Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pagancow posted:

Yeah but you watching the ads indirectly funds a show. Show Popularity commands a higher price.

Viewers of a show only matters if you think you can Milk a movie out of it since people still go pay for movies every once and a while

sounds to me like advertisers need to get a whole lot better at providing their product b/c they been coastin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sounds to me like advertisers need to get a whole lot better at providing their product b/c they been coastin

advertising is a cool thing cause if it doesnt work nobody can prove it

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
must've just been a bad product i guess

apply directly to the forehead

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PuTTY riot posted:

advertising is a cool thing cause if it doesnt work nobody can prove it

actually, if you were to sell a smart TV you would put together focus groups first and show them the product before you dumped a ton of money into it. Once you determined that consumers want said product you scale your marketing budget accordingly from what you found out in those focus tests.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but no RARR MARKETING BAD!!! it just RUINS OUR CULTURE

*picks up iphone and plays ad supported mobile game*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

pagancow posted:

unironically this

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
I will subsist in high quality netflix originals

pagancow posted:

actually, if you were to sell a smart TV you would put together focus groups first and show them the product before you dumped a ton of money into it. Once you determined that consumers want said product you scale your marketing budget accordingly from what you found out in those focus tests.

well if this is true then how do they keep finding focus groups who like slow, lovely, smart tv UIs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The product isn't there a lot of times because they are done early due to the fact that it takes time to ship those things.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
cable tv has pandered to the lowest common denominator long before the internet. it may be worse now but only because the collective standards of the remaining stragglers have dropped. there were lovely tv shows on all the time in the 80s and 90s, but the really bad ones were forgotten or we learned to like them because nothing else was available.

it seems like there's a trend towards specialty networks producing good quality tv. hbo and showtime have been around for a while, but they're bigger than ever now. we also have amc, fx, and i'm sure there are others i'm forgetting.

there's still a demand for it and it shows. amc's revenue rose 31% last quarter.

we post in a nerd forum so our views on piracy are skewed. it's easy to assume most people are pirates when most people here likely are. when in reality it's much easier for your average game of thrones watcher to stream it legally vs. deal with sketchy public torrent sites and emails from their ISP.

goddamn it, i effort posted in yospos.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

pagancow posted:

the one with the ads on it you mean?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Version 2 or 3 might have the version 1 product there just to find out how to make it better if it initially sold well.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BANME.sh posted:

when in reality it's much easier for your average game of thrones watcher to stream it legally vs. deal with sketchy public torrent sites and emails from their ISP.

wait when did this become possible without an hbo subscription

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

wait when did this become possible without an hbo subscription

1/1/2015 iirc

and also sharing w/ ppl who do have hbo

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

pagancow posted:

Yeah but you watching the ads indirectly funds a show. Show Popularity commands a higher price.

Viewers of a show only matters if you think you can Milk a movie out of it since people still go pay for movies every once and a while

not just popularity, also it's target audience. wasnt star trek almost canceled until they found out that it was the only show that targeted the coveted single male engineer demographic?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PuTTY riot posted:

the one with the ads on it you mean?

Price was discussed in an earlier meeting and they said "yes I'd be willing to buy a 50" TV with all this engineering you're going to put into it for 500 and nothing more"

and then the Ads came in to help make it a reality because, god damnit you wouldn't pay any more

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
and pedophiles, obv

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

newreply.php posted:

not just popularity, also it's target audience. wasnt star trek almost canceled until they found out that it was the only show that targeted the coveted single male engineer demographic?

star trek is always on the brink of being canceled for some reason or another and yet it still keeps getting made.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

It probably helps that trekies love to pay for nerd poo poo, and there are other means of providing the show revenue to be produced.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

pagancow posted:

Price was discussed in an earlier meeting and they said "yes I'd be willing to buy a 50" TV with all this engineering you're going to put into it for 500 and nothing more"

and then the Ads came in to help make it a reality because, god damnit you wouldn't pay any more

then just sell me the same 50" 120hz tv you engineered 5 years ago, whats wrong with that one? why do we need new models every snigle year?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

newreply.php posted:

and pedophiles, obv
you already said single male engineers

and trek made money in the 1990s. at one point it was something like 60% of paramounts total revenue

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

idk consumer brain likes new things

"This TV only came out 4 months ago, it's so desirable!"

"You don't want that TV, it's last year's model!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PuTTY riot posted:

then just sell me the same 50" 120hz tv you engineered 5 years ago, whats wrong with that one? why do we need new models every snigle year?

'cause if you aren't growing you're dyin' son

c'mon this is capitalism 101

Hockeyman
Dec 19, 2003

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.

pagancow posted:

if you aren't part of the revenue stream, why should anybody cater to you?

pagancow posted:

"This TV only came out 4 months ago, it's so desirable!"

"You don't want that TV, it's last year's model!"

Why would companies cater to idiots that don't want to pay more than X for a "new" TV that is nearly identical to the previous year's TV?

Companies make new TVs every year because if the Board of Trustees doesn't get that sweet sweet dividend on the rising stock price then head's start to roll.

Gotta consume consume consume.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

pagancow posted:

well yes because of advertising, are you sure you understand how ads work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

lol you guys still dont get it

if you aren't part of the revenue stream, why should anybody cater to you?

because they should count themselves fuckin lucky to be born into a world where they are allowed to make poo poo for us to watch, and not into a Jewish household in 1930s Germany

they should count themselves lucky that we choose to watch their poo poo. getting paid to do what they do is a cherry on top they should be grateful for but instead they treat it as is their god drat birth right to get paid to produce the fuckin trash that they do

they're fuckin garbage men picking up old dog food cans and sticking them to a Burger King wrapper and calling it "media" and then having the arrogance to expect people to pay them for it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

pagancow posted:

yes. glad we agree. hopefully one day in the future we will look back on polluting every medium with advertising with as much shame as we look back on dumping tetraethyl lead across the entire planet today

but the corporations! how will they pay for it all! shrieks pagancow, causing nearby windows and wine glasses to shatter

gently caress them, i don't care if they don't make things i like. i'm not complaining about a dearth of things i like, i'm complaining about the ads. enough people make things i do like, for free, to entertain me in perpetuity. and if they didn't, well gently caress, maybe i'd just have to not be constantly entertained for five minutes of my life, which i guess in america is considered inhumane treatment

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

all I hear itt are a bunch of discontent voices that the most expensive media out there doesn't care about their entertainment desires.

TV and Film industries are doing quite financially well when not serving you.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

except for tbc becuse he gets his entertainment from the finest freely produced podcasts and youtubes.

until the advertisers get on board when they realize people with purchasing power are watching these shows.

oh wait, it's already happening lol http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/generation-like/

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DONT WATCH IT TBC. SOME ADS PLAY AND SULLY THE EXPERIENCE

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
advertising is cool because its completely unavoidable and teaches little girls that the onyl things that matter are being cute and getting boys to like u and pink barbie sparkle rainbow magic

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

PuTTY riot posted:

advertising is cool because its completely unavoidable and teaches little girls that the onyl things that matter are being cute and getting boys to like u and pink barbie sparkle rainbow magic

please don't make these unsupportable claims about advertising ruining culture. everyone knows it doesn't do that. heck, advertising doesn't even work on me, because i'm so smart and i know better.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i dont mind ads, they give you great little intermissions to go take a leak / get another beer / etc

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's ok to creep on her 18 year old character because the actress was like 25

Shelly was hotter imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pagancow I was watching ads on tv in the 80s and tv sucked and I'm not watching ads now and tv still sucks so all this free market bullshit you're saying is bullshit and I want you to stop saying it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

Shelly was hotter imo
there was a lot of loveliness to go around

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the idea that if we watch advertising then we will get shows we like is demonstrably false. stop saying it.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

rotor posted:

the idea that if we watch advertising then we will get shows we like is demonstrably false. stop saying it.

the just-world fallacy for marketers

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

rotor posted:

but piracy!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

rotor posted:

Just watching a show/movie isn't enough to guarantee more episodes/movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PuTTY riot posted:

but piracy!

There are many free ways to watch TV shows with your SMART TV that dont drive the show off air.

• Locked thread