Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Has anything really changed in the case today? Last I saw they were talking about him potentially being radicalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Definitely radicalized, not organized. His mother says he wanted to go to Syria.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

Definitely radicalized, not organized. His mother says he wanted to go to Syria.

Well, I say raid any home of someone who is a muslim and visits known radical sites.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I haven't seen anything to suggest either of the incidents this week were anything but a couple of suggestible individuals finding an outlet for their mental illness. There's no revenge to be had - they got what they wanted and they're dead. I can only hope this doesn't serve as a rallying call to others to commit further copy-cat acts. I'm a little uneasy with the 11th being so close.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I really appreciate that the media coverage has quickly shifted from 'ZOMG TEH TERRORISTS ARE COMING FOR ARE FREEDOMS' to 'these were a couple of nutbags and we need to have a serious discourse like a rational society'

It'll be interesting to see what changes get made in terms of security, but a lot of that is stuff that isn't really for public discourse, so...

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
How is this not terrorism? Do you have to have an official ISIS ID card to be considered a terrorist now?

edit: On second thought it's probably better the media isn't portraying it as terrorism. The general population likely doesn't know the difference anyway.

acumen fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 24, 2014

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Simkin posted:

It'll be interesting to see what changes get made in terms of security, but a lot of that is stuff that isn't really for public discourse, so...

I'm curious to see how far the CSIS will ride this into increasing their powers/budget/capabilities.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I talked to some of my buddies from the Argylls. Everyone is pretty much in a state of shock still, but they're hanging in there.

The way people are reacting to this is...amazing. Heartbreaking, but amazing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's kinda hosed up the way US media outlets are running with it. You'd think a dirty bomb was in an orphanage the way it's been covered.

A little slice of me is starting to like the 'no foreign ownership of media' rule if it prevents the tabloids from being passed as fact.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Really good memorial at the CFL game tonight. I'm sure photos will be in the paper tomorrow. Huge flag spanning the whole field, moment of silence for the two killed this week, and I think everyone sang their hearts out for the anthem.

Harper and Lawson were there. At halftime a veteran and serving member took the field and the standing ovation they got brought the house down.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
so how the gently caress do I polish the lovely patent leather dress boots into a proper mirror shine

I mean, other than finding a cadet and telling them to do it

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Leather Luster works really well, is durable, and doesn't crack. Furthermore, it can be touched up. Kind of a pain to apply in the first place, though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You can mail your boots to Leather Luster and they do the finish at their factory. It looks amazing.

Won't be done by the 11th though.

I took mine to a cobbler. $25, mirror shine.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

You lazy shits

Polishing cloth, can of Kiwi polish. Fill the lid with water.

Layer boot with 1 layer of polish, allow to dry. DO NOT RUB IN. Add another layer of polish to the sub-later, rub in, occasionally dipping your cloth into the water to moisten it.

You can do this while watching tv or whatever.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
That still sounds like a lot of work; can I just append a "Canada's peacetime army" section to the canned school presentations instead

(also, Parade Gloss or regular Kiwi? Is there a difference?)

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

MA-Horus posted:

You lazy shits

Polishing cloth, can of Kiwi polish. Fill the lid with water.

Layer boot with 1 layer of polish, allow to dry. DO NOT RUB IN. Add another layer of polish to the sub-later, rub in, occasionally dipping your cloth into the water to moisten it.

You can do this while watching tv or whatever.

One of the rules of the universe is that one guy's polishing technique will be a disaster for another guy.

Also, the new(ish) boots and Oxfords are loving, loving, loving garbage so basically no matter what you do it won't matter. Why they replaced the relatively high quality, easy to shine boots we wore forever with the 10lb Frankenstein boots is a complete mystery (I've still got two pairs of mirror-shine old boots for some reason...)

The last pair of ankle boots I got had the outer toe cap leather debond from whatever is underneath, making it completely impossible to shine - thankfully I don't have to wear them anymore, just the Oxfords I got in basic 12 years ago, which shine up nice. I have a new pair I haven't even removed from the box because they are the same outer finish as the dumb ankle boots and I refuse to waste precious hours of my life on them.

Canuck-Errant posted:

That still sounds like a lot of work; can I just append a "Canada's peacetime army" section to the canned school presentations instead

(also, Parade Gloss or regular Kiwi? Is there a difference?)

Black will get you a nice, deep black. Parade Gloss has more wax, seems to work OK for some as a finish layer. I use Neutral instead, but it can be hit-or-miss. When it hits, it's a really good wet-look shine.

compressioncut fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 8, 2014

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 16, 2017

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I find the best way to go about doing things is to heat up the polish in the tin with a cigar lighter, then smear a few thick coats on the boots. Let that sit and harden for around 10 minutes; then take your cigar lighter and heat up the polish on the boots in sections and rub with a kiwi cloth with no polish on it. After that it's just one coat of spit shining and you're golden. If you gently caress this method up though you can gently caress you boots up quite badly.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I burn shined for my entire career. Worked as well as the best spit polisher I knew and for 15 minutes of work.

My method was: rub polish onto boot with a couple fingers and a kiwi cloth. Do the same to the other boot. Return to the first, burn evenly and carefully, take a damp wrung-out kiwi cloth with a dab of water on your finger and polish. Do the same to the other. Always had one of the shiniest sets with extremely minimal effort.

acumen fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 8, 2014

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
If you really want that burn-shine result but don't want to have to spend time awkwardly and unevenly melting polish with a lighter, get a heat gun. It works unbelievably well, pretty close to Leather Luster results. And no flaking. But, you have to cough up money for a heat gun (which really is not that much, $20-30, it's the principle). We used one on my PLQ course, it was great.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
The cigar lighter works just as well as the heat gun with the added benefit of being like 7 bucks.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Does anyone here have any personal familiarity with the engineering (i.e. P.Eng) trades in the CF?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Anyone else hear about this? Some scumbag comes to the National War Memorial during the Remembrance Day Ceremony dressed up as a 'sergeant', and wearing the loving medal of bravery included.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/remembrance-day-sergeant-franck-gervais-not-in-the-military-dnd-says-1.2833025

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Maybe he figured if LCols in Kingston were able to wear medals they didn't earn, why couldn't he? :shrug:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
He got married in that uniform too. You think you'd be smart enough to realize there's only so many pathfinder-qualified sergeants in 3RCR, but I guess smart people don't pretend they're soldiers?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Or be some unassuming logistics Cpl with nothing more than a CD and Queen's Jubilee medal. Nobody would question that, and his poor job knowledge would only make it that much more believable tbh.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Impersonating military members is a thing I guess. Didn't know it was actually illegal in Canada though, as far as I'd heard it wasn't in the US.

And yeah, hard to resist going overboard for most of these idiots:

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Is it actually illegal, as in there's case law/precedent and people do get charged, or is it just because its on the books (I know its in the Criminal Code) that makes it illegal here? I feel like, even in the states they struck down that law as unconstitutional towards freedom of speech or whatever (i.e. fraud is already a crime, so someone impersonating a uniform member for actual monetary gain would just be charged with fraud) that here in Canada any such charge would quickly be shot down.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's actually illegal. Article 419 of the Criminal Code. Someone wearing a military uniform, or medals, or having discharge papers or any other documentation or "proof" of being in the military, without having legal authorization to do so (by either being in the military or obtaining permission, like for a movie or something) is guilty of an offence punishable by summary conviction.

Canada's free speech laws are far less permissive than in the US.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 13, 2014

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Or be some unassuming logistics Cpl with nothing more than a CD and Queen's Jubilee medal. Nobody would question that, and his poor job knowledge would only make it that much more believable tbh.

Nobody would question that because logs are invisible, especially when you need to file a claim.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Lassitude posted:

It's actually illegal. Article 419 of the Criminal Code. Someone wearing a military uniform, or medals, or having discharge papers or any other documentation or "proof" of being in the military, without having legal authorization to do so (by either being in the military or obtaining permission, like for a movie or something) is guilty of an offence punishable by summary conviction.

Canada's free speech laws are far less permissive than in the US.

Swagger was asking if it was actually enforced, but in the news article I linked already a guy in Winnipeg was charged and pled guilty in court to it (no jail time though). I just didn't know it was illegal before I looked it up. So yeah, don't do it.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ub posted:

Impersonating military members is a thing I guess. Didn't know it was actually illegal in Canada though, as far as I'd heard it wasn't in the US.

And yeah, hard to resist going overboard for most of these idiots:

idk based on my experience with American military that dude's rack looks like he just passed basic and did a few weekend courses

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

The CBC must be quite embarrassed by their interview because they've jumped all over the story with a vengeance.

Pretty ballsy of this guy to go on national TV, probably has some mental issues.

Given the fact that he got pretty close with his uniform (at least showed more restraint than other fake soldiers) I figure Ex-Cadet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The perfect crime

save for the douchiest facial hair.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 16, 2017

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

The CBC must be quite embarrassed by their interview because they've jumped all over the story with a vengeance.

Pretty ballsy of this guy to go on national TV, probably has some mental issues.

Given the fact that he got pretty close with his uniform (at least showed more restraint than other fake soldiers) I figure Ex-Cadet.

The guy doing the story is former CF, about the only reporter in the world the cranks at army.ca have time for. Dog with a bone, and good for him.

I dunno about the uniform, pretty drat far-fetched as a jump qualified pathfinder sergeant with a goddamn bravery medal (that's what really bothers me a lot about this).

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Army dudebros on Facebook have apparently spoken with the recruiter at a queeb unit who was in cadets with this dude back in the day. Same soldier apparently also said that this guy has been posing for years.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ub posted:

Swagger was asking if it was actually enforced, but in the news article I linked already a guy in Winnipeg was charged and pled guilty in court to it (no jail time though). I just didn't know it was illegal before I looked it up. So yeah, don't do it.

poo poo, my bad, serves me right for posting just after getting up. But yeah, sometimes people get nailed for it. Chances are the "sergeant" with his gongshow beret acting a fool on Remembrance Day will get charged if he ends up being identified.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

compressioncut posted:

The guy doing the story is former CF, about the only reporter in the world the cranks at army.ca have time for. Dog with a bone, and good for him.

I dunno about the uniform, pretty drat far-fetched as a jump qualified pathfinder sergeant with a goddamn bravery medal (that's what really bothers me a lot about this).

I suppose its far fetched but frankly I could have walked by this guy and if not for his douchey beard and glasses combo I probably wouldn't have noticed anything is amiss (I've seen some pretty terrible berets by actual members as well)

Granted I'm not an Army type so I wouldn't know that the patch on his shoulder is wrong, or he's missing a sash, etc.

But it wasn't like he had a VC on and a SEALS pin or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

I suppose its far fetched but frankly I could have walked by this guy and if not for his douchey beard and glasses combo I probably wouldn't have noticed anything is amiss (I've seen some pretty terrible berets by actual members as well)

Granted I'm not an Army type so I wouldn't know that the patch on his shoulder is wrong, or he's missing a sash, etc.

But it wasn't like he had a VC on and a SEALS pin or something like that.

Yeah that's fair enough, it was definitely on the subtler side of implausibility.