Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Action Jackson! posted:

Here's the tank I was looking at. The lighting seems nice and bright but then again I know jack and poo poo about this kind of thing. :)

Whoa, pal, $130 for a 6 gallon tank? No way, you're way overpaying. You can probably find someone's old 10g tank for $10-20, get a little HOB filter for $20, and buy a light and come in WAY under $130.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Whoa, pal, $130 for a 6 gallon tank? No way, you're way overpaying. You can probably find someone's old 10g tank for $10-20, get a little HOB filter for $20, and buy a light and come in WAY under $130.

I realize that this is quite expensive and that I could surf craigslist and get something for a fraction of the price but when I buy things of this nature for pets (cat condos, dog crates and the like) I have two concerns:

- Health and safety of the animal.
- Aesthetics.

Since this is going to be in a pretty prominent place in my living room I'd like it to look really nice and have the features I need so that the fish thrive. If anyone has any suggestions on a cheaper tank that fits the bill I'm all ears.

edit: I also have two douche-y cats that like to fiddle with anything that looks somewhat interesting so a tank with a proper lid would be perfect.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Two of my favourite shrimp decided to be photogenic this evening, well kind of.

Big Cameroon Fan shrimp doesn't come out of his cave much and I've not seen the other CFS since I pulled out an old ornament a while back. Still it's good to see these two out and about.

Also pictured, one assassin snail and algae.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

I could watch little shrimp mill around for hours. I find them really fascinating and I don't know why. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Action Jackson! posted:

I realize that this is quite expensive and that I could surf craigslist and get something for a fraction of the price but when I buy things of this nature for pets (cat condos, dog crates and the like) I have two concerns:

- Health and safety of the animal.
- Aesthetics.

Since this is going to be in a pretty prominent place in my living room I'd like it to look really nice and have the features I need so that the fish thrive. If anyone has any suggestions on a cheaper tank that fits the bill I'm all ears.

edit: I also have two douche-y cats that like to fiddle with anything that looks somewhat interesting so a tank with a proper lid would be perfect.

Generally the Edge is looked on pretty favorably around here. I think those bulbs ended up being ok for very low light plants, but if you want something like dwarf baby tears or a carpeting plant you'll probably need a stronger light.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
It's not just you. I've had a few people ask me why I have shrimp and after telling them show some video of the little buggers and they've all been captivated by it.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

My wife has mentioned that I get more upset at the loss of a shrimp than a fish. Shrimp are awesome though, my big amano steals fish food tablets which always cracks me up. Goes scuttling off into a cave chased by annoyed barbs.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Generally the Edge is looked on pretty favorably around here. I think those bulbs ended up being ok for very low light plants, but if you want something like dwarf baby tears or a carpeting plant you'll probably need a stronger light.

That sounds about right. What I've read about bettas say that they work better in lower-light environments anyway. I'll keep the plant thing in mind. Thanks!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

GreyPowerVan posted:

I don't know about the frogs but my betta does fine in a 5g and people keep them in smaller things. I wouldn't want to keep him in less than 3g though.

Also make sure to get at least a decent light if you're trying to grow things, most tank combos I saw when I was shopping for a tank a few months ago come with bad lights.

A 20gallon Long. I don't think I had enough plants to keep both of the gourami.

It' might have been a small tank, I was told that my 28 gallon was cutting it close for the space they need.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

It' might have been a small tank, I was told that my 28 gallon was cutting it close for the space they need.

i thought they would be fine but i didn't have enough plants at the time, I think.

Yeah if you really like the way the edge looks it's fine then, I'm just poor and can't imagine buying it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keep in mind that you'll have to do all your tank maintenance through that tiny square hole, and it'll restrict your addon options like lighting, filters etc having to go through it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SocketWrench posted:

It's not just you. I've had a few people ask me why I have shrimp and after telling them show some video of the little buggers and they've all been captivated by it.

The only things in my tank that are named are the bamboo shrimp. We lost one a couple weeks ago and my girlfriend was really sad. Inverts are really cool and generally seem to have more personality. Granted, fish have a ton of personality too but in my experience you really have to spend more time paying attention to them to understand their quirks.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Are there any easy to come by shrimp that would be safe from my green tiger barbs? 55 gallon and I would prefer they weren't immediately eaten...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

Are there any easy to come by shrimp that would be safe from my green tiger barbs? 55 gallon and I would prefer they weren't immediately eaten...

if it's got a lot of plant cover the shrimp will hide, they're pretty smart and good at hiding.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

GreyPowerVan posted:

if it's got a lot of plant cover the shrimp will hide, they're pretty smart and good at hiding.

I added 6 cherry from another tank and they were eaten immediately :(

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

I added 6 cherry from another tank and they were eaten immediately :(

Your barb is a dick, sorry for your loss.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Action Jackson! posted:

I could watch little shrimp mill around for hours. I find them really fascinating and I don't know why. :shrug:

Shrimp are food...not friends.

Get any species of small puffer and toss in like 30 ghost shrimp with a ton of hiding spaces.

My GSP hunting is the absolute best part of my day. If I can find my old phone I have video of him biting a ghost shrimp clean in half, and the front half of that shrimp fleeing to a group of others, who proceed to flee from him.

Also,

Still debating what to do with the 60 Gallon.

I want to do a ton of plants, and possibly an archer.
If I do that I'm only going to fill the tank 33% and do PVC planters above the waterline so I can throw gut loaded crickets in and watch him shoot them down.

Otherwise I'm going to go heavily planted and get a bunch of fast bottom feeders and a gorgeous centerpiece betta.

I was also thinking about breeding bettas in a 60g to speed up fry growth.

IDK though. It's too much for me to think about right now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Does anyone have any good ideas about what to do with a freshwater lobster? Vanillas are pretty and in stock on a regular basis at my local Petco, and I'm thinking about getting a 50 or 60 gallon for one. Just wondering about fish that might be good/suitable/easy to maintain in there with him. A small group of cichlids maybe? Gourami?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Nothing that rests on the bottom.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Had an early morning semi-tragedy!

One of my dwarf gourami got themselves stuck in one of the exits from a tunnel-happy bit of rock I have. It had over-estimated its own girth and the poor little bugger was vibrating back and forth trying to get itself unstuck. He eventually wedged himself in so tight there was no way out. It was incredibly lucky that I happened to be watching at the time and could gently, but firmly, push the poor terrified little fish out of the hole. It spent the next half hour barely swimming around, with a slightly torn fin and a shellshocked expression. Hopefully it will have de-stressed by the time I get home from work.

That sort of stuff really sets the nerves on edge.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

SocketWrench posted:

Nothing that rests on the bottom.

Had a crayfish for a while.

Caught my puffer...survived.

Put him in the girlfriend's molly tank, caught him trying to chew on a gold dust...smacked him with the net and he let him go.

gently caress water roaches.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

w00tmonger posted:

The two shrimp I pictured above live with eight Green Tiger Barbs which leave them alone. I wouldn't think about putting cherries in there though, they would get torn to bits. I do have a small Amano about half the size of that Bamboo and he seems happy enough. That bamboo is around an inch long for reference and the Cameroon Fan shrimp is a bit bigger in length and built like a tank. expensive over here though, cost more than any of the fish.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Starting to put together a list of equipment for a new build I'm going to work on. Looking at a 29 or 36 gallon heavily planted / aquascape tank for the bedroom. I've done a lot of research but there's areas that I've never had experience with that maybe I could get some confirmation or recommendation on.

Filter: I want to go canister and am currently looking at the Fluval line - namely the 206. Anyone have any experience with this brand or can recommend other reliable and most importantly quiet canister lines?

Inlet/Outlet: Looking for something classy, but not 100 dollars blown glass ADA classy. Any recommendations?

Substrate: Can anyone confirm that ADA Amazonia / powersand is the way to go for substrate? I've looked quite a bit and don't really see anything else comparable in north america.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
With regards to filters, I have a Fluval 306 for my 30 gallon and it's amazing. I upgraded from an Interpet pf3 internal and the difference is stunning. It's whisper quiet, has amazing flow and was a great investment. It's a pain to setup though - gotta cut the hoses to length yourself, clean everything out, hook it up etc. But it's very much worth the hassle.

I was gonna go with a 206, but the 306 was like 10 bucks more and gives you loads more headroom.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
I've got that SunSun canister filter that DemonR6 always recommends, and it's been awesome and quiet for over a year now. They're like $45 too, can't beat it imo.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Awesome I'll take a look at both.

Another one - anyone have any experience with any live plant sites they can recommend to use or avoid? I'm going to ask my LFS if they can get some specific harder to find stuff in, but I want to have a backup place in case they can't get some specific species I'm looking for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SharkTattoos posted:

Awesome I'll take a look at both.

Another one - anyone have any experience with any live plant sites they can recommend to use or avoid? I'm going to ask my LFS if they can get some specific harder to find stuff in, but I want to have a backup place in case they can't get some specific species I'm looking for.

Aquabid.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SharkTattoos posted:

Filter: I want to go canister and am currently looking at the Fluval line - namely the 206. Anyone have any experience with this brand or can recommend other reliable and most importantly quiet canister lines?

Like the guy a few posts above me said, I bought a SunSun canister for like $50 and it's completely silent.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Alright, question time. I was watching my angelfish tonight when I got home and woke everyone up. While feeding them one was coasting along just above some of the big rocks in the back and tapping them with it's whisker like fins. I haven't seen any of the others do it.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Shrimp are food...not friends.

Get any species of small puffer and toss in like 30 ghost shrimp with a ton of hiding spaces.

My GSP hunting is the absolute best part of my day. If I can find my old phone I have video of him biting a ghost shrimp clean in half, and the front half of that shrimp fleeing to a group of others, who proceed to flee from him.

PLEASE FIND YOUR OLD PHONE!!

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Remind me to never own a Scat again.

No one told me they would eat all of my plants...

I miss how good that tank looked.

It will never be that good looking again...

:emo:

EDIT: The two I had ignored all the plants for a solid month and a half before they just destroyed everything.

Also my cherry barbs were dicks and ripped up my microsword.

SkaAndScreenplays fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 16, 2014

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
my fish just uproot them constantly. Substrate was due for a cleaning anyways, so figured I'd take the time to replant. Not more than 15 minutes later there's poo poo floating at the top again. The angels are getting to the point they tear things up chasing the shrimp. "Hmm, can I fit through here to eat that red gently caress? Nope. Oh well, I'll wedge through anyways!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone use a mesh bag of any sort for the Eheim classic filters for the bio balls or the mech? Cleaned my new filter for the first time and rinsing those bits was a pain. With my aquaclears the bio balls were in a mesh bag and I just swished them around in a bucket of tank water real quick.

I see eheim sells a bag, but it seems like nobody really uses it. Any insight?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's the issue? As long as they're not oversized and create spots where water can just bypass the filtration, any mesh bag should do.

Lbeuol
Aug 19, 2006

Washing my hands since 2002
I'm keeping a bunch of Taiwan bee shrimps, where did my life go wrong :smith:.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When you bought the macro SLR camera to take the pictures.

C'mon, post em.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

I have a sick fish, possibly ich?

He wasn't eating this evening, not swimming around much either. I can't see anything on any of the others.

I've placed him into a quarantine tank for now, I have some Melafix which won't help ich, I wont be able to get anything else till tomorrow, any recommendations or diagnosis?

Edit - he died :(

Seemed fine yesterday, today unhappy, not eating then dead. I shall keep a close eye on the others.

Jekub fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 19, 2014

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I don't see any Ich in that picture.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

He developed those small white patches behind his eye and down his side, but no they didn't look like the pictures I have seen of ich. It was the only thing I could think of though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Could be tiny fungal patches. Melafix would be what you want, but its hard to tell.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 20, 2014