Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Nope. Pictures work, but spoilers are white text in a black box (at least in my post that you quoted)

Edit: and the Tap For Next Page thing is off center (although it doesn't look too bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

XIII posted:

Nope. Pictures work, but spoilers are white text in a black box (at least in my post that you quoted)

Edit: and the Tap For Next Page thing is off center (although it doesn't look too bad)

Try downloading this again. I've taken the avatar stuff from the version that Sereri posted and replaced what I had for those sections.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jaydee864 posted:

Try downloading this again. I've taken the avatar stuff from the version that Sereri posted and replaced what I had for those sections.

Nope, not seeing any change. Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about and the off center next button

(let me know if these are huge. I did it all via my phone, but I think they should be okay thanks to timg)

Edit: well, gently caress me. I grabbed the css from that link again and updated it a second time and now it works great. Guess I goofed somehow the first time. The Next button is still off, but I'm okay with that. Thanks!

XIII fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 13, 2014

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
My posts aren't showing up when trying to attach images. What am I doing wrong?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Trillest Parrot posted:

My posts aren't showing up when trying to attach images. What am I doing wrong?

Same!

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

XIII posted:

This is so close. Everything looks the way I want, but every few avatar pics are wonky and big.

spoiler test

Edit: spoilers work. Just the picture issue.

Spoilers don't actually seem to work, on any of the recent refixes for me :(

Unless it's specific read-post behavior.

E: it's not :(

Ee: Actually, I cleared data and now it works. All my dreams have come true.

Can't really believe you're all using this theme tbh

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 18, 2014

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Would it be possible for someone to add Samsung Multi Window support to the app? It looks fairly easy providing the app resizes properly.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14111052/adding-multi-window-support-to-android-application

Edit: just checked out the awful.apk source code and this stuff is already there. Anyone know why the app isn't showing up in my task switcher or the galaxy side bar thing? I have a new Galaxy Tab S.

Double edit: Deleted and reinstalled and it's fine now.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 19, 2014

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

EngineerJoe posted:

Would it be possible for someone to add Samsung Multi Window support to the app? It looks fairly easy providing the app resizes properly.

Edit: just checked out the awful.apk source code and this stuff is already there.
BTW, if I haven't already said thank you for including this feature, well, then, there you go. Even on my Galaxy SIII screen it's really handy to have IRC and Awful running simultaneously.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

nmfree posted:

BTW, if I haven't already said thank you for including this feature, well, then, there you go. Even on my Galaxy SIII screen it's really handy to have IRC and Awful running simultaneously.

Seriously, split screen something awful/irc is the main reason I wasn't using a tablet.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sigh. I rebooted the tablet and the awful app disappeared from the multi launcher.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

EngineerJoe posted:

Sigh. I rebooted the tablet and the awful app disappeared from the multi launcher.
Is it installed to the SD card? All my apps that break on reboot are due to being installed on the SD Card.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cruseydr posted:

Is it installed to the SD card? All my apps that break on reboot are due to being installed on the SD Card.
Holy poo poo this is still a thing? And people still do it?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

butt dickus posted:

People don't always do it intentionally. My wife recently had a ton of apps on her microSD and she didn't know her phone had a microSD slot.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I didn't even put an SD card in here yet. I think it might be related to this being the second account on this tablet.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

butt dickus posted:

I'm still on an EVO 3D with 1GB of internal storage. Chrome, Google Play services, Google Search, and Google Plus take up about 25% of it, and apps won't update without about 175 megs free, so that leaves me with approximately half a gig for the rest of my apps and data. If I didn't have the thing rooted with the ability to move apps to the SD Card that sometimes don't present the option, I would be unable to take much advantage of the 32gb SD card I have.
:negative:

fake edit: hopefully I can upgrade to a Nexus 6 or Note 4 soon. Still debating which to get.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
With the latest flurry of edits, I've fixed the very last nitpick issue, the margins on the post actions menu.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5s7dn0NW5g8SU1RYW12X2tvbUE/edit?usp=docslist_api

One hopes that link works, it looks good on devices other than a Nexus 5, and that anyone else cared.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ArcMage posted:

With the latest flurry of edits, I've fixed the very last nitpick issue, the margins on the post actions menu.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5s7dn0NW5g8SU1RYW12X2tvbUE/edit?usp=docslist_api

One hopes that link works, it looks good on devices other than a Nexus 5, and that anyone else cared.

I don't really see a difference on my Turbo, but I updated because newer=better, right?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

XIII posted:

I don't really see a difference on my Turbo, but I updated because newer=better, right?

Eh, the quote/edit/reply/things menu panel used to stick out past the post header and bother me, so I've adjusted it. Somehow. Yes.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

quote:

Multiwindow stuff
Uhh I blame Samsung

quote:

CSS stuff
Do we have actually working themes I can put into the OP?

For the beta people: are you guys still getting crashes?

I'm looking into replacing the icons in the app. Spanky the Dolphin, who was kindly enough to provide us with the Launcher icon, buttons and Play Store art only provided us with (for the time usual) XHDPI images. Now we have XX and even XXXHDPI devices and the icons look blurry on them. As Spanky isn't allowing PMs (and has since switched to an iPhone IIRC) we have the following possibilities:
1) Somehow establish contact with Spanky (dear god, please don't post in every thread he's in or something like that)
2) Find someone else who is nice enough (and maybe provides something vector based as well this time)
3) Use default icons provided by google or free icons from wherever

Another thing I've wondered is, there are quite a few people with an Android dev background on SA, some posting in this thread. Is there a (possibly solvable) reason why you are not contributing? Is it :effort:? Or more of a 'I don't want to do stuff in my free time thats like what I do at work' kind of thing? This isn't supposed to be some sort of shaming or something, I'm genuinely interested if there is anything I can do to get more developers onto Awful. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post answers here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

For the beta people: are you guys still getting crashes?
I haven't had crashes in a looong time.

quote:

Another thing I've wondered is, there are quite a few people with an Android dev background on SA, some posting in this thread. Is there a (possibly solvable) reason why you are not contributing? Is it :effort:? Or more of a 'I don't want to do stuff in my free time thats like what I do at work' kind of thing? This isn't supposed to be some sort of shaming or something, I'm genuinely interested if there is anything I can do to get more developers onto Awful. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post answers here.

If you can recommend a good resource for learning whatever it is I need to learn to do Android development (I'm a little familiar with Java), I'd be glad to pitch in if I ever find free time from school and TA work. As it is, I need something on my resume other than classes...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sereri posted:

So I'm a "professional" Android developer in the sense that I spent the last year making GBS threads out a terrible mobile banking app while working for a terrible mobile agency while our terrible management ignored us and then I quit. I switched to Something so that's at least part of the reason I've never touched this, but it's also just that I'm lazy.

I spent a few months making a WebView do things that nobody should ever make a WebView do (because "security") and other than that I'm fairly comfortable around front-end and activity/fragment stuff. I didn't do much work on networking or services but I could learn.

If you can suggest something specific that needs doing I could maybe take a look at it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sereri posted:

2) Find someone else who is nice enough (and maybe provides something vector based as well this time)
Post the icons that need replaced here and I'm sure someone will do it. Maybe even me.

Sereri posted:

Or more of a 'I don't want to do stuff in my free time thats like what I do at work' kind of thing?
That's it for me. I'm a "developer" at work (non-Android) and I've been meaning to get into Android development in my spare time and just can't bring myself to do it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Post the icons that need replaced here and I'm sure someone will do it. Maybe even me.
By the way, Something is also in need of a host of icons so it would be nice if we could get a whole list of things for which assets are needed.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
What's the difference between Something and Awful?

Is it something where we could just merge the two into some sort of MegaZord?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I seem to get one crash when swiping between screens (using the card stack animation, if it matters) the first time after applying a new theme, but I might just need to give the app a second to finish applying things before I go zooming around to see if I hosed anything up in the css edits. Far from a big deal though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ryanbruce posted:

What's the difference between Something and Awful?

Is it something where we could just merge the two into some sort of MegaZord?

What's the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Do you have a top 10 wishlist of difficult problems, or maybe a list of easier ones that are just time consuming that a relative newbie could maybe flesh out the framework on?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I keep meaning to fix my Android Studio install (I was using Awful to try it out) but I can never seem to find the time, that's my poor excuse. I need to make it happen

I wonder if the size of the project scares people away? My first impression was that it seems kinda sprawling, with a lot of interconnected classes (some of which are huge) sometimes with bits of functionality spread across several of them. Obviously it's kinda grown organically instead of being a tightly managed project, but it takes a fair bit of analysing and following code paths to work out what's happening where and what depends on what, what this callback is doing etc. Once you get the general idea it's fine, but there's a lot to learn before you can start poking around

(This might be true of most open source projects I don't know!)

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Sereri posted:

I'm interested, since it would be fun to work on something I actually use every day, but I know nothing about Android development or Java. I downloaded Android Studio and loaded up the project, but looking at it I think I would need to know at least the basics of Android apps before being able to do anything useful.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

I haven't had crashes in a looong time.
Good to hear, but this is what I was hoping for:

XIII posted:

I seem to get one crash when swiping between screens (using the card stack animation, if it matters) the first time after applying a new theme, but I might just need to give the app a second to finish applying things before I go zooming around to see if I hosed anything up in the css edits. Far from a big deal though.

Thank you, I've been getting that one some times but always when I'm not in reach of a computer and could never reliably reproduce it. The problem was that for some reason it crashes the crash reporter and the report I get, even on Google Play, is useless. Now I can take a look at it.

butt dickus posted:

It's basically all the icons in the app, apart from the launcher icon. I'll try to compile a list over the weekend.

pairofdimes posted:

I'm interested, since it would be fun to work on something I actually use every day, but I know nothing about Android development or Java. I downloaded Android Studio and loaded up the project, but looking at it I think I would need to know at least the basics of Android apps before being able to do anything useful.

hooah posted:

If you can recommend a good resource for learning whatever it is I need to learn to do Android development (I'm a little familiar with Java), I'd be glad to pitch in if I ever find free time from school and TA work. As it is, I need something on my resume other than classes...
Honestly I don't know, but the Android Thread in CoC has a few resources, maybe it'll help.

butt dickus posted:

That's it for me. I'm a "developer" at work (non-Android) and I've been meaning to get into Android development in my spare time and just can't bring myself to do it.

baka kaba posted:

I wonder if the size of the project scares people away? My first impression was that it seems kinda sprawling, with a lot of interconnected classes (some of which are huge) sometimes with bits of functionality spread across several of them. Obviously it's kinda grown organically instead of being a tightly managed project, but it takes a fair bit of analysing and following code paths to work out what's happening where and what depends on what, what this callback is doing etc. Once you get the general idea it's fine, but there's a lot to learn before you can start poking around

(This might be true of most open source projects I don't know!)
Yeah, I totally get both of those points. As for the second one, I'm not entirely sure how to effectively solve that. I guess documentation might help, or some JavaDoc for starters. A lot of stuff should be simplyfied, and I suspect there is quite a bit of dead code in the project.

Hadlock posted:

Do you have a top 10 wishlist of difficult problems, or maybe a list of easier ones that are just time consuming that a relative newbie could maybe flesh out the framework on?

Tunga posted:

So I'm a "professional" Android developer in the sense that I spent the last year making GBS threads out a terrible mobile banking app while working for a terrible mobile agency while our terrible management ignored us and then I quit. I switched to Something so that's at least part of the reason I've never touched this, but it's also just that I'm lazy.

I spent a few months making a WebView do things that nobody should ever make a WebView do (because "security") and other than that I'm fairly comfortable around front-end and activity/fragment stuff. I didn't do much work on networking or services but I could learn.

If you can suggest something specific that needs doing I could maybe take a look at it.

I'll need to fix a few things and then transfer my current beta build to a dev branch on the main repo. There are a few things I wanna do first like kill pre ICS support.
As for things in need of doing, the thread list not resetting when loading a new page/forum come to mind, I have that on my list for the next version (oh god I should update the github issues). And then there is the black box bug that still exists. Something doesn't seem to be doing it so there must be something Awful is doing wrong.
I appreciate the help.

I hope that covered everyone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

What's the difference between Coke and Pepsi?

It does kind of strike me as strange given the total user base for both that we have two good apps rather than one great one.

Is there even a thread for Something?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's in project.log.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can someone share their OLED optimized template? There used to be one but now there's only the dark template which still has a gray background.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I'm real happy with the Android app on my S4 but the app is draining my battery something awful

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Hadlock posted:

Can someone share their OLED optimized template? There used to be one but now there's only the dark template which still has a gray background.

I use the YOSPOS theme which has a completely black background.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Fwiw I switched back to awful app because I didn't like the something UI :kiddo:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I much prefer the Awful ui as well.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

spankmeister posted:

I much prefer the Awful ui as well.

Ditto.

Also, I missed the frog.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

haris pilton posted:

I'm real happy with the Android app on my S4 but the app is draining my battery something awful

Make sure that Gifs are turned off.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ditto.

Also, I missed the frog.

The frog is what I miss most on the iOS app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Mr.Radar posted:

I use the YOSPOS theme which has a completely black background.

That one we were all wrestling with a page ago was built for a Note 2.

This one here.