Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Goofy CG art is an acquired taste, I love that stuff. Game Day Utter End just looks like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

qbert posted:

The worst offender is the Game Day Utter End promo.

let's be real, the art on that card is so lovely it's an accomplishment

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
They seriously need to bring back Rebecca Guay.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zemyla posted:

Last time she did a new piece was Lorwyn I think.

She needs to come back.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, I hate it when random MTGO players cuss you out too, but you're going to get it if you play ultra loving slow on your aggro deck.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cernunnos posted:

Last time she did a new piece was Lorwyn I think.

She needs to come back.
She did that promo Path to Exile a couple of years after, but I think that was the last thing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I still can't believe the average Magic player is enough of an uncultured swine that we're not going to return to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. :saddowns:

e: And that Wizards is so obsessed with the bottom line despite literally making GBS threads money out of every orifice regardless of the quality of their products

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I don't see why we wouldn't go back there at some point; look at how long it took for a return to Ravnica and Mirrodin to take place.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I hate it when random MTGO players cuss you out too, but you're going to get it if you play ultra loving slow on your aggro deck.

I don't know what it is about red deck players, but they are often infinitely slower than the control opponents I have.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

I don't see why we wouldn't go back there at some point; look at how long it took for a return to Ravnica and Mirrodin to take place.

Ravnica and Mirrodin are popular planes, LOR/SHM aren't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't know what it is about red deck players, but they are often infinitely slower than the control opponents I have.

Aren't aggro decks usually much harder to pilot than control?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Absolutely. You don't get second chances so your math has to be perfect.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Why doesn't Rebecca Guay do any more MTG art? did she have a falling out with WotC?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elyv posted:

Ravnica and Mirrodin are popular planes, LOR/SHM aren't.

Isn't. :eng101: :spergin:

It's all the same Plane, it just flips from Constant Daytime Lorwyn to Constant Nighttime (and cooler Basic-Land-Art) Shadowmoor at certain intervals (I forget exactly how long but it's pretty lengthy) because Oona's kind-of a dick and cursed the whole Plane and all it's non-Faerie inhabitants.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pyronic posted:

Why doesn't Rebecca Guay do any more MTG art? did she have a falling out with WotC?

Her art doesn't match the modern house style.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't it just that she's got better stuff to do? I mean Terese Nielsen's still welcome.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Her art doesn't match the modern house style.

That's a drat shame. I can see why they dont use like Phil Foglio anymore, but Guay? :\

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Pyronic posted:

My best guess is she doesn't want to make Magic art at this point. Like most Magic fans, Magic's art directors probably love Guay and would give her more work in a heartbeat if she wanted it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

Isn't. :eng101: :spergin:

It's all the same Plane, it just flips from Constant Daytime Lorwyn to Constant Nighttime (and cooler Basic-Land-Art) Shadowmoor at certain intervals (I forget exactly how long but it's pretty lengthy) because Oona's kind-of a dick and cursed the whole Plane and all it's non-Faerie inhabitants.

I'm actually aware of that, I just had a bad choice of word.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kabanaw posted:

My best guess is she doesn't want to make Magic art at this point. Like most Magic fans, Magic's art directors probably love Guay and would give her more work in a heartbeat if she wanted it.

Actually, Wizards has some compensation policies for artists based on things like the number of pieces they've done. Guay's not willing to work on commission for what Wizards would pay her, and Wizards isn't willing to make an exception to their pay rules. Of course they're also not pushing too hard to get her back, since she clashes with the modern art direction pretty hard. I remember an old article talking about how Magic cards used to be like illustrations in a wizard's encyclopedia, and now they're clearly intended to be more like photographs of the subject.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Some people are so fast to complain about slow play on MODO, expecting some random Internet stranger to have the same agenda they do.

You can not see my hand so if I feel the need to spend a minute of my time thinking about my next plays I will do. If I consistently take too long doing this then I will time out and loose so that's my choice.

O... and if this is a tournament practice game you joined with only ten minutes until your daily triggers, then it is you who has bad time management skills not me so shush whining.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Other people have exactly the same amount of right to complain about your slow play in a practice room as you do to slow play in the practice room, and just as much right to whine about it as you are whining about it on the forums.

Have the horrible systems requirements problems cut down on multi-queuing any?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Spiderdrake posted:

Other people have exactly the same amount of right to complain about your slow play in a practice room as you do to slow play in the practice room

My point is complaining about slow play in a competitive game where both players are on a clock is retarded.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

DoctorOozy posted:

My point is complaining about slow play in a competitive game where both players are on a clock is retarded.

I would like to see how a chess clock situation would work out in magic IRL. it's probably not feasible given all the passes in priority and whatnot but there's something to be said for having an out to players who drag games out intentionally or not. We briefly had a drafter at my LGS who figured out that you only need to win the first match and then draw the second to win the round, so he would play at a normal pace and if he won the first he would drag the hell out of the second until time or if he lost the first he would drag game 3 out to force a draw. It was a weird approach because the prize pool has a pretty flat curve and doesn't favor draw points. He got a few talking tos by the judge but always stuck by his "I'm thinking!" guns. He was eventually caught drawing extra cards against inexperienced players and stopped coming for some reason :iiam:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The trouble I have with the idea of a chess clock for paper Magic is that I spend some amount of time dealing with making sure my opponent is following the rules. On MTGO I don't need to do things like double check that my opponent has the correct mana for a spell. I don't have to explain how a card works, how combat works, how morph works.

I guess in a game competitive enough for a chess clock you'd theoretically be playing with people who know what they're doing. I'd still be worried about wasting my own time checking their Devotion math or whatever.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

Zemyla posted:

Whilst Cubing the other day, my SO commented on the awesome art for Wood Elves. I would love an all-Guay/Nielsen cube or an Arthurian fantasy block.

Having said that, I love the visual design for Khans - feels very rich and diverse both geographically and ethnographically. Theros was good too for the key art, but there was something off with the RTR art - didn't evoke the same feeling as original Ravnica.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Aren't aggro decks usually much harder to pilot than control?

It really depends. Unquestionably aggro has the lower floor, meaning that it is easier to to start playing an aggro deck than a control deck. Aggro decks, at their most basic level are decks that play dudes, and turn them sideways, which is a very basic, early acquired skill in magic.

With that being said, playing an aggro deck optimally can be incredibly difficult. I forgot what video they addressed this in, but on magic TV they were talking about the hardest decks to pilot, and one of them was modern affinity. THe crux of the discussion was that affinity is packed with so many powerful cards and plays it is an easy deck to play and get wins with (this is pre-treasure cruise), but the sheer deluge of choices that change how quickly one can win and how consistently MAKES it a difficult deck to play optimally.

Control decks tend to have a higher floor. It is much harder to jump in with little experience in a metagame and pilot a control deck. The maxim "Their are no wrong threats, only wrong answers," comes into play here. The challenge with a control deck is knowing what answers to bring to any particular event. Beyond just having the correct answers you have to sequence each answer correctly and know when NOT to answer a threat in order to gain value. People here are thinking of control decks as particularly easy to pilot as we recently came off the heels of a very powerful UW deck that used Sphinx's revelation as a card to lock the game away. However, that deck required not only correct play but SWIFT play. UW control, especially the versions that didn't run Aetherling, would often have the problem of timing out and sending both players into the draw bracket(essentially a loss for both players in most cases), meaning that not only did you have to know what spells to play when, but quick evaluation and execution were incredibly important. Aggro deck pilots can afford to be much more deliberate in their play as, if the game was going to go to time, it wasn't a game they were going to win anyway.

Arguing over which archetype is easier to pilot is a bit, well dumb, specific decks in specific metagames determine what is easier or harder to pilot. Kai Budde's Cunning Wake deck, http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1923 , I would argue is harder to pilot optimally than ANY aggro deck currently in standard and I would also say that Modern Affinity is a harder deck to pilot still. Besides, arguments over what deck is harder to pilot, aggro or control, are missing the forest for the trees when decks like Doomsday exist.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Would you say that MeliraPod is an example of a very complicated Aggro deck? You win by turning dudes sideways but the deck contains a high number of alternative lines of play?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would say, in general, control decks require a player to know their opponent's deck more than an aggro deck. Aggro decks requires a player to know their own deck more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does a record like Kai Budde's seem impossible now because of changes to game itself (more variance for whatever reason) or changes around it (net decking, team based collaborations, and just a larger pool of talent)?

I mean his results seem almost mathematically impossible nowadays.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

bhsman posted:

Would you say that MeliraPod is an example of a very complicated Aggro deck? You win by turning dudes sideways but the deck contains a high number of alternative lines of play?

I would hesitate to label it "aggro," in the same way I would label zoo or affinity. Much like how affinity was a Aggro-Combo deck back in Onslaught-Mirrodin standard, I would call, at least Melira pod a Midrange-Combo deck. It does have the ability to just oops win out of nowhere, but its focus on value creatures and larger creatures otherwise makes it more of a midrange deck, at least to me than an aggro deck.

Rinkles posted:

Does a record like Kai Budde's seem impossible now because of changes to game itself (more variance for whatever reason) or changes around it (net decking, team based collaborations, and just a larger pool of talent)?

I mean his results seem almost mathematically impossible nowadays.

Competition has never been as fierce in magic as it has been now. We have multiple high level tournaments every week, and hundred of players worldwide that grind decks down to perfection. That being said, Kai's record was nigh impossible then and his play skill, at his prime was astounding. He earned the name "The German Juggernaut" for a reason.

I agree it is much harder to achieve the same record nowadays, but I wouldn't say impossible. All it takes is one person out of thousands to be the right combination of lucky and skilled.

AlternateNu posted:

I would say, in general, control decks require a player to know their opponent's deck more than an aggro deck. Aggro decks requires a player to know their own deck more.

I can agree with that assessment. Control decks are much more about predicting what threats your opponent will issue you, and lining up your answers accordingly. Aggro decks, though they oftentimes want to play around some answers, Bile Blight/Wrath effects especially, more often than not, aggro decks are trying to maximize their damage in the fewest number of turns.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 14, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think it would be cool if they kept their boring quasi-realistic fantasy style for regular cards but got cool artists like Guay to do more unusual or impressionistic styles for all the promo versions.

Just ditch the shiny CGI bullshit.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I think it would be cool if they kept their boring quasi-realistic fantasy style for regular cards but got cool artists like Guay to do more unusual or impressionistic styles for all the promo versions.

Pretty sure they missed the boat on that when Theros block came and went in terms of FNM promos

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Entropic posted:

I would be happy if they just did this. At best, it looks bland and uninteresting. At worst, it looks like Reboot fanart.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Anyone else getting ready to go to GP Brainstorm? I've got a burn deck i managed to borrow, though even if that didnt work out i would just register with 60 mountains.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

A big flaming stink posted:

Anyone else getting ready to go to GP Brainstorm? I've got a burn deck i managed to borrow, though even if that didnt work out i would just register with 60 mountains.

Throw a few islands in.

For value.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

bhsman posted:

MeliraPod is not an aggro deck, if you really want to categorize it it's like midrange/combo or something.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kabanaw posted:

But she didn't do the artwork on heartbeat.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

It's really sad cause even though I normally hate on Rebecca Guay that promo PTE art was amazing and leagues above the original version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sucks that I can't go to GP NJ seeing as its right in my backyard.

I suppose its alright seeing as I don't have a legacy deck and only wanted the GP Batterskull anyway.

Which I'll be able to get in any of the stores around here in about a week.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 14, 2014

• Locked thread