrels with Kentucky officers
Quarrels with Polk
Quarrels with Hardee
Quarrels with Breckinridge
Quarrels with Cleburne
Quarrels with Cheatham
Quarrels with McCown
Quarrels with Buckner
Relationship (negative) with Longstreet
Relationship (negative) with D.H. Hill
Quarrels with Hindman
Post-Chickamauga quarrels with officers
Quarrels with Forrest
Hostility towards [Joseph E.] Johnston fn (15)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dublish posted:

Nope, add his name to the list of people Bragg alienated. From Wikipedia:

quote:

Historians Grady McWhiney and Steven Woodworth have pointed out that, contrary to popular belief, Davis and Bragg were not friends, having bitterly quarreled during the antebellum years. Davis was impressed with Bragg's qualifications for high command early in the war, but was willing to relieve him by 1863, following Perryville and Stones River.

Edit: McWhiney is a good name for a Bragg historian

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 13, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Frankly given the state of the US military in the run-up to the Mexican-American war, I'm more surprised that more officers didn't have attempts on their lives. If you want to read a book about the messed up racism and drunken officers that led to "discipline" that made Prussians wonder what the hell was up and led to one of the best units of the Mexican Army being deserters from the US army, The Rogue's March is pretty solid and very readable. I should probably make a post about it at some time because dear god.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Nope, add his name to the list of people Bragg alienated. From Wikipedia:

Edit: McWhiney is a good name for a Bragg historian

There was a huge blow-up in October, 1863 in which all of Bragg's subordinates petitioned Davis to have him removed. Davis traveled to Atlanta personally to settle the issue, and after a rather uncomfortable meeting, Davis sided with Bragg over them. All of the complaining subordinates were transferred to oblivion or relieved of their commands.

It wasn't until the disasters at Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge that Bragg finally resigned. Even then, Davis hired him back as a military advisor in Richmond. Why Davis was so enamored of him remains a mystery.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

There was a huge blow-up in October, 1863 in which all of Bragg's subordinates petitioned Davis to have him removed. Davis traveled to Atlanta personally to settle the issue, and after a rather uncomfortable meeting, Davis sided with Bragg over them. All of the complaining subordinates were transferred to oblivion or relieved of their commands.
i would watch that episode of The Office

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Deteriorata posted:

It wasn't until the disasters at Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge that Bragg finally resigned. Even then, Davis hired him back as a military advisor in Richmond. Why Davis was so enamored of him remains a mystery.

You know, in hindsight, there are probably worse gigs in the Confederate Army than being reassigned to monitoring central Florida for Yankee incursions.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You know, in hindsight, there are probably worse gigs in the Confederate Army than being reassigned to monitoring central Florida for Yankee incursions.

Hopefully not the mosquito-infested swamplands.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

????????

:o: My high school German teacher was from Bavaria. All I remember was that she used the soft 'sh' for words with 'ch', rather than the harder 'ck' that she said was the northern pronunciation. This is all years ago, so I might be badly misremembering.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

^^^no no no. That's explicitly a Northern thing, in so far as I understand you. Bavarians, if anything, drop the sound at the end of a syllable. So like Preißen say "I" as 'isch' and we say it as 'i'.

I am literally Bavarian.

That is totally a Preiß thing and she is a traitor.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I showed the phrasebook to a German, and her best guess was that some Americans listened to German accents when speaking English and attempted to "reverse engineer" them for pronunciations. This worked poorly.

That doesn't really jive unless only the transcription was done by English speakers ; these are stilted and weird phrases, sure, but not word for word translations and would require a decent knowledge of German. So that'd only make sense if they had a German speaker to do the first pass and then fired them for just some rear end in a top hat.

Which maybe happened. Who knows? But it's dumb as hell if that's the case.

(Full disclosure : I speak German and am a linguist so I'm like ?????)

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 13, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Someone tell the transgenerational holdouts down there the war's over and the slavers lost.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Full disclosure : I speak German and am a linguist so I'm like ?????)
You speak Bavarian, you weirdo.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

You speak Bavarian, you weirdo.

THE OBJECTIVELY BEST GERMAN HATER

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Xiahou Dun posted:

THE OBJECTIVELY BEST GERMAN HATER

That's St. Alexander Nevsky.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Kirby Smith did a great job at... whatever it was he did.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Frankly given the state of the US military in the run-up to the Mexican-American war, I'm more surprised that more officers didn't have attempts on their lives. If you want to read a book about the messed up racism and drunken officers that led to "discipline" that made Prussians wonder what the hell was up and led to one of the best units of the Mexican Army being deserters from the US army, The Rogue's March is pretty solid and very readable. I should probably make a post about it at some time because dear god.

How does it compare to Grant's memoirs? I only got about halfway through his retelling of the Mex-Am War but it didn't exactly paint the US army in a positive light.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

During the world wars the US built about a jillion "camps" for training and whatnot and named them after practically everybody who had ever served ever, it is just coincidence that Bragg and Hood were among those that were kept around after the war.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sainsbury's have a spectacularly tasteless Christmas advert this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

Yes, it's about the truce in No Man's Land. Thank God all those people died so that a grocer with delusions of grandeur could hawk some groceries! Anyway, there's an obvious enough Guardian column pointing out what a bag of poo poo all this is.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/13/sainsburys-christmas-ad-first-world-war

So far, so predictable; but below the line, in the "Guardian picks" tab, lies the single best comment I've ever seen anywhere on the internet.

quote:

I went to the cinema the other day and this advert played after the normal ads where the film trailers usually go.

Everyone likes trailers, so it was respectfully quiet while we admired the cinematography and the faithful recreation of the trenches, but when the "Sainsbury's" logo appeared at the end fifty-odd people let out a collective "for gently caress's sake!" It was a truly beautiful moment.

I created an account just so I could upvote it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Trin Tragula posted:

Yes, it's about the truce in No Man's Land. Thank God all those people died so that a grocer with delusions of grandeur could hawk some groceries! Anyway, there's an obvious enough Guardian column pointing out what a bag of poo poo all this is.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/13/sainsburys-christmas-ad-first-world-war

So far, so predictable; but below the line, in the "Guardian picks" tab, lies the single best comment I've ever seen anywhere on the internet.

The best part about all that is that you've got an English guy giving a loving German a goddamned chocolate bar.

Think about that for a second. You just gave a loving German English Chocolate.

Might as well give an American wartime German cigarettes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best part about all that is that you've got an English guy giving a loving German a goddamned chocolate bar.

Think about that for a second. You just gave a loving German English Chocolate.

Might as well give an American wartime German cigarettes.

I bet he didn't even buy it at Sainsbury's.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Aren't you both American? This is a bit rich. English chocolate is loving great.

if it was literally any other kind of english food you'd have a point though

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

Aren't you both American? This is a bit rich. English chocolate is loving great.

if it was literally any other kind of english food you'd have a point though
Yeah but German chocolate is god dammned delicious.

My brother in law is half Swiss, half Dutch,and he gave his Swiss cousins some Hershey's once. A dude spat it out into his hand and went "Um...this chocolate...it's spoiled."

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

What's sad/terrible about it is - it's a *great* ad, IMHO. But the match of creator/piece is all wrong.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I never got all the hype about European chocolate, just tasted the same to me. Maybe I never got the good stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Haha, holy gently caress that advert.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

I never got all the hype about European chocolate, just tasted the same to me. Maybe I never got the good stuff.
You need 70% or more. My favorite is 90%, 95%, possibly with a touch of chili and orange oil.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haha, holy gently caress that advert.
I like to think that if anyone tried that in the US with our Civil War they'd be boycotted, but we're a crass and tasteless people.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Spacewolf posted:

What's sad/terrible about it is - it's a *great* ad, IMHO. But the match of creator/piece is all wrong.

should have faded out with them playing footy, then bam

brought to you by Adolf Dassler

(maybe even a joint ad by Adidas and Puma to reflect the sibling companies ending their 60 years of rivalry while working in the same little German village by playing a game of soccer in 2009)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The final words from The Guardian article.

quote:

The film-makers here have done something to the first world war which is perhaps the most dangerous and disrespectful act of all: they have made it beautiful.

Makes me wonder what horrible advertising explotiation awaits the memories of the 20th century war dead for sure now.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Speaking of crass and tasteless, I spend much of today sniggering childishly; first at the formation of the National Council for Combating Venereal Diseases (I'm actually quite impressed here by the efforts of the Territorials and Kitchener's Army, as the actual BEF has mostly been far too busy fighting the war to contribute to the problem, yet). There's also an amusing story about a moustache-wearing monocle-toting frightfully-well-spoken cavalry officer who politely requests of an infantry counterpart, "Would you mind getting off my loving battlefield?" And, as far as stories of armies losing battles and getting horribly killed can possibly be funny, there's a pretty hilarious French colonial gently caress-up in Morocco.

(Also, the latrines are overflowing in the Flanders trenches, and not for the last time. It's a lavatorial day all round.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh, if only they had the premium branded triple quilted Sainsbury brand toilet paper to comfort themselves (buy one get one free).

• Locked thread