Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the pub landlord thing is... Clearly Al Murray is a relatively thoughtful individual but the Pub Landlord character seems to have gone past ironic a long time ago.

Still it's made him a rich man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Id never heard of it either, there is an episode on youtube, the first one I think which i watched some of and ... I dont believe him that its a character. The show if you can bear 5 minutes of it is this man basically taking the piss out of some guy and trying to do a lad make over on him so he can talk t women. Its clearly a cross between full on lad'ism and laugh at the saddo man.

e: conveniance link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO1n70znXGA every bit as horrible as you can imagine and not the slightest bit funny, its just him and some lad mates taking the piss out of a man, and its just him, if that is a character then i dont think he has a future in comedic acting.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 13, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Was it Kurt Vonnegut who said we are who we pretend to be? In a similar vein I feel like the Caitlin Moran tweet on this subject says it all really.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
I forget who it was said it first, but Kermode said it on his podcast a while ago about jokey misogyny in films (I think he was reviewing one of the Hangover ones): post-modern irony means never having to say you're sorry.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Stottie Kyek posted:

I forget who it was said it first, but Kermode said it on his podcast a while ago about jokey misogyny in films (I think he was reviewing one of the Hangover ones): post-modern irony means never having to say you're sorry.

That's a good line.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

If you play the fool for long enough eventually you'll find yourself surrounded by fools who think they have found good company.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

If you play the fool for long enough eventually you'll find yourself surrounded by fools who think they have found good company.

trolling, not even once

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

jabby posted:

Sucrose is 50/50 fructose/glucose.

So on the face of it there is not a huge amount of difference. Which type of sugar is worse for you (glucose or fructose) depends who you ask. In truth the amount matters a lot more than they type of sugar though. Whether it comes from fruit or sucrose or HFCS, we all eat way too much simple carbohydrates.

Actually no. Sucrose is a distinct compound of it's own.
It's a glucose and a fructose bonded together with an oxygen.
It's a disaccharide whereas glucose and fructose are monosaccharides.

Again sucrose is functionally the same as glucose and fructose because the body can breaks up that bond pretty easily and does that in the intestines, before it enters the bloodstream that is.

Also Inverted sugar syrup is sucrose that has been partially broken down into it's constituents, and is real good for baking since it doesnt crystallize as readily. :eng101:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

YouGov has done a poll about Russell Brand; good news for everyone who doesn't like him, most people agree with you!

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...campaign=buffer

I think I can understand why the overwhelming negativity amongst the sample given that the sort of atmosphere here is probably some of the most receptive groups to what he says and most of us still don't like him. I imagine if he became a little more coherent or gave some some support to a group with a proposed plan a lot of that would fade away but eh.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
Brand is just an all-round poor communicator. He speaks frantically, disorganised and uses words pretentiously like he borrowed them out of the thesaurus.

Maybe he's right about some of the issues going on at the moment, but he certainly isn't a good figurehead for any kind of mass movement.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Brand is just an all-round poor communicator. He speaks frantically, disorganised and uses words pretentiously like he borrowed them out of the thesaurus.

I've always enjoyed the way he speaks, I think he's a pretty good communicator tbh. The semi-improvised, loose style makes him seem more spontaneous in what he says and therefore more honest.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Looking at the crossbreaks, it seems that women dislike Brand less than men (41% or 51%) which is completely opposite what I would have expected, which is pretty interesting... Its based off around 1000 people for each group as well, so it isn't a completely useless number!

I think that Brand is a total cock, but cocks can be right about some issues. The problem is that from what I've seen of him, he says a load of words that sound radical and revolutionary, but don't really seem to mean anything. I do think that its funny that a large number of Americans think that he's some amazing person who can do no wrong, which is obviously ridiculous...

Something I never thought that I'd say: ITV spent half an hour looking at various feminist groups in a very positive way. Perhaps its something that they felt that they had to do after the events of the past week, but its always nice to see. Nothing particularly radical admittedly, but the idea that feminism = gender equality is radical for a worryingly large number of people, so perhaps I'm wrong...

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I've always enjoyed the way he speaks, I think he's a pretty good communicator tbh. The semi-improvised, loose style makes him seem more spontaneous in what he says and therefore more honest.

I think whoever described him talking as someone not particularly bright imitating what they think a smart person sounds like was on the whole pretty accurate.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
He's just a poor imitation of Will Self.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

IceAgeComing posted:

I do think that its funny that a large number of Americans think that he's some amazing person who can do no wrong, which is obviously ridiculous...

Being a Brit over here is basically a minor superpower, I play up the accent in restaurants or what have you, service becomes amazing. And they went crazy about the Royal Wedding almost as much as Britain did.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

Being a Brit over here is basically a minor superpower, I play up the accent in restaurants or what have you, service becomes amazing. And they went crazy about the Royal Wedding almost as much as Britain did.

american girls loving love doctor who it's the strangest thing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mister Adequate posted:

That part of love actually was not wrong in the least

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Last time I was there they asked me who the president of Scotland was.

I told them it was Sean Connery and everyone nodded knowingly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Last time I was there they asked me who the president of Scotland was.

I told them it was Sean Connery and everyone nodded knowingly.

Were you speaking with a Scottish accent?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Private Eye posted:

He's just a poor imitation of Will Self.

Which is hilarious given how much of a pseudointellectual self is.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

Were you speaking with a Scottish accent?

By that time I had lost all trace of what I sounded like before I moved here, so yes.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

By that time I had lost all trace of what I sounded like before I moved here, so yes.

I can respect that. Two years in a foreign land changes a man.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

Yeah the pub landlord thing is... Clearly Al Murray is a relatively thoughtful individual but the Pub Landlord character seems to have gone past ironic a long time ago.

Still it's made him a rich man.

He's apparently quite frustrated in how he's taken the character from a pretty well-observed pastiche to the most ridiculously overblown one-note character and he's only got more popular. Like you say though it's making him rich (and I suspect it's a massively fun character to play) and he's clever enough not to let it get too... Clarkson-y for want of a better term.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Are many other posters seeing their more gullible facebook friends getting outraged over 25% of their taxes going onto scroungers, thanks to the letters the government have been sending out?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

No because I seem to be facebook friends with my family, about 8 real life people I know and the entire UK Trot left.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Squalitude posted:

Are many other posters seeing their more gullible facebook friends getting outraged over 25% of their taxes going onto scroungers, thanks to the letters the government have been sending out?

My mum was more annoyed about the money going to the EU for some reason. I'm pretty sure she's not a ukipper - she's not at all bothered about immigration but I think maybe something to do with the EU and fishing quotas? God knows.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pissflaps posted:

I can respect that. Two years in a foreign land changes a man.

It's been five, and I'm only 23. Stop misrepresenting me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Russia and America in one summer? You get around.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
gently caress off, Pissflaps.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's apparently quite frustrated in how he's taken the character from a pretty well-observed pastiche to the most ridiculously overblown one-note character and he's only got more popular. Like you say though it's making him rich (and I suspect it's a massively fun character to play) and he's clever enough not to let it get too... Clarkson-y for want of a better term.

P sure that a good proportion of the audience isn't in on the joke. As for fun, read Harry hill's interview about TV burp. Harry hated that show.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Burqa King posted:

P sure that a good proportion of the audience isn't in on the joke. As for fun, read Harry hill's interview about TV burp. Harry hated that show.

Could you link to this interview? I find that difficult to believe.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
After watching dapper laughs the satire excuse is either bollocks or he doesn't understand satire. The jokes don't come at the character's expense, it's all at other people's expense.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Laughing at people rather than with them is the worst.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Could you link to this interview? I find that difficult to believe.

It was in the guardian a few months ago. It was a bit of a hatchet job tbf so who knows

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Burqa King posted:

Well I can understand that, it's almost the exact opposite of everything else he;d done, formulaic and repetitive, and ITV repeatedly tried to kill it when it was interesting and then flogged it into the ground when it became a dark horse hit. I can imagine that pissing someone off.

Also Al Murray's first stage and tv role was as Harry Hill's big brother Alan. Doesn't mean anything, just a bit of trivia.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

What, as a man? :confused:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Which is hilarious given how much of a pseudointellectual self is.
Self's review of Jan Moir's new book is brutal and beautiful and well worth a read, and thats enough for me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

IceAgeComing posted:

Looking at the crossbreaks, it seems that women dislike Brand less than men (41% or 51%) which is completely opposite what I would have expected, which is pretty interesting... Its based off around 1000 people for each group as well, so it isn't a completely useless number!

Brand is an effeminate womaniser (in the grand tradition of all good womanisers) of course women like him more than men. I think lots of men basically just see him as a big old peacock. So do ladies but they may find it either sexy or amusing (those who like him anyways).

He's a decent enough guy and I think the whole "what right does a rich white man etc etc" stuff is bullshit because the only reason the media gives Brand the time of day is because he is famous anyway.

However, it is really loving depressing that he is absolutely IT as far as mainstream leftist commentators go. He's basically allowed to say anarchist stuff because he is inherently non-credible to elites and now when we get somebody talking seriously about the broken voting system and the glorious people's stateless revolution they'll just get called "a poor man's russel brand" or whatever as convenient shorthand for "insane person".

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Coohoolin posted:

That's kind of interesting, I've lived here 8, since I was 19, and I don't my Canadian accent has gone away in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

namesake posted:

No because I seem to be facebook friends with my family, about 8 real life people I know and the entire UK Trot left.

What, both of them?

Pissflaps posted:

Laughing at people rather than with them is the worst.
Aiming up rather than down is a good rule too.

• Locked thread