Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Point of discussion: Should there be move canceling in Dark souls?

Yes. The closer to good character action the better. DS3 is just a reskin of DMC 3 with invasion mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Actually Id unironically play that.
Knowing full well ill either get jump cancel kicked to death or oneshotted with a distorted uppercut.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

not having move canceling is a conscious decision in how these games are designed and I don't know if I'd want it. you'd have to overhaul a lot of how the game is played to make that work and be fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 13, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You can cancel out of any move with a windup, which can be quite useful in PVP. One trick you can do if your opponent is directly in front of you, is to do a slow move and cancelling it by backstepping. If your opponent tries to go for an attack you can just walk around to their back and get a guaranteed backstab.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Why, Tallgeese? Why?! :negative:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm on my 6th run and decided to be a Twin Blade Ninja. I did a ROB+Flynn build as well and found it fun to play. Then, on a whim, I decided to give a Raw Santier's Spear a whirl. Holy poo poo! That thing just melts bad guys fairly early in the game. It's adding a lot of fun to a two hander build

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Concurred posted:

Why, Tallgeese? Why?! :negative:

I'm trying to master the art of sitting, here!

(I am being completely serious. I am trying to use "sitting at bonfire", but I cannot get up right.)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 13, 2014

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tallgeese posted:

I'm trying to master the art of sitting, here!

(I am being completely serious. I am trying to use "sitting at bonfire", but I cannot get up right.)

Maybe it's just that I'm on my phone, but I can't make out what's going on in this picture.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Maybe it's just that I'm on my phone, but I can't make out what's going on in this picture.

He's hiding in those little stairwells when he saw the invasion message.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I knew it was him... after all these years, my hunt was complete...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You had awful timing, my butt wasn't working after a most rigorous sit.

Apparently, the Undead lose the ability to sit anywhere that isn't a bonfire. Attempting to do so spells doom.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Tallgeese posted:

You had awful timing, my butt wasn't working after a most rigorous sit.

Apparently, the Undead lose the ability to sit anywhere that isn't a bonfire. Attempting to do so spells doom.

That's why your player character is seeking the throne. It's the only chair left to sit on.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the invasion was actually because the giants were mondo pissed when someone hosed up their giant chair to make a smaller chair

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I finally killed the Flume Knight! It helped that he bugged out and never lit up or got his balls out. Maybe he felt sorry for me after all those deaths.

Also killed Elana in the same session - she only summoned skeletons so that made it easier. Kinda feels like they went easy on me.

I think I prefer this game to the first one, partly because of the bonfire placements. That run to Gwyn almost gave me PTSD.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I just beat Fume Knight too, I think that was the hardest a boss has ever been for me in this game, god. it was almost flashbacks to Artorias with how relentless he is with his combos and how small the margin for error in dodging is.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Disco De Soto posted:

I think I prefer this game to the first one, partly because of the bonfire placements. That run to Gwyn almost gave me PTSD.

The Frozen Outskirts optional part of the Ivory King really nails this though. 10 minute walk in featureless scenery with random spawning high strength enemies, then a double boss at the end of it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

That's why your player character is seeking the throne. It's the only chair left to sit on.

The onlt one some rear end in a top hat hasn't rolled through, anyway.

It's me, I'm that rear end in a top hat. gently caress your chairs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

My favorite thing about being invaded in the Dark Chasms is that the NPC phantoms are just as aggressive to invaders as they are to me. More than once, someone invades me only to get killed before I even see them on my screen.

I have on more than one occasion killed someone in the Chasms then put my controller down only to realize I'm an idiot and it was just Dark Ricard or something.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Move canceling would shift the gama towards more arcade-y gameplay, which isn't that desirable for a Souls game, I think. Having to commit gives certain weight to combat and bonus for looking better, too, since the character doesn't stop mid-animation to do something else.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
I agree. Souls series games hit a nice medium between character action games speediness and Monster Hunter weight.

It's fine as it is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Damegane posted:

It's fine as it is.

I'm not so sure about that, and I'm not convinced that the gameplay should stay as is.
Whether it may warrant just creating new or more varied movesets, which can be argued is exactly what they have been doing, a rethinking of how the game treats combat, Level and enemy design which also encompasses things like bonfire spacing and 'rules' for enemy interaction, or the introduction of new mechanics, like the introduction of poise, is something I'm not sure of.

I guess I went for canceling since that's a safe addition to an action game in most circumstances which can spice up higher level play while not being essential for playing the game. 'Souls-like' is starting to become a bit of a genre(at least sub-genre) of it's own and It's really interesting for me to have a look and a think about these elements.

That being said I'm really interested in Bloodborne, if only to see how they've changed the gameplay.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 13, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you want to try out how DS2 plays with move-cancelling, find the public table that has a rather poor implementation of it to get an idea.

It's apparently around somewhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm not so sure about that, and I'm not convinced that the gameplay should stay as is.
Whether it may warrant just creating new or more varied movesets, which can be argued is exactly what they have been doing, a rethinking of how the game treats combat, Level and enemy design which also encompasses things like bonfire spacing and 'rules' for enemy interaction, or the introduction of new mechanics, like the introduction of poise, is something I'm not sure of.

I guess I went for canceling since that's a safe addition to an action game in most circumstances which can spice up higher level play while not being essential for playing the game. 'Souls-like' is starting to become a bit of a genre(at least sub-genre) of it's own and It's really interesting for me to have a look and a think about these elements.

That being said I'm really interested in Bloodborne, if only to see how they've changed the gameplay.

Forcing you to commit to your moves is a very large part of the combat in this game, it puts emphasis on the fact that you should only do something if you know you will have time to pull it off. It's why the big huge fuckoff attacks or spells have a large wind-up. If you could just roll out of them at any time and cancel them when something comes at you, there'd be no point in giving them that large wind-up because they're not making you commit to it.

Heavy weapons would become useless because anyone could at any time roll out of the way of your attack because it's so slow. The most important part of PVP with a heavy weapon, besides learning how to parry, is looking for an opening because you can't cancel your attack once it starts. Removing that from the equation with move canceling would make heavy armor even more useless because everyone would always try to have the fastest rolling speed, because now you can roll/dodge at any time.

It's not "safe" to add to a game like Dark Souls, it'd ruin the whole combat system because it hinges on you not being able to cancel your moves.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 13, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I should have clarified how severe the canceling I had in mind would be.
It'd be more like recovery canceling, which already exists in a mild form already. Canceling out of a recoil off a shield early to go into a guard break or just allowing guard breaks and jump attacks to be part of a combo, that is to have the same amount of delay between it and the previous attack that is used between a string of attacks. And as a downside it costs a bit more stamina, has more recovery frames, something detrimental.

(Example: Im using , and . as an arbitrary amount of time and , < .: Right now it's L1,L1.JumpAttack/guardbreak . I would like to see it as L1,L1,jumpattack/guardbreak)

Nothing severe like jump cancels in DMC or dodge cancels and offsets in Bayo and Rising, but something to facilitate a smoother form of combat while still retaining the weight of it all.

Even small tweaks in a Souls game can have a big effect, I think.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

I should have clarified how severe the canceling I had in mind would be.
It'd be more like recovery canceling, which already exists in a mild form already. Canceling out of a recoil off a shield early to go into a guard break or just allowing guard breaks and jump attacks to be part of a combo, that is to have the same amount of delay between it and the previous attack that is used between a string of attacks. And as a downside it costs a bit more stamina, has more recovery frames, something detrimental.

(Example: Im using , and . as an arbitrary amount of time and , < .: Right now it's L1,L1.JumpAttack/guardbreak . I would like to see it as L1,L1,jumpattack/guardbreak)

Nothing severe like jump cancels in DMC or dodge cancels and offsets in Bayo and Rising, but something to facilitate a smoother form of combat while still retaining the weight of it all.

Even small tweaks in a Souls game can have a big effect, I think.

Sounds like you might as well play Street fighter. Next they'll be putting a hadokun and dragon punch in the game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Sounds like you might as well play Street fighter. Next they'll be putting a hadokun and dragon punch in the game.

I.. have news for you...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure that that's :thejoke:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I was 50/50 on that, but worst comes to worst, I can just make a perfect punchline and look a little like a moron. I'm pretty good at that. :thumbsup:

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Does the Twinblade R1 --> R2 truly combo?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Like most weapons probably not. But some start up frames are probably shortened but not to the degree of a second R1.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Like most weapons probably not. But some start up frames are probably shortened but not to the degree of a second R1.

You mean like most weapons yes? The majority of weapons have a guaranteed r1,r1 and r2,r2 combo, and usually for both the 1handed and 2handed movesets. It's the outliers that do not.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres very slight reduction in startup that doesnt really count as comboing. The difference in frames is in the single digits.

Not as much as DaS1 but is there and very minor.

Most serious reductions in attack startup time (that arent a second r1/r2) come from alternating hands or from a roll or dash attack. Like the curved greatsword 2h roll attack to light attack.

And he is asking about r1->r2. Light to heavy doesnt speed up the heavy side much beyond a few outliers and already fast weapons.

Notably greatswords actually have some semblance of a good light->heavy combo. Like the claymores stab. Then again that stab is great no matter what.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 14, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I've figured out what I'm going to do for the DLC, and it's gimmicky enough to satisfy me. The thought came to me as I was at work. Themed sets! I'll be tackling the Iron King DLC as an Alonne Knight, complete with Blacksteel masterwork nippon forged folded 10000 times can cut through any other metal on earth because it kicks rear end Katana, the Sunken King DLC as a Drakekeeper, and the Ivory King as my very, very first character, a Faraam Lion Knight with pyromancy additions.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I tried searching the thread for it but what was that game that was a western dark souls? I remember the discussion being about how ironic it was that the game is a western take on an eastern take of western rpgs? It looked very similar as well if I remember right.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

snergle posted:

I tried searching the thread for it but what was that game that was a western dark souls? I remember the discussion being about how ironic it was that the game is a western take on an eastern take of western rpgs? It looked very similar as well if I remember right.

Bound by Flame?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

snergle posted:

I hope you're not talking about Lords of the Fallen?

Orv
May 4, 2011

snergle posted:

Lords of the Fallen, a better game than it probably should be.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I think it might of been lords of the fallen. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Has the population of DS2 been declining? It seems like the summon frequency has gone way down.

E: People still fall for life drain patch.