Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

DO IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

i have literally never understood the purpose of the skateboard in that scene

or of almost any scene in the movie but especially that bit

also complete side note a friend of mine went to vegas saw penn and teller and told penn jillette "you were great in Hackers", which appeared to visibly irritate him

hackers was a prescient movie

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

this needs to be a moose milkie gif where he skates by and grabs a 1

and the back of the pickup truck says POST

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

close enough

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Thesoro posted:

if he didn't forget about it shortly afterward, he's forgotten about it by now

oh

i made myself really sad

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
buttcoins and science fiction chat: perfect together

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

if you want bad pratchett read dark side of the sun

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it is done

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

huh, back down to sub-400 after hitting 450 today. seems like we're getting back to the older levels of volatility.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-13/forex-investors-may-face-1-billion-loss-as-trade-site-vanishes.html

Shady investments, but without bitcoin

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

TVarmy posted:

huh, back down to sub-400 after hitting 450 today. seems like we're getting back to the older levels of volatility.

was just coming to post - bitfinex 24h high 475, current price 395

can't wait to see the epic paintings that prove this is good for bitcoin

e: 394

e2: 393

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 14, 2014

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
has it been long enough? will they fall for BITCOIN IS CRASHING - SELL SELL SELL again?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

this recent price retreat puts us back at a negative yoy growth again

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
:toot:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I see that you've been reading r/bitcoin for your daily finantial news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBjbnvnrBk

What is the name for scams that filter out non-braindead people?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

trucutru posted:

"successful"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

None of my $1 Twitter tips from last week were collected (self.Bitcoin)

In the spirit of Tipping Tuesday, I decided to empty out my ChangeTip account on random content creators I like. I used Twitter, as my previous experiences YouTube suggested that ChangeTips tend to get lost in the flood of comments. My hopes were high. Maybe one of my favorite YouTube personalities or bloggers would give ChangeTip, and bitcoin by extension, a try.

The results? None of them collected. None of them responded. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. During the rally, each of the $1 tips I left had actually gone up to around $1.25, but no one seemed to care.

These were web savvy people, and I know for a fact that several have at least talked about bitcoin in passing on their videos or blogs. So I'm guessing that the problem is that ChangeTip, for all its innovation and deserved recognition inside the bitcoin community, still seems kind of scammy to people who don't know what it is.

Since they don't care, and you folks do, I'm tipping $0.50 each to the first 5 people who post a bitcoin-related joke.

Ok, get ready to laugh (pulls suspenders).

quote:

Whats overstocks favorite method to secure a blockchain?

Proof of Byrne

quote:

What's a Bitcoin's favorite sport? Nakamotocross!

quote:

What's a blockchain's favorite drug? Hash!

quote:

A sysadmin was deleting website referrals to Bitcoin harvesters. He was arrested. With what crime was he charged?

Contributing to the de-link-uency of miners!

quote:

I'm like a really down to earth guy because you know... gravity.

quote:

How many frenchmen does it take to mine a bitcoin? It's impossible, they keep trying to surrender to it.

quote:

Sorry, that was lame. Here's a better one. - Snap, I lost my key! - Which one? - The private one. - Ok, you're screwed.

quote:

Ok ok I got one!

How many Republicans does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. They'd rather sit in the dark and blame Obama.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

trucutru posted:

I see that you've been reading r/bitcoin for your daily finantial news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBjbnvnrBk

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

This is why. I don't know that anyone's actually named the phenomenon.

The abstract basically describes Bitcoin itself to a T.

Though:

quote:

Sheye and Danjuma have a name for the advance-fee email scams, in which victims agree to to send money to a stranger, banking on the promise of love or fast money. They called these cons "Yahoo" jobs, pronounced Ya-OO.

Seems oddly appropriate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 14, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ruby idiot railed posted:

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

This is why. I don't know that anyone's actually named the phenomenon.

The abstract basically describes Bitcoin itself to a T.

Yeah, I read that paper a while ago, it is pretty obvious (in retrospect, as with many other "obvious" things) how it works and it is indeed interesting.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

trucutru posted:

how have they gotten worse at """""""""""""jokes"""""""""""""

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

trucutru posted:

LAFF FUTURES ARE CRASHING! SELL SELL SELL!!!!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

"successful"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I tried to turn my $30 in reddit tips into a UPS battery on newegg and it's been two days and I still haven't finished it. what a loving nightmare.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

FCKGW posted:

I tried to turn my $30 in reddit tips into a UPS battery on newegg and it's been two days and I still haven't finished it. what a loving nightmare.

It's your fault! By trying to cash out $30 in bitcoins via Newegg you have crashed the market! How does it feel to be the bearwhale?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

FCKGW posted:

bitcoin isn't failing, you're failing bitcoin.

YOU MONSTER

#antifragile #currencyoftjefuture #dongsdongsdongs

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im jef uture

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

three and a quarter, idiot

3.25 inch floppies look like this brah

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
thank god we have fishmech to keep us informed about completely useless and obscure but technically correct minutia

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Heresiarch posted:

thank god we have fishmech to keep us informed about completely useless and obscure but technically correct minutia

says the man with a bitcoin explanation website

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Nintendo Kid posted:

says the man with a bitcoin explanation website

in other words i am highly qualified to point out useless crap when i see it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pwned

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

in other words i am highly qualified to point out useless crap when i see it

:vince:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I enjoy watching fishmech rile up posters in d&d who are unfamiliar with getting fishmech'd

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

two fish are in a tank. the first one says, 'A tank is a large type of armoured fighting vehicle with tracks, designed for front-line combat. Modern tanks are strong mobile land weapons platforms, mounting a large-calibre cannon in a rotating gun turret. They combine this with heavy vehicle armour providing protection for the crew of the weapon and operational mobility, which allows them to position on the battlefield in advantageous locations. These features enable the tank to have enormous capability to perform well in a tactical situation: the combination of strong weapons fire from their tank gun and their ability to resist enemy fire means the tank can take hold of and control an area of the battle and prevent other enemy vehicles from advancing, for example. In both offensive and defensive roles, they are powerful units able to perform all primary tasks[which?] required of armoured troops on the battlefield.[1] The modern tank was the result of a century of development from primitive armoured vehicles, due to improvements in technology such as the internal combustion engine, which allowed the rapid movement of heavy equipment required to construct armoured vehicles. As a result of these advances, tanks underwent tremendous shifts in capability during the World Wars of the 20th century.'

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Heresiarch posted:

my stupidity was validated by fishmech, he's cool for today, in my book

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
fishmech is always cool as long as he's arguing with someone else

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

so how did fishmech come to be known as the smartest kid in america? I mean I just assumed that he was from his posting but did everyone else do the same?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nobody tell him

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

vOv posted:

two fish are in a tank. the first one says, 'A tank is a large type of armoured fighting vehicle with tracks, designed for front-line combat. Modern tanks are strong mobile land weapons platforms, mounting a large-calibre cannon in a rotating gun turret. They combine this with heavy vehicle armour providing protection for the crew of the weapon and operational mobility, which allows them to position on the battlefield in advantageous locations. These features enable the tank to have enormous capability to perform well in a tactical situation: the combination of strong weapons fire from their tank gun and their ability to resist enemy fire means the tank can take hold of and control an area of the battle and prevent other enemy vehicles from advancing, for example. In both offensive and defensive roles, they are powerful units able to perform all primary tasks[which?] required of armoured troops on the battlefield.[1] The modern tank was the result of a century of development from primitive armoured vehicles, due to improvements in technology such as the internal combustion engine, which allowed the rapid movement of heavy equipment required to construct armoured vehicles. As a result of these advances, tanks underwent tremendous shifts in capability during the World Wars of the 20th century.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but... the tape

• Locked thread