Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think the main use of new principles/moves is to alter the assumed setting. Like the supplement Dark Heart of the Dreamer is about fantasy colonialism and globalization and adds some new principles about say, giving every entity the players encounter personhood, or a new move about revealing how artifacts relate to the culture that made them. Notice that AW and DW basically have the same principles, but only one tells you to barf forth apocalyptica.

E: Dark Heart does add a good general purpose GM move to the effect of: when the players encounter a disease, temptation, or corruption, have them draw a five box countdown. Each time they're exposed to it, fill in one box. When all five are filled in, it happens. If they ask for a way out, tell them.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
So, here's something I'm working on again: Lands of the Dead Location Creation quick rules. and a Location Template

I thought getting something in a laid out presentable state beyond a Google Doc will help inspire me to get more done and present it to people and get them to give it a go. So please feel free to take these rules out for a spin.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of working on stuff: first draft of Conflagrant complete - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0AfkBZr_YueWjQxMUctRXlING8/view?usp=sharing

The only thing I've been stumped on is bonds. As a gameplay concept, they still kind of throw me off so I'm not very good at making them.

Spark is supposed to be "easy come, easy go" so there are no advanced moves that let you default out to more or horde more. I moved Prometheus (renamed Kindred of Flame) to an advanced move and the more offensive World on Fire to a starting move to give the player some stronger offensive options right off the bat besides spending their 1 Spark on Fire Breathing.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

madadric posted:

So, here's something I'm working on again: Lands of the Dead Location Creation quick rules. and a Location Template

I thought getting something in a laid out presentable state beyond a Google Doc will help inspire me to get more done and present it to people and get them to give it a go. So please feel free to take these rules out for a spin.

This is so cool. I'm such a fan of your locations!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 9, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So a while back I posted my second version of The Bonded playbook. Since then I've been play testing it on this forum in a pbp and have been getting some pretty good feedback for version 3.

I would like to present my work thus far to you now. The Bonded V.3

The main aim of the class to to have a cool monster buddy. However in comparison to V2 which was all about the personal horror of the Wyrd energy. This version plays more on a the relationship between man and monster, and gives the Bonded more to do. The monster will have a weakness, and an urge that must be kept in mind. Limiting its previously unstoppable nature. I'm still working on the Monster bits themselves, but the monster traits won't change too much. I'm dropping the Monster type, focusing more on the Pact between the Bonded and their Monster.

The other thing is that Monsters are not subtle and the mechanics of the Things Are Getting Wyrd move represent this pretty well I think.

So any thoughts or feeback, anything I can do to improve what I've got here. I'm pretty happy with it as it stands, less sure on the 6-10 advanced moves, and I'll post the Monster parts once I've written that up in a word doc.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pun-based game design is the best.

Speaking of which, I'm going to work on a supplement-supplement for Mounted Combat called Mêlées On Wheels, to address the quite valid complaint that the original didn't have enough vehicles. So, it's a book of vehicles. Got a vehicle to suggest? I'm all ears. (Dwarven tanks fuelled by alcohol and motorcycles already included.)

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Make the tracks on the tanks extend into chainsaws

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Speaking of which, I'm going to work on a supplement-supplement for Mounted Combat called Mêlées On Wheels, to address the quite valid complaint that the original didn't have enough vehicles. So, it's a book of vehicles. Got a vehicle to suggest? I'm all ears. (Dwarven tanks fuelled by alcohol and motorcycles already included.)

War animals (Bears, Elephants, giant Corgis, etc.), magically levitating boards, Da Vinci's flying screw

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Look at any sort of clockpunk or steampunk inspiration. Gnomish machines. Some boats and warships?

Beer-fueled Dwarf powersuits. Beerpunk, if you will.

Fake edit: a flying carpet? Would that count?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I feel stupid for not making a flying carpet already now. In it goes.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Nod Subterranean APC, but with gnomes.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Inverse world has that! And a Gnome made Inverse World!

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Welp, guess I'm buying a copy of Inverse World even though I have no intention of running it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Only thing I notice that I hadn't commented on before is the overlap between Man Behind the Monster and the Channeling trait. They work different but in the end do the same thing.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Generic Octopus posted:

Only thing I notice that I hadn't commented on before is the overlap between Man Behind the Monster and the Channeling trait. They work different but in the end do the same thing.

Yes, the channelling trait is being replaced with the Man Behind The Monster move. I'll also be pruning the Trait list a little bit now there's not separate lists for the types.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rulebook Heavily posted:

this.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Xelkelvos posted:

War animals (Bears, Elephants, giant Corgis, etc.), magically levitating boards, Da Vinci's flying screw

So far Eberron is the only setting that has given me a gang of halfling barbarians riding into battle in a howdah on top of an angry triceratops. There's a huge gap in the market here.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

potatocubed posted:

So far Eberron is the only setting that has given me a gang of halfling barbarians riding into battle in a howdah on top of an angry triceratops. There's a huge gap in the market here.

Man, I should have looked more into playing Eberron.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

potatocubed posted:

Well you can already do that in Dungeon World: Mounted Combat, that's all in there. All of this:

Xelkelvos posted:

Is in there already except for the hoverboards.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what about this

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Newbie here during my first read-through of the playbook, and I had a few questions:

1) Rotes/Cantrips: Do you have to roll for these? Are they single use before you commune/prepare again?

2) The way I interpreted the Wizard at Level 1 is that you get to pick three L1 spells in your spell book, but can only prepare 2 initially?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

ScaerCroe posted:

Newbie here during my first read-through of the playbook, and I had a few questions:

1) Rotes/Cantrips: Do you have to roll for these? Are they single use before you commune/prepare again?

2) The way I interpreted the Wizard at Level 1 is that you get to pick three L1 spells in your spell book, but can only prepare 2 initially?

You cast rotes and cantrips as normal spells. They aren't single use unless you choose the option, "the spell is forgotten," just like any other spell.
You have the Spellbook/Preparation limits correct, with the exception that Cantrips do not count against you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Just consider rotes/cantrips level 0 freebie spells you get.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A guy is joining my group and wants to have a swarm of bees as his animal companion. Can anyone see any issues with using the basic Ranger rules and just reskinning the choices of animal on the list?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A guy is joining my group and wants to have a swarm of bees as his animal companion. Can anyone see any issues with using the basic Ranger rules and just reskinning the choices of animal on the list?
Reskinning stuff is great for DW. I say go for it.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Remind him to take Unnatural Ally later on for a swarm of dire bees.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Reskinning is no problem, I was just wondering if the part where they're a swarm might be an issue, but I doubt it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

No, but it's mandatory that the ranger wears the hive as a hat

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Nah, it should be around his arm like megaman's gun.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

slydingdoor posted:

Nah, it should be around his arm like megaman's gun.

You're both wrong.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'm running a one shot for three people, two of whom have never played a RPG before. Anyone know of any free ones online that are particularly good for new players? They're both creative enough, but neither were even aware that roleplaying games beyond D&D existed before I told them about Dungeon World, so something with a strong sense of direction would be good. Though I suppose me/the other experienced player could urge them on a bit if needed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I'm running a one shot for three people, two of whom have never played a RPG before. Anyone know of any free ones online that are particularly good for new players? They're both creative enough, but neither were even aware that roleplaying games beyond D&D existed before I told them about Dungeon World, so something with a strong sense of direction would be good. Though I suppose me/the other experienced player could urge them on a bit if needed.

Seriously play Dungeon World.
The full rules are online for free, all you'd need to run it is a few printouts, and they don't even need to have read the text to be able to play (just emphasize "Just do what your character wold do, I'll tell you when to roll and how, don't worry")

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for really, really simple games there are simpler ones than Dungeon World too. It's not the end all be all intro to roleplaying 101 game. Look up Lasers and Feelings or Everyone is John or All Outta Bubblegum, they are all fun simple games I have played recently.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Still looking for feedback on The 3rd version of the Bonded guys. I really want to make this the strongest and final version, so I'm really looking for anything you can give me.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Seriously play Dungeon World.
The full rules are online for free, all you'd need to run it is a few printouts, and they don't even need to have read the text to be able to play (just emphasize "Just do what your character wold do, I'll tell you when to roll and how, don't worry")

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, but to clarify I'm specifically running Dungeon World for some people and I am asking for a good one-shot adventure available free online.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 14, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, but to clarify I'm specially running Dungeon World for some people and I am asking for a good one-shot adventure available free online.

Oh, my bad.
One Page Dungeons aren't specifically Dungeon World related, but serve as excellent adventure seeds regardless of system.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, but to clarify I'm specifically running Dungeon World for some people and I am asking for a good one-shot adventure available free online.

Joe Banner writes adventures for Dungeon World and releases them for free, thanks to his Patreon. He's released new ones each month, so there's plenty to choose from.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the replies, that should give me plenty to work with. I'm terrible at planning scenarios that can end in one session (plus my usual players love causing additional problems during the process of solving whatever one is an immediate concern), so these will be very helpful.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A little late, but there's also Dungeon Starters, which are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Look up Lasers and Feelings

I love L&F, its just so brutally simple. And yet I can still see the core of Apoc Engine from which it was carved out of.