Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think anyone is playing well, honestly. There's just 2-3 people playing less lovely than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ghostpilot posted:

The Twinnies are more likeable when they're separated. Or maybe Natalie is the better twin!
The longer and longer Natalie outlasts Nadiya the weirder this gets

Terry Glenn posted:

Reid's penmanship is exquisite.
I noted this as well!

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
Ok, a long post to say this cast sucks. After listening to the RHAP summary, I thought about the comments they made about how bad this cast is compared to other seasons and Fishbach’s attempt to convince Rob that this season is not an outlier and that all seasons have a number of bad players. To be totally unfair, I compared this season to last seasons’ jury pool to see who was right. I matched each player up with their equivalent in terms of their role in the game and their gameplay and then did a head-to-head pick of who was better in terms of their skill in their particular role and their overall watchability.

To get the easy ones done: the hard playing strategists who are out to dominate the game, but with different amount of aggressiveness and insanity.

Tony = Jeremy Winner: Obviously Tony. Jeremy is not even on the same planet as Tony but he’s the closest we have to a Tony type player this season.

Spencer = Josh Winner: Obviously Spencer. Again, wildly different levels of ability but the closest we got.

Next, the two players who are less about Big Moves and more into building relationships. Both are skilled at building relationships but one had clashes with particular personalities that lowered their stock a bit as a pure relationship player.

Natalie = Tasha Winner: Tasha, she showed more ability and was more active in the game

Missy = Trish Winner: Trish, she wins by contributing more to the excitement of the show, Trish vs Lindsey >>> Missy vs Dale, Trish flipping Kass >>> Missy bringing in Baylor/Jaclyn

The toxic personalities, secondary strategist and Club Bland:

Alec = Kass Winner: Kass. Alec is just a jerk, Kass had more going for her while also delivering big time on the drama

Keith = Sarah Winner: Keith, I think he’s delivered more as the common man persona who clashes with people

Jaclyn = LJ Winner: LJ, Delivered on the second-tier strategy front more than Jaclyn’s flip flopping but Jaclyn could pull ahead here.

Jon = Jefra Winner: Jon, Bland second fiddles to stronger players, I’ll take Jon as he’s at least trying to play a bit although he’s no mastermind

Reid = Jeremy Winner: Reid I suppose but really there’s very little to go on here. Reed has made a couple of very small attempts to step up.

The ultimate coattail riders with no game of their own in any way:

Baylor = Woo Winner: Woo. Woo is miles ahead of Baylor in watchability while being perfect matches of being 100% under the thumb of a stronger player.

And finally, the two who are known only as particular body parts:

Wes’ Digestive System = Morgan’s Boobs Winner: Boobs, but it’s a difficult choice as a tribal council centered around fart etiquette was pretty great

So overall I would take the entirety of last season except for Sarah, Jefra and Jeremy who would be replaced by Keith, Jon and Reid. And if you take into account just how much better the individuals were last season, this year is just blown away even on the second tier and lower of players.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The biggest indictment of this season is there's not a single player I'd want to see come back for a second go round.

Ok, maybe Drew.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

EchoBase posted:

Jaclyn = LJ Winner: LJ, Delivered on the second-tier strategy front more than Jaclyn’s flip flopping but Jaclyn could pull ahead here.
I agreed with most of your post but I can't think of a single thing LJ did besides play an idol on Tony. At least Jaclyn has some influence on the game, she's in the Kass and Cochran v1 position right now, but has a lot more strength in her position while not being a complete goat.

Also I don't think it's really fair to compare half a season to a full season, especially one as insane as last season. I agree that this season wasn't cast very well but partly because there's so few people that you want to root for.

Jeremy seems like he's the only person trying right now,and it looks like there's going to be very little variance from here to final 7 barring some interesting idol play.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Shakugan posted:

Are we watching the same season? I found Josh to be super annoying, particularly because he was under the very wrong impression that he was playing a good game.

I don't know about that. He stands a good chance of winning the season if those three guys in his alliance don't totally poo poo on the one person whose vote they need the most.

His most questionable move was going with Baylor over Rocker, but even that was somewhat defensible as Rocker could have feasibly been 3x the toxic ally that Alec/Wes/Keith were in this episode.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
That was a fun episode :)

Can't believe Alec is just as ridiculously stupid as his brother, my god what a disaster of alliance management that was. Josh & Reed really failed big time too, a good survivor player would've either taken Jaclyn directly under their wing or made it crystal clear to their moron alliance mates why they need to play nice for a few tribals at least.

Also loved how blunt Keith was, he really just doesn't give a gently caress what people think about him he's gonna call it how he sees it. Trash talking Baylor right to Missy's face was great. I noticed Missy had no defense other than a feeble comparison to Keith/Wes which even she didn't seem to believe. Not a smart player, but a fun character at least. He does get a bit prickly where Wes is involved though, I sense a Keith meltdown if Wes ever comes under fire before Keith is gone.

edit: Missy not Misty.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I don't hate Jeremy, but him talking about the delicate women and how you need to be sensitive or whatever around them makes me want to fart in his face.

Excuse me, I am going to go fart in the bathroom which is a literal hole in the ground here in the jungle.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Smorgasbord posted:

Can't believe Alec is just as ridiculously stupid as his brother, my god what a disaster of alliance management that was. Josh & Reed really failed big time too, a good survivor player would've either taken Jaclyn directly under their wing or made it crystal clear to their moron alliance mates why they need to play nice for a few tribals at least.

I don't think that would have had much effect on Alec, given that after he called out Julie on the trail mix thing last week, he said something like "What? Someone needed to say it :downs:"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DaisyDanger posted:

I don't hate Jeremy, but him talking about the delicate women and how you need to be sensitive or whatever around them makes me want to fart in his face.

Excuse me, I am going to go fart in the bathroom which is a literal hole in the ground here in the jungle.

Yeah, that was something that stood out to me. Jeremy's attitude is easily as sexist as the rest, if not more so.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
^^^ Is it, though? He has been allied with pretty much every female in the game at some point. Is that really possible for somebody as sexist as Alec has been all game?

Lone Goat posted:

I don't think that would have had much effect on Alec, given that after he called out Julie on the trail mix thing last week, he said something like "What? Someone needed to say it :downs:"

Calling Julie out on the trail mix thing was an accidentally brilliant play. A member of their alliance -did- need to bite the bullet and make her feel publicly uncomfortable about it to push her closer to quitting.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 13, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Vernacular posted:

^^^ Is it, though? He has been allied with pretty much every female in the game at some point. Is that really possible for somebody as sexist as Alec has been all game?

Of course it is, he's sexist in a way that's far more insidious. Believing that women are delicate flowers who should be treated differently etc etc.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Shakugan posted:

Of course it is, he's sexist in a way that's far more insidious. Believing that women are delicate flowers who should be treated differently etc etc.

The guy who assumes that a woman will mindlessly follow whatever voting strategy her boyfriend prefers is less sexist than the guy who has somehow managed to foster positive relationships with every woman in the game. Got it.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Shakugan posted:

If only he were sexist in a less insidious way, by farting in front of them, and not having any respect for them.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Juanito posted:

If only he were sexist in a less insidious way, by farting in front of them, and not having any respect for them.

I know you're joking, but it's much easier to combat overt sexism like Alec is displaying than what Jeremy does. Precisely because the response is always "Jeremy is just going the extra mile to be polite!", "Jeremy is just being a gentleman". People don't want to acknowledge it as sexism, but it clearly is essentially by definition (given that it's an example of treating women differently/acting differently around women solely on the basis of their gender/reinforces gender stereotypes). That's why what Jeremy does is worse.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I really didn't understand why Jon was so concerned about Jeremy at Final3 (aside from Jon being an idiot of course). If he and Jaclyn are joining that alliance then what possible reason would they have for taking Jeremy through to the end? Everything about Jeremy screams 'eliminate me around final 5', why the hell would you be hung up on final tribal implications this far out when everyone in the alliance should know Jeremy shouldn't still be in at F3.

edit:

Shakugan posted:

I know you're joking, but it's much easier to combat overt sexism like Alec is displaying than what Jeremy does. Precisely because the response is always "Jeremy is just going the extra mile to be polite!", "Jeremy is just being a gentleman". People don't want to acknowledge it as sexism, but it clearly is essentially by definition (given that it's an example of treating women differently/acting differently around women solely on the basis of their gender/reinforces gender stereotypes). That's why what Jeremy does is worse.

You didn't actually explain how it's worse at all though. It's not Jeremy can relate to and interact with women in the way that a normal human being can regardless of his opinions on their delicate sensibilities, while Alec for example seems thoroughly incapable of treating a woman as his equal. Jeremy's old fashioned ideas are sexist, sure, but his attitude and behaviours can in no way be described as worse than Alec's from what we've seen.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 14, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Smorgasbord posted:

I really didn't understand why Jon was so concerned about Jeremy at Final3

Because Jon, like everyone else in the season, is really stupid. I suspect this was mentioned though (just not shown to make the tribal a "surprise") since something obviously made Jon come around.

Another thing that I thought was kind of funny that was never explicitly discussed was about Jon going to exile. Since everyone thought he was in their alliance, the mixed team were all ok sending him knowing he might get an idol.

Speaking of which, idols have been bullshit this season. Waaaay too easy to find. The clue for this one should have just been "there is an idol somewhere on exile, have fun".

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 14, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's really funny how concerned he is about somebody in the final 3 when there are 10 people left in the game. if only there were some way to prevent him from making it that far!!!!

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Vernacular posted:

Josh was very likable and played a good game (other than his complete lack of alliance management), but he was pretty much the only one in his tribe I felt that way about. Alec (ugh), Wes and Keith pretty much are net negatives, and it would be quite awful to have them in the drivers seat for the rest of the game. Speaking of which, I just can't believe how clueless those guys can be. How hard can it be to pinpoint the most important person in your alliance (Jaclyn) and 1) be nice and respectful to her, and 2) make her feel like she's an important part of the alliance/decision-making process. A simple "Hey Jaclyn, who do you want to see go home tonight?" probably would've done wonders.

This is what I was saying except I was specifically wondering why in the world Josh didn't do anything in regards to Jaclyn... and everyone responded by telling me what Josh did wrong in regards to Baylor. :psyduck:

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

TMMadman posted:

It was ok in the earlier seasons. The problem with crime procedurals is that they start to get repetitive fairly quickly and the longer arcs don't really hold up the show.

Plus, it gets harder and harder to suspend belief as every single case gets magically solved in a very short period of time. At some point, the genre has to die out. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't already since the market has been flooded with the various flavors of CSIs, NCISs, Law and Orders that are out there. At least Criminal Minds hasn't spawned a second show like the others.

There was Criminal Minds: Suspect Behaviour, which had one season.

I am kind of glad to see Josh go, his "you owe me Baylor!" was such bullshit, which is fine, but he seemed to believe it.

I think Jaclyn's line of argument to Jon might have gone something like "Since Jeremy has such a sympathetic final tribal argument I think it will be easier for us to get him out once the other side is gone and it's time for our alliance to fracture, and people are not likely to give Missy or Baylor the million either."

I hope Alec doesn't get dragged along as a goat, he's the most annoying to me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Incredible that people still believe in the winner's edit.

Baylor is obviously getting a winner's edit though? :confused:

Happy Seafood Guy
Oct 8, 2008

Shakugan posted:

Speaking of which, idols have been bullshit this season. Waaaay too easy to find. The clue for this one should have just been "there is an idol somewhere on exile, have fun".

That would be pretty great. Someone gets a clue to the idol, excitedly talks about how this is their ticket to a million dollars and all it says "Yep."

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
There are some real dunces this season. Has the guys alliance forgotten that everyone they're currently playing with will be on the jury to decide if they win? I guess they have forgotten, with the way they're treating people. I wonder if they all think the other guys are goats, but each of them is themselves a goat? I nominate "a herd of goats" as the new name for the guy alliance. That said, why is Baylor going along with being Alec's little sister? Why doesn't she just say "throw away your own trash, buddy?" Odd. She's trying too hard to be nice/fit in with the group/not make waves.

I loved Keith telling Missy that they were targeting Baylor. Amazing. Keith is the most entertaining player right now.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

quote:

She's trying too hard to be nice/fit in with the group/not make waves.

Factor Mystic posted:

There are some real dunces this season. Has the guys alliance forgotten that everyone they're currently playing with will be on the jury to decide if they win? I guess they have forgotten, with the way they're treating people.

:confused:

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Baylor is obviously getting a winner's edit though? :confused:

Don't you dare.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
next time on....survivor!

Baylor: i killed a rat ya'll.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Baylor gets a ton of screentime, but so did Josh and that went poorly.

Major characters: Baylor, Jeremy
Above average: Jon, Jaclyn, Missy
Average: Keith, Reed
Minor: Alec, Wes
0.0% chance of winning: Natalie

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

it's really funny how concerned he is about somebody in the final 3 when there are 10 people left in the game. if only there were some way to prevent him from making it that far!!!!

Yeah this was an insane back and forth.

Jon: "If we go with Jeremy [and the 3 other people in that alliance, one of which is a pair that would seemingly have reason to work with us], he's gonna beat us in the finals!"
Jaclyn confessional: "Jon wants to get rid of Jeremy because he thinks we'd lose in the final three to him...but, what if we don't?"

And at no point the idea of voting Jeremy out sometime between now and then was mentioned. I did enjoy when the sentence "Jon is thinking for the long term....which is STUPID." was spoken.

Taye Diggs
Aug 12, 2013

Holla at yo boy

Smorgasbord posted:

You didn't actually explain how it's worse at all though. It's not Jeremy can relate to and interact with women in the way that a normal human being can regardless of his opinions on their delicate sensibilities, while Alec for example seems thoroughly incapable of treating a woman as his equal. Jeremy's old fashioned ideas are sexist, sure, but his attitude and behaviours can in no way be described as worse than Alec's from what we've seen.

it's almost as if Shakugan is a total moron or something i dunno

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Regardless of my opinion on the matter, I think what Shakugan meant was that most people will be more tolerant of or even agree with Jeremy's sexism than Alec's and therefore it's a still a lovely yet not-so-obvious form of sexism. v:shobon:v

Would still fart in his face either way.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The whole farting conversation at tribal was pretty hilarious. I feel like Keith was right, they aren't at the Hilton and gas is just a natural thing, especially given the diet during the game. Plus it's not like they are in a confined space. Missy's shudder at the mention that everyone does it was priceless. I mean as long as someone isn't doing the whole Eddie Murphy Fart Game, then just let it go and don't think twice about it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

xbilkis posted:

Yeah this was an insane back and forth.

Jon: "If we go with Jeremy [and the 3 other people in that alliance, one of which is a pair that would seemingly have reason to work with us], he's gonna beat us in the finals!"
Jaclyn confessional: "Jon wants to get rid of Jeremy because he thinks we'd lose in the final three to him...but, what if we don't?"

And at no point the idea of voting Jeremy out sometime between now and then was mentioned. I did enjoy when the sentence "Jon is thinking for the long term....which is STUPID." was spoken.

You're wrong. Jon has said the worry about Jeremy is that he's strong and could win immunity challenges to get to F3. Just because he's not shown repeating the same thing 12 times like Tony and Wu did last season doesn't mean it is unimportant.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Baylor gets a ton of screentime, but so did Josh and that went poorly.

Major characters: Baylor, Jeremy
Above average: Jon, Jaclyn, Missy
Average: Keith, Reed
Minor: Alec, Wes
0.0% chance of winning: Natalie

Natalie's doing pretty well actually. Like when the Fart Alliance would say something insulting she'd turn to Jaclyn or Baylor and mutter "Can you believe he said that?" And there could be a Pagonging of the Farters, which would leave her well-positioned when they are gone and the game comes down to Missy + Baylor vs. Jon + Jaclyn.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was rooting for Josh, but I don't dislike Jeremy. I just dislike everyone Jeremy is playing with. It would be a crime to have a Missy/Baylor or Jaclyn/Jon win.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I hate everyone but Natalie, Jon, and Jaclyn. That said this is probably the overall least interesting cast ever. I hate Missy for dictating to Baylor and Baylor for accepting it, Keith for his constant spitting, Wes and Alec for their stupidity, Reed for not existing, and Jeremy for his attitude towards women.

Piell fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 14, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

I hate everyone but Natalie, Jon, and Jaclyn. That said this is probably the overall least interesting cast ever. I hate Missy for dictating to Baylor and Baylor for accepting it, Keith for his constant spitting, Wes and Alec for their stupidity, Reed for not existing, and Jeremy for his attitude towards women.

Jeremy's wife is a police officer so I don't think he believes they are 'delicate flowers', only that they should be treated as such in the context of the game.

Also hilarious that Parvati was amazing and entertaining because she would use men and toss them aside when no longer needed to advance her game, but Jeremy is terrible because he thinks women who are going to be on the jury should be treated with respect.
:wtf:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Binary Logic posted:

Jeremy's wife is a police officer so I don't think he believes they are 'delicate flowers', only that they should be treated as such in the context of the game.

Also hilarious that Parvati was amazing and entertaining because she would use men and toss them aside when no longer needed to advance her game, but Jeremy is terrible because he thinks women who are going to be on the jury should be treated with respect.

Except that's exactly how he was treating Val before she got voted out.

Piell fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 14, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TMMadman posted:

The whole farting conversation at tribal was pretty hilarious. I feel like Keith was right, they aren't at the Hilton and gas is just a natural thing, especially given the diet during the game. Plus it's not like they are in a confined space. Missy's shudder at the mention that everyone does it was priceless. I mean as long as someone isn't doing the whole Eddie Murphy Fart Game, then just let it go and don't think twice about it.

It's just a matter of the social game. Farting isn't a terrible sin. But if you notice that the people around you are grossed out or offended by it than you should stop or do it more discreetly. That sort of social adjustment is true in real life, it's doubly true in a game where annoying someone could mean the difference between winning a million dollars or not.

The farters are idiots because they have no concept they're playing a game and absolutely no a awareness of what to do. The farting subject is a funny example of that but it's the same basic issue as "Jon was gone off two days and none of you ever bothered to talk to Jaclyn." They're just idiots.

I'm pulling for Jeremy, Natalie, and Jaclyn in the F3. They seem like the smartest and most likable of who is left to me. At least Jaclyn seems to know when Jon is being an idiot and I do think Natalie is playing a strong under the radar game.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DaisyDanger posted:

Don't you dare.

The argument is going to be really easy for her to make at FTC

-I'm a cockroach that people kept trying to kill
-I stabbed my mom in the back at an opportune moment - you thought I was her puppet, and so did she, but I was just doing what I needed to get further with the people I needed to
-I'm still here

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

No one has an issue with Jeremy thinking the women who are going to be on the jury need respect. It's the broad generalization that "all women are delicate and farting around them is simply unacceptable" That's what rubbed me the wrong way. Also, if Parvati indicated that she treated men like that outside of Survivor, I would take issue with that, too. Kind of like how Russell used women in his strategies, but he has proven that he is a jackass on and off show.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The argument is going to be really easy for her to make at FTC

-I'm a cockroach that people kept trying to kill
-I stabbed my mom in the back at an opportune moment - you thought I was her puppet, and so did she, but I was just doing what I needed to get further with the people I needed to
-I'm still here

I could see her making it to the final 3, but I would hope her only odds of winning would be if she's up against Wes and Alec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

If Baylor makes it to the end, she's going to have a tough time getting votes from the goat herd because they think they're better than her (for some definition of "better" - smarter, stronger, strategizer, has-a-penis-ier). She's playing into that psychology by being their doormat. She's also playing into that psychology by the perception that she lays around and doesn't help out. It's not helping her game to do this, I think.

• Locked thread