Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TheBizzness posted:

Desert would also fit a Hills Have Eyes scenario

I really think the two fit hand in hand. Gotta have some weirdo hicks as a subplot to the government alien coverup base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

That Dandy rant reminded me of American Psycho again.

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
Why the hell does Dandy have a Nazi SS dagger in his toybox? :staredog:

e: I wonder if his hosed up family is going to tie back into Dr. Arden somehow?

Kindjal fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 13, 2014

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The thing is they got really hooked in the idea last season that none of the character's deaths mattered, because they would all come back to life super easily.

So, this season we are just seeing a lot of "what ifs" for the characters. They could die this way, but they didn't.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Wow. Dandy's mom definitely seems fed up with her son's creepy bullshit by now. Just the expression on her face. :stare:

I friggin' love Frances Conroy. She can be the picture of elegant maturity, or a dotty old eccentric who rambles nonsensically, or a creepily overbearing mother with such perfect precision and color.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I love Dandy.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I kind of hate Elsa though. Every time she's on screen its like fingernails on a chalkboard. The character idea is kind of interesting, she thinks she wants to be loved but really she wants to be adored in a weird possesive destructive way so she surrounds herself with perpetual dependants she can lord it over and she does malignant poo poo and thinks its justified. Its really grating for some reason though. I prefer obnoxious nun, mean drunk and even egocentric witch over it by some distance.

If they had made Denis O'Hare more of a co conspirator in some way rather than an isolated guy that Emma Roberts talks to sometimes I would have liked it more because that guy is fantastic even when he's playing a mute in the background and he's doing great as a villainous poo poo even if he hasn't actually done anything yet.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

TrekBek posted:

This was a really tame episode! Which is good, because I'm literally watching this in a room full of nuns.

I'm curious about this... Why are you in a room full of nuns?

I really liked last night's episode, although I couldn't help but cringe during the Ma Petite fantasy killing sequence and the bullseye routine with Paul.

I thought it was kind of creepy Elsa treated Ma Petite like a puppy or kitten; like something that's just there to cuddle with and comfort her rather than a person. I guess it's a similar situation with Paul, but in a different physical attachment. Elsa really is bonkers.

Goofballs posted:

If they had made Denis O'Hare more of a co conspirator in some way rather than an isolated guy that Emma Roberts talks to sometimes I would have liked it more because that guy is fantastic even when he's playing a mute in the background and he's doing great as a villainous poo poo even if he hasn't actually done anything yet.

We're still pretty early on in the season and it isn't out of the realm of possibility yet that this could actually happen.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life

Not Today Satan posted:

I'm curious about this... Why are you in a room full of nuns?

Because Irish wakes can be very strange times. (They thought the show was alright, but spent most of it complaining that Rescue Me isn't on anymore.)

Also, yeah, the fact that Ma Petite was in that loving knit sack for who knows how long... I know we'll never get it for several reasons, the main one being the language barrier, but I'd kill for a deeper story with her. Paul's was flawless.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

TrekBek posted:

Because Irish wakes can be very strange times. (They thought the show was alright, but spent most of it complaining that Rescue Me isn't on anymore.)

High five on old ladies enjoying this show. I started watching it because I went to visit my grandma a couple years ago and she was casually watching Asylum in her room.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

I don't mind seeing characters die, but having creepy mclongdong put them in formaldehyde is too much. I wonder if those scenes were originally shot to not be fantasies but they decided those fates might be too brutal.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
My DVR cut off right before the end. What happened after the door bell rang? It cut off as Dandy and mom were walking to the door to see who it was.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Stabitha posted:

My DVR cut off right before the end. What happened after the door bell rang? It cut off as Dandy and mom were walking to the door to see who it was.

Jimmy was at the door. Dandy said something along the line of "He came for the twins" and Jimmy gave him a weird look.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Percelus posted:

I don't mind seeing characters die, but having creepy mclongdong put them in formaldehyde is too much. I wonder if those scenes were originally shot to not be fantasies but they decided those fates might be too brutal.

i think paul really does end up in the jar, and they're going to mix a couple of real ones in with fake ones.

as brutal as it is, i would have wanted them to kill off some of them. they seem like they are holding out too much this season with this kind of poo poo. the extremes seem to be almost soap opera like and even dandy's killing seems so random when it could have been way more personal and brutal. i just think they need to push this poo poo all the way.

even jessica lange's drag character is getting to be a drag and seems held back and hemmed in by maudlin dreams and longings. she just kind of seems flaccid this season.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Hey, that's a good point. If Paul's already dead, why don't they just steal his corpse?

I guess Stanley is gonna get greedy (but knowing this show, they could just not even think of it.)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like it but I'm kinda bored with the characters. Elsa is crazy and love fame, Dandy is a psycho manchild, Dell and Desiree disappeared for a whole episode!

At least Ma Petite is still alive. Maybe my dream of Eve and her just living may actually come true.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, Twisty/Dandy/Paul are the only cool parts of this season. Jimmy could be, but he doesn't really do anything.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Mordrake was pretty cool and also Kathy Bates accent but other than that the main cast is boring as hell.

Still better than Coven!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kinda ok episode, didn't really pay attention. Hope dandy gets the nice twin and not the crazy rude one.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Unless they really start making Dandy the villain of the season (which, to their credit, they seem to be doing,) it was probably a mistake to kill off Twisty so early. The show has been lacking in straight up evil or otherwise villainous entities for a while now.

There's a lot of drama happening, it just feels sort of marginalized. Like Paul telling Elsa not to miss, knowing he was probably about to get hit and killed. He also knows Elsa was responsible for the twins' disappearance, but he let it go.

I think it's that air of knowing that's a bit annoying. It's like in Coven where all the characters knew Fionna was full of it and trying to kill them, but they just sort of dealt with it because, well, oh that Fionna.

Stanley wants to kill as many as possible, but just sits on the sidelines and berates Maggie. Del is a blowhard, but wasn't even in this episode. Elsa would presumably sell them all out to get a glimpse of fame, but it's not like Stanley's offer is real. So Dandy is definitely the one, we just need him to get on with it.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I'll laugh if Dot finally gets her dream of separation, and it's Bette who lives.

Also, I know it's AHS and bad things always happen, but I hope Paul and Penny get to run off together and live happily...

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

TheBizzness posted:

Mordrake was pretty cool and also Kathy Bates accent but other than that the main cast is boring as hell.

Still better than Coven!

goddamn, you know poo poo's bad when people say things like it's still better than coven. it's like saying it beats waitressing.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

Hey, that's a good point. If Paul's already dead, why don't they just steal his corpse?

I guess Stanley is gonna get greedy (but knowing this show, they could just not even think of it.)

i don't think he's dead yet, is he? he's still dying. doesn't he show up in the next preview? he'll probably die and then they'll take his body and use it for their display.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TrekBek posted:

I'll laugh if Dot finally gets her dream of separation, and it's Bette who lives.

Also, I know it's AHS and bad things always happen, but I hope Paul and Penny get to run off together and live happily...

I bet Stanley ends up in that museum because he is actually a freak too.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I bet Stanley ends up in that museum because he is actually a freak too.

just his dick floating around. that would be beautiful.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I'm still annoyed they just gave him a big dick instead of, like, three dicks.

Ma Petite was even more adorable than normal. Are people still having trouble understanding her? I thought her enunciation was much better this episode, but I've usually been able to understand her anyway.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Ma Petite was even more adorable than normal. Are people still having trouble understanding her? I thought her enunciation was much better this episode, but I've usually been able to understand her anyway.

I couldn't understand her at all the first few episodes but last episode I understood everything she said.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I'm still annoyed they just gave him a big dick instead of, like, three dicks.

Americans have a hard time with any accent.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

She has an accent and also sounds very unnatural. She doesn't sound like an adult but doesn't really sound like a kid either.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

She has an accent and also sounds very unnatural. She doesn't sound like an adult but doesn't really sound like a kid either.

I feel a little horrible saying it, but the way she's been portrayed also seems to me like she's supposed to be mentally handicapped as well as being tiny. Everyone's carting her around and treating her like a pet or prop, she only speaks in fragments of several words, gets taken out of bed and willingly to a barn in the middle of the night to (not) get pickled in a jar on the promise of a pony surprise.

I also agree that all of the non-Twisty/Dandy subplots have been really boring. I'm not sure what they're trying to do with Elsa's character, but I don't find her sympathetic or interesting at all. She's done the whole "aging matron trying to hold onto power/fame/youth" the last two seasons and at least there she was a badass and had some agency. In Freak Show, Elsa is supposed to be this mother figure all the carneys respect yet none of them seem to really show it and she hasn't done a single thing to earn it. When Michael Chiklis shows up she surrenders authority to him all of a sudden. Then Edward Mordrake, then big-dick Denis O'Hare. Yes, please! Whisk me off to the underworld with you! Take me to Hollywood I'll do anything let me kill off a couple of my carney kids who are totally like children to me!

It's not bad, I just hope they start going somewhere with the carnival subplots.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 14, 2014

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The knife throwing scene was really forced.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

Still better than Coven!

poo poo loads and light years better.

This at least has an atmosphere and actual horror elements and isn't trying to be X-Men: Hogwarts [with random murders]. Also it doesn't seem to forget the last episode happened every week.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

Kathy Bates accent
Her Balmer Merlin accent may seem over the top, but I know people who really talk like that. Hon.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I feel a little horrible saying it, but the way she's been portrayed also seems to me like she's supposed to be mentally handicapped as well as being tiny. Everyone's carting her around and treating her like a pet or prop, she only speaks in fragments of several words, gets taken out of bed and willingly to a barn in the middle of the night to (not) get pickled in a jar on the promise of a pony surprise.

It's kind of interesting because I've been seeing people saying this a lot lately, and in an interview she mentioned how she hated being treated that way, as a pet or a prop. She said she hates people touching her hair and treating her like some doll they can just paw at. I wonder if she feels totally violated and is just going along with it due to the lucky Hollywood acting break, etc...

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

We were talking about the show recently and someone said Dandy's father was also a killer. Did I completely miss out on this or was this just speculation? I know Dandy's lineage is inbred as all hell, but I don't recall hearing anything actually being said about his dad.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

MadSparkle posted:

It's kind of interesting because I've been seeing people saying this a lot lately, and in an interview she mentioned how she hated being treated that way, as a pet or a prop. She said she hates people touching her hair and treating her like some doll they can just paw at. I wonder if she feels totally violated and is just going along with it due to the lucky Hollywood acting break, etc...

She'll be the one to kill Elsa in the finale!

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Not Today Satan posted:

We were talking about the show recently and someone said Dandy's father was also a killer. Did I completely miss out on this or was this just speculation? I know Dandy's lineage is inbred as all hell, but I don't recall hearing anything actually being said about his dad.

Gloria did imply that Dandy was 'afflicted' (or something) like his father. But it wasn't flat-out said that he was a killer too...was it? Didn't he hang himself or something? Maybe he had some hosed up urges and decided to off himself, that's sort of what seemed to be said.
Then there's the whole Bloodyface thing, which people seem to want to tie it to.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

She'll be the one to kill Elsa in the finale!

Hahaha, that would be perfect.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

I also agree that all of the non-Twisty/Dandy subplots have been really boring. I'm not sure what they're trying to do with Elsa's character, but I don't find her sympathetic or interesting at all. She's done the whole "aging matron trying to hold onto power/fame/youth" the last two seasons and at least there she was a badass and had some agency. In Freak Show, Elsa is supposed to be this mother figure all the carneys respect yet none of them seem to really show it and she hasn't done a single thing to earn it. When Michael Chiklis shows up she surrenders authority to him all of a sudden. Then Edward Mordrake, then big-dick Denis O'Hare. Yes, please! Whisk me off to the underworld with you! Take me to Hollywood I'll do anything let me kill off a couple of my carney kids who are totally like children to me!

It's not bad, I just hope they start going somewhere with the carnival subplots.

I wouldn't say handicapped so much as something of a woman-child, probably treated that way her entire life due to her size and never truly grew up (not to mention a healthy innocent from being in a foreign land and English possibly not being her first language.) Talking about the character here of course, not the actress. Elsa even treats her like a literal doll, so y'know.

As for Elsa, the preview seems to imply that Jimmy successfully brings the twins back to the grounds, and they blackmail Elsa by threatening to reveal she sold them off, so perhaps she makes a deal with one of the more villainous characters to get her clout back.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Not Today Satan posted:

They said Dandy's father used to kill vagrants and that times have changed because when people go missing now other people notice, so Dandy has to be more careful (this was a conversation during the planting of the garden over Dora's grave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

All we know of Thredson's parents is that his mother abandoned him at an orphanage, so they could easily make some sort of connection. Perhaps Dandy's father is also Oliver's, and it truly runs in the family.

And I went back and checked about Paul. Turns out Jimmy said "Paul could die," when speaking to Ethel, so I guess he isn't actually dead yet. Come to think about it, that's probably how he knew to go to Dandy's place for the twins.

• Locked thread