Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

more friedman units posted:

Costco's mission was definitely accomplished.

The kicker is that after they sold off their licenses, and considering now the distributor tax is automatically lowering, the state will significantly less revenue than before AND almost certainly liquor prices (outside of maybe Costco_ will continue to be higher. Watching Costco convince Washingtonian voter into voting against their own interests was sickening to watch (they dumped 20 million into it).

There was an attempt in Oregon by them to put it on the ballot in Oregon in 2014 but they may have to wait until 2018 to try again.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
CondoInternet (owned by Wave Cable) is bringing gigabit fiber to the Eastlake district of Seattle. $80 / month with no data caps. They're starting there and planning to expand to other Seattle districts as well.

This, combined with other streaming programs probably means I could get rid of Comcast once and for all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

seiferguy posted:

CondoInternet (owned by Wave Cable) is bringing gigabit fiber to the Eastlake district of Seattle. $80 / month with no data caps. They're starting there and planning to expand to other Seattle districts as well.

This, combined with other streaming programs probably means I could get rid of Comcast once and for all.

80 a month? gently caress that. Can we get google out here anytime soon? I'll never go Comcast as long as I have another option but yeesh.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Junkyard Poodle posted:

On a similar but different note;
Also, anyone following the Bill the Butcher saga?

Yeah, pretty scandalous to see how she managed to use company money to pay for her house on queen anne.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So how about this Arctic Fart weather? My morning commute was actually better today than average.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Reason posted:

Its really cold in Oly, but holy poo poo it was windy and cold down in Vancouver today. I was freezing my balls off and there were trees and limbs down all over the place.

Also for anyone familiar with the Jesus Pillar off I5 near Winlock, it looks like heavy winds finally took their toll on the poor fellow and knocked him down.

Good night sweet prince.

Any of you at Evergreen State College?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ardennes posted:

There was an attempt in Oregon by them to put it on the ballot in Oregon in 2014 but they may have to wait until 2018 to try again.

It's going to be hilarious to see the incredibly bitter shitheads on the Oregonian's comment section argue that "well, so what if Washington gets less tax revenue and still pays higher prices for liquor? the GOV'T still doesn't have any place here! and maybe people... people shouldn't even be buying liquor anyway! GOD gently caress EVERYONE I HATE LITERALLY EVERYTHING"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's going to be hilarious to see the incredibly bitter shitheads on the Oregonian's comment section argue that "well, so what if Washington gets less tax revenue and still pays higher prices for liquor? the GOV'T still doesn't have any place here! and maybe people... people shouldn't even be buying liquor anyway! GOD gently caress EVERYONE I HATE LITERALLY EVERYTHING"

The Oregonian comment section is really something to behold, well the comment sections of all Oregon media I guess but obviously the Oregonian is still the king. I guess they must be the guys who keep the Oregonian going?

Man they are pissed off though, it is their life's work.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Ardennes posted:

The Oregonian comment section is really something to behold, well the comment sections of all Oregon media I guess but obviously the Oregonian is still the king. I guess they must be the guys who keep the Oregonian going?

Man they are pissed off though, it is their life's work.

I would submit the Seattle Times' comment section as candidate for "the king". It's either full of a number of elaborate, fully committed trolls, or it's full of the biggest stereotypes this side of a Dave Chappelle sketch.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

smg77 posted:

Kill the rich, redistribute their wealth.

Seconded.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Turn bill gates upside down and shake him and fund public schools with what falls out.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
While we're agitating for impossible things, someone ban driving on ocean beaches in Washington.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

krispykremessuck posted:

While we're agitating for impossible things, someone ban driving on ocean beaches in Washington.

Does Oregon still classify those as roads?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Thirded.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
A Quorum has been reached. Prepare the hounds.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Turn bill gates upside down and shake him and fund public schools with what falls out.

But what if he leaves :qq:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Javid posted:

But but that money is earmarked for charter school experimentation!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Does Oregon still classify those as roads?

My understanding is that all ocean beaches fall under the authority of the federal entity that also does highways for some reason from a zillion years ago that no one cares about. I can't find anything on the internets about it though so I might have just made that up. I like driving on some beaches, I've actually taken cars into the surf once or twice, weeeeeeeee!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Reason posted:

My understanding is that all ocean beaches fall under the authority of the federal entity that also does highways for some reason from a zillion years ago that no one cares about. I can't find anything on the internets about it though so I might have just made that up. I like driving on some beaches, I've actually taken cars into the surf once or twice, weeeeeeeee!

There's a mix of jurisdictions, but ocean beaches would ultimately fall under federal oversight as a national border, whereas highways are nominally state entities (think of the armtwisting that the fed had to go through to get states to agree to 55 MPH speed limits). Most highways and all interstates, however, are covered by the commerce clause and largely funded via the Federal Highway Administration in spite of that. As far as I know, the FHA has no direct involvement with ocean beaches.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 14, 2014

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Kaal posted:

There's a mix of jurisdictions, but ocean beaches would ultimately fall under federal oversight as a national border, whereas highways are nominally state entities (think of the armtwisting that the fed had to go through to get states to agree to 55 MPH speed limits). Most highways and all interstates, however, are covered by the commerce clause and largely funded via the Federal Highway Administration.
Not sure I completely buy that, since beaches down to the waterline in California can be private whereas Oregon state law prohibits the privatization of beaches believing they're to be held in public trust and no one can own them.

Thomas Jefferson proposed giving coastal states a 3 mile buffer own owned rights. This was enacted by Congress in the 1953 Submerged Lands Act, stipulating that states had rights over sea and seabed extending from the mean low water mark out to 3nm before the federal government took over jurisdiction out to a further 9mi from the mean low water mark, for a total 12nm of territorial waters.

Federal management starts at 12nm from the coastline and extends out to territorial waters and further out to the exclusive economic zone (200nm) where foreign flagged vessels, in air, on and under sea may not be prohibited from transiting.

May be able to further clarify this. ORS 390.605 governs public use lands and ORS 390.770 defines the landward limit of public use as the vegetation line.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/spincontrol/2014/nov/12/handing-guns-anti-594-rally-wont-prompt-arrests/

quote:

OLYMPIA – Gun rights activists plan to bring their firearms to the Capitol next month in an effort engage in civil disobedience by violating the new background check law that they despise.

But there may be a flaw in the plan. What they say they’re going to do – “openly exchange guns” by handing them to someone else – isn’t against Initiative 594, according to Bob Calkins of the Washington State Patrol, which provides law enforcement on the Capitol grounds. They’re not going to be arrested or cited for doing that. . .

No one will be arrested for exchanging guns, Calkins, the patrol spokesman, said.

“We don’t see handing a weapon to someone else as a violation of the law,” Calkins said. “We don’t see that as a transfer.”

He likened it to the difference between loaning your car to a friend for the afternoon and signing the papers over to him. The latter is a transfer, the former is not, Calkins said.

:qq:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
So apparently you'll be able to hand your gun to your buddy when you're shooting at a gravel pit without having G-men spring out of the bushes to arrest you. Who the gently caress would have guessed? :rolleyes:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ahaha, that's hilarious. They're making a big public point of how badly they misunderstand the word "transfer".

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SeaborneClink posted:

Not sure I completely buy that, since beaches down to the waterline in California can be private whereas Oregon state law prohibits the privatization of beaches believing they're to be held in public trust and no one can own them.

Thomas Jefferson proposed giving coastal states a 3 mile buffer own owned rights. This was enacted by Congress in the 1953 Submerged Lands Act, stipulating that states had rights over sea and seabed extending from the mean low water mark out to 3nm before the federal government took over jurisdiction out to a further 9mi from the mean low water mark, for a total 12nm of territorial waters.

Federal management starts at 12nm from the coastline and extends out to territorial waters and further out to the exclusive economic zone (200nm) where foreign flagged vessels, in air, on and under sea may not be prohibited from transiting.

May be able to further clarify this. ORS 390.605 governs public use lands and ORS 390.770 defines the landward limit of public use as the vegetation line.

There's mixed jurisdictions, but it's still ultimately subject to federal oversight as a border. In the same way that Washington has jurisdiction over the areas that border with Canada, but its ultimately subject to federal oversight as well. That jurisdiction would, for example, provide Congress with the legal basis for constructing a border fence, or to conduct immigration and smuggling patrols*, regardless of the consent of the State of Washington. That graphic is informative, but it's explaining the limits of Oregon's jurisdiction, not the reverse. And as for Oregon, specifically, beaches can be privatized (though the state owns most of it and isn't selling) but public access is mandated. So an individual can own the beach and develop it (i.e. building a dock) but they can't prevent anyone from accessing that beach.

*Such as those conducted between Canada and the US during the Prohibition

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 14, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ditocoaf posted:

Ahaha, that's hilarious. They're making a big public point of how badly they misunderstand the word "transfer".

And missing the point that they could use a letter-writing campaign to have that small section of the law amended by lawmakers, if that's their biggest hangup on the issue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Some people in Washington County are so upset that the government is planning to put a hiking/bicycle trail through along their property, they've formed a committee:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/238665-104485-more-creek-trail-changes-ready-for-viewing posted:

Teufel-Hyneman said she sent Robbins petition signatures of a dozen property owners who oppose the trail and have formed an informal group they call Responsible Access Planning Environment (RAPE). Robbins said he received about 20 trail comments altogether.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why would anyone oppose such a thing?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Why would anyone oppose such a thing?

The standard position is that hikers and cyclists will leave trash everywhere, steal things, and generally be "ruffians". Realistically it's 50% "Prevent any challenge to rural land use control" and 50% "Hikers = Liberals". If people start hiking trails, they might start objecting to farmers hosing down their lands with pesticides, or treating a field as a junk heap and then burning it, or driving around in their farm machinery at odd hours after a couple of stiff ones. And ultimately those hikers might bring unwelcome attention from government authorities. All to help people hug some trees. Not worth the risk for that kind of sociopathic mentality.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 14, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BraveUlysses posted:

And missing the point that they could use a letter-writing campaign to have that small section of the law amended by lawmakers, if that's their biggest hangup on the issue.

A mob of armed semi-literates storming the capitol might even spook the legislature into hostility toward gun owners

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Accretionist posted:

A mob of armed semi-literates storming the capitol might even spook the legislature into hostility toward gun owners

Doubt it, there were far more protests that were much bigger than this one in the post-newtown meltdown

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

anthonypants posted:

Some people in Washington County are so upset that the government is planning to put a hiking/bicycle trail through along their property, they've formed a committee:

Responsible Access Planning Environment (RAPE)

"Why yes, I am opposed to rape. What do you mean 'not that kind of rape?' There's a rape group?! That's horrifying!"

Seriously, why not "Group for Responsible Environment Planning (GREP)"? It'd be some nice Orwellian bullshit coming from a largely anti-environmentalist demographic. But, no, at least one person thought it was a great idea to name their organization after a violent crime. (God, I hope there's an anti-Mothers Against Drunk Driving group with MURDER as an acronym. Please let this be a trend.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They could tack "group" on the beginning and be GRAPE.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Javid posted:

I don't know, I might just call it group RAPE.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Javid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6QIYxLs5TU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

SeaborneClink posted:

The official ODOT maps have a little bar on the side that indicates where you can and cannot drive on the beach, if that helps.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Javid posted:

The Grapist: http://youtu.be/9Yt0b_QBP_A

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can only assume that everyone else is as frozen and depressed as I am. It's supposed to warm up some in the near future, at least here in Oregon.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Other than the cold it has been great. Lots of sun and no rain or precipitation at all. I could live with a winter like this.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

mod sassinator posted:

Other than the cold it has been great. Lots of sun and no rain or precipitation at all. I could live with a winter like this.
I'd like to empty quote this forever. Got no problems putting on a merino long sleeve and some gloves to keep the fingers warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Despite being the original poster of the Pacific Northwest thread, I actually live in Montana. (But I do live in the Pacific NW part).

Its really cold here. It has been nine days since the temperature got above freezing. It was supposed to get into the 40s today, but it didn't.

Of course, a long winter for us means that we won't get slammed next fire season. Hopefully.

• Locked thread