Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
There's a road called "Isle of B" in Northern Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
There is a green tower of lights in the middle section between the Esplanade and Back Street at the end of Dartmouth St (the street you'd walk down coming from the BPL, the tower is visible the entire time you walk down Dartmouth from Copley)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3541192,-71.0792956,3a,55.3y,347.55h,92.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swlicjyENtcChkMTcsUo_rQ!2e0

The building on the Esplanade that you can only just see from here has a window shaped like one of the tiles on her dress, on both sides (one facing Storrow Dr and one facing in toward the Esplanade)

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3541192,-71.0792956,3a,15y,299.48h,86.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swlicjyENtcChkMTcsUo_rQ!2e0

The Citgo sign was not lit in 1981, but it was there. It is not animated. This has been confirmed with the Esplanade Society.

The green tower of lights is near a sign for 2A, which is the road that passes by Fenway park, you get on it from near here. This is all along the Esplanade right by the Storrow Compass, which is depicted as the portal in the image.

Standing at the Storrow Compass you can see the two turreted building with a 4 pronged "wall" in front of it. There is a "K" on the Storrow Compass, which when you see it, is bisected by a break in the stone. The < part of the K (if it were a separate | and <) looks exactly like the ^ seen on the Gypsy's sleeve.

And of course there is the depiction of the storrow benches in the image, and the hatch shell. There are 5 footbridges in the direction of the BPL from the storrow compass that lead you to the base of the Hatch Shell.

xie fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 13, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

There's a road called "Isle of B" in Northern Wisconsin.
Ironically, that's one of the places I found that I can't match to anything else in the verse or any image.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

The Citgo sign was not lit in 1981, but it was there. It is not animated. This has been confirmed with the Esplanade Society.

The sign was lit in '79 though. It was only dark for a couple of years.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

BigFactory posted:

The sign was lit in '79 though. It was only dark for a couple of years.

BP buried them all in 81/82, it was confirmed (via many hours of research and some help from the Esplanade Society) by 421 that the Citgo sign was dark at the time.

It barely matters, it's pretty clearly the citgo sign when stacked with everything else and that interpretation's been around for as long as the puzzle has.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

BP buried them all in 81/82, it was confirmed (via many hours of research and some help from the Esplanade Society) by 421 that the Citgo sign was dark at the time.

It barely matters, it's pretty clearly the citgo sign when stacked with everything else and that interpretation's been around for as long as the puzzle has.

And even during the daytime it looks more like the triangle on the dress than that black and white logo. Especially back then when it was all neon tubes.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3533679,-71.0823032,3a,15y,214.56h,104.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slaHkSUEFeBv9kKQcf0QSog!2e0

From the Esplanade this is visible on the back of Oliver Wendell Holmes house, located across the street (this is from Back Street). The Oliver Wendell Holmes memorial sundial is in the Esplanade right across from this photo. The shape matches the little house on the Pandora's Box in image 12. There is a wall, 2 turrets, and then this shape in the far right of the box.

It's going to take a lot to convince me it isn't along the Esplanade.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sorry, I've read this thread and know it's in here, but I forgot:
What are the obstacles keeping people from finding the Lauderdale cask?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sorry, I've read this thread and know it's in here, but I forgot:
What are the obstacles keeping people from finding the Lauderdale cask?

Same thing that keeps you from getting the Roanoke one: you know you're in the right general area but now you need to get to a very specific spot and the verse/images just don't help because:

1) You haven't made the connection right (everyone hopes it's this one) and tied the picture/verse to something concrete
or
2) The area has weathered/changed so much that the image clues are worthless.

Same with New Orleans, they moved poo poo around at Armstrong Park and it's toast. Roanoke, weathered down/removed/remodeled most likely. etc. etc.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I do think it's very odd that not a single "image match" has turned up for St Augustine considering the collective group has driven the owners insane with visits/digs. With the best one being the very differently posed dude on the sign and this site being worked for over 10 years it's a bit odd.

There are a few places that have been suggested over the years based on where fences used to be and such, but alas.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

I do think it's very odd that not a single "image match" has turned up for St Augustine considering the collective group has driven the owners insane with visits/digs.

There are a few places that have been suggested over the years based on where fences used to be and such, but alas.

I thought there was a map onsite with a picture of the coastline that matches the right side of the rock that the conquistador is standing on?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Is there? Somehow I've missed that. I know the outline of the cove south of St Augustine park looks like the rock in the bottom right of the image, and it's been suggested that the flag held by the man is shaped like the path on the mission grounds.

There is also a giant crucifix on the mission grounds (there's a cross in the painting).

I've personally liked the mission over the park, but it's from my chair in Boston.

edit: There is a super nice Q4T poster who will take photos for you if you ask :) She goes there regularly to visit family.

There's also the fact that the first mission in the US was founded there, and it's located on Water St, so you can link whatever you want with either park. The "wind rose" thing is pretty damning though. At some point you definitely need to end up near it, unless somehow there are two.

edit: LOL!!!! Such pwnage! :hfive: :hfive: :hfive:

xie fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 13, 2014

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
what is this autistic gbs 1.0 horseshit lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

There is a super nice Q4T poster who will take photos for you if you ask :) She goes there regularly to visit family.

Nah I don't need pics, I don't think I could succeed where dozens have failed (also being onsite at Roanoke made me realize how little pics helped). I'm not a particularly perceptive person. Part of my Roanoke diversion was just because I enjoyed the old "missing colonists CROTOAN" story when I was a kid and wanted to see where it happened. That I might get to participate in Mug Search 2014 was just a little boost, but I walked into the gardens knowing full well that sharper minds than mine had turned up nothing.

Edit: Mods please rename thread to Mug Search 2014 - the Search For Preissless Treasure

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 13, 2014

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Change it to: Let's solve a 32 year old unsolved treasure hunt!

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Klauser posted:

Change it to: Let's solve a 32 year old unsolved treasure hunt!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just read James Renner's Boing Boing article. http://boingboing.net/2014/07/15/the-quest-to-find-12-hidden-tr.html He says that in the summer of 2014 he contacted Preiss's widow.

quote:

My first call was to Preiss’s widow and what she said got my heart racing again, the way I felt when I first saw that book in the Bedford library so many years ago. She had just seen the gems, again. They weren’t lost. As far as she was concerned, the game was still on!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah well who loving cares, the game really is designed to be played with a referee and he lost interest and died. I mean good luck to Renner and all that, but a lot of smart people have taken a crack at this and hit a wall.

Hey Xie, what stopped people at the Russian Hill site in SF?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 13, 2014

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Renner claims the gems are in play, despite a recent email from the artist denying knowledge. Renner was asked to re-confirm and did so. *shrug*

There's a version of the book recently on Amazon Kindle so nobody really knows the IP/legal side of things.

If there is someone asserting ownership of The Secret it wouldn't surprise me if they just bought some new gems, it's a pretty cheap investment. Or maybe she found them/saved them from the estate sale?

Either way you aren't getting one without a key since she claims to not have the solutions.

Edit: the artist probably knows a poo poo ton about this, but doesn't want to be bothered

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

xie posted:

Renner claims the gems are in play, despite a recent email from the artist denying knowledge. Renner was asked to re-confirm and did so. *shrug*
The artist would never have known where the gems were in the first place. He never had access to them. Preiss's wife conceivably would have, and if she says she still does, she's a credible source.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The artist would never have known where the gems were in the first place. He never had access to them. Preiss's wife conceivably would have, and if she says she still does, she's a credible source.

The more we learn (and I mean actually learn, not speculate about where they are) about how the images are hidden in the paintings, how many of them, etc. It's extremely likely that JJP knew the location of many of them, or could find them.

He had to know what specifically to include and what was important from the packet of pictures Preiss would send him. It's very likely that he knows or knew the solution to more than just Cleveland (which is a location he personally suggested, and was present for the burial of).

It's 110% a non issue though. JJP has said publicly that he doesn't know, and that he still considers himself under contract. I think he's just playing coy with everyone but am glad that he isn't revealing anything.

Cleveland is tough because he suggested it, but the more the image is picked apart, the more it becomes apparent that there aren't a ton of "useless" things in the image. The centaur's tail matches the curve in the road near the dig site. The hat matches a window seen from the dig site across the street, etc. I think because JJP was involved in this one that maybe it functions differently, or has some more stuff going on.

Inside an art museum near the Cleveland Casque there's a statue of a rider on a horse, and if you turned the rider into the centaur, the size, shape, and positioning is the same as the figure on top of the columns. This is a recent discovery and nobody knows for sure how it's related or if, but the paintings may likely contain more clues than we'll ever solve.

That's why ones like #12 are so frustrating. The image itself is so spartan.

xie fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 13, 2014

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

xie posted:

The more we learn (and I mean actually learn, not speculate about where they are) about how the images are hidden in the paintings, how many of them, etc. It's extremely likely that JJP knew the location of many of them, or could find them.

He had to know what specifically to include and what was important from the packet of pictures Preiss would send him. It's very likely that he knows or knew the solution to more than just Cleveland (which is a location he personally suggested, and was present for the burial of).
Aha! I think we're interpreting "the gems are still in play" differently. My read of the article is that Preiss's widow knows where the actual gems are, not where the casks are, and that if you gave her a key she'd give you the corresponding gem.

Edit: "She had just seen the gems, again. " She can't have seen the casks. That has to refer to the actual prizes.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Nope, we're on the same page. I don't think that anyone except JJP (the illustrator) knows where any are. I doubt they're the original gems but maybe she saved them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You might also consider that Cleveland was found because the image was so laden with accurate symbolism, and the other images aren't nearly as good.

I mean I found a lot of stuff that could be considered matches in Image 3, but the problem is none of it leads you to the spot. It's just "oh this looks like the arch in the picture, this area looks like a curve in the section of his armor." Great. Where's the cask? Which of these curves, circles, or lines represents something that you can see from the cask spot? For example, there's a motif in Image 3 that seems to repeat 4 times. That seems important. But I couldn't find anything like it anywhere. Same with the bumps on stuff on the armor. Yet there's nothing like that.

I really should go find my Image 3 breakdown. I just took the image completely apart, made silhouettes, all that stuff, to help me break out of the box and just look at pieces. Maybe somebody can do something with it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

It's possible. I think a lot of people feel Cleveland was probably the easiest of the remaining puzzles. Casque in a planter, hidden behind a wall, not a historic site or private property. While it's hard to remove hindsight from it the verse is super leading/straightforward and much less of a "path" than many of the others seem. Every single clue is bordering the treasure ground.

Though of course the "counting" steps about which stone and such don't work, it's never been known if they just didn't solve the verse or if Preiss screwed up.

But honestly Chicago is pretty clear as well. The buildings are hidden, but not completely obfuscated, and the fence/fixture is clear as day.

I think there are big & small things to find and I think the two (likely) easiest puzzles have already been solved. I think that in each one your best bet is to try and find the really big photo going on. In Boston I/we think it's standing at the Compass. In Cleveland it's standing in front of the pillars.

NY is the most difficult one from that method since it appears to have a Gargoyle from Ellis Island on it and a Church from Brooklyn... that isn't logically consistent!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2016

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Seriouspost:

This is why I consider this a pretty lousy treasure hunt. Preiss formulated it around some very fundamentally flawed mechanics, which is that you can't even begin to solve the puzzles until you're standing in the right general area. But the thing is, it's virtually impossible to determine where the right area is.

I live in the SF area. How the hell would I ever in a million years know that Image 6 corresponds to Florida? I have no frame of reference to determine this. And it would only be if I were standing in the right area -- in Florida -- that I could begin to tackle the imagery in order to located the correct, single square foot piece of soil to dig at.

I do wonder if Preiss did at least put that sort of larger clue that's needed to even get started; if each image doesn't have latitude/longitude or outlines of a state, because without that, there's almost no loving way someone's picking up a copy of the book in 1984 and tracking one of these down.

TL;DR: Preiss' puzzles are poo-poo

It's like he wrote them to be solved by internet crowd sourcing 30 years too early.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Here is some original research I've been working on in Boston that I can post. Do you see a similarity in the man's (stage left) left arm and the gypsy's arm and hand in Image #11?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The biggest two flaws of this treasure hunt is that there are too many ambiguous clues and that the last 5 - 10% you need to pin down the spot with accuracy is just not there in a lot of these verse/images, either due to time or poor design.

The first flaw means that a bunch of people get the wrong idea/interpret things the wrong way and get just enough matches to chase their tails and fall into the abyss.
The second flaw means that a bunch of people get 95% of the way there, think "oh I made it this far, I'm almost done" and then hit the wall, which I experienced myself. You get on site and see some stuff from the images but nothing that points you to where you need to dig. And the response of some of them is to drive themselves crazy or think they got it wrong and fall into the first group, or just think that there's still something there that can be interpreted and linked and analyzed and will lead to the location and start taking hundreds of pictures or w/e. And who knows, maybe they're right, maybe something will get found someday.

And then you have the Montreal cask, which is so incredibly difficult/obscure as to be a joke.

xie posted:

Here is some original research I've been working on in Boston that I can post. Do you see a similarity in the man's (stage left) left arm and the gypsy's arm and hand in Image #11?

I do, but I feel if that is a clue, she would have the same pose as the statue in her other arm too. I mean, Image 7 has a statue in it and the pose is exact, Cleveland you said if you change the rider to centaur the pose is exact, bowman in the Chicago image...just going on what we know.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 13, 2014

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 23, 2016

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I do, but I feel if that is a clue, she would have the same pose as the statue in her other arm too. I mean, Image 7 has a statue in it and the pose is exact, Cleveland you said if you change the rider to centaur the pose is exact, bowman in the Chicago image...just going on what we know.

This is a statue located at the DCR Memorial Hatch shell on the Esplanade, if that helps. :)

There is some artistic license, and it's also very possible the other arm is another clue. Big honking statue poses can't be ignored.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The biggest two flaws of this treasure hunt is that there are too many ambiguous clues and that the last 5 - 10% you need to pin down the spot with accuracy is just not there in a lot of these verse/images, either due to time or poor design.

The first flaw means that a bunch of people get the wrong idea/interpret things the wrong way and get just enough matches to chase their tails and fall into the abyss.
The second flaw means that a bunch of people get 95% of the way there, think "oh I made it this far, I'm almost done" and then hit the wall, which I experienced myself. You get on site and see some stuff from the images but nothing that points you to where you need to dig. And the response of some of them is to drive themselves crazy or think they got it wrong and fall into the first group, or just think that there's still something there that can be interpreted and linked and analyzed and will lead to the location and start taking hundreds of pictures or w/e. And who knows, maybe they're right, maybe something will get found someday.

And then you have the Montreal cask, which is so incredibly difficult/obscure as to be a joke.

Well at least with montreal we have a p good consensus that its within a square block (in a completely renovated park so yeahhhh)

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Do any photos of the actual book exist? GIS is coming up with nothing.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bruiser posted:

what is this autistic gbs 1.0 horseshit lol
where would you suggest they move it? the closest subforum match i can think of is Trad. Games

i can't stay awake through all the dry analysis but i bookmarked it before the GBSoween apocalypse cause i still want to see what happens

xie
Jul 29, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

I own a copy, but there's a high res scan floating around the Internet, PM me and I can send it. It's OCR PDF so you can search and copy/paste.

The Statue by the hatch was a big find for me, I'm going to go down there this weekend...

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

xie posted:

I own a copy, but there's a high res scan floating around the Internet, PM me and I can send it. It's OCR PDF so you can search and copy/paste.

The Statue by the hatch was a big find for me, I'm going to go down there this weekend...

Oddly enough I noticed that statue too when I was there on Wednesday, here's my lovely cell phone pic of it:

And here is a photo of a hand from a nearby statue that I thought looked like the other hand, but now I don't really think that's the case:

And I assume these are the benches you're talking about?

I am starting to think I'm fitting the clues to the painting to the park rather than matching clues to more obvious details, and I'm leaning in the direction that the painting isn't for Boston.

In any case I was going back to the esplanade today with a DSLR, so if you want photos of anything let me know.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Those are the benches but that's not the correct photo depicted in the image. They're known as the Shurcliff Benches and not all of them were there in 1981.

Yes, I'll PM you. I'm confident that it's not only Boston, but that park. No doubt in my mind. I don't really need pictures by the hatch shell, but a different area. If you can't do it that's fine, I'll be there this weekend.

I was convinced before I found the statue based on everything else, but I'm positive now after the statue. That's how these puzzles work. Match statues and poo poo. We may or may not find one for the other arm but it doesn't matter. There are FAR too many clues that point to Boston (BPL, Revere) and the Esplanade.

I don't mean to be rude but strolling through the park a few times and taking a photo (which is a match to something in the painting??) next to a landmark depicted in the painting how do you come up with "it's probably not Boston."

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

xie posted:

I don't mean to be rude but strolling through the park a few times and taking a photo (which is a match to something in the painting??) next to a landmark depicted in the painting how do you come up with "it's probably not Boston."

Because, as others have pointed out, I am not at all convinced that the Hatch Shell is even depicted in the painting. Also the statue pose is really just the one hand, and the pose isn't so unique that it couldn't turn up in another statue somewhere else. If he were holding a box it would be a much stronger connection.

I am going along with the Boston theories mostly because I would love for it to be Boston and to see a solution to one of these puzzles. Honestly though a lot of these matches are very tenuous and there is nothing unquestionably Boston related in the painting (the verse does have a direct link on the other hand). If we could find an outline of the customs house or state house or something unmistakable I'd feel a lot better about it.

That said, I live in Boston and I'm not flying to San Francisco or Montreal to solve those puzzles so I will work this one like it is in Boston. I am just going in with my eyes open.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I live in the SF area. How the hell would I ever in a million years know that Image 6 corresponds to Florida? I have no frame of reference to determine this. And it would only be if I were standing in the right area -- in Florida -- that I could begin to tackle the imagery in order to located the correct, single square foot piece of soil to dig at.

Didn't someone say that his idea is that people would be able to identify the general locations and then people living in those areas should be able to solve them "relatively easily"? I dont' think he meant for one person to be able to easily figure out and solve them all, just that people who lived in the area would recognize images and poo poo and figure it out. What makes it bad is that the clues are so vague that even people living in those areas can't figure out wtf

Also if the artist knows where this poo poo is and doesn't leave an answer key for everyone when he dies then he's a dick. A dead one, but still a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ExtraNoise posted:

I was going to say just buy one from Amazon but they're up to over $60 used :stare: I really should have bought a few extra copies when they were $4 each over the summer.