Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
burritos didnt exist in dom3, so no it was not strong then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Burritos has excellent mages for mid and late game shenanigans but yeah compared to most other EA nations they're pretty lackluster. The fact that none of their sailing guys can actually carry Colossi is probably not a huge concern but makes me snigger none the less.

If through clever diplomacy and sheer luck Burritos manages to survive the mad EA early game of insane pony bless rushes then they have good enough mages and paths to be able to put forward a strong showing, its just the surviving the initial mad bless rushes that characterize EA that is the tricky bit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
More news from the never-ending battlefields of Turkish Delight:

Behold the power of one wizard, resisting multiple assassinations and mind attacks. The best part is, after flooding 3 of Neruz' empoisoners with phantasmal warriors out of sheer contempt (he was scripted to do something else, but apparently the AI decided a lone mage wasn't dangerous enough for those spells), then he proceeds to just bonk the other two assassin-mages over the head with his staff. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh Turkish is finally back? Pity, I thought it had died for good.

Fuuuck I can't bring myself to do another turn for that godawful game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Oh Turkish is finally back? Pity, I thought it had died for good.

Fuuuck I can't bring myself to do another turn for that godawful game.

Challenge: Put all of your empoisoners in my cap, let them and my pretender duke it out. You can do it!

Sure, this turn five assassins got killed with ease, but I'm sure with more (expensive) equipment, this will turn things around!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah I don't care, I wish I did but I don't.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Neruz posted:

Most Astral\Blood nations have very weak early games which is why any sane player seeks to obliterate all Astral\Blood nations during the early game because if they hit the lategame they tend to just win by default. With Send Horror bugged to send 2 horrors per cast instead of 1 and still being way too fuckin cheap for what it does once an Astral\Blood nation gets their research done the game is basically over unless there happens to be another Astral\Blood nation around; in which case you get horror fights.
Speaking of horror fights, I once saw 'send lesser horror' send two horror manti (one commander, one not). In the first round, the commander attacked and killed off the other one, then got to work on the enemy.

I know horrors are supposed to attack everything on the battlefield, so that must extend to other horros too?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Yeah I don't care, I wish I did but I don't.

You're turning boring, Neruz. :nsamad:

But joking aside, I can understand if this is getting painful to you. So if you want to accept the Elves of Eriu as your lords and masters, I would gracefully accept. :smug:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

immolationsex posted:

Speaking of horror fights, I once saw 'send lesser horror' send two horror manti (one commander, one not). In the first round, the commander attacked and killed off the other one, then got to work on the enemy.

I know horrors are supposed to attack everything on the battlefield, so that must extend to other horros too?

That bug has been supposedly fixed in this patch.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

You're turning boring, Neruz. :nsamad:

But joking aside, I can understand if this is getting painful to you. So if you want to accept the Elves of Eriu as your lords and masters, I would gracefully accept. :smug:

I bet Arco has something to say about that.

edit: By the way there's no password on C'tis so if you want to set them AI go ahead and do that. The odds of getting a replacement seem pretty low.

immolationsex posted:

That was actually changed with the latest patch; horrors wont fight amongst themselves anymore. Because horrors needed buffing :negative:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

edit: By the way there's no password on C'tis so if you want to set them AI go ahead and do that. The odds of getting a replacement seem pretty low.

Can I write an in-game message to everyone when I set you AI? :v:

Edit:

Just for flavour.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

That was actually changed with the latest patch; horrors wont fight amongst themselves anymore. Because horrors needed buffing :negative:

And they didn't fix the spell so you are still getting 2 horrors per cast but now they are friendly with eachother :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

I've fullfilled your wish. By the way, how is it you had close to half the map and only about twice my income? Were all your lands poo poo or did you kill most of your population or what?? Next to your lands I'm tiny!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

I've fullfilled your wish. By the way, how is it you had close to half the map and only about twice my income? Were all your lands poo poo or did you kill most of your population or what?? Next to your lands I'm tiny!

Death Scales.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ChickenWing posted:

Turkish Delight is FINALLY GODDAMN OVER after 133 turns of bullshit with a joint Arco/Machaka win.

Writeup in the PGS thread.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
PGS thread?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RBA-Wintrow posted:

PGS thread?

Private Game Servers. It's here.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

New EA Game #nomodscrew

Standard everything, map tbd, 14 PPP.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or the PGS thread, but does anybody actually want to keep playing in Benchu? It seems like the only people playing now are me (Patala), Midgard, Pythium and Man and of those Pythium just threw in the towel, which I don't really blame him for.

I've been enjoying the game but at this point all of my neighbours are either AI (Pangaea, Ulm, Lemuria and Ragha) or they're just perpetually staling (Jomon, Agartha). The one exception is Man, who I have been enjoying fighting, at least.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 12, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A joint win? What is this world coming to?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've decided to make my own report on Turkish Delight: The War That Never Ended.

For ChickenWings write-up, see here.

The last battle before the game ends. Two mages, two priests and some random chaff versus 49 mages and a pretender. Also almost twice as much chaff lost. I tried to make a recording of this immense battle, but thanks to Neruz' army spamming skeletons like mad and my army spamming elementals, then something like 800+ assorted fake monsters (phantasms, ghost wolves, false horrors), the frame slowly dropped throughout the battle and finally, after it dropped below 5 fps, I gave up and just made some screenshots.

Looks like the AI is pretty mad about losing their god. Sadly, since Neruz has gone AI, this war is pretty much over. With this army, the last larger force of C'tis is destroyed. Reserves can now rush down to destroy the raiding force sitting on one of my minor forts in the south and my main army can effortlessly take back all the forts and thrones in the north.

As you can see, if the game would have continued, my main army would have retaken my second throne in 1-2 turns. The smaller force following me is on clean-up duty and some random priests follow them again to rebuild temples. All very efficient and stuff.

Also you may notice looking at that map why I thought continuing the game was just a bad decision. Turns out there's a dastardly third party strong enough to prevent me from just eating C'tis until I win! poo poo! :shepface:

In the south, things are mostly calm thanks to Machaka doing something else after eating Abysia and LordSloth chain-stalling. Without a human trying to contest the waters, my rising number of hydromancers would have swamped the few C'tis-thugs left under water pretty fast. Then they would have been alone after ChickenWing completely obliterated all elves on land. :v:

My gem-income. You may notice it is mostly air and nothing else. But after seeing army after army torn apart by thunderstrikes and air elementals, I can honestly say I didn't need much else. Maybe not a 50-60 turn war with a power three times my size and with two times my income but hell, it was a good war. And it's pretty funny how I destroyed one skelespam-army after another and slowly pushed back against someone holding half the map hostage at that point. :D

My proud pretender. He lead my armies deep into Abysia (until the ceasefire), plagued C'tis with phantasmal armies, forging high-end unique magic items and having a shitload of research.

His best moment was the turn where he resisted three mental attacks and five assassinations. Five dead assassin-mages in a single turn. He spend all his gems on the first three, then just walked over and smashed the other two guys head in with his staff. Impressive.

In a re-do, I would most likely try to give him a little bit more earth for a better reinvig-bless (saved my elven mages again and again) and more nature for better anti-disease options in forging and more hp for my elves. Air was OK for the globals I wanted to cast. Funny thing though, another air mage cast my most important global. And the fire paths were completely wasted, considering he never even tried casting living fire to burninate his assassins. He considered his attackers so beneath his contempt, he immediately went off script and casted whatever he wanted.

Oh wait, I almost forgot: The fire paths allowed him to forge a magic lamp so I could get a powerful djinn. But still not enough to justify taking fire for a game lasting 133 turns.

The final battle after almost everything inside the fort was dead. At the point the framerate dropped below 5, I counted about 800 fake things on the battlefield, completely immobilising Neruz' pretender. Of course my air mages continued to summon more poo poo, thanks to my nature-mages spamming Soothing Song. (They never fully capped out.) C'tis mages didn't have a line of dozens of nature mages protecting them and didn't have a earth-bless giving them more reinvigoration, so they just got slowly ground down.

On the other hand, 49 death mages spammed enough skeletons my elemental spam only destroyed about half his army before the last elemental died.

This was shortly before I gave up trying to record this poo poo. C'tis still has some scorpion dudes. (The single mage is running away very slowly, due to capping out his fatigue every other turn.)

Also the pretender is still alive at this point, fatigued up to the brim, immobile, but still healthy thanks to regeneration.

As you can see though, only my phantoms are actually still fighting. And some Tuatha who berserked himself. Weird. Further recording beyond this was not possible, because my mages continued to summon poo poo, making the framerate drop lower and lower with every turn.

Here's my cat, bored out of her mind by me doing all this.

Edit:

I forgot two more things:

-Super-Air mage Caemgen, marked in the second map screenshot above, who was the one casting (and upholding) my Gale Gate the entire game. Most of his time he spend leading a raiding-force all accross C'tis, starting in the south, crossing into old Man-territory (occupied by C'tis), then back into my own territory, where I finally sneaked him away from the front. Neruz apparently never noticed he could have obliterated my gem-income, had he just stopped that raiding force from running away.

-At one point ChickenWing wished for a air queen. Since all queens were alive, but already summoned, the wish randomly snatched one of the three in play. The wish took my air queen, fully outfitted and loaded with gems, transported it to his fort and then let her obliterate his PD and start a siege.

Luckily I could negotiate a path back and three turns later she was back and joined my main force for a last series of battles against the vile C'tis-invader.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 13, 2014

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mu. posted:

I wasn't sure whether to ask this here or the PGS thread, but does anybody actually want to keep playing in Benchu? It seems like the only people playing now are me (Patala), Midgard, Pythium and Man and of those Pythium just threw in the towel, which I don't really blame him for.

I've been enjoying the game but at this point all of my neighbours are either AI (Pangaea, Ulm, Lemuria and Ragha) or they're just perpetually staling (Jomon, Agartha). The one exception is Man, who I have been enjoying fighting, at least.

Pythium gave up? That's news to me, Midgard.

But yeah. I'm in no position to win at this point, as I've been reduced down to three or four provinces multiple times. I'm just fighting because I really enjoy playing Midgard and have so little left that turns take 10 minutes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Your stupid pretender casting Rain didn't help either. God I hate that spell worse than I hate vine shields at this point. :tizzy:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Morrow posted:

Noble Pythium sent me 300 gems this turn as a farewell gift.

edit: I'm going to empower up and cast eyes of God next turn and see how things look~

Mu. fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 13, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mu. posted:

Noble Pythium sent me 300 gems this turn as a farewell gift.

Ah yes the old 'you killed me now I'm giving your enemy the resources to kill you' tactic. Brutal but effective.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The Best Strategy.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Seeing as Patala and I barely share a border, not really.

For the record, Pythium's strategy has been:
1) Raise an army of ~150 legionaires
2) March army into my territory
3) ???
4) Profit!*

*Profit, now, being mass murder via t-strike spam.

This cycle is now on its sixth iteration. I am actually bored with it. I would much prefer having to kill 300 gems worth of leogryphs.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

So in the space of two turns in noobgame I let about 100 units die of starvation while my hated enemy lanka killed all of his communion mages in a single fight with one of my 5 armies. We're our own worst enemies in noobgame.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nanomashoes posted:

So in the space of two turns in noobgame I let about 100 units die of starvation while my hated enemy lanka killed all of his communion mages in a single fight with one of my 5 armies. We're our own worst enemies in noobgame.

Actually, that was my plan. 80 gold rakpatas lol who gives a flying gently caress. Just give em a blood slave and send off to die.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Friendly Tumour posted:

Actually, that was my plan. 80 gold rakpatas lol who gives a flying gently caress. Just give em a blood slave and send off to die.

Your monstrous violations of ethics in games journalism are why you must be purged from the continent.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Keep sending those armies of mooks against me, I'll just turn em into soulless and send them back to you.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Friendly Tumour posted:

Keep sending those armies of mooks against me, I'll just turn em into soulless and send them back to you.

I'll drown them in double the mooks. Eventually they'll reach their kill limit and shut down.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

Morrow posted:

But yeah. I'm in no position to win at this point, as I've been reduced down to three or four provinces multiple times. I'm just fighting because I really enjoy playing Midgard and have so little left that turns take 10 minutes.

Yeah, I didn't give up but Benchu isn't terribly fun the way it's going. It's kind of stalemate where I continually churn out small armies of faux-romans that get blown up by cheesy skinshifting wolf-people. I suppose I should build up hundreds of gems and slowly research some kind of ultimate spell, I guess? I don't know, I feel like I don't have a good handle on the magic system which seems to be 90% of the strategy. Patala seemed willing to actually cast some cool globals so I was hoping that feeding him gems would make something interesting happen. It only takes 5 min or less to play a turn though, so I didn't want to give up and go AI like all the rest.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Malcolm posted:

Yeah, I didn't give up but Benchu isn't terribly fun the way it's going. It's kind of stalemate where I continually churn out small armies of faux-romans that get blown up by cheesy skinshifting wolf-people. I suppose I should build up hundreds of gems and slowly research some kind of ultimate spell, I guess? I don't know, I feel like I don't have a good handle on the magic system which seems to be 90% of the strategy. Patala seemed willing to actually cast some cool globals so I was hoping that feeding him gems would make something interesting happen. It only takes 5 min or less to play a turn though, so I didn't want to give up and go AI like all the rest.

Try 99.9.

If you have questions, pester everyone in irc. The solution to skinshifters is either long weapons (pikes) or hella magic. It sounds like you're in the market for hella magic. You don't just want the big world-dooming spells - a couple clutch evocations, an earthquake trap, any fun stuff like that would do the trick.

LA pyth also has theurgs, which can communion, which means you can get one dude to cast light of the northern star and have the rest of your dudes casting stellar cascades, which is the single best "gently caress troop-centric strategies" spell there is.

Alternatively, summon cool dudes to kill warewufls with.

Alternatively, use your renatii for skelespam.

Alternatively, use your D2 renatii for shadow blasts.

Lots of options, and we'll all be happy to help you.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Skinshifters die to crossbows since fur is lovely armor. Samething with Garmhirdings for Jotunheim

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Skinshifters die to crossbows since fur is lovely armor. Samething with Garmhirdings for Jotunheim

Mist+storm vastly reduces the efficacy of xbows vs skins, particularly if they employ many smaller squads. I don't remember who I was playing against but I was losing with 300xbows vs a lower gold value worth of skins with that spell combo and good squad placement. Made me pull out mages.

Later they get arrow fend and it's even worse.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the tips, I'm a definite newb and my magic casting as LA Pythium is nothing special. It was actually my arch nemesis Midgard that suggested I cast Foul Vapors (poison on battlefield) and Poison Ward to get work done. I had early success with javelins vs skinshifters, but once he developed Thunderstrike I started seriously getting my rear end kicked. Still, with Luck 3 Magic 3 scales I may be able to hold out for a long time... longer than Benchu deserves to go as an AI heavy newbie game.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
LA Pythium is a very difficult nation to play because you really have to know how to dance around the system to deal with their "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" approach to magic paths. Similarly, their infantry are great but are setup to fail after about Turn 20 or so, so you really have to be gunning for specific answers to the nations you border, and that changes in every game.

Death by Thunderstrike is a very common end to LA Pythium for these reasons.

The nation isn't as bad as its made out to be, but it's definitely not intuitive and even played well, it's still just 'okay'.

I would recommend nations like EA Vanheim, MA Vanheim and LA Midgard for a new player. They are very straightforward, strong, and they give you a chance to learn the basics and incorporate battle magic at a basic level. There's also plenty of room for depth with them because they are Good Nations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
A game you don't care about?

Don't know the magic system well enough?

Sounds like the perfect recipe to gently caress around and learn.

One game I just hired hundreds of chaff commanders and equipped them with special long range equipment and watched what happened. Try that! Or see what hijinks we can do with a thin screen of chaff, some boosters, a handful of gems and a suicide rush! Hell, alchemize gems and empower a promising mage. Cast apocalyptic poo poo and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's only going to be one winner per game (barring disciples of course) so you might as well gently caress around if you don't think you're going to be a top contender. you should do everything in your power to trash people who are trying to invade you and then use what you learn for future games so that you can maybe enact it on a smaller + more efficient scale. people who go AI at the first bad sign really shouldn't join games because it fucks it up for everyone else.

• Locked thread