Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

echoMateria posted:

I was against my friend buying Pixel Tactics since I heard so many complaints about it but he still wanted it just for the art. We played it a couple of weeks ago and I don't remember when I was so bored playing a game before. It was such a "pile on the leader munchkin crap" filled with tons of unbalanced cards and random things happening turn after turn. Of all the games he has "Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation" was the one I'd least want to play but I'd play that twice again instead.
:suicide:

Okay, I'm not a particular fan of Pixel Tactics. It's a bit of a mess balance-wise, and definitely not up to the standard of BattleCON. But how is it a "pile on the leader game" when it's strictly a two player game?

Are you sure you're not confusing it with some other pixel-art game, like Boss Monster (which is absolutely a Munchkiny bit of dreck)?

EDIT: Also,

echoMateria posted:

...but he still wanted it just for the art.

This also makes me think you have the wrong game. Like, Boss Monster is the sort of game that suckers nerds with the art

Pixel Tactics...not so much.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
That Sushi Dice game sounds like a lot of fun, but I would straight up not use the bell, specifically because I have a friend that would get an uncontrollable migraine every time she heard it. Snapping fingers or something would be better.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Morpheus posted:

That Sushi Dice game sounds like a lot of fun, but I would straight up not use the bell, specifically because I have a friend that would get an uncontrollable migraine every time she heard it. Snapping fingers or something would be better.

The bell is a cute idea, but they should leave it out reduce the price and just use an "Order Up" card. "The "Order Up" card is placed on the table where the bell would be and the first person to slap their hand on it would win. The reason you don't just shout out Order Up, is that people could dispute that they said it first if both players complete their plate simultaneously. First hand down wins, no ties, fewer disputes.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't want to sound like a Pixel Tactics apologist or anything, but I don't think this means what you think it means. Munchkin gets poo poo because the goal of the game (Get to level 10) can be stymied for what feels like an eternity because people keep throwing poo poo to stop that, exacerbated by the number of players because that just gives people more ammunition. Pixel Tactics is an explicitly 2p game where the goal of the game is to murder the other player's leader. That is the game. There is no way to munchkinize this, unless you think one player preventing another player from achieving their goals is why people hate Munchkin.

Like, the way you phrased the complaint makes me think you were playing Pixel Tactics wrong, giving it about as much as weight as Jedit complaining about The Resistance or Coup.

Oh, you are right, I was talking about Boss Monster on that post, I'll go ahead and edit that in to clarify. He's getting Pixel Tactics on our current order and pixel art made me mix two games. I haven't played Pixel Tactics yet.

The shop ony had Pixel Tactics 3, so he wasn't able to get them all this time. What's the difference between those three, would PT 3 be enough for him to decide if he likes the game or not?

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 13, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

echoMateria posted:

Oh, you are right I was talking about Boss Monster on that post, I'll go ahead and edit that in to clarify. He's getting Pixel Tactics on our current order and pixel art made me mix two games.

Yeah, I didn't think about it until Gutter Owl pointed it out. Boss Monster is loving trash and the only good thing about it is that I got $90 for it from my $25 Kickstarter. Oh, and that it ends.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Indolent Bastard posted:

The best "site" is our own Grandpa Pants Boardgame deals thread.

Awesome. I always forget about the coupon forum.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

echoMateria posted:

Oh, you are right, I was talking about Boss Monster on that post, I'll go ahead and edit that in to clarify. He's getting Pixel Tactics on our current order and pixel art made me mix two games. I haven't played Pixel Tactics yet.

The shop ony had Pixel Tactics 3, so he wasn't able to get them all this time. What's the difference between those three, would PT 3 be enough for him to decide if he likes the game or not?

They're all standalone. I think two and three introduce one new mechanic each. They're all equal as far as entry points go.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Man, Boss Monster makes Pixel Tactics look like a great game in comparison.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pixel tactics has a deck creation thing going on too, right? Like, if you bought multiple copies you could trick your deck out?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bells and stuff are the worst. This is a fairly popular "multi-modal quiz game" in Denmark:

See the little xylophone? The game has you find the missing note in a song that you have to play on that thing, or even trying to play tunes from memory and all of your no musical ability. I guess people have fun playing it, but anyone in the room will hate you. And it's popular in my university coffee shop. It sucks.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

BonHair posted:

Bells and stuff are the worst. This is a fairly popular "multi-modal quiz game" in Denmark:

See the little xylophone? The game has you find the missing note in a song that you have to play on that thing, or even trying to play tunes from memory and all of your no musical ability. I guess people have fun playing it, but anyone in the room will hate you. And it's popular in my university coffee shop. It sucks.

Isn't that the kid version? The original was just a straight trivia game.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's not really a kid version, it just has questions that aren't as based on answering random trivia. It still has you knowing your Michael Jackson, except now you have to play it instead of knowing the title. I guess it's for people who don't like and/or lose in straight quiz games, but would like the genre if it didn't have all those drat questions and their friends who like quiz games any old way. It's in theory a good take on the quiz genre I think, just please use a digital piano (left hand part please) on your ipad or something instead of the xylophone.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Ooops

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Morholt posted:

I've been considering getting TtA (played it a long time ago, in hindsight it's a good game). Should I get this instead? I have a guy that's into heavier games.

The thing about TtA is that you need to play it a bunch so you can memorize what's coming, as that will affect your early play. I've now played Arkwright twice, and there's no such need in the game. The game is all in front of you, which is great. If you've played Automobile by Martin Wallace, then Arkwright will be somewhat familiar, although Arkwright does it much better and with more depth. I've thoroughly enjoyed both my plays of the game and hope to play this weekend.

I don't care for games like TtA where there's a huge benefit to knowing all the stuff already so I sold my copy. If I ever feel like I just have to play it, I'll play it online.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Madmarker posted:

I would spend SO MUCH money on a good Final Fantasy Tactics themed game.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Blame Yourself or God, an epic strategy game for 2 in the land of Ivalice.

I have no idea what the mechanics would be......but I want it.

Final Fantasy Tactics The Boardgame is just rethemed Heroscape.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Lorini posted:

I don't care for games like TtA where there's a huge benefit to knowing all the stuff....

You really should try Pax Porfiriana.

In regards to open information versus needing prior knowledge of cards and such; I'd still say something like Caylus would be a more...proven title? It just seems dangerous and a little odd for recommending a brand new Arkwright in place of a known (and seemingly quite different beast of a game) Through the Ages.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Last night I played some King's Forge. The more I play this game the more I like it. It has just enough strategic depth but doesn't overstay it's welcome. I'll definitely be backing the expansion kickstarter.

Continuing with the dice theme, we played a round of Castle Dice. Even though I won, it felt pretty hollow. I enjoyed this game the first time I played it, but after this second go-around I wasn't quite as pleased. You're really handcuffed by the cards you draw, particularly in the late game when a bad draw can mean the difference between winning and losing. I like the overall concept of the game, but I will probably try to steer clear of this one in the future.

I also picked up the last copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig from my FLGS. I didn't get a chance to bring it to the table since I hadn't read through the rules or punched out all the bits. However, today I did something I have never done before in my gaming career: I played it solo. I've since gone through 2 more times and I may have another go at it before bed. Maybe I just like building things, and other things that benefit the first things (I loved Suburbia). I can't wait to play with 3 or 4, hopefully tomorrow night.

In other news, Saturday I'm playing Lords of Waterdeep with the designer, and the winner gets a copy of the game. So I guess that's something.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Big McHuge posted:

In other news, Saturday I'm playing Lords of Waterdeep with the designer, and the winner gets a copy of the game. So I guess that's something.

Slap his dumb face for me plz.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Slap his dumb face for me plz.

Yeah, I gotta force myself to be nice and not be all like "gee thanks for making this perfectly mediocre game that I neither hate nor love".

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Big McHuge posted:

Last night I played some King's Forge. The more I play this game the more I like it. It has just enough strategic depth but doesn't overstay it's welcome. I'll definitely be backing the expansion kickstarter.

I wonder how similar Steampunk Rally and King's Forge is. If I back both, would they be too similar and one would make the other obsolete on my table...

SR promises to deliver in August while KF is looking for February, I guess that's something to consider.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 14, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Big McHuge posted:

IIRC the designer is a loving shark at that game, he literally plays it every night with his wife (and still has a wife WTF). He's very likely to win. I'm not sure why he would need another copy...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

I also picked up the last copy of Castles of Mad King Ludwig from my FLGS. I didn't get a chance to bring it to the table since I hadn't read through the rules or punched out all the bits. However, today I did something I have never done before in my gaming career: I played it solo. I've since gone through 2 more times and I may have another go at it before bed. Maybe I just like building things, and other things that benefit the first things (I loved Suburbia). I can't wait to play with 3 or 4, hopefully tomorrow night.

You'll have to explain how it goes. I watched CoMKL played at Essen, and to me it looked like Suburbia with a few hard placement restrictions and taking up more table space. We have some big Suburbia fans in our group and none of them have the least interest in buying it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

You'll have to explain how it goes. I watched CoMKL played at Essen, and to me it looked like Suburbia with a few hard placement restrictions and taking up more table space. We have some big Suburbia fans in our group and none of them have the least interest in buying it.
It didn't blew me away but I liked the fact that you feel like you are building something as opposed to Suburbia, where you aren't building a town so much as connecting hexes together. The auction mechanism of the game is also more interesting because there's a much wider decision-space since you have to consider what other people might want, but have to balance getting enough money to be able to buy stuff with not allowing stuff to be too cheap.

I wasn't blown away by either Suburbia or CoMKL but I would play the latter over the former.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This is about 2 pages late but IMO Galaxy Trucker peaks at 3 players. It's still good with more, but everything begins to take longer and you need an ungodly amount of table space.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
Has anyone played/seen MIND-The Fall of Paradise at Essen? At $111 it sure is expensive but at least the concept looks fresh?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

IIRC the designer is a loving shark at that game, he literally plays it every night with his wife (and still has a wife WTF). He's very likely to win. I'm not sure why he would need another copy...

Even if he doesn't win, why would anyone good enough at the game to beat the designer need a copy of the game they presumably already play constantly?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Scyther posted:

Even if he doesn't win, why would anyone good enough at the game to beat the designer need a copy of the game they presumably already play constantly?
Sell it to others, it's pure profits!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Scyther posted:

why would anyone good enough at the game to beat the designer

AFAIK designers sucking at their own games is actually surprisingly common occurence.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Sell it to others, it's pure profits!

Isn't it more like recouping the loss you took by buying lords of waterdeep in the first place?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Scyther posted:

Isn't it more like recouping the loss you took by buying lords of waterdeep in the first place?
Buying board game is a zero-sum game, if you buy it, the board game isn't inflicting its evil on another people.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Lords of Waterdeep is a perfectly fine game, and a decent gateway to get inveterate D&D players into nerd board games. It's not good, but it's by no means bad, and it's pretty well-produced, reasonably well-balanced and mechanically not uninteresting.

It's OK, it's not bad. I'd probably own a copy if it weren't for the fact that my friend already does and when we play games like that, it's at his place.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I don't outright hate LoW, it's just so uninspired. It's the sort of game that is impossible to have strong feeling about, one way or the other.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Krazyface posted:

This is about 2 pages late but IMO Galaxy Trucker peaks at 3 players. It's still good with more, but everything begins to take longer and you need an ungodly amount of table space.

4 players is also decent, but 5 is basically unplayable.

I've been spitballing rules for a 6-player teams variant (that I've never gotten around to playing) - 2v2v2 (using similar mechanics to the 2A split ship), and you use an encounter setup one tier up from the ship class you're using. The only thing I'm really missing is an elegant solution for asteroids/cannon fire - the best I've come up with is have one ship in "front" and one "behind" for things from the front/rear, and anything from the side hits both ships.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, I don't outright hate LoW, it's just so uninspired. It's the sort of game that is impossible to have strong feeling about, one way or the other.

But isn't that a fairly interesting place to start for reeling people into the hobby? A strategy of catching them with the theme, and only then leading them on with the mechanic?

I mean, yes, we could thrown Space Alert or CoToW or BSG on people, but they will all be vastly different from anything they've known and as good as they are, they might even be off-putting in their… strangeness, I suppose would be the word. As thespaceinvader said, If you wanted to get ye olde D&D player to the table, it seems easier to plunk them down in front of Waterdeep than Starving Simulator 1.0 Agricola or Lordz/Petz. If they like it, you can move on to those games with the logic of “it's like that, but more advanced.”

I suppose that, as with a lot of other entertainment, there's this almost uncanny valley effect where “offensively bad” can offer its own type or entertainment, and is often far better than “offenseively bland”, and that LoW risks falling into the latter category. Even so, the blandness often seems to only exist in relation to what we know to be far better implementations of the same ide, and that sounds like an excellent opportunity to ramp up the introduction to new players.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I don't *think* the guy gets his own game if he wins, it'll probably go to second place in that case. I already have a copy, but I know a few friends who would really enjoy it as a Christmas gift. Normally I wouldn't have signed up to play, but I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to lay the smack down on the game's own designer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tippis posted:

But isn't that a fairly interesting place to start for reeling people into the hobby? A strategy of catching them with the theme, and only then leading them on with the mechanic?

I mean, yes, we could thrown Space Alert or CoToW or BSG on people, but they will all be vastly different from anything they've known and as good as they are, they might even be off-putting in their… strangeness, I suppose would be the word. As thespaceinvader said, If you wanted to get ye olde D&D player to the table, it seems easier to plunk them down in front of Waterdeep than Starving Simulator 1.0 Agricola or Lordz/Petz. If they like it, you can move on to those games with the logic of “it's like that, but more advanced.”

I suppose that, as with a lot of other entertainment, there's this almost uncanny valley effect where “offensively bad” can offer its own type or entertainment, and is often far better than “offenseively bland”, and that LoW risks falling into the latter category. Even so, the blandness often seems to only exist in relation to what we know to be far better implementations of the same ide, and that sounds like an excellent opportunity to ramp up the introduction to new players.
I guess if you only have D&Ders to attract, it would be fine, but for anyone else not invested in the theme and the D&D world (and even for some people that are into RPGs), the theme is literally pasted on to such a degree that it would make a euro-designer blush.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The people I know who still play Lords Of Waterdeep aren't new to the hobby at all, or even new to worker placement, in fact most of them have played stuff like Agricola and Stone Age before.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

I guess if you only have D&Ders to attract, it would be fine, but for anyone else not invested in the theme and the D&D world (and even for some people that are into RPGs), the theme is literally pasted on to such a degree that it would make a euro-designer blush.

Oh sure. It's a bit of a niche case. I'm more thinking about what role all those bland games can play. LoW just has the benefit of hooking directly into an entire audience, which makes it a lot more apparent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Honestly this is exactly what happened to me. I got Lords of Waterdeep as something for my D&D group to play after we stared transitioning to board/card games. It went over much better than the Pathfinder Adventure cards we where playing at the time. It lead me to buying Agricola which I had previously dismissed. Now Agricola is has unseated Munchkin/Cards against humanity as every ones favorite game. Lords of Waterdeep provided the bridge that got it onto out table; it is the weed to Agricolas crystal meth. A gateway game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Rutibex posted:

has unseated Munchkin/Cards against humanity as every ones favorite game

You're doing the Lord's work.

• Locked thread