Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Starhawk64 posted:

Too bad the sequel is probably never going to happen. Prey ended on such a sequel tease.

The sequel was officially canned a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, now I want to play a first person shooter that has a ton of portals. Like Portal, but violent. I never played Prey, I guess that was it, huh?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Basically. Prey did some other neat things (mostly involving insane gravity poo poo) but its big draw was the portals. Prey is also legitimately a good game go play it

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, now I want to play a first person shooter that has a ton of portals. Like Portal, but violent. I never played Prey, I guess that was it, huh?

Prey might be right up your alley then.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Did someone say Portal? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9Lb_oz3bc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This just makes me want an all-Bowie Doom mod.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Aeons of Death actually has a portal gun, and a portal gun only speedrun mode in the latest version. Dude was doing a contest when it first was released.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

This just makes me want an all-Bowie Doom mod.

I want this real bad too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't think this has been posted here, but it looks pretty insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYI9LFP0K6U

Good lord, this is how far Doom has come. If you showed that to me in 1994 it would have blown my loving mind.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If I recall from the Portal 2 commentary alot of the game uses that same linedef trick. Crazy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

McDowell posted:

If I recall from the Portal 2 commentary alot of the game uses that same linedef trick. Crazy.
They actually removed every instance of that from the game and manually stitched the maps together again once they were done... except for one single room, which is slightly larger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

5-D Space from Marathon 2 is left sadly forgotten in the corner, crying, yet again.
Didn't play far enough into Marathon 2: Durandal to see any examples, sorry.

Dicked around with it a bit last night, including making a 720° circlular corridor a la the map I cited. Not entirely sure where to go from there; monsters aren't typically too eager to follow through portals, to my understanding (their logic thinks to head directly to your actual position in the map the normal way, not realizing a portal exists to open up a shortcut), although I suppose it could make a decent deathmatch map (although given it'd be limited to an as-yet unofficial branch of vanilla ZDoom and not, say, Zandronum, that would also be of limited use, surely).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

5D space is all over the Marathon games because it's easy to do by accident in the map editor and has no side effects. It's only visible when it's really egregious and deliberately presented to the player, like in the netmap with that name.

The Xbox 360 port spends a lot of effort duplicating software-style portal clipping because just feeding the base geometry into DirectX and relying on the Z-buffer alone makes these accidental intersections visible and they turned up in all kinds of places we hadn't even been aware of. Buildings where the first story's ceiling is above the second story's floor. Hallways that we never realized clipped into each other.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 12, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Dicked around with it a bit last night, including making a 720° circlular corridor a la the map I cited. Not entirely sure where to go from there; monsters aren't typically too eager to follow through portals, to my understanding (their logic thinks to head directly to your actual position in the map the normal way, not realizing a portal exists to open up a shortcut), although I suppose it could make a decent deathmatch map (although given it'd be limited to an as-yet unofficial branch of vanilla ZDoom and not, say, Zandronum, that would also be of limited use, surely).

You'd probably have to rewrite how the AI works from the ground up in order to get it to work with the portals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

5D space is all over the Marathon games because it's easy to do by accident in the map editor and has no side effects. It's only visible when it's really egregious and deliberately presented to the player, like in the netmap with that name.

Isn't this 4-D space? What makes it 5-D?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

ToxicFrog posted:

How do you use the Technician's Scavenger ability in DoomRL Arsenal? The OP says that you can break down Exotic and Assembled equipment for mods, but I can't figure out how to actually do this and there's nothing in the keybinds for it either.

E: ok, for weapons it's equip the weapon, then <drla_drop_weapon><alt_fire>. How do you disassemble armour? Or can you?

E2: Holy poo poo, this has quite some balance implications. For example, the shop sells standard modpacks for $5000. But for $550 you can get the shittiest Exotic in the game, the Blaster, and then disassemble it into a random standard modpack! So if you're playing a Technician you get modpacks at a 90% discount right from the start of the game, and once your discount goes above 10% it's actually profitable to buy Blasters, disassemble them into random modpacks, and then sell the modpacks.

Holy crap, there's a store in DRLA? And you can export characters?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

except for one single room, which is slightly larger on the inside than it is on the outside.

This is why we need House of Leaves: The Game (or at least The Interactive Experience). Seriously, anyone reading this who loves impossible/non-euclidian geometry and architecture, read that book. It's like all that wrapped up in psychological horror.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

"2.5D" x2 = 5D

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
After all the DoomRPG + Arsenal talk, I'm going to give it a shot and stream it for a bit tonight. Feel free to pop in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

e: Got to map 12 of Going Down. That's an intense wad with good tunes, I like it a lot. Definitely a bit overpowered as a DoomRPG/RL character but it's a pretty nice break from vanilla. I'll finish it on stream in the next few nights.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 13, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

It's a bit more complicated, since the overlapping sectors don't actually interact with each other either. You can have player 1 and player 2 standing in basically the exact same spot, but they wouldn't be able to see or hurt each other, and their two rooms would be completely different.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm pissed all the really high level weapons in DoomRPG have stupid high splash damage. The Antifreak Jackal and the Judge of the Dead, specifically. Yes, they're very a powerful pistol and shotgun. But if you can't fire these weapons at point-blank range, what's the point?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

nexus6 posted:

Holy crap, there's a store in DRLA? And you can export characters?

Only with DoomRPG.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

jerkstoresup posted:

After all the DoomRPG + Arsenal talk, I'm going to give it a shot and stream it for a bit tonight. Feel free to pop in and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

e: Got to map 12 of Going Down. That's an intense wad with good tunes, I like it a lot. Definitely a bit overpowered as a DoomRPG/RL character but it's a pretty nice break from vanilla. I'll finish it on stream in the next few nights.

Mind linking to all the various things you used? I tried getting DoomRPG to work before, but ZDL didn't approve. :smith:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

haveblue posted:

The sequel was officially canned a few days ago.

Bethesda officially confirmed Human Head's game as cancelled a few days ago, which isn't really news. It's been dead for a while now.

They said nothing about the Arkane Texas version which has never been officially acknowledged but has been confirmed real by multiple sources.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been dead for a while now.

Wasn't the original Prey in development hell for like ten years too?

Also I've never played Prey. I should get on that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Prey is your fairly average console shooter. There's nothing about it that I remember as being outright bad, and it actually has a gimmick that people aren't using anymore. I'd say its worth it in the way that something like Timeshift or Singularity are worth it, mainly for the uniqueness of the gimmick.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I haven't played Prey, but comparing it to Singularity does it no favors. That game was astonishingly mediocre.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Mind linking to all the various things you used? I tried getting DoomRPG to work before, but ZDL didn't approve. :smith:

I was trying to do this last night and the only way I could get everything to load was by making a bat file as described here: https://github.com/Kyle873/DoomRPG/wiki

If you copy those examples you'll have to change them a bit because the arsenal versions listed are out of date (which I think is why the launcher no longer works?), and remember DoomRPG doesn't actually include the arsenal wads so you'll need to download them separately here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=37044

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Actually I never tried but if you can drag and drop the whole DoomRPG folder into ZDL maybe that could still work. That's why you use a bat file, because there isn't just a simple DoomRPG wad to load.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 13, 2014

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I made pk3s out of each DoomRPG folder and loaded them with QLZ like so:

Everything seemed to be working.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

Prey might be right up your alley then.

Unlike Portal, the gimmicks come as pre-set level stuff. It's still interesting, though, like getting shrunk and fighting on a planet, or making your way through a spatially-distorted maze that wraps on itself.

It's an alright shooter, though. Wish it could have done more.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Prey was really good except for the actual feel of the combat, which was clunky in that typical mid-2000s way. Still a memorable experience with lots of great set pieces, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking again about Jedi Knight Outcast, holy mother of gently caress, Nar Shadaa can go straight to hell. I genuinely don't feel like playing further into the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mak0rz posted:

Wasn't the original Prey in development hell for like ten years too?

Also I've never played Prey. I should get on that.

Yeah, Prey was originally conceived by Tom Hall after he'd finished up on ROTT but it went through a ton of changes and different versions before it finally came out. They were just generally floundering on what they wanted the game to be and how the portal tech was gonna work, I think.

Prey 2 is a whole different story - Zenimax bought the IP for god knows what reason and has struggled to do anything with it, and the Human Head game fell apart because Zenimax/Bethesda tried to impose a forced buyout on them and it didn't take, so now they're trying again with Arkane US because they don't want to admit they wasted their money on a dud IP, I guess?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking again about Jedi Knight Outcast, holy mother of gently caress, Nar Shadaa can go straight to hell. I genuinely don't feel like playing further into the game.

You're almost at the good part of the game, just push a bit farther.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

You're almost at the good part of the game, just push a bit farther.

Yeah, maybe some day, in a galaxy far, far away. For now, to hell with it. And I LOVED the previous game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's always Jedi Academy, though it is considerably more simple than JO.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
A protip for anyone just getting into JK2/Academy: when you get the lightsaber go into the console and put in g_saberrealisticcombat 1. Makes the game a thousand times better.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I started to play going down and I didn't know Cyriak made it until I heard the music. That came as a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

a retard posted:

A protip for anyone just getting into JK2/Academy: when you get the lightsaber go into the console and put in g_saberrealisticcombat 1. Makes the game a thousand times better.

This, but type g_saberrealisticcombat 3000 instead