Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

_Endgame_ posted:

You'll hear it here first, world renowned unluckiest Mario Kart player Endgame right here. Single mushrooms in last place while everyone else gets stars and bullet bills. Get 1st place for most of the race? Hope you like 10 red shells down your rear end in a top hat.

You know that old saying "I'd rather be lucky than good"? That was coined while playing Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

This is the fifth time I've seen that gif and the suffering it inflicts has not diminished at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mario Kart is suffering.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Suspicious Cook posted:

You know that old saying "I'd rather be lucky than good"? That was coined while playing Mario Kart.

Oh my goodness.

I want to give that poor person a hug for such a bad beat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_Endgame_ posted:

You'll hear it here first, world renowned unluckiest Mario Kart player Endgame right here. Single mushrooms in last place while everyone else gets stars and bullet bills. Get 1st place for most of the race? Hope you like 10 red shells down your rear end in a top hat.

In a race I just did I got coins almost every single time despite not being in first for the majority of the race. The exception was a single green shell I got at the last box at a point where it was useless and didn't matter.

In the race before that I threw a bomb, got hit by someone else's bomb, hit my own when I recovered, then got hit by another person's bomb as I recovered from that.

Really, at some point you have to just throw up your hands and go, "Yeah, that's Mario Kart."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That is Mario Kart, though. For every time you get hosed out of first place by a blue and two reds in a row, there's a time when you get first and clearly don't deserve it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I find the short cut in Mute City almost impossible to drive down! It's such a sudden right turn but if you do the map on time trial you have to go down there or you've got no chance at a win, it's a shame.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Suspicious Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq-oQj-UdtA

Please enjoy.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

My only question here is why is that video at 60fps but double speed

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Gotta love it when one jackass picks random or not-dlc and that's where the roulette lands!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

robot roll call posted:

Gotta love it when one jackass picks random or not-dlc and that's where the roulette lands!

This happened all night for us. We didn't even get to play on Mute City.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

robot roll call posted:

Sorry but when it's between Shy Guy Falls and Yoshi Circuit I'm going to pick Shy Guy Falls every time and not even feel remotely bad about it. :colbert:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RyokoTK posted:

That is Mario Kart, though. For every time you get hosed out of first place by a blue and two reds in a row, there's a time when you get first and clearly don't deserve it.

Try about a dozen times you win by screwing over someone else for every blue shell that you get hit by. Anybody that complains about it is a big loving baby.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The worst part about the DLC is that you can do 32-course Vs. Mode and not get Mount Wario, Bowser's Castle, or Electrodrome.

Which is exactly what happened to me. :(

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Yoshi Circuit loving rules because so many people are completely terrible at it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yoshi Circuit is really, really good. It's a drat hard course and doesn't have any stupid poo poo in it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

The secret is to just drive straight down the middle of that part with all the little curves.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

robot roll call posted:

The secret is to just drive straight down the middle of that part with all the little curves.

Sssh, don't let them know.

But yeah, anyone who hasn't figured this out in the 11 years the track has existed deserves their offroad fate at those turns.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My secret is to pick a heavy character or cruiser and just jump over the entire patches of grass.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm surprised no one's pointed out my favorite part of the Hyrule Circuit, the new item jingle.

It's a really, really nice touch.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

gently caress this is a really good set of tracks. I mean of course I loved cruising through Mute City in the Blue Falcon while obnoxiously singing the theme along with it but I was surprised how much I dug the Excitebike and Yoshi Circuit tracks. Plus the mine carts being anti grav boosts on Wario's Gold Mine is a nice touch.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Anyone know what gets a triforce to appear above Link's head sometimes when pressing the jump button as you go off a jump? I can't figure out how to consistently make it happen, and I can't tell if it signifies anything special (good timing? Slightly bigger boost?).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think that's just doing a trick without pressing the control stick in any direction.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I thought all the poses your characters did were just randomly chosen.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Anyone know what gets a triforce to appear above Link's head sometimes when pressing the jump button as you go off a jump? I can't figure out how to consistently make it happen, and I can't tell if it signifies anything special (good timing? Slightly bigger boost?).

It's one of his three tricks. It does nothing.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Is Link comperable to Rosalina in weight?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I believe he's been noted as identical in stats to Waluigi and Roy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So when I click on a tournament and it has a little silhouette of a person in the lower left and then gives me a number - is that the number of people CURRENTLY in matches or just the people who have played it in the last week or so?

Because I keep entering matches that send me to empty lobbies, no matter how long I wait. :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RyokoTK posted:

I won a race on SNES Rainbow Road last night because a bob-omb took out 1st-6th on the last corner allowing me to just cruise in from 7th on the finish straight. It always goes both ways in MK.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Link is awesome. Hyrule map is awesome. Collecting rupees is awesome. Mario Kart is awesome.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Wait, so is the Eponator an inside drift bike with the stats of a normal bike?

Because if so fingers crossed, the next DLC will have a normal bike with the stats of an inside drift bike and I will be the king of Mario Kart due to spreadsheets.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone know what's up with the little star thing that shows up after some matches in the corner? It fills the icon in when I hit the plus button. Maybe it's like a "save this replay" button? But i'm pretty sure it shows up even when there isn't replays.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davinci posted:

Anyone know what's up with the little star thing that shows up after some matches in the corner? It fills the icon in when I hit the plus button. Maybe it's like a "save this replay" button? But i'm pretty sure it shows up even when there isn't replays.

It flags the replay of that race as a favorite, so it will never be deleted or overwritten unless you unstar it.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Yes, it is the save your replay button. Go into your MKTV and scroll through to find/delete the ones you've saved already.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Suspicious Cook posted:

I thought all the poses your characters did were just randomly chosen.

You can hold the stick in a direction to pick a particular trick. For example, hold up when you press jump and you'll do a front flip. If you hold no direction, you get something random.

Amppelix posted:

It's one of his three tricks. It does nothing.

Sounds about right, thanks!

Narcissus1916 posted:

So when I click on a tournament and it has a little silhouette of a person in the lower left and then gives me a number - is that the number of people CURRENTLY in matches or just the people who have played it in the last week or so?

Because I keep entering matches that send me to empty lobbies, no matter how long I wait. :(

It's a number of people who have recently been in the tournament. Like in the last day or so. That said, it's not uncommon to join a tournament where you know there are people only to end up in an empty lobby. In that case you can either keep trying or join a friend who's already in the tournament.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 14, 2014

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

It flags the replay of that race as a favorite, so it will never be deleted or overwritten unless you unstar it.

Trudis posted:

Yes, it is the save your replay button. Go into your MKTV and scroll through to find/delete the ones you've saved already.
Thank you. I will now proceed to unstar all of them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

robot roll call posted:

I figured out a way to straight up Initial D hop-the-curb drift that section and it gets ruined by you fuckers. The guy who had the #1 time trial as of yesterday does it, but who knows who's #1 now! He had a pretty great time; about half a second faster than his nearest competition.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 14, 2014

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

davey4283 posted:

Is Link comperable to Rosalina in weight?

NTT posted:

I believe he's been noted as identical in stats to Waluigi and Roy.

Roy, DK, Waluigi, and Rosalina are all "Cruiserweight" or the lightest of the heavyweight classes, so they all have the same stats. Now Link is with them, too!

http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Kart_8#Driver_statistics This page is pretty useful for looking up stuff like that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Wait, so is the Eponator an inside drift bike with the stats of a normal bike?

It has stats unlike any other bike in the game, actually. It's the only bike that gives you a boost to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

So, where do these tracks rank when integrated with the full list for everyone?

SSS BEST IN GAME Tier
Mount Wario, Sunshine Airport, Mute City, Bowser's Castle, Royal Raceway

Always Vote For It In Lobbies Or You're Dead To Me Tier
Cloudtop Cruise, Hyrule Circuit, Electrodome, Tick Tock Clock, DK Jungle, Dolphin Shoals

Pretty Good! Tier
Ice Ice Outpost, Rainbow Road 64, Wario's Gold Mine, Donut Plains 3, Yoshi Circuit, Wario Stadium, Toad's Turnpike, Dolphin Shoals, Twisted Mansion, Shy Guy Falls, Mario Circuit 8, Toad Harbor, Thwomp Ruins, Sweet Sweet Canyon

Sure, OK Tier
Mario Kart Stadium, Moo Moo Meadows, Cheep Cheep Beach, Water Park, Dragon Driveway, Rainbow Road 8, Excitebike Arena, Bone Dry Dunes

I'd Rather Not Tier
Mario Circuit GBA, Music Park, Piranha Plant Slide, Yoshi Valley, Rainbow Road SNES, Grumble Volcano

Would Delete From the Disc If I Could Tier
Sherbet Land, Dry Dry Desert

• Locked thread