Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Regy Rusty posted:

I love Tanooki Mario's pose where he turns into the statue.

Played both cups now and they're really great. The only course I don't care for is SNES Rainbow road. I even like the Excite Bike track way more than I thought I was going to.

They're also pretty hard (or I'm pretty rusty) so it's gonna be fun getting good again.

I was expecting to hate Excitebike, but it's over quickly enough, and the awesome music carries it along. I kinda got more than enough SNES Rainbow Road in MK7, and it really stands out like a sore thumb against every single other track, but at least it feels a little more manageable than before. It's as nervewracking as it ever was, which I guess makes for a fun, short race.

But yee to me, that's 6 out of 8 good-to-awesome tracks I won't be scoffing at when they're picked in multiplayer any time soon. I love how hosed up the Yoshi track's lines are, especially in a fast kart with poo poo handling. F-Zero is perfectly realized and might as well be F-Zero U if you keep your eyes on the horizon and not the Mario Karts. Rainbow Ice Ice Road 2.0 is probably my new favorite track.

Oh yea! And one of Link's quips has him saying "bullshit!" To go along with you-know-who saying you-know-what keeping it a hoot for all ages.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly kind of underwhelmed by the DLC. I mean, when it's good, it's really loving good, Mute City might seriously be my favorite track in the game, but SNES Rainbow Road has always sucked and the remix they did for it is bad as well, the Excite Bike crowd totally drowns out the awesome music, and I never really liked Yoshi's Circuit to begin with. Hyrule has a ton of great little touches but the actual track is pretty eh and the two original tracks (Dragon/Ice Ice Way) are good, but nothing mind-blowing.

I still think it was worth it, mind, but I'm disappointed in the actual quality of the tracks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's what's up

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 13, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

enojy posted:

That's what's up

I also like that every race has at least 5 Links

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Who are the fuckers that keep selecting Moo Moo Farm or whatever when the other 11 chose Mute City I mean COME ON

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Artix posted:

Honestly kind of underwhelmed by the DLC. I mean, when it's good, it's really loving good, Mute City might seriously be my favorite track in the game, but SNES Rainbow Road has always sucked and the remix they did for it is bad as well, the Excite Bike crowd totally drowns out the awesome music, and I never really liked Yoshi's Circuit to begin with. Hyrule has a ton of great little touches but the actual track is pretty eh and the two original tracks (Dragon/Ice Ice Way) are good, but nothing mind-blowing.

I still think it was worth it, mind, but I'm disappointed in the actual quality of the tracks.

This makes suffering SNES Rainbow Road a little better. Don't watch it at work please.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My only real complaint is that the multiplayer mode apparently won't ever give me an online grand prix "4 races against strangers with rankings" system.

Quick races against randoms just gets dull, for me. And the tournament menu is such a labyrinth and a crapshoot of finding people playing in one place along with non-weird settings.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like everything about Tanooki Mario.

Also, I'm really disappointed about the lack of stamps. I have no reason to do the time trials for these new tracks other than to practice the shortcuts. Stamps are cool.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The ice/antartica themed stage in the triforce cup sucks. It's boring as hell. Which is a shame when all the other tracks are pretty awesome.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ohhh that's a sneaky trick they did with that part of Wario's Gold Mine with the mine carts.

In this version you want to collide with them, because it's an antigrav section

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Holy gently caress the F-Zero kart with the like monster truck tires :lol:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The ice/antartica themed stage in the triforce cup sucks. It's boring as hell. Which is a shame when all the other tracks are pretty awesome.

I like it. The intertwining tracks are a fun gimmick

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every new track is good. Link is good.

Ice Ice Outpost and Dragon Driftway are really excellent if you like endlessly curvy tracks to drift on. Luckily I do!

Mute City is such a joy to play. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole three laps. Wario's Gold Mine is good, but Yoshi's Circuit is hard!!!!! Some of those curves are killer. SNES Rainbow Road is boring. Hyrule Circuit is ok I guess, the "puzzle" is cool but it's pretty plain otherwise.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

What's this about a puzzle in Hyrule Circuit? I've done that track twice now and I'm not seeing it, what should I be looking for?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
If the three pillars on the antigrav stairwell are hit (it doesn't have to be by you specifically), the Zelda jingle plays and a boost ramp appears in front of the Master Sword, which you can jump right through for a shortcut and to make another Zelda sound.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just 2-starred the Egg Cup and 3-starred the Triforce Cup on my first try! And I would have 3-starred Egg Cup too if Wario didn't use a shortcut on Mute City and snatch victory away from me at the last second. :arghfist::saddowns:

I used Luigi with the Pipe Frame, Triforce Tyres, and Waddle Glider for this since I figured I should try out the some of the new DLC stuff. I think the Triforce Tyres have the same stats as the Slim tires which is good because Mario Kart 8's Slim Tires look rather ugly to me aesthetically.

SNES Rainbow Road is as fun as ever, and I'm glad my combo emphasizes Speed and Handling.

SNES Rainbow Road and Excitebike must be the only courses where you don't get any air or gravity or water or whatever, unless I'm missing another of those DLC courses. Just pure no-holds barred MK driving.

Also, Mute City owns, despite my 3-star being snatched away so easily!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Link owns, the Blue Falcon and Mastercycle own, the new tracks owns, everything about this DLC is pure win.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
none of the 30 or so goons in my Friend's list are on. What is this madness?

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
Jumped straight into online after not playing in a long time. I was worried about SNES Rainbow Road handling 12 racers but they made it wider and I'm kinda disappointed because I think it would be funny to see everyone bumping each other off the track at the end with the two thwomps.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
All you Links think you can place first just because it's Hyrule? Too bad. Waluigi time.

DLC owns bones and I'm glad to see the SNES Rainbow Road is far less aggravating than it was back on SNES. Maybe it's because the computer is no longer immune to the Thwomps or being run off the road. SNES Mario Kart... :argh:

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
Ahhh I just got 3 stars on Egg Cup on my first try. Feels good man.
Looking back I still need to 3 star two of the old Mirror cups as well. Thanks, Past Me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Mute City because it's incredibly easy to get 10 coins immediately, and also because the computer players never hit all the boosts so I can catch up to them really fast.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

njsykora posted:

Eponator is inside drift yeah, which broke me as I can't use those at all.

Yessssss. It is Link on the Epona bike time!

Why couldn't we use any of the much funnier foreign names for the Master Cycle? German gets to call it the Eponator, for Chrissake.

Inside drift took a long time to get used to but now I can't go back, especially with heavy characters. It's just so fun to fly around turns at top speed as a big fat turtle. :D

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Silver Falcon posted:

Yessssss. It is Link on the Epona bike time!

Why couldn't we use any of the much funnier foreign names for the Master Cycle? German gets to call it the Eponator, for Chrissake.

Inside drift took a long time to get used to but now I can't go back, especially with heavy characters. It's just so fun to fly around turns at top speed as a big fat turtle. :D

And in Dutch it is apparently the Triforcer. Honestly all three of those names are pretty great. The other names are slightly less cool, like in japan it's called Doki Doki Masterbike.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HJE-Cobra posted:

And in Dutch it is apparently the Triforcer. Honestly all three of those names are pretty great. The other names are slightly less cool, like in japan it's called Doki Doki Masterbike.

NOA!!! :argh:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Online multiplayer is so hosed up. Between scoffing at the occasional player for firehopping and getting hit with 5 items in a row and finishing 3rd but actually coming in 7th... every once in a while, items work out in your favor, and you get a Bullet Bill in the last two turns in the third lap of SNES Rainbow Road, and jump 5 or 6 places for a 1st place finish while knocking everyone else off the track.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

enojy posted:

finishing 3rd but actually coming in 7th...

Sounds like your internet needs to git gud.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anyone know why the voice chat might suddenly stop working? I've been playing online with my brother but after a couple of races we stopped being able to hear each other despite both mics being on. Creating a new lobby didn't fix it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm not sure why everyone thinks Ice Ice Outpost is so great. I mean it's alright, I like it, I don't think it's a bad track, but I can't understand why people are saying it's their favorite or the best in a pack with Mute City and Dragon Driftway.

I still don't like that one section of Yoshi Circuit, even back in Double Dash I didn't like it. You all know what I'm talking about.

night slime
May 14, 2014

enojy posted:

Oh poo poo, Link's a heavy, sharing stats with Roy and Waluigi. Was not expecting that. Still, no reason to play as anybody but Roy.

Roy is the main character of Mario Kart 8

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Ice Ice Outpost is so great. I mean it's alright, I like it, I don't think it's a bad track, but I can't understand why people are saying it's their favorite or the best in a pack with Mute City and Dragon Driftway.

I still don't like that one section of Yoshi Circuit, even back in Double Dash I didn't like it. You all know what I'm talking about.

Agreed. If your favorite track isn't either Mute City or Bowser's Castle, I don't know what to say to you.

Ice Ice Outpost is alright. I like the dual paths that interweave but I wouldn't say it's outstanding.

Excite Bike's theme should be in Smash.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Can someone explain or post a guide about bikes? I've spent a couple days playing with bikes and I just don't get them. I do a lot better with karts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Can someone explain or post a guide about bikes? I've spent a couple days playing with bikes and I just don't get them. I do a lot better with karts.

There's two types of bikes. The normal kind that work like the karts and were designed correctly, and the stupid bullshit garbage kind that some idiot moron designed to drift wrong and should be deleted from the game

edit: Sadly, the new Zelda bike is the lovely kind

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 14, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://vine.co/v/OiLBVuTvhUI

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand the hate for sports bikes. It's like rubbing your face on a cheese grater for the first hour or two getting used to them but after that they are far more enjoyable to use over regular karts and bikes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Macaluso posted:

There's two types of bikes. The normal kind that work like the karts and were designed correctly, and the stupid bullshit garbage kind that some idiot moron designed to drift wrong and should be deleted from the game

edit: Sadly, the new Zelda bike is the lovely kind

So based on this, I'm assuming the bikes that handle a single turn really well but completely flop around on courses with multiple turns in a row (in other words, every course) are the retarded kind?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My girlfriend exclusively rides inside-drifting bikes and mops the floor with scrubs online :shobon:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Crawfish posted:

I don't understand the hate for sports bikes. It's like rubbing your face on a cheese grater for the first hour or two getting used to them but after that they are far more enjoyable to use over regular karts and bikes.

I don't like them.

RyokoTK posted:

So based on this, I'm assuming the bikes that handle a single turn really well but completely flop around on courses with multiple turns in a row (in other words, every course) are the retarded kind?

Yes. You can tell the difference on the vehicle select screen because the two types have different silhouettes. Look at the Yoshi bike - all the bikes with that silhouette are the garbage ones you should never use.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My girlfriend exclusively rides inside-drifting bikes and mops the floor with scrubs online :shobon:

I used to do that, then I transitioned back to karts and am very happy with the actual customization options that exist.
Why do all inside bikes have to have the same stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I use the inside drift bikes, the drift takes a second before letting you turn properly so you basically have to drift a bit earlier than you need and kinda pull out so you stay in a straight line before the turn.
I really like the inside drift bikes, they're not as good as they were in MKWii but I still enjoy how they let you shave off the corners

• Locked thread