Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

perfectfire posted:

I think we've been over this before. UK salaries look like crap to North Americans because they get hella benefits from their government. They're hard to compare.

I work in the UK.

22k is peanuts even for the UK.

Surprise T Rex posted:

If you're in London that doesn't surprise me. I'm in the East Midlands, not the biggest tech hub in the world.

I also did nothing related to CS/Dev work at uni. I'm basically self taught, with about 4 months of C# experience and a little Python/Ruby, which there's about 0 demand for, around here.

Yup. Are you prevented from moving? 4 months is kind of short unfortunately. Maybe stick it out for a while to build up the CV and then go jobhunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Gaffe posted:

The average cost for 12 week programs seems to be around $14k and rising.

:captainpop:

Dang. That's a lot of money. My two year masters program is about that much. Maybe I should start one of those in a few years.

Gaffe
Mar 22, 2007

PlesantDilemma posted:

Did the place give any help in looking for a job? Was there a resume workshop or interview practice sessions or anything?

They have a dedicated career services staff that works with students individually throughout the program and well after graduation. The last week of class was almost entirely dedicated to portfolio/resume prepping, practice interviews and one-on-one help nailing down the types of jobs each person should be applying for. Since I had a job lined up when the program started I didn't participate in any of it but I have heard nothing but positives about the career services team.

One commitment they make that I really appreciated was long term help for alumni. Some of the early classes had students ready to move on to new positions after 6-9 months, and they still got one-on-one help as needed from the career services team.

Doghouse posted:

:captainpop:

Dang. That's a lot of money. My two year masters program is about that much. Maybe I should start one of those in a few years.

Yep. Even accounting for lost wages during the 3 month program I think most of my classmates will have broken even within a 12-18 months. If you don't get a job or find out you hate writing code though, things could go pretty badly for you. One of the downsides of the newness and lack of accreditation is that funding these programs can be really difficult.

Gaffe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 12, 2014

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Discovering you hate the job after going through a three month program is pretty trivial compared to things like discovering it after paying for law school.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Malcolm XML posted:

I work in the UK.

22k is peanuts even for the UK.

Yup. Are you prevented from moving? 4 months is kind of short unfortunately. Maybe stick it out for a while to build up the CV and then go jobhunting.

Yeah, I've not got much dev experience at all, professional or otherwise. I'm almost entirely self taught.

Are you saying that 22k is awful for a graduate/junior developer job? It seems like that's in the mid-high range for around here.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Gaffe posted:

I am curious where you're at/which program this is that is producing 4-5 job offers before finishing the program. That sounds unrealistic, or they're pushing students into the job market before they've even finished instruction.

http://www.swcguild.com/

This is the one that I was referring to. Supposedly the guy that runs it has a lot of direct contacts with companies around the country.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah, I've not got much dev experience at all, professional or otherwise. I'm almost entirely self taught.

Are you saying that 22k is awful for a graduate/junior developer job? It seems like that's in the mid-high range for around here.

22k is what I got started on as a graduate in a Scottish *games company* like 8 years ago, it is garbage. And by Scottish I don't even mean Edinburgh or Glasgow.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
A few pages ago I posted about quitting my job and finding a new one that paid nearly twice as much. Well, I've been at the place for some while now, seen the codebase, worked with the team and I start to realize why. drat. I'm kicking myself ... for not quitting the old place sooner because the people here are cool, the management is good, code looks fine, coffee is free, even the lunches are great, and everything is awesome :iamafag:

If you're unhappy at your job and think you can do better, go for it.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Any chance any of y'all have a hot lead/tips on where to look for jr spots in NYC/Brooklyn? I've been putting myself out there on angel and SO careers, and have been getting plenty of love from recruiters but everyone seems to be hiring senior Python positions out here.

Went all the way through a tech interview with one place and the dude said he would love to hire me, but he needed someone more senior. Gave me a fat reading stack and told me to check in later. So, I'm doing that, but I'd really like to get going on this as my current job is sort of not great.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

The March Hare posted:

Any chance any of y'all have a hot lead/tips on where to look for jr spots in NYC/Brooklyn? I've been putting myself out there on angel and SO careers, and have been getting plenty of love from recruiters but everyone seems to be hiring senior Python positions out here.

Went all the way through a tech interview with one place and the dude said he would love to hire me, but he needed someone more senior. Gave me a fat reading stack and told me to check in later. So, I'm doing that, but I'd really like to get going on this as my current job is sort of not great.

I got my current job here via a recruitment agency. I worked with several, if you're interested pm me and I can give you some advice. What is your general background/skill set?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

pigdog posted:

A few pages ago I posted about quitting my job and finding a new one that paid nearly twice as much. Well, I've been at the place for some while now, seen the codebase, worked with the team and I start to realize why. drat. I'm kicking myself ... for not quitting the old place sooner because the people here are cool, the management is good, code looks fine, coffee is free, even the lunches are great, and everything is awesome :iamafag:

If you're unhappy at your job and think you can do better, go for it.

Congrats! Enjoy. Especially the free coffee. I still really, really enjoy that where I work.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

DimpledChad posted:

I got my current job here via a recruitment agency. I worked with several, if you're interested pm me and I can give you some advice. What is your general background/skill set?

General background is that I dropped out of architecture school in my 5th year of college, moved to Brooklyn and started working at my current company in R&D. My dept. is in charge of bringing new materials to market, so I've done everything from clean molten plastic made from algae off of a terrifyingly hot 8' long screw to writing the scripts that my teammates use to test different material performance on printers.

I started playing with Django a little over a year ago, and brought one site to "completion" but have since been working to actually complete it. I'm writing a shitload of unit tests and working on some functional tests in Selenium right now because I did that thing where you just go 'writing tests sounds boring, I'll do it when it matters' and, welp. Buzzword soup for the project includes: Python/Django/elasticsearch/celery/DRF/pyqt/javascript/compass-sass/nginx/gunicorn/git and probably some stuff I forgot about.

I've also got one itsy bitsy commit making its way into Django 1.8, which people seem to really like to see.

Current employer has been promising me a move into software for almost a year now with no actual move, and I feel like I'm really not progressing because I have no oversight so everything I do just goes from my hands directly into 'production'. I've been teaching myself all of this stuff in isolation for a while now, and I'd really like to find a place that can afford to take on a smart baby dev so I can finally blossom.

americong
May 29, 2013

Onsite with Amazon in a few weeks, any company-specific tips? I hear they're a bit of a meatgrinder, especially for entry-levels, so I'm going to talk to a few more companies as well.

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

I PMed you, but I'll repost some of what I said (minus personal stuff) in the thread in case it's helpful to anyone else.

As I mentioned, I found my current job through a staffing agency. There are a bunch of IT recruiters in the city, some better than others.

The advantage of working with an agency is that they will know what the market is looking for in terms of experience, and it's in their interest not to put you up for jobs that you're under/overqualified for, as they only get paid if you're hired. They can also help you negotiate salary, and the good ones will have good advice and really work to get you out there interviewing. The bad ones will treat you like just another box to tick off, waste your time, and get you nowhere, so use your common sense as to whether the person you're talking to is competent and trustworthy.

The downside is that top-level companies don't use external recruiters; you're not going to get a job at Google or Facebook this way, and most other corporate jobs also all go through internal HR. You have to be on the lookout for sketchy/lovely companies. That being said, my current company is great and since it sounds like you're looking for a foot in the door it may be a good way to go.

I feel like with a year of experience with python/Django, you should be able to get something; there's a ton of demand out there. I had only about 8 months of real on-the-job experience before this. When I was applying, a ton of places asked for code samples and/or example sites that I'd worked on. I didn't have much to show, except for an HTML5/JS game that I made specifically as a demo to show people and some websites that I'd worked on in the previous 8 months. It would be a really good idea to put some toy projects on GitHub just so that people can see you actually can program.

In addition, my current job actually gave me a small take-home programming project the complete between the phone screen and the in-person. I really liked that, because it gave me an opportunity to prove myself. I pulled an all-nighter and knocked the project out of the park: I met and exceeded the spec, all my code was meticulously commented, the presentation was very polished, etc., and my manager says that's a big part of what got me the job. One tactic I think you can use is to offer to do a programming assignment yourself if people are skeptical about your experience level/available portfolio. Just beware though, it's fine to do a small assignment as a demo of your skills, but I've heard several stories of sketchy companies doing unpaid "tryouts" where you write code they'll actually use or fix bugs in their software. It's not cool to do actual work without getting paid for it, and any reputable company would compensate you as a contractor for any time you spent working on their product. Also keep in mind that legally, if you're not an employee on the clock, you own the copyright to any code you write unless you explicitly sign it away.

Hope this helps! You can totally make the transition; I was an opera singer before this.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

What's the consensus on blogs? I've seen a number of job postings request a link to your blog where you presumably write about programming. I've been meaning to write down some thoughts or project walkthroughs anyway, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about doing it. Tumblr? Hosted wordpress? Completely built from the ground up page? Does the URL have to be mega-professional, or can it be kinda goofy?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Literally Elvis posted:

What's the consensus on blogs? I've seen a number of job postings request a link to your blog where you presumably write about programming. I've been meaning to write down some thoughts or project walkthroughs anyway, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about doing it. Tumblr? Hosted wordpress? Completely built from the ground up page? Does the URL have to be mega-professional, or can it be kinda goofy?

I don't think having a blog is necessary and it's fine not to have one. Actually, people that write about programming generally creep me out, especially (and you can tell) when they write for the purpose of being one of those people that write about programming. If somebody has a personal website that's, well, cool, but it's the same as having a github account that's cool or some other cool thing -- not that interesting once I'm actually talking to them, unless it really is really fuckin' interesting. Like, the way it would be if your blog had some poo poo that shows you're a bad motherfucker, not some opinion haver with a lovely walkthrough that obviously nobody cares about or some neurotic generalities about how you write code.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

sarehu posted:

I don't think having a blog is necessary and it's fine not to have one. Actually, people that write about programming generally creep me out, especially (and you can tell) when they write for the purpose of being one of those people that write about programming. If somebody has a personal website that's, well, cool, but it's the same as having a github account that's cool or some other cool thing -- not that interesting once I'm actually talking to them, unless it really is really fuckin' interesting. Like, the way it would be if your blog had some poo poo that shows you're a bad motherfucker, not some opinion haver with a lovely walkthrough that obviously nobody cares about or some neurotic generalities about how you write code.

To show examples:

http://www.alex-ionescu.com/ Bad rear end motherfucker

http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks Neurotic generalities

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

To show examples:

http://www.alex-ionescu.com/ Bad rear end motherfucker

http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks Neurotic generalities

Oh wow that second one is horrible :/

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

americong posted:

Onsite with Amazon in a few weeks, any company-specific tips? I hear they're a bit of a meatgrinder, especially for entry-levels, so I'm going to talk to a few more companies as well.
Questions to ask a developer on the hiring team:
- How often does the team get high-severity support issues?
- Describe the last one you worked on.

Question for the hiring manager:
- How does the team's software get approved for release? (An answer that amounts to "We look at the calendar" is a bad sign. "We run tests" without further details is also a bad sign.)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 14, 2014

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
After working at my current job, I'm going to grill every future company I interview with questions about testing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Something I've learned/decided, is that I won't work anywhere that won't let me open-source most of the tools I write in the course of my work.

I'm doing some Android work right now and it's incredibly annoying that I don't have access to any of the tools I wrote while working at another company; having to solve the same problem more than once is frustrating. Plus, in my industry (security), it's pretty common to open-source internal tools so it's particularly galling.

So that would be something I ask when/if interviewing in the future.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

americong posted:

Onsite with Amazon in a few weeks, any company-specific tips?

Don't bring this up: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8600716

I'm bringing it up because it matches very well with what the ex-Amazon guys I work with told me.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

bonds0097 posted:

Plus, in my industry (security), it's pretty common to open-source internal tools so it's particularly galling.

Out of curiosity, is that the case even for the commercial companies involved in it? i.e. not just the academics or open-source divisions of the big players?

It sounds like a competitive disadvantage to do it, your post explains why.

It could be worse. You could have patented several big improvements at your first employer and then be hired at the second one and have to work around your own patents. *cough*

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Skuto posted:

Out of curiosity, is that the case even for the commercial companies involved in it? i.e. not just the academics or open-source divisions of the big players?

It sounds like a competitive disadvantage to do it, your post explains why.

It could be worse. You could have patented several big improvements at your first employer and then be hired at the second one and have to work around your own patents. *cough*

Yes, absolutely. I've never worked outside of the commercial sector. Big players like iSec Partners, IOactive or Tenable open-source a lot of the tools they use and publish them on Github. These aren't things they'd be selling anyway, it builds their brand and it helps the security community as a whole. The mobile space, in particular, thrives on freely available tools/frameworks like Substrate, CyCript, etc.

That said, not everyone releases tools. And I wouldn't work for one of those companies again.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
So, last day at this poo poo job comes and goes without any fuss, hooray. I start Monday at the $newplace which is by all accounts awesome. And yet I'm here and it hasn't been a long while! Well, that's because something interesting happened!

The SF place listened when I said "I might do some side work, sure" and shot me a contract: They're offering 11,500 to be paid in half upon getting my environment setup and then two one week stories done, then the the other half when I do two more stories.

While this is clearly not chump change, the question of making sure I get paid remains - how do I protect myself? What should I be looking out for? They took their sweet rear end time, but this doesn't seem too awful. On the other hand, I've never done remote work across state lines, let alone the continent.

Worst case I waste some time. Best case this turns into my ticket out of Florida, and some sweet cash for a few weeks of work.

What's the right move to make?

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I have a phone interview with Yahoo next week. CTCI says they often ask System Design questions, so I am reading chapter 10. Anyone have experience interviewing with Yahoo, or other things to prepare for System Design questions?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PlesantDilemma posted:

I have a phone interview with Yahoo next week. CTCI says they often ask System Design questions, so I am reading chapter 10. Anyone have experience interviewing with Yahoo, or other things to prepare for System Design questions?
I found this quora post helpful:
http://www.quora.com/How-should-I-prepare-system-design-questions-for-Google-Facebook-Interview

Makes me think about caches a whole lot.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Actually, I saw Gayle Laakmann's (author of Cracking the Coding Interview) answer to this question:
http://www.quora.com/What-graph-top...akmann-McDowell

Gayle posted:

You should know breadth-first search and depth-first search.

I have never seen anything about Dijkstra's algorithm asked. It'd be a pretty stupid question.

First, very few interviewers would know it. It's not like they go home every night and re-read CLRS or whatever their algorithm book is.

Second, it'd be way too hard. For candidates who were interviewing with me and finished a difficult question with some time to spare (that is, doing very well), I would ask them how to delete a node from a binary search tree. Only about 20% of candidates remembered this -- and this is of the really good ones. You think they know Dijkstra's algorithm?

Third, it wouldn't show anything. Knowing an algorithm says that you have a good memory or that you studied some stuff. We don't care about that stuff. We care about your ability to solve *new* problems.

The same goes for all these other fancy algorithm problems. Seriously, this is not what tech interviews are all about. The actual knowledge required is really just basic CS knowledge.

But here's what you should do: ignore my advice. Go look at actual google
interviews on CareerCup and Glassdoor. Go make your own decision about how important it is to know fancy algorithms. (Do not look at blogs on interview questions. Best case, they have a huge selection bias and are intentionally picking the ridiculous questions. Worst case, and more likely, they're lying or pulling their info from someone who lied.)

There's a reason I don't cover advanced graph algorithms in Cracking the Coding Interview: this stuff doesn't make it into interviews.

The idea that Google asks such things largely comes from an incorrect assumption that a highly selective company must require advanced knowledge. No, not exactly. They just set higher standards about your ability to solve new problems with basic CS knowledge.

Is that accurate? I've definitely heard of people being asked to implement sudoku solvers and find shortest paths in interview questions. The book she wrote also seemed to have easier questions than the ones I've been practicing in Elements of Programming Interviews, so I'm wondering if her knowledge of interviewing standards at top companies is simply out of date, or if I'm over-preparing in my effort to feel comfortable in an interview with Facebook, Google, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The reality is that it varies. Generally, interviewers are just regular engineers who can pretty much use whatever question they want. She's right though that as a general rule, they don't ask about complex algorithms, there just isn't enough time in the interview (especially when the interviewee is under pressure).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
System design questions are a specific type of question - often about the design of larger scalable systems. They're totally separate from the algorithmic questions. Facebook even has different names for the two types of interviews ("ninja" and "pirate"... yeah, yeah....)

I've been asked "How would you design Twitter?" and "How would you design a URL shortening service?" I failed both miserably at the time, but with a little upfront time studying systems design they would have been pretty easy. I think they're kinda crappy questions to get by surprise because spending even half an hour prepping for large-scale system design stuff (read: caching) puts you way ahead of anyone who doesn't, but if you're like Facebook and tell your candidates what to prep for it's pretty fair.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just looked at my recruiter's twitter and it looks like he's leaving Microsoft. I'm still waiting for them to schedule my Seattle interviews... What should I do in this situation?

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 17, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Why it gotta be this way

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Tech bubble? What tech bubble?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Cicero posted:

Why it gotta be this way

Because all the local municipalities look down on each other, and none would even consider merging with the neighboring town because of all those lower class people running around, so there's lots and lots of little itty bitty towns of 30k people each.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Does anybody have a feel for how strictly companies generally evaluate candidates on over the phone coding exercises? I had one this week where I got down the path to a correct O(N) solution pretty fast, after a short detour which I self-corrected. However, I did spend about ten minutes debugging my code so that it correctly implemented a secondary requirement, even though the output at this point was primarily correct. The program was producing fully correct results in O(N) time after this point.

I feel like the fumbling hurt me - is a correct, fast solution usually good enough for this sort of interview, or is it typical to face rejection for being a little frazzled over the phone? I would hope that companies care more about results, but false negatives don't really harm the hiring company, and I understand that they may err on the side of rejecting candidates.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

YanniRotten posted:

I feel like the fumbling hurt me - is a correct, fast solution usually good enough for this sort of interview, or is it typical to face rejection for being a little frazzled over the phone? I would hope that companies care more about results, but false negatives don't really harm the hiring company, and I understand that they may err on the side of rejecting candidates.

I'd say you're probably worried for nothing; what you did is called programming. You described literally every single day at a programming job, except you were interviewing which is an order of magnitude more stressful and you still came up with a working solution. Some companies do look for unicorns, but I'd go so far as to say they usually have real trouble finding what they think they want for what they are willing to pay for it.

Just, don't pin all your hopes on this one company. There are a million reasons why they might reject you, most of them utterly out of your control, so do your level best to not second-guess yourself. Our kind tends to over-analyze and dwell on hypotheticals, so the best thing you can do right now is just keep plugging away at the job search, and if this one company wants to hire you, great!

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

YanniRotten posted:

Does anybody have a feel for how strictly companies generally evaluate candidates on over the phone coding exercises? I had one this week where I got down the path to a correct O(N) solution pretty fast, after a short detour which I self-corrected. However, I did spend about ten minutes debugging my code so that it correctly implemented a secondary requirement, even though the output at this point was primarily correct. The program was producing fully correct results in O(N) time after this point.

Anyone who doesn't at least fumble a bit on a phone call interview is probably reading the answer off the internet, so I personally wouldn't hold it against you.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Safe and Secure! posted:

Actually, I saw Gayle Laakmann's (author of Cracking the Coding Interview) answer to this question:
http://www.quora.com/What-graph-top...akmann-McDowell

Is that accurate? I've definitely heard of people being asked to implement sudoku solvers and find shortest paths in interview questions. The book she wrote also seemed to have easier questions than the ones I've been practicing in Elements of Programming Interviews, so I'm wondering if her knowledge of interviewing standards at top companies is simply out of date, or if I'm over-preparing in my effort to feel comfortable in an interview with Facebook, Google, etc.

The sudoku solvers will probably appear for people who listed AI as part of their coursework (I'm not sure why that would be asked outside of this context.) I've gotten asked mathy questions because of my math background. In that context, it's a test for CSP/Backtracking or brute force.

I think that you're usually going to get questions related to the interest of the engineers. Google's culture was built out of implementing CS PHD research and that's probably a reasonable context to understand the questions being asked. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon had stuff on collaborative filtering, etc.

Don't get me wrong, these interviews are pretty stressful (still in the process of job search and all that.) But I have a feeling they're also looking for the type of people who get engaged in hard problems/puzzles. And CS has a lot of pretty interesting and incredibly hard problems that people spend ages crafting tools to solve.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
sometimes people have pet questions that are arguably harder than they should be; bad interviewers will say the only good interviewee is the one who solves it, good interviewers will look at the results less black and white.

i think cicero still has the fisher-yates question in the OP? if you don't know probabilities you're going to get super stuck or not necessarily understand why a solution like "sort but with a randomized comparator" is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Hey guys, I've recently started a Masters program in Computational Linguistics. I did a little Comp Sci in college (my degree was Linguistics), but never above the intro level. I looked at what my courseload looks like, and there's no Data Structures and Algorithms. Is this something I should be learning on my own? I have a fairly weak courseload right now, so I could do it. There's no chance of me taking it through my university, I'm in Europe and they have a hosed up system. Is this something I could conceivably learn on my own? Or some MOOC? Or picking up on my own? I could also do it online with some university or something. I reckon that this would help me out a little once I graduated. I could also be pursueded not to do this. But I figured since I was pretty strong on the Linguistics side, I should bolster the Comp Sci part.

I have a month gap in between semesters in February, and I could just do that a couple hours a day then.