Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
vvvvv

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

keyvin posted:

If you run Linux on a desktop and aren't in the third world: Why? Is it to pretend that it is still 1985?

it's the best desktop os

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:newlol:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

it's the best desktop os

for me to poop on

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
because you get better error diagnostics than "The parameter is incorrect"

and because you don't have to gently caress around on shady Chinese websites for a day to download drivers

linux is bad for the poo poo i do everything else is worse

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

keyvin posted:

If you run Linux on a desktop and aren't in the third world: Why? Is it to pretend that it is still 1985?
no, actually

it's to pretend that it's still 1995

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
one thing i noticed is that linux on the desktop users tend to pretend the rest of the computing world is still in 1995 just so they can feel better about their bad choices

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
because I'm bored and I want to see the freshest packages

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ruby idiot railed posted:

one thing i noticed is that linux on the desktop users tend to pretend the rest of the computing world is still in 1995 just so they can feel better about their bad choices

this is true

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just got GNOME/Firefox up and running after learning the new systemd thing (what was wrong with system V style scripts??)

fonts lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

tho i'll tbh this is way way better at scrolling screen content than wandows. buttery smooth.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

what was wrong with system V style scripts??

Where do I begin?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sounds like I don't really want to know

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

imagine your system service activation and monitoring system was arbitrarily complicated while simultaneously not capable of guaranteeing the service actually activated or monitoring that the service hasn't died on you unexpectedly

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

imagine your system service activation and monitoring system was arbitrarily complicated while simultaneously not capable of guaranteeing the service actually activated or monitoring that the service hasn't died on you unexpectedly

but according to unix philosophy, it does that above thing really well

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

keyvin posted:

its not that hard. my poo poo on windows breaks as much if not more than on linux. computers are bad everywhere.

linux at least doesnt have metro.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

neither does windows, if you're running the correct version

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

keyvin posted:

it's my job to write software for linux

this is pretty much the only reason anyone uses a linux desktop

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

what if you're a big nerd

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Silver Alicorn posted:

just got GNOME/Firefox up and running after learning the new systemd thing (what was wrong with system V style scripts??)

fonts lmao

systemd made a bunch of pointlessly inconsistent poo poo (such as "what do we call the file that stores the system hostname" and "where is the keymap configured") consistent across every Linux that uses it, which at this point is most of them

it also supervises system services in a manner that is slightly more sophisticated than "run a bash script to start this poo poo up and pollute it with your shell's environment variables and resource limits and god knows what else" and "run a bash script that reads a process id from a file and then send a signal to it, then hope that did the trick"

unsurprisingly the "greybeards" (as opposed to the "fanboys") think it's the Antichrist

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If Linux is so great, why does everyone I know dual boot it with OSX or Windows?

Raise your hand if your grub timeout is 0.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

keyvin posted:

If Linux is so great, why does everyone I know dual boot it with OSX or Windows?

me but my linuxes don't even remotely pretend to be a desktop os

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

IPvSH6T posted:

my poo poo on windows breaks as much if not more than on linux

lmao

ruby idiot railed posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

keyvin posted:

lol if u use a bootloader instead of just configuring your uefi firmware to boot the kernel directly

install your linux harder, scrub

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

lol if u use a bootloader instead of just configuring your uefi firmware to boot the kernel directly

install your linux harder, scrub

Don't you have to recompile the kernel if you want to change the command line?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
using linux on my desktop right now.... to compile linux kernels and such as i do that in my work

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

keyvin posted:

woah scrub detected

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I dual-boot with Windows 8 since the laptop I have got it installed by default and I wanted to investigate what our competitors were doing. I have not booted it into Windows since the day I got it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

keyvin posted:

nah EFI executables can have command lines, and you can store the default executable and its command line in motherboard nvram

(see efibootmgr)

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

I dual-boot with Windows 8 since the laptop I have got it installed by default and I wanted to investigate what our competitors were doing. I have not booted it into Windows since the day I got it.

good investigation then lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

neither does windows, if you're running the correct version

it is no longer possible to buy the correct version

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

good investigation then lol

I found all I needed to know.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

what if you're a big nerd

its this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok I'm bored w/ desktop linux already. only game I could get working was Europa Universalis IV

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok I'm bored w/ desktop linux already. only game I could get working was Europa Universalis IV

You should try nethack. Its really good. It is like the gormengast trilogy of video games, despite being one game.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
It was also the only game anyone had ever heard of on Linux until battle of wesnoth took off.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Silver Alicorn posted:

annnnnd this is why people dual-boot

linux for getting productive work done efficiently, and windows for playing games and other wastes of time

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

keyvin posted:

It was also the only game anyone had ever heard of on Linux until battle of wesnoth took off.

tuuuux racer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Soricidus posted:

linux for getting productive work done efficiently

lol