Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The only way I would be ok with a reboot is if they just reset every universe except 616 and Ultimate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should use the conclusion to Hickman's run to relaunch the Ultimate line into a "Multiverse" line where they can tell whatever stories they want to tell. Throw Secret Wars and all these even re-tellings under the same line. It also lets Bendis continue Ultimate Spidey without the burden of having to carry the Ultimate line anymore.

It also gives us the chance for more Sp//der, Spider-Gwen and any other alternate event without having to force them into 616.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They should use the conclusion to Hickman's run to relaunch the Ultimate line into a "Multiverse" line where they can tell whatever stories they want to tell. Throw Secret Wars and all these even re-tellings under the same line. It also lets Bendis continue Ultimate Spidey without the burden of having to carry the Ultimate line anymore.

It also gives us the chance for more Sp//der, Spider-Gwen and any other alternate event without having to force them into 616.

Oh, maybe they could do a new series for Spider-Girl, too! Maybe a miniseries, I'd like to see a little more of her-oh, wait. :smith:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

team overhead smash posted:

I'm not sure about a federal level, but at least on a state level don't at least some states allow for this defence? I'm only going by what I remember from Law Comics though, which probably isn't the equivalent of several years actually studying law.

Also presumably USA courts wouldn't be able to charge them for an offence committed in Egypt.

Sorry to necro bump this more then two months after the fact, but there are a bunch of US laws that can charge its citizens for crimes committed abroad. The most well known one, related to sex tourism, is that a US citizen cannot go abroad and have sex with a minor. Some more other well known examples have to do with terrorist training or actions committed abroad.

Sorry...I'm just pissed I missed out on superhero legal debate sperging.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I was pretty disappointed with the latest Avengers World. All these epic storylines just end at the same time. The Smasher one was pretty much "Remember who you are!" I guess they needed to clear things up for the Axis cross-over...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Has it been confirmed that Hickman is stopping his Avengers/New Avengers run when Secret Wars starts?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

Has it been confirmed that Hickman is stopping his Avengers/New Avengers run when Secret Wars starts?

His run ends in may so unless it starts before that then yes.
EDIT: Also I noticed that Avengers and New Avengers had a Secret Wars banned in previews.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

redbackground posted:

It was Hickman himself who said he was finishing his run on the books early next year so unless things have changed due to Secret Wars he's still done. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a fresh Avengers/New Avengers launch next year with a new #1.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
What if they cancel everything except Secret Wars? Wouldn't that be a thing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

What if they cancel everything except Secret Wars? Wouldn't that be a thing.

You mean cancelling Avengers and New Avengers?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senor Candle posted:

You mean cancelling Avengers and New Avengers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah that would be crazy if they cancelled all their books and only put out 12 issues in an entire year.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Maybe this has already been answered but I didn't see it. Where does Avengers/New Avengers fit on a timeline with Axis? Is it going on at the same time? I'm kind of assuming it happened before Axis but that seems weird too.

EDIT: I guess what I mean is that it seems to be weird to have two major events going on at the exact same time. I started reading New Avengers after starting Axis.

Elucidarius fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 30, 2014

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Elucidarius posted:

Maybe this has already been answered but I didn't see it. Where does Avengers/New Avengers fit on a timeline with Axis? Is it going on at the same time? I'm kind of assuming it happened before Axis but that seems weird too.

Axis takes place during the 8 month jump that just happened in the Avengers books.

Krailor fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 30, 2014

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Elucidarius posted:

EDIT: I guess what I mean is that it seems to be weird to have two major events going on at the exact same time. I started reading New Avengers after starting Axis.

Axis has Falcon Cap and Iron Man fighting side by side, so I wouldn't worry too much about where it fits anyway.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Elucidarius posted:

It really doesn't work that well if you stare it too long. Just pretend that SIXIS is a communal fever dream or something.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Elucidarius posted:

Axis is on the timeline you shouldn't bother reading about.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

redbackground posted:

It really doesn't work that well if you stare it too long. Just pretend that SIXIS is a communal fever dream or something.

I think this is exactly what confused. me I tried too hard to figure it out. I'll just ignore everything except the whole "axis is in the past" thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Axis is on the Zelda timeline.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

Axis is on the Zelda timeline.

The one where Ganon wins.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Senor Candle posted:

The one where Ganon wins.

Are you trying to sell this comic?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Bell_ posted:

Are you trying to sell this comic?

Now we know who the shadowy person on the final cover is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
So of all the 'flash-forward' glimpses that were shown earlier as people narrated in Avengers/New Avengers, how many have actually been resolved so far?

The one of Namor stabbing a superhero in New Avengers has, and everything up to 'The War' in Avengers has, but has anything else matched up with those events, yet?

None of the ones with the Illuminati going up against various monsters have, as far as I know.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dan Didio posted:

So of all the 'flash-forward' glimpses that were shown earlier as people narrated in Avengers/New Avengers, how many have actually been resolved so far?

The one of Namor stabbing a superhero in New Avengers has, and everything up to 'The War' in Avengers has, but has anything else matched up with those events, yet?

None of the ones with the Illuminati going up against various monsters have, as far as I know.

The Fall in Avengers also happened when Tony had all the Iron Man suits fight the Avengers on autopilot.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

rkajdi posted:

The Fall in Avengers also happened when Tony had all the Iron Man suits fight the Avengers on autopilot.

Right, so it's pretty much just the Illuminati getting torn apart (literally, in Tony's case) that hasn't come to pass. Though those are definitely the least literal of the premonitions so who knows if that will actually 'happen'.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm pretty sure those were visions of not just our universe but from other incursions. We've seen (a) Black Bolt fight against the Black Priests. We've seen (a) Panther fight against the Mapmakers. The monsters Tony and Reed are fighting are (I'm almost sure) from the Negative Zone so no idea how those come into play unless those are yet to be released faction in the incursion game. Namor fighting heroes could be our Namor in another universe.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 3, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just watched Interstellar, did anyone else get strong Hickman vibes from the themes running through the movie?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

I just watched Interstellar, did anyone else get strong Hickman vibes from the themes running through the movie?

No, not really. I mean I guess they share a similar sort of dramatic tone, but thematically I didn't get any Hickman from it at all.

Edit: At least not Avengers. I could see making a case for F4, though, because of the strong emphasis on family.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2014

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Pretty massive Interstellar spoilers here, so uh, don't hover.

First you have the big conceit of an unsolvable problem. The incursions, the destruction of the multiverse, and humanity's slow depopulation from the scarcity of food and the dying out of crops.

Then there's the approach to the solution, pitting Optimism against Pessimism, Plan A vs Plan B. Find a habitable world in the galaxy across the wormhole, and migrate the existing population of Earth, versus abandoning Earth and repopulating with genetic samples. In Avengers, you have Cap's optimism of saving everyone + the Avengers machine, and Tony's pessimism of building bombs to destroy worlds. The professor and Matt Damon's character are akin to the Illuminati, working in secret. Plan A is a distraction to keep the heroes busy so Plan B can work. In the process they end up abandoning their humanity and ideals (Damon's planet is literally a representation of cold, calculating science untempered by what makes scientists human, a frozen, dead world.)

The last part of the movie is almost akin to the Avengers' time travel arc. McConaughey falls into a black hole, resulting in a temporal paradox. He realizes that the answer to humanity's survival is in himself all along, he's the ghost that not only begins this temporal loop, but also is the key to humanity's survival. Cap spends the arc travelling through time constantly being reminded that it's his character, his stubbornness and unwillingness to give up that will somehow be the key to the incursion problem.

There's some other imagery that pops up, like the black hole being representative of their plight. The answer is in the quantum singularity, but it's covered by an impenetrable darkness making it seemingly impossible to solve. There's a kind of nexus that exists outside of time and space represented by a library. And then there's the age-old cliches of love and family and working together for the betterment of all mankind.

I hope that makes some kind of sense as I'm not really good with putting together my thoughts and comparing two different mediums like that, haha.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The New Avengers #30 cover looks so cool but I almost don't want to know what bad stuff happened to all those Captain Britains. :ohdear:

Also, poor Spider-Britain!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Starsnostars posted:

The New Avengers #30 cover looks so cool but I almost don't want to know what bad stuff happened to all those Captain Britains. :ohdear:

I am going to assume the Cabal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Starsnostars posted:

It'd be fun if the Miracleman characters (were at least insinuated to have) had something to do with it. It'd be pretty nuts if there was an incursion where they found Kid Miracleman in full-on crazy evil mode on the other side.

Hold on, didn't the Captain Britain Corps get wiped out last time Claremont was writing X-Men? When did they come back?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Metal Loaf posted:

Hold on, didn't the Captain Britain Corps get wiped out last time Claremont was writing X-Men? When did they come back?

When people realized it was dumb, so immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

Oh hey it's Hauptmann Englande!

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

It'd be fun if the Miracleman characters (were at least insinuated to have) had something to do with it. It'd be pretty nuts if there was an incursion where they found Kid Miracleman in full-on crazy evil mode on the other side.

Captain UK (the woman by Spider-UK) is actually married to a version of Young Miracleman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Starsnostars posted:

Poor Spider-UK. He (presumably) survived the culling of Spiders in Spider-Verse, only to get whacked with the rest of the Corps in a completely different crisis. Talk about bad luck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Horrible Taste posted:

Captain UK (the woman by Spider-UK) is actually married to a version of Young Miracleman.

Oh, yeah, she is too! And Miracleman was in the issue where all her world's heroes (who are all homages to classic British comic characters) are slaughtered by the Fury, as well.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Metal Loaf posted:

Hopefully it is a sign that Marvel has adopted a policy of ignoring anything Claremont wrote after like, 1992.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So I guess Spider-UK survives Spider-Verse and is done in by an incursion. Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

So I guess Spider-UK survives Spider-Verse and is done in by an incursion. Poor guy.

Hey, due to weird multi-dimensional time wonkiness or a possible reset button at the end of Spider-Verse, he could die both.

• Locked thread