Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i have a lucky goldstar tv i bought from my roommate for $150 in 2012 and a roku. one of the hdmi inputs stopped working but who gives a poo poo, needs are fuckin' suited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

they'll just start making media for people who will buy, watch ad impressions.

which is what they do

every 5 years

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
rip panasonic plasma tvs

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pagancow posted:

they'll just start making media for people who will buy, watch ad impressions.

this has always been the case and will not magically stop being the case if everyone stopped pirating movies

if everyone stopped pirating media here is what would happen:

1) media companies make a bunch more money
2) that's it there is no (2)

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Blackula69 posted:

rip pioneer plasma tvs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
maybe advertisers should be better at not pissing off their viewers with their lovely ads featuring alarm clock sounds and police sirens and hoovering up 1/3 of the runtime of any block of programming

maybe marketing would be more effective if they spent that cash sending out free product to random/selected potential customers instead of bombarding our eyeballs and earballs with motion color garbage

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

rotor posted:

you know I had the exact same issues with media in the 80s as I do now and nobody was pirating movies then so this line of reasoning sucks poo poo, imho

at least in the 80s, ads weren't a vector for malware

advertisers, please make sure your ads aren't actively trying to ruin my computer

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

rotor posted:

you know I had the exact same issues with media in the 80s as I do now and nobody was pirating movies then so this line of reasoning sucks poo poo, imho
VCR's ruined cinema

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
But actually TV is way better now than it was 20 years ago and people are pirating poo poo left and right so if we rightly assume that correlation = causation, piracy leads to pretty good TV.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Blackula69 posted:

rip panasonic plasma tvs

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pagancow posted:

"FIREFLY WAS SUCH A GOOD SHOWWWWW WHY WAS IT CANCELED???"

*pirates everything*

the cherry on a poo poo sundae of bad posts. when it aired broadband penetration was 12%, bit torrent was barely a year old, and fox showed the show out of order

but yeah pirating was the issue

(ive never seen firefly. i dont even own a firefly)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Enderzero posted:

the cherry on a poo poo sundae of bad posts. when it aired broadband penetration was 12%, bit torrent was barely a year old, and fox showed the show out of order

but yeah pirating was the issue

(ive never seen firefly. i dont even own a firefly)

fox slotted it on friday nights aka the death spot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fox slotted it on friday nights aka the death spot

it was no twin peaks, that's for sure

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

twin peaks is still the best thing to have been on tv

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
um i think you mean that episode of family matters where carl winslow & steve urkel go back in time to a pirate ship

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tiny Bug Child posted:

every time adblock comes up some pearl-clutcher appears to remind us, oh god, won't someone please think of the poor multinational media conglomerates

coincidentally, it's always the same person!

pagancow, you are a tedious, lazy poo poo. go away forever, please.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

maybe advertisers should be better at not pissing off their viewers with their lovely ads featuring alarm clock sounds and police sirens and hoovering up 1/3 of the runtime of any block of programming

maybe marketing would be more effective if they spent that cash sending out free product to random/selected potential customers instead of bombarding our eyeballs and earballs with motion color garbage

and while they are at it companies should make good things people want and need instead of cheap plastic poo poo from china

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
am I allowed to use my TiVo to skip ads in the pagancow universe or will my shows be cancelled?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

am I allowed to use my TiVo to skip ads in the pagancow universe or will my shows be cancelled?

it'll be cancelled. he's been pretty clear on that

if you don't suck the advertiser's dick hard enough tinkerbell will die

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

pagancow this thread is about how bad smart tvs are not how bad you are

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol forever at whiteknighting ISPs and multinational advertisers

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

rotor posted:

as a fan of old twin peaks are you excited for new twin peaks

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

atv3 literally battles freedom

nah it's fine it's actually really good if you trick it into thinking you are in USA USA USA *rhythmic chant* it owns cos you get access to other apps most which you can't use because AMERICAN CABLE COMPANIES :woop:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

it's ok to creep on her 18 year old character because the actress was like 25

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Phoning It In posted:

um i think you mean that episode of family matters where carl winslow & steve urkel go back in time to a pirate ship

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also that thing where the actuall programming is quieter than the ads so you can hear it when you get it up to make a sandwich during the commercials

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PuTTY riot posted:

also that thing where the actuall programming is quieter than the ads so you can hear it when you get it up to make a sandwich during the commercials

my dad who produces tv advertising absolutely lost his poo poo when cable tv started airing ads

that was the thing i remember him screaming about a lot b/c it's supposed to be illegal or something

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my dad who produces tv advertising absolutely lost his poo poo when cable tv started airing ads

that was the thing i remember him screaming about a lot b/c it's supposed to be illegal or something

yeah i think there was a recent settlement

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Q: Does the FCC currently regulate loud commercials?
A: Yes. The Commission adopted rules on December 13, 2011 that require commercials to have the same average volume as the programs they accompany. The rules became effective on December 13, 2012, one year after the date of their adoption. Broadcast television stations and pay TV providers were given until this date to be in full compliance.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/loud-commercials

its claled the CALM act

Specifically, the CALM Act directs the Commission to establish rules that require TV stations, cable operators, satellite TV providers or other multichannel video program distributors (MVPDs) to apply the Advanced Television Systems Committee's (ATSC) A/85 Recommended Practice ("ATSC A/85 RP") to commercial advertisements they transmit to viewers.

http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php/component/content/article/195

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

nah it's fine it's actually really good if you trick it into thinking you are in USA USA USA *rhythmic chant* it owns cos you get access to other apps most which you can't use because AMERICAN CABLE COMPANIES :woop:

im in the EU and mine has all those bullshit american sports apps that idgaf about. the only apps i ever use on it are the store and music apps, and netflix before i canceled my subscription

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
it also has a dedicated anime app somehow

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

it'll be cancelled. he's been pretty clear on that

if you don't suck the advertiser's dick hard enough tinkerbell will die

lol you guys still dont get it

if you aren't part of the revenue stream, why should anybody cater to you?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

"oh no i want these high quality tv shows, but don't want to participate in the revenue stream to finance it! Now they make shows for those who do participate in the revenue stream! waaaaa why wont they make shows for me!??!?"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

pagancow posted:

b/c viewers are the product not the customer

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

why can't people lose money so I can be entertained?!?!?!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

maybe you don't get it. we understand that, you're not dropping some fresh science on us here

and nobody gives a gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

b/c viewers are the product not the customer

also this.

viewers are the product, the advertisers are the customer.

pagancow, you work in the ad industry, you know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

also this.

viewers are the product, the advertisers are the customer.

pagancow, you work in the ad industry, you know this

Yeah but you watching the ads indirectly funds a show. Show Popularity commands a higher price.

Viewers of a show only matters if you think you can Milk a movie out of it since people still go pay for movies every once and a while

• Locked thread