Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Worldwide Panther posted:

Sonic fans have many problems with sudden changes, social interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Pro tip: don't do a google search for Christian Weston Chandler while at work

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So which is more broken: Sonic Boom or AssCreed Unity?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nanomashoes posted:

But this game has lost Sonic's iconic look, as SONIC'S ARMS ARE NOT BLUE

How can people be annoyed at his arms when there's a far more pressing design problem: Those new weird little mini spikes amongst his regular spikes

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Speaking of Sonic fans, has there ever been a writeup as to why they're consistently so strange? Is it like the MLP thing with template-ready characters that can be recolored and made "original" even by the least artistically gifted gremlin? Convoluted, "epic" hack plotlines and melodramatic character relationships from the archie comics? The animes? Chili dogs? I wonder what the Sonic was for people a half century ago. Maybe Superman or something.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Butt Ghost posted:

Personally I can't wait for the inevitable Pokecap'n LP.

He has not done lost world. In fact he has not done anything for a while. I kind of miss him and his crew.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think Boom at least gets more of a pass for being broken in a way that ends the game before it even begins. Unity will constantly crash more than you see NPCs breaking the laws of physics.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

DrManiac posted:

My favorite part of this is sonic's eternal rival Mario is literally the exact opposite. At it's best Mario games are legit masterpieces and among the best platformers of all time (super Mario 3d world, Galaxy 1 &2) and at the absolute worst the games are still fun, just disappointing compared to the gold before it (the billion new super Mario games, sunshine)

It's kinda funny how there are stages in the Galaxy games that are better 3D Sonic games than any of the 3D Sonics have been.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3gpRHPuifg

Look at us go :effort:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

murphyslaw posted:

Speaking of Sonic fans, has there ever been a writeup as to why they're consistently so strange? Is it like the MLP thing with template-ready characters that can be recolored and made "original" even by the least artistically gifted gremlin? Convoluted, "epic" hack plotlines and melodramatic character relationships from the archie comics? The animes? Chili dogs? I wonder what the Sonic was for people a half century ago. Maybe Superman or something.

Honestly I'd say its, in a weird way, the sheer diversity of the character and games that has come about because of SEGA having gone nuts on marketing the character for most of his existence, with a wider variety of incarnations than most characters not in the public domain, or spawned of a toyline, will get. He's had four comic universes with one of them having multiple comic series within it, five tv shows of varying aesthetics and tone, a couple specials, various distinct 'eras' of overall gameplay style with something different and unique to each title, and an absolute tonne of supporting cast culminating from all of those. There's a wide net that you can cover with all that, and well, the wider the net, the greater the number of those with quirks you're going to get as a result. And, well, like you say, the ability to easily create characters ([Thematic name] the [animal species], original don't steal) makes it an easy outlet, especially since the franchise as a whole allows for the various niche possibilities, since they can look to something and say 'Yeah, that's part of Sonic'. Want violence and guns? Shadow the Hedgehog. Need cyberpunk and a bleak setting? Sonic SatAM/Archie series. Want to make something loaded with plot? Adventure onwards has you covered. Want to do something skittish and joke based? Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon and Sonic Boom is your dish. Want a techno future with 'totally radical' sports? Oh look Riders.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It's kinda funny how there are stages in the Galaxy games that are better 3D Sonic games than any of the 3D Sonics have been.

not even remotely true, guy. none of the speed levels in the galaxy games play anything like sonic, and sonic adventure 2, sonic unleashed, sonic colors, and sonic generations all have some amazing sonic levels

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Not sure I'd go THAT far. I mean Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are loving awesome games, but Generations is also really awesome, to the point where I'd say it's a tossup between whether Generations or Galaxy 2 are the best 3D platformers ever. Granted, exactly how "3D" Generations can really be considered is up for debate, but still.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm not 100% sure why autistic weirdos gravitate towards Sonic. Maybe it's because it has cartoon animals and weird "edgy" plot lines? Or maybe they become weirdo furries because of Sonic, I dunno. It's a chicken and the egg scenario.

Autistic kids really do love things that spin, though. Something that spins in a circle is predictable and comforting to them, and they'll often just spin the wheels on toy cars rather than using them as cars. This is why they become infatuated with washing machines and trains. And Sonic has LOTS of spinning.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Nanomashoes posted:

But this game has lost Sonic's iconic look, as SONIC'S ARMS ARE NOT BLUE

But...his arms were never blue.

edit: Oh wait is she saying they now are blue? They're not in the picture.

edit edit: Oh, his arms used to be bald? But his legs are blue. High time they fixed that.

Sorry I never paid attention to Sonic the hedgehog's arms before.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 14, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Flubby posted:

But...his arms were never blue.

edit: Oh wait is she saying they now are blue? They're not in the picture.

He photoshopped his own covers and is goin bonkers or something silly like that.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

That running on water noise sounds like a cat eating wet food

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Just picture an open world Sonic game made by a Ubisoft and Bethesda dream team :unsmigghh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pokecapn posted:

Just picture an open world Sonic game made by a Ubisoft and Bethesda dream team :unsmigghh:

I'm fairly sure that would just make your system die as soon as you put in it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, you never know! We still haven't seen what Sonic Team's making, maybe they drank the Skyrim kool-aid like Xenoblade X and FF15 did.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sharrrk posted:

not even remotely true, guy. none of the speed levels in the galaxy games play anything like sonic, and sonic adventure 2, sonic unleashed, sonic colors, and sonic generations all have some amazing sonic levels

Dash Yoshi plays pretty much how I've always imagined Sonic would play, minus the inability to stop. He's fast enough for his gameplay to be exciting but is easy to manoeuvre in 3D compared to the shopping trolley physics of Generations et al.

A lot of Sonic games have got part of the physics right, but not all of it (see: shopping cart physics at high speed). It's not that Dash Yoshi ever gave a quintessential Sonic experience, but it did play in a way that Sonic Team could stand to learn from, especially after the weird run physics of Lost World.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not 100% sure why autistic weirdos gravitate towards Sonic. Maybe it's because it has cartoon animals and weird "edgy" plot lines? Or maybe they become weirdo furries because of Sonic, I dunno. It's a chicken and the egg scenario.

Autistic kids really do love things that spin, though. Something that spins in a circle is predictable and comforting to them, and they'll often just spin the wheels on toy cars rather than using them as cars. This is why they become infatuated with washing machines and trains. And Sonic has LOTS of spinning.

Considering I am literally autistic, that is... actually an interesting hypothesis. The wheel spinning thing that is. I know I was like that growing up, so maybe it factors in?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Hey, you never know! We still haven't seen what Sonic Team's making, maybe they drank the Skyrim kool-aid like Xenoblade X and FF15 did.

Well they did register that trademark for "Sonic Runners", so maybe it's another racing game really.

But seeing more and more people post videos and waitching streams, it seems that a lot of the game suffers from liking butts, by which I mean there is a lot of "I like this, but..." and that's why it ends up mediocre. People said the've like the scenery, but it is creepily empty. I like the robot designs, but the actual combat is dull, repetetive and you really never get to look at them. Lyric is written in a clever way and actually has good motivation, but ultimately fails to invoke any feeling of threat. The fast running parts are nice and that's where the Enerbeam mechanics shine, but it works in amazing 5FPS all the time.

I did like the Shadow joke with the portal tho.

Oh and you were talking about people wanting Sonic Adventure 3, not Sonic & Knuckles 2. Well I think that people actually now want more Colors 2 and Generations 2, since those were good games. And the point can't get emphasised enough, we got Adventure 3. It was Sonic 06.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i would actually be really interested in the current sonic team's take on the sonic adventure formula

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

sharrrk posted:

Nah.

Cubey posted:

Not sure I'd go THAT far. I mean Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are loving awesome games, but Generations is also really awesome, to the point where I'd say it's a tossup between whether Generations or Galaxy 2 are the best 3D platformers ever. Granted, exactly how "3D" Generations can really be considered is up for debate, but still.

Galaxy 2 is in the running for best game ever so not even close.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

murphyslaw posted:

I wonder what the Sonic was for people a half century ago. Maybe Superman or something.

Comic books, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, D&D

The thing about nerds and fandoms is they never actually change, they just move on to new material. Sexually deviant fanfiction, obsessing over fictional characters, defining your identity based on a piece of media. This poo poo's been going on for as long as mass media has existed

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Comic books, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, D&D

The thing about nerds and fandoms is they never actually change, they just move on to new material. Sexually deviant fanfiction, obsessing over fictional characters, defining your identity based on a piece of media. This poo poo's been going on for as long as mass media has existed

Longer, actually. We have evidence of erotic fanfiction dating all the way back to Rome.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

A theory re:autistic kids and Sonic is that it all comes down to design. Sonic and friends have ENORMOUS eyes, and pretty big mouths, too. This means that whenever they express an emotion, their faces are always easy to read; huge furrowed brow, huge smile, huge frown with angry eyes etc.

Well, with kids that have a really hard time identifying and understanding emotion, faces like that really do make following stories and identifying with characters easier. Kids with autism also usually tend to like Thomas the Tank Engine and Mickey Mouse for the same reasons. It kinda explains why people still buy sonic games, even though in the last 15 years there have been maybe two okay ones.

Also as someone who beat Generations I feel the only way people could have genuinely enjoyed it was some kind of Pavlovian response of "it's like old sonic!!" because that game had crappy level design and bugs out the wazoo as well

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I think Sonic's character design lends a LOT to it. Notice how weird Sonic kids and MLP kids are pretty similar. I'm just thankful that this whole My Little Pony craze was well after my time so I never got into that and I'm old enough to realize how hosed up and weird that is.

The whole cartoon animals with huge eyes and mouths has a lot to do with it, I'd say.

Also... a lot of Sonic stuff is very bizarrely dark for something involving cartoon animals. While I thought the SatAM cartoon was awesome when I was 7, I look at it now and it's just really strange. Cartoon animals in a dark, dystopian setting taken pretty much seriously and not played for laughs very often is just... loving weird. Not to mention that Sonic seems really out of place in the show, both in terms of his character design and personality. SatAM feels like a bunch of elements thrown together that just don't belong.

The Archie Comics are the same way. And the games from about SA1 until Sonic Colors have Sonic and the gang fighting some giant hosed up Final Fantasy monster. The "dark and edgy" thing is taken to the extreme in Shadow and '06, the lowest points of the franchise. Pretty much everything about Shadow and '06 is really loving odd.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

PoptartsNinja posted:

The line in question is pretty much:

Sonic: "Sweet, ramps!"
Tails: "We can use these as ramps!" :downs:

I almost forgot:

Sonic: "That robot is enormous!"
Tails: "Wow, what a huge robot!"

Why yes, thank you Tails. That is what "Enormous" means.

Hey, buddy, I'm five years old. What are big words?

Besides, we had all those va takes, we better use every single one of them. Not single penny goes to waste on this project!

*Game ships with game breaking bugs*

Amppelix posted:

After watching the first 2 hours I can confirm that, as predicted (by me) Amy is the best part of the game. She's the best written character, she has the best gameplay gimmick (she can triple jump and grab ledges), and you get to smash enemies with a huge, pink mallet. Why is Amy not playable in every Sonic game again?

Because she was destroyed in '06 and probably dropped from then on, so yeah.

Even if that is not the reason, I'm still going to blame '06 for that.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I think Sonic's character design lends a LOT to it. Notice how weird Sonic kids and MLP kids are pretty similar. I'm just thankful that this whole My Little Pony craze was well after my time so I never got into that and I'm old enough to realize how hosed up and weird that is.

The whole cartoon animals with huge eyes and mouths has a lot to do with it, I'd say.

Also... a lot of Sonic stuff is very bizarrely dark for something involving cartoon animals. While I thought the SatAM cartoon was awesome when I was 7, I look at it now and it's just really strange. Cartoon animals in a dark, dystopian setting taken pretty much seriously and not played for laughs very often is just... loving weird. Not to mention that Sonic seems really out of place in the show, both in terms of his character design and personality. SatAM feels like a bunch of elements thrown together that just don't belong.

The Archie Comics are the same way. And the games from about SA1 until Sonic Colors have Sonic and the gang fighting some giant hosed up Final Fantasy monster. The "dark and edgy" thing is taken to the extreme in Shadow and '06, the lowest points of the franchise. Pretty much everything about Shadow and '06 is really loving odd.

Hence why I say 06 felts like when they deliberately trying to make some 'epic' story whilst the other stuff just... kinda has it incidentally? Like, in Adventure 2 they blow up half the moon, but it just feels more like it was just kinda thought up as an off suggestion that got taken seriously.

Though, I've also found one of my favourite articles to discuss the matter (albeit in a 'why the fandom will never stop being divided' sense):
http://gamebabble.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/sonic-and-the-worst-fandom-ever/

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sonic Adventure 2 was a confident stride in the wrong direction. I can't bring myself to dislike the game, because for me it's the best Sonic and Knuckles have played in 3D, but the series should never have continued with its storyline.

Dr. Eggman shouldn't have relatives, and there shouldn't be any human characters besides Eggman. Rouge should not exist, especially when they could have just re-introduced an existing character like Nack instead. New characters shouldn't be brought in unless they bring a new style of gameplay, like Tails and Knuckles did (but they also shouldn't be a completely different genre like Big the Cat).

Sonic Boom re-introduces Shadow, but I would be happy if he was just an alternate dimension version of Sonic, since the whole 50 year backstory should not be brought back to the series. They never did explain why Shadow looks so similar to Super Sonic, even though he was created decades before Sonic was born.

There are a lot of things SA2 did well, such as the 2-player mode, the chao garden, bonus content like Green Hill Zone and hard mode versions of each level, 32 different stages each desgined for a specific playstyle, a much larger moveset including the instant light-speed dash, bounce attack and grinding, as well as the ranking system. They just needed to fix the other two playstyles, by letting Knuckles and Rouge detect all three emeralds at once, and making Tails and Eggman control as well as Gamma.

While the modern boost gameplay is fun, it does feel more about performing specific actions to avoid obstacles (like jumping, sliding, side-stepping) since controlling Sonic directly feels so imprecise. It's like the Jump Jump Slide Slide stage in Mega Man 8 rather than a normal Mega Man game. Even when you are platforming at normal speed in a 3D section, Sonic's acceleration feels a bit weird so it's easy to overshoot platforms. It's great that the homing attack has a targeting reticule, but in Sonic Colours he'd refuse to do it unless the enemy was on-screen. This worked terribly in 3D sections, since he'd bounce high enough off the first enemy that the others right below him were off-screen, so he'd do an air dash and just get hit by them.

Everything that a good 3D Sonic game needs has already been achieved, but they've been spread across a dozen different games. They shouldn't still be trying to reinvent the wheel, just focus on improving what they have.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Calico Heart posted:

Well, with kids that have a really hard time identifying and understanding emotion, faces like that really do make following stories and identifying with characters easier. Kids with autism also usually tend to like Thomas the Tank Engine and Mickey Mouse for the same reasons. It kinda explains why people still buy sonic games, even though in the last 15 years there have been maybe two okay ones.

Uh, I think brand recognition is the reason they still sell games, I really doubt there are enough autist gamers in the world to make a video game series profitable.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

Everything that a good 3D Sonic game needs has already been achieved, but they've been spread across a dozen different games. They shouldn't still be trying to reinvent the wheel, just focus on improving what they have.

Which just leads back to why Generations did work so well - outside of the small side missions which, obviously, aren't a big focus, everything you did was just some refinement - whether minor or major - of existing stuff in the series, using an engine that the team probably had the longest experience with of anything they had ever used. And given the modding community that's cropped up around it since the game's release on PC (goddamn I have seen Luigi going through all the rainbow roads save 8's, including with an actual kart), it does seem to a fairly robust engine that could have a lot of potential in it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

That loving Sned posted:

While the modern boost gameplay is fun, it does feel more about performing specific actions to avoid obstacles (like jumping, sliding, side-stepping) since controlling Sonic directly feels so imprecise. It's like the Jump Jump Slide Slide stage in Mega Man 8 rather than a normal Mega Man game. Even when you are platforming at normal speed in a 3D section, Sonic's acceleration feels a bit weird so it's easy to overshoot platforms. It's great that the homing attack has a targeting reticule, but in Sonic Colours he'd refuse to do it unless the enemy was on-screen. This worked terribly in 3D sections, since he'd bounce high enough off the first enemy that the others right below him were off-screen, so he'd do an air dash and just get hit by them.

This is the main reason I think that if you run boost gameplay you should ignore straight slow platforming sections. That engine is incredible for pretending it's F-Zero GX but with jumping and just so awful whenever it tries to make you do precision platforming.

A lot of that is what made Planet Wisp into such a chore in Generations compared to Rooftop run which is goddamn incredible.

You're completely right though, they have all the tools. They just need to find a way to shoehorn in the Generations gimmick into every game they make and I'll buy a Sonic game every time it comes out.

Here's mine. Robotnik steals the Chaos emeralds and enshrines them in factories across the world for badnik production. Sonic needs to get them back to stop his dastardly scheme. Act 1 Sonic ventures into the Fire/Water/Desert/Space factories in traditional Sonic Platforming gameplay.

Mid act boss - A boss appears to defend the Emerald, Sonic must beat this boss in Act 1 style.

Sonic grabs the emerald, but him doing so causes the plant to overload. Using the Chaos energy, Sonic gains the ability to boost and leaves the now exploding factory at top speed. You can even have alternate pathways appear and disappear based on how quickly you've got to them. Hell, throw in Chaos control as a time stop mechanic if you want.

End of Act boss - A boss appears to try and retrieve the emerald or pen Sonic into the exploding factory.

7 emeralds, 7 levels, 14 acts and in the last level the final boost stage is as Super Sonic. Job's a good'un.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Kikas posted:

Well they did register that trademark for "Sonic Runners", so maybe it's another racing game really.

It's going to be a one-button endless runner game on iOS and Android, free to play but with microtransactions. Think I'm joking? Look what they did to loving Mega Man.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kurtofan posted:

I really doubt there are enough autist gamers in the world to make a video game series profitable.

Didn't you know? Literally half of the entire gaming population as a whole is autistic.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cubey posted:

You are delusional.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hungry Bit posted:

It's going to be a one-button endless runner game on iOS and Android, free to play but with microtransactions. Think I'm joking? Look what they did to loving Mega Man.

They already did that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Sonic grabs the emerald, but him doing so causes the plant to overload. Using the Chaos energy, Sonic gains the ability to boost and leaves the now exploding factory at top speed. You can even have alternate pathways appear and disappear based on how quickly you've got to them. Hell, throw in Chaos control as a time stop mechanic if you want.

That reminds me of Wario Land 4, where you hit a switch at the end of each stage and had to race back to the start under a time limit. New pathways would be opened or blocked off, but it meant that you were familiar with the stage before you had to run through it. Wario's sprint was very fun to use too, and made him almost invincible when he hit full speed.

Another thing the Adventure series did well, and Sonic Colours too, was having interesting level types. SA1 had Sky Deck, where you started off on the underside of the Egg Carrier, worked your way to the top of it and had to avoid strong wind currents blowing you off, and in the last part the entire stage would rotate. SA2 had you explore a Pyramid (although it would have been better if Sonic could run on the outside of it like in the 2-player rail stage), and a stage set on the underside of a space station, with only rails preventing you from burning up on re-entry.

Sonic Unleashed's stages were all based on real-world continents, and Lost World was just typical platformer stages ripped straight from New Super Mario Bros. That doesn't mean that their stages weren't as fun, and even the ones I listed above were done in previous games, like Wing Fortress, Sandopolis, and Death Egg, but they had enough unique moments to be memorable.

Since I can't shut up about Sonic for some reason, I might as well mention how much I appreciate Sonic Generations including music from Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic 3's 2-player mode. I also love how all the menus were done in the style of the Japanese boxarts. It's kinda hard to believe they got the fanservice so right when they spent the past decade believing we really wanted to know what Shadow's backstory was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

That loving Sned posted:

They never did explain why Shadow looks so similar to Super Sonic, even though he was created decades before Sonic was born.
I hate that I remember this but wasn't there an explanation that his creator saw the murals of Super Sonic and Perfect Chaos from Sonic Adventure 1 and was inspired by that? I think it might have been in a side game like Sonic Battle.

• Locked thread