Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
"Cool your tits grandad"

Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
"before the rise of Islam the middle east was a rich culture and after it was all barbarians!"

I'm glad the next comment called him out because that is literally the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard. It's basic fact that while everyone in Europe was making GBS threads in the streets and executing witches, Muslims were preserving everything we attempted to destroy with the Dark Ages.

Edit: Also, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has stopped being funny to everyone who's grown out of the "lol religion is dumb" stage of atheism.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I didn't read that entire massive wall of stuff but you should have pointed out Islam has been here pretty much as long as white people because of Muslim slaves from Africa.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also, Wikipedia has around 300 as the earliest evidence of christmas in december, where 3eid ul'aDHa and 3eid ulfiTr (seriously, gently caress romanizations of Arabic) are from the Qur'an, that is around 600, with 3eid ul'aDHa probably being an earlier tradition in the region, given that it's celebrating bloody Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son. So they're pretty close to each other in terms of when they were invented

3eid ul'aDHa is actually a tradition that should be embraced by Christians and Jews too, seeing as it celebrates an important event in all three religions. I want it to be an official holiday now too, and I'm not even religious.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

TrekBek posted:

"before the rise of Islam the middle east was a rich culture and after it was all barbarians!"

I'm glad the next comment called him out because that is literally the stupidest loving thing I've ever heard. It's basic fact that while everyone in Europe was making GBS threads in the streets and executing witches, Muslims were preserving everything we attempted to destroy with the Dark Ages.

I mean the Islamic Golden Age was great and all but there is a reason a lot of historians are trying to move away from the "dark age" classification. The sort of "Rome collapsed and then there was 500 years of everything being lovely" is essentially a myth and classifying "Europe" as an entire area with the same socioeconomic conditions during that period is about as accurate as doing the same thing for modern Africa.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I mean the Islamic Golden Age was great and all but there is a reason a lot of historians are trying to move away from the "dark age" classification. The sort of "Rome collapsed and then there was 500 years of everything being lovely" is essentially a myth and classifying "Europe" as an entire area with the same socioeconomic conditions during that period is about as accurate as doing the same thing for modern Africa.

So people will never stop doing it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Especially since the Roman Empire was still around.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A coworker (past June) was fired (teacher) for stuff posted on her Facebook regarding drinking and drug use. I think it was something along the lines of, "Can't wait for the weekend, get drunk and try and score some weed".

Honestly don't know why teachers still keep an open facebook page or "friend" students.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gimnbo posted:

So people will never stop doing it.

The dark age is a cool name, facts just can't compete with that.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Basically the idea of "the dark ages" is for people who unironically agree with this graph.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Basically the idea of "the dark ages" is for people who unironically agree with this graph.

:psyduck:

Is there a fresher on what "metrics" they used to create that graph?

I know there isn't. It's just pee pee doo doo no mom I don't want to go to church

sout
Apr 24, 2014

What unit are they using for scientific advancement? Atheiums?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Forget the dark ages, I want to know how the late Roman empire was contributing so much more "scientific advancement" so much faster than Greece ever did.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

If you're not on Facebook, the angels say you can gently caress right off.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Forget the dark ages, I want to know how the late Roman empire was contributing so much more "scientific advancement" so much faster than Greece ever did.

:hist101: Roma invictus!

Also I love how according to that graph the only advancements made in antiquity were done by the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans in that order. Persia obviously didn't do anything special, China was just some backwater the Romans traded with every once in a while and Carthage did nothing before its conquest by Rome. Also apparently the Eastern Roman Empire wasn't a thing that continued on until the conquest of the Ottomans.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I loved Sid Miers "Civilization" series of games as much as anyone, but I'm pretty sure "scientific advancement" isn't a single numerical value. Does he think all the libraries and observatories got sold for gold coins around 600 AD?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Stoatbringer posted:

The angels have mafia connections. It's over.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

letthereberock posted:

I loved Sid Miers "Civilization" series of games as much as anyone, but I'm pretty sure "scientific advancement" isn't a single numerical value. Does he think all the libraries and observatories got sold for gold coins around 600 AD?
Oh, so the y-axis unit is Blue Erlenmeyer Flasks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Science is loving great you guys let me show you with this graph *shits in hands, writes "gently caress GOD" on paper*

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

letthereberock posted:

And 1800 is when he starts popping his Great Scientists, causing an overflow error and rocketing Shaka Zulu all the way to Alpha Centauri, right?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fargo Fukes posted:

How partisan people are can change really, really quickly. Shia and Sunni and everyone else were all quite happy to live side by side under the same degree of oppression under Saddam Hussein but once he was gone they were sharpening knives and priming bombs so they didn't have to live next to those dirty others anymore. Now somewhere like Baghdad is a segregated community, whole districts have been purified and anyone who lived on the wrong side of the line was driven out or killed. You live and work with your tribe and the only interaction with the other is the occasional car bomb.

The USA of course doesn't need blunt old instruments like knives and bombs, you use soft, smart things like politics, taxes, suburbs and white flight. We surround ourselves with people who think like us and the only chinks in the armour are the occasional family member we haven't ostracised yet or Facebook schoolfriends from twenty years back who've landed on the other side of the fence. Until you block them too. There are direct, physical, meatworld causes for sectarianism and they have been getting stronger in the US as people gain more freedom to segregate themselves.

Uh,

No, Shia and Sunni were never, ever happy to live next to each other. The only reason they did for so long because they were more worried about Saddam than each other. This is why Bush Senior didn't want to remain in Iraq because he knew it'd become a power-keg that'd he have to constantly micro-manage.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stoatbringer posted:

Mike Trout and Jered Weaver will give trash cans of cash if you pass this on.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Blistex posted:

A coworker (past June) was fired (teacher) for stuff posted on her Facebook regarding drinking and drug use. I think it was something along the lines of, "Can't wait for the weekend, get drunk and try and score some weed".

Honestly don't know why teachers still keep an open facebook page or "friend" students.

I had a friend who was an elementary school teacher. It became A Thing for her at work when a student's parent saw a photo of this teacher, a grown adult, drinking a glass of wine at lunch.

A photo from her vacation to Italy, three years previous.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Tab8715 posted:

Uh,

No, Shia and Sunni were never, ever happy to live next to each other. The only reason they did for so long because they were more worried about Saddam than each other.

Still counts.

edit: to clarify, we're never happy living next to filthy others. It's good for us and the longer we do it the less other they feel, but by choice we'll avoid it. Right now lots of people have the choice and are self-segregating into insular communities. Fifty years ago in the US fewer people were economically free to do that. Fifteen years ago in Iraq no-one was politically free to do that. Now we are, and are doing so with the tools available.

suburban virgin has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Nov 13, 2014

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

canyoneer posted:

I had a friend who was an elementary school teacher. It became A Thing for her at work when a student's parent saw a photo of this teacher, a grown adult, drinking a glass of wine at lunch.

A photo from her vacation to Italy, three years previous.

My sister is a high school administrator. She is terrified to buy a six pack, go to the bar, or even buy a pack of cigarettes within 3 cities of where she lives since if a parent or student sees her it can cost her entire career.

So yes, we do hold teachers to ridiculously high standards.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

RFC2324 posted:

My sister is a high school administrator. She is terrified to buy a six pack, go to the bar, or even buy a pack of cigarettes within 3 cities of where she lives since if a parent or student sees her it can cost her entire career.

Back in the day teachers couldn't be married or date men either. It's just weird.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RFC2324 posted:

I do all my booze shopping when I happen to go to the city for this exact reason. I'm not afraid of getting fired because I buy booze, but more the possible rumours that might start. "Mr. Blistex was at the liquor store and he bought a bottle of Scotch. . . he's a big alcoholic." That's also part of the reason why I don't even have a facebook/twitter/instagram account (also don't really care for social media).

Back in the day, there were a million little things that a that a teacher had to avoid outside of school to keep out of trouble that it was akin to being a nun.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blistex posted:

I'm not a teacher but I'm pretty sure I'd be fired if I posted that same thing on facebook.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

belt posted:

I'm not a teacher but I'm pretty sure I'd be fired if I posted that same thing on facebook.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid any way you cut it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

belt posted:

Yeah, that one is pretty retarded no matter who you are.

Well, I guess if you are a drug dealer by trade it might be something to get away with.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Stoatbringer posted:

If you don't like and share you'll never have money again.

Thanks mr skeltal

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

belt posted:

I'm not friends with anyone from work on Facebook and you can't look me up unless you're already my friend.

Basically my privacy settings are "no, I'll add you, you won't be able to find me".

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, that one is pretty retarded no matter who you are.

Well, I guess if you are a drug dealer by trade it might be something to get away with.

Or if you live in Washington/Colorado (and aren't a teacher).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Apogee15 posted:

Or if you live in Washington/Colorado (and aren't a teacher).

Even there I would expect to lose my job.

The legalization there only prevents the state from coming after you, not your job, which can still require you to be drug tested.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Even there I would expect to lose my job.

The legalization there only prevents the state from coming after you, not your job, which can still require you to be drug tested.

Yeah, it depends on the job really. And companies ARE totally free to come after their employees(infact, companies can and have fired employees for tobacco smoking and alcohol use or even stuff like infidelity), but why would they want to fire a productive employee because of legal drug use? Really the only reason is if they are in a position where your reputation really matters(such as a teacher), or if there is some safety concerns(ie insurance concerns).

At least in the tech industry, no one seems to care. I work at Microsoft, and people like to joke that if Microsoft drug tested they'd have to fire 2/3 of their engineers. MS might be a bad example though, they let their employees get away with whatever. My boss has a giant liquor cabinet at work, and will occasionally require a taxi to go home on friday.

Apogee15 has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Nov 14, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In high school I had an English teacher who drank Irish coffee during class and my Bio II teacher showed us how to make prison wine(though we obviously didn't drink it) for the unit on fermentation. Sometimes hick public schools own way more than schools that actually have things like "funding" or "computers" or "recent textbooks". Only sometimes though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Apogee15 posted:

Yeah, it depends on the job really. And companies ARE totally free to come after their employees(infact, companies can and have fired employees for tobacco smoking and alcohol use or even stuff like infidelity), but why would they want to fire a productive employee because of legal drug use? Really the only reason is if they are in a position where your reputation really matters(such as a teacher), or if there is some safety concerns(ie insurance concerns).

At least in the tech industry, no one seems to care. I work at Microsoft, and people like to joke that if Microsoft drug tested they'd have to fire 2/3 of their engineers. MS might be a bad example though, they let their employees get away with whatever. My boss has a giant liquor cabinet at work, and will occasionally require a taxi to go home on friday.

I work tech as well, and while I am in Texas, my company has offices all over the world.

Drug tests are still a major concern here, even tho there are meetups at the bar across the street all the time, and people get absolutely plastered. We have still been warned that drug tests are a possibility, since we maintain a random testing policy for all US offices(I would guess any office where it isn't blatantly illegal) and I had to piss in a cup to get the job.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Drug testing is stupid and bad and dumb. The only reason it exists in the first place is that somebody tried to do some construction poo poo while high--I'm fine drug testing for a job that involves moving heavy machinery, but retail? Tech? Come the gently caress on. If you're not coming to work obviously intoxicated, your workplace shouldn't have to give a poo poo.

I swear, if the game wasn't so rigged I'd go into public office solely to legislate worker protection laws designed to ensure that employees can't be fired for dumb poo poo like infidelity, and random drug tests can only be carried out in jobs that can prove sufficient risk and harm associated--like construction or surgery.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Drug testing is stupid and bad and dumb. The only reason it exists in the first place is that somebody tried to do some construction poo poo while high--I'm fine drug testing for a job that involves moving heavy machinery, but retail? Tech? Come the gently caress on. If you're not coming to work obviously intoxicated, your workplace shouldn't have to give a poo poo.

I swear, if the game wasn't so rigged I'd go into public office solely to legislate worker protection laws designed to ensure that employees can't be fired for dumb poo poo like infidelity, and random drug tests can only be carried out in jobs that can prove sufficient risk and harm associated--like construction or surgery.

The excuse in my workplace is the fact that I work on production critical systems, and have access to highly confidential information. One typo while working when I am high could cost the company millions(I have seen it from a typo someone made while sober costing over 7 million)

Additionally, drugs are seen the same as debt, in so far as it can provide a handle that a competitor could use to extort me into giving them said information.

Because pot is like that, you know? :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Stoatbringer posted:

I like how it's they're going to fix "2 big things!" Breast reduction was the first thing that came to mind after reading that.

• Locked thread