Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Same, but I say 'at least it isn't games or fx'

And YOUR industry is on my "What to look into once I burn out on the games industry" list. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost
There are companies out there in VFX land that do treat you well, even if you have to work long hours.

I did some long weeks at Weta, but generally felt respected, appreciated, well paid and treated like an Adult.

It didn't feel like an abusive relationship and no-one ever demanded I work late.

I was just having a lot of fun and was being paid by the hour + OT + Food.

Once we shipped we made up for it by taking 6 week vacations, going skiing Thursday - Tuesday for most of the winter and throwing awesome parties.

Your mileage, may of course, vary.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sounds like a dream job. Then again, it is WETA. It is to VFX students what Disney and Pixar are to animation students.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That sounds awesome forelle. Did you move away from NZ or did you stay?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, and what Valve is for video game developers. Outliers and exceptions, unfortunately.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

That sounds awesome forelle. Did you move away from NZ or did you stay?

I moved away. Not because I didn't love NZ and Weta but for an opportunity that I couldn't turn down.

I'd still be there otherwise.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wellington isn't exactly an exciting town either..If you're into outdoors stuff, it's great, otherwise it kinda sucks. (With the little spare time that you have).
Also going anywhere relevant abroad is at least a 12 hour flight.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Ccs posted:

Student reel. He's on his first MPC project right now so none of that stuff can be released on a demo reel yet.

That's a great student reel. Hopefully he gets something juicy for his reel out of MPC and gets a better gig out of it because MPC has a pretty horrid reputation.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

forelle posted:

There are companies out there in VFX land that do treat you well, even if you have to work long hours.

I did some long weeks at Weta, but generally felt respected, appreciated, well paid and treated like an Adult.

It didn't feel like an abusive relationship and no-one ever demanded I work late.

I was just having a lot of fun and was being paid by the hour + OT + Food.

Once we shipped we made up for it by taking 6 week vacations, going skiing Thursday - Tuesday for most of the winter and throwing awesome parties.

Your mileage, may of course, vary.

Yeah that is the thing if you get a good tier A studio to work for, you'll get paid OT, sometimes double time, OT food that isn't pizza and fast food, and treated as an adult. The OT thing would automatically disqualify the UK studios, but the Canadian branches do pay OT.

Speaking of which, I guess the BC labor board slapped down a few companies in Vancouver, since I'm not seeing that 10 hour OT nonsense anymore. I took a contract here and it was the same deal as it was in California. OT after 8 hours, not 10 and no job misclassification.

I heard MPC was forced to obey that in BC and their response was to cut everyone pay rates. If that's true... :v:

Best gig for a student would be either Dreamworks or Disney Animation, they have great apprentice programs and because of guild payscales, you roll in as a junior at about 70k a year. (Same with any other TAG job so if you can get a gig at the various toon studios at Cartoon Networks, Nick, Paramount, WB, etc)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Speaking of which, Big K. You said you've bit the bullet a few months/weeks back and decided to move to Canada. Where are you located now if it's not too indiscreet?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Big K of Justice posted:

I heard MPC was forced to obey that in BC and their response was to cut everyone pay rates. If that's true... :v:

It is true. They went from 10hr days to 8 hours which resulted in everyone getting paid %20 less. A lot of people I know left them after that.

--

In other news Fusion is now free so I hope none of you bought nuke recently :v:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/fusion

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

keyframe posted:

It is true. They went from 10hr days to 8 hours which resulted in everyone getting paid %20 less. A lot of people I know left them after that.

--

In other news Fusion is now free so I hope none of you bought nuke recently :v:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/ca/products/fusion

Could always download the free version of Nuke instead.

(The silly working hours requirement has been removed)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've been jonesing to get into a better/different compositing platform than AE. Gonna look at Fusion and Nuke. Are there any learning resources out there for people coming from AE?

edit: Not super in depth, but it looks like BMD has their own little intro page that even has a video for folks coming from AE.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/training

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 10, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The first video tutorial you need to watch is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USS84b1iUp4
It's short and shows exactly why fusion or nuke are great.

They have a bunch of tutorials on their youtube page that go over specific features, although you may need to dig a little. not translation specific but they're good https://www.youtube.com/user/eyeonsoftware/videos

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

forelle posted:

Could always download the free version of Nuke instead.

(The silly working hours requirement has been removed)

Could, but I won't be able to use it commercially like I could with Fusion. Davinci and Fusion are pretty much unbeatable for personal/freelance work.

Still looking forward to the non commercial nuke so I can practice it at home though.:)

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Speaking of which, Big K. You said you've bit the bullet a few months/weeks back and decided to move to Canada. Where are you located now if it's not too indiscreet?

I'm in Vancouver for now, I had a few options, back to Toronto, go to Montreal [ :barf: ] or Vancouver. Never been to Vancouver and its only a contract, if I hate it I'll head back to California. It's good so far, I like it better than the Bay Area.

Sucks to have to pay bills in two countries, that and its a random VFX reunion every time I walk around Yaletown, I keep bumping into ex-coworkers from LA area who are also up here now.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Oh cool man, glad to know you like the new place! If you were in Montreal I would've had a few places I could recommend if you were still looking around nice places to go to.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

The first video tutorial you need to watch is this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USS84b1iUp4
It's short and shows exactly why fusion or nuke are great.

They have a bunch of tutorials on their youtube page that go over specific features, although you may need to dig a little. not translation specific but they're good https://www.youtube.com/user/eyeonsoftware/videos

I love how the 3D space is wayyy better than AE's. Although that title is weirdly misleading.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
yeah it is a poo poo title.
If you've got any specific questions about fusion/things you're trying to achieve give me a shout, I should be able to help out.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

cubicle gangster posted:

yeah it is a poo poo title.
If you've got any specific questions about fusion/things you're trying to achieve give me a shout, I should be able to help out.

Do you know much about python scripting in fusion?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
nope, sorry - a guy in our NY office does all scripting and wrote our network render tools (is that even python? idk)
Expressions are about as far as I can go into coding.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
No worries. Wanted to write a script that automatically colors all the file in and merge nodes in the scene to a certain color but I can't figure out how scripting works in Fusion. Console doesn't seem to have an option to echo commands and the manual is super barebones.

Do you know if Fusion has something similar to the shuffle node in Nuke? I made a EXR still render to test it out with diffuse/shadow/reflection/ao/etc and it seems you go in to the channel tab and you can set r/g/b there to whatever channel but I was wondering if there is a node that does this like the shuffle node so I won't have to keep duplicating the file in node all over the place and keep changing it's channels.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

No worries. Wanted to write a script that automatically colors all the file in and merge nodes in the scene to a certain color but I can't figure out how scripting works in Fusion. Console doesn't seem to have an option to echo commands and the manual is super barebones.

Do you know if Fusion has something similar to the shuffle node in Nuke? I made a EXR still render to test it out with diffuse/shadow/reflection/ao/etc and it seems you go in to the channel tab and you can set r/g/b there to whatever channel but I was wondering if there is a node that does this like the shuffle node so I won't have to keep duplicating the file in node all over the place and keep changing it's channels.

It's called channel boolean in fusion, or it used to be?
Been a while since I used fusion

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Blender noob here. I'm trying to render a milled metal object in anisotropic shading. Here is my result.

As you can see, the shading isn't quite centered on the hole in the middle of the object. How can I shift it there?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

SynthOrange posted:

If you place the loops using the zremesh curves tool you can get close to it though. And in a rush job where there's a ton of stuff with simple animations, it'll do.

Not for hero animations though.

Anyone have a great tut for zremeshing a character? Trying to avoid spirals but without an exact map for laying down zremesher guides, it is a problem.

Here is an update on that monowheel.
Not quite done yet but C & C welcome.

Original scan here: https://imgur.com/czGp7bU

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 12, 2014

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dunno if anyone here does rigging but this just came out at SIGGRAPH Asia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOwwNvHA1w

Between this and the delta-mush plugins that people are developing based on Rhythm and Hues rigging solutions (Naughty Dog already made one for their pipeline) this might be the end of skin weighting. A lot of entry level rigging position eliminated. Nice for people making short films on their own though.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ccs posted:

Dunno if anyone here does rigging but this just came out at SIGGRAPH Asia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOwwNvHA1w

Between this and the delta-mush plugins that people are developing based on Rhythm and Hues rigging solutions (Naughty Dog already made one for their pipeline) this might be the end of skin weighting. A lot of entry level rigging position eliminated. Nice for people making short films on their own though.

There is always a ton of manual skin weighting that needs to be done, especially anytime there are buckles, wraps, clothes, hair, dangling accessories in general... You get the idea.

This is also why its so funny that Autodesk will implement new voxel binding / dual quaternion / heatmap poo poo, but then not update the loving poo poo painting tools to be half decent.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

After doing a bunch of rigging at R+H a few years ago, the trade off is you do much more up front rigging than weight painting.

Houdini has the same workflow with capture regions but R+H voodoo's deformers are the tits. Some of the fastest deformers I've seen in any package but on the other hand the rigs tended to be more heavy.

Actually scratch that.. the heaviest rigs I've ever seen were at ILM.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Wish I had a dollar for everytime someone said "so and so tool is totally going to kill _____ jobs"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

Wish I had a dollar for everytime someone said "so and so tool is totally going to kill _____ jobs"

Or for every amazing video that comes out of SIGGRAPH that ultimately ends up going nowhere.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
always makes me laugh that. every new photoshop feature, every slightly easier render engine like maxwell or octane. if an automated tool is going to put you out of a job you need to have a good look at how much effort you're putting in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Anyone have a great tut for zremeshing a character? Trying to avoid spirals but without an exact map for laying down zremesher guides, it is a problem.

Here is an update on that monowheel.
Not quite done yet but C & C welcome.

Original scan here: https://imgur.com/czGp7bU

Quick question about AgiSoft's PhotoScan that you might help me with.

I did a scan of that turkey decoy which ended up really cool except for two things. The sparse point cloud looked very representative of the decoy but the dense cloud had some differences.

A.) The nose was cut off. The bounding box, for some reason, sliced it off even though it was big enough in the sparse cloud portion. The FBX export sort of filled in the gap a little, but it missed out on some important detail.

B.) It looks like the tail was mostly filled in, but the exported FBX shows that the only detail really preserved in the tail was the portion that was supported by the plastic supports in the back.

Any tips on making it better from any of you guys?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

A. You can adjust the bounding box and then rebuild the dense cloud and mesh. The bounding box won't move once you manually adjust it.
B. Did the mesh in agisoft look like it was missing most of that tail as well? Make sure you're generating a mesh in Agisoft after generating a dense cloud and that you're generating the mesh with the setting to generate based on the dense cloud, not the sparse cloud. Really thin and spindly bits, like hairs, tend to do that sort of thing, but based on the screenshot of your cloud, I would only expect to see holes or poor mesh at the base/under side of the turkey and the tips of the tail where there are very few points.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 13, 2014

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Gearman posted:

A. You can adjust the bounding box and then rebuild the dense cloud and mesh. The bounding box won't move once you manually adjust it.
B. Did the mesh in agisoft look like it was missing most of that tail as well? Make sure you're generating a mesh in Agisoft after generating a dense cloud and that you're generating the mesh with the setting to generate based on the dense cloud, not the sparse cloud. Really thin and spindly bits, like hairs, tend to do that sort of thing, but based on the screenshot of your cloud, I would only expect to see holes or poor mesh at the base/under side of the turkey and the tips of the tail where there are very few points.

Gah it's gonna take 8 hours to rebuild the dense cloud. Why would it even move the bounding box when it was clearly correctly placed in the sparse cloud? Very annoying.

As for the mesh, yeah it's generated from the dense cloud. You can even see the dense cloud tail in the background of the "nose sliced off" shot. While not perfect, it's clearly showing more data than is present in the final mesh.

I mean it's not a super huge deal since that part is really easily redone in Maya, but still.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

always makes me laugh that. every new photoshop feature, every slightly easier render engine like maxwell or octane. if an automated tool is going to put you out of a job you need to have a good look at how much effort you're putting in.

or you are smart enough to still be getting paid for poo poo that is easily automated. it's ok it you've got an exit strategy

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Huzzah. I've finally managed to put my normal map on my low poly without seams. That took way too long.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

echinopsis posted:

or you are smart enough to still be getting paid for poo poo that is easily automated. it's ok it you've got an exit strategy

Doing that kind of work is basically grueling disgusting work that makes you lose the will to work in the industry. We had terrible workflow problems back at an old job and some guys were basically doing lightmap uv's for weeks on end.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Irony, and all that

although I'm thankful for the anecdote. interesting

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
yeah i'd loose the will to live. I need new challenges constantly.

and gently caress those guys, they deserve to be out of a job. I've worked with guys like that before who made a continuous effort to give themselves less responsibility and an easier ride at the expense of everyone else and they're a nightmare to work with.
There was a guy at the first studio I worked at who would find/buy scripts, install them on his machine and let everyone know if they wanted that particular task doing they could come to him. he was trying to make his job 'man who runs scripts'. such a cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

yeah i'd loose the will to live. I need new challenges constantly.

and gently caress those guys, they deserve to be out of a job. I've worked with guys like that before who made a continuous effort to give themselves less responsibility and an easier ride at the expense of everyone else and they're a nightmare to work with.
There was a guy at the first studio I worked at who would find/buy scripts, install them on his machine and let everyone know if they wanted that particular task doing they could come to him. he was trying to make his job 'man who runs scripts'. such a cock.

Hahaha, that's actually kind of funny when I imagine a good part of his paycheck was basically spent on his plugins and poo poo. I had a teacher back in the day that would basically try and change his curriculum every time a new piece of software would come out. one year it's all ''After Effects is really good guys!'' the next year it's ''Combustion is all the rage dudes! Don't lose any time with After Effects'' I think when I left he was finally all up in Nuke (for good reason too, although now he might be looking at Fusion, who knows).