Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Samurai Sanders posted:

- I dunno if this is related to coop as such, but I needed to get underground to search for someone (I could see them there using eagle vision), but all of the MARKED staircases were locked. After like ten minutes of searching I found an unmarked staircase that I could use.

I know the mission you mean. I think it's intentional, like "make this mission so much easier if someone has lockpicking!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Murodese posted:

I know the mission you mean. I think it's intentional, like "make this mission so much easier if someone has lockpicking!!"
I did, but not at a high enough level. This is a one-star difficulty mission, after all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got Rogue from a Redbox and played a couple hours today, it basically plays identically to Black Flag. So far nothing of note has really happened, but the core gameplay is as fun as Black Flag and they give you the ship really quickly. It's definitely worth a rental at least.

KittySpinEcho
Jun 8, 2013

Be bear aware!
I uploaded a quick video of some gameplay for you guys to take a look at. Just a clip of me doing some stealthy stuff in a mission where you have to pickpocket some French dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLrA9p3gdY

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Applied as wardevw. Also, I seem to be unique in that I have encountered absolutely no bugs, and the game's real failing for me is the awful performance. I really like the game! I just wish it didn't run like complete poo poo. I hope the patch fixes ihahahah what am I even saying

edit: also you can't pet cats, PREORDER CANCELLED

edit 2: WAS there some sort of patch? Because I booted up the game tonight and it's running better than it ever has before.

Last edit, promise: hot drat, this game is really fun when it actually works. There seriously needs to be a high-five emote, or something, because I just went into a co-op mission with one other guy, where you're supposed to assassinate three separate targets, and the way we worked in sync with our double air assassinations, cherry bomb lures, and this one moment where he set up a distraction to get all of the guards to follow him so I could break in through a window and kill one of the targets was a thing of loving beauty. When this game goes right, it really goes right.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 14, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I've been playing Unity for a while and I still haven't had the game on PS4 drop down to an unplayable framerate, not even in that stained glass church, which you go back to again later. The only bugs I've encountered so far is falling through the ground twice which is a first for me in an Assassins Creed game. The second bug was on a mission in a graveyard and theres a mob of people outside of it but they can't get in because its all walled/gated off. However as soon as I finished the mission people started phasing through walls, gliding up and down walls and walking through the graveyard despite the fact that there is no way for anyone to get in without climbing up and over the walls.

Chests you can't open without the companion app are inexcusable, there is no loving reason to make you play some dumb phone app to get something in a game. The golden chests locked without having the appropriate initiate level wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for the fact that there is no way to get past lvl 1 because it doesn't loving work and doesn't recognize your previous games despite the fact that I've played every major AssCreed game with this account. The red locked chests are also bullshit because it's an annoying reaction minigame and you usually get a whopping 150 livres.

The story itself isn't any better or worse than any other Assassins Creed game. Arno is likeable enough but still not as interesting as Ezio or Edward but definitely better than Connor or Altair. I also don't understand why they didn't use people speaking with French accents like the did with Ac2 and Brotherhood with Italian accents. The people on the streets in Unity actually speak French so the combination is even weirder.

Every co-op mission I've done so far has worked fine and haven't had any connection issues, I just wish people would use their mics.

You can definitely tell this game had the potential to be a great Assassins Creed game but as it is it definitely deserves its metacritic score. It launched too early and they should have never shoved all this dumb initiate and companion app poo poo into the game, not to mention the bugs and framerate issues people are having. Paris itself is beautifully made and is a lot of fun to run around in and climb all over poo poo.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The mission where you defend the redhead is going to push me over the edge in this game. The barely playable frame rate, the .5 second plus delay on every button press, the 1 minute loading times for everything, I can almost tolerate. But how the hell are you supposed to get a head shot? I get one, get rushed, try to aim and he auto shoots 5 times in a row before I can aim again. Am I missing something or is the shooting still completely broken?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mustang posted:

So I've been playing Unity for a while and I still haven't had the game on PS4 drop down to an unplayable framerate, not even in that stained glass church, which you go back to again later. The only bugs I've encountered so far is falling through the ground twice which is a first for me in an Assassins Creed game. The second bug was on a mission in a graveyard and theres a mob of people outside of it but they can't get in because its all walled/gated off. However as soon as I finished the mission people started phasing through walls, gliding up and down walls and walking through the graveyard despite the fact that there is no way for anyone to get in without climbing up and over the walls.

Chests you can't open without the companion app are inexcusable, there is no loving reason to make you play some dumb phone app to get something in a game. The golden chests locked without having the appropriate initiate level wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for the fact that there is no way to get past lvl 1 because it doesn't loving work and doesn't recognize your previous games despite the fact that I've played every major AssCreed game with this account. The red locked chests are also bullshit because it's an annoying reaction minigame and you usually get a whopping 150 livres.

The story itself isn't any better or worse than any other Assassins Creed game. Arno is likeable enough but still not as interesting as Ezio or Edward but definitely better than Connor or Altair. I also don't understand why they didn't use people speaking with French accents like the did with Ac2 and Brotherhood with Italian accents. The people on the streets in Unity actually speak French so the combination is even weirder.

Every co-op mission I've done so far has worked fine and haven't had any connection issues, I just wish people would use their mics.

You can definitely tell this game had the potential to be a great Assassins Creed game but as it is it definitely deserves its metacritic score. It launched too early and they should have never shoved all this dumb initiate and companion app poo poo into the game, not to mention the bugs and framerate issues people are having. Paris itself is beautifully made and is a lot of fun to run around in and climb all over poo poo.

pretty much this, i think the combat and running have been improved . I hope they learn from all the bad poo poo too though.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Daily Forecast posted:

edit 2: WAS there some sort of patch? Because I booted up the game tonight and it's running better than it ever has before.

Thanks for this - I tested on my PC afterwards and I'm seeing much better performance as well. Framerate is still lower than I'd like, but it's playable with far fewer freezes and hitches than at launch.

*edit - disregard! Alt tabbed to post this, then came back to the original freezes and hitches. Fell thru the world a minute later. This really is garbage.

isk fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 14, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Mine went away too. Who the gently caress even knows what happened. Maybe it's something hilarious, like an Ubisoft service going down and the game running way better without it.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

"Oh sweet! Marquis de Sade"
*crash*
"Where is Germain?"
*crash*
"Nice! Found him!"
*crash, freezes ps4, have to unplug it.*

Why do I keep playing this?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Playing on PC. The patch did seem to help a little but only a gain of a couple of frames for me. Instead of 19-25, I'm getting 20-29. Of course that's only if I'm in small alleyways or staring at the skybox. I honestly just rather them remove the npc count, reflections and some and cloth effects. Rather have high fps than pretty graphics.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Is the new freerunning incredibly floaty for anyone else? If I run towards another building holding freerun up Arno almost teleports to the next building. I'm finding it very jarring and not smooth at all - and this is compared to freerunning in all the previous games.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

macnbc posted:

No it doesn't matter with Steam. The old version of Initiates had a manual sync function but it seems the new automatic one doesn't work correctly. I was like level 11 or 12 under the old system with everything synced up properly but now it says I'm level 1 with no games, so clearly it isn't working right still.

So it's typical Ubisoft? Rad.

How does it read your accomplishments? Through save files? Because I'm working my way through the franchise and have uninstalled everything pre-3, and I don't think any of them had cloud saves. :/

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Getting on PC version in 10-15 minutes if anyone wants to do some co-op stuffs. Especially looking to do the stealthier things since I can't get those done with pubbies lmao.

steam name: Munion

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
So is AC: Rogue as broken as Unity or is it worth playing?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's not broken at all and it's great.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Did you like AC4? After the credits rolled, did you ask yourself, "Gee, where can I get more of almost exactly that in a more temperate setting, featuring a protagonist with an accent from a different part of the British Isles?"

Alternatively, after AC3 ended did you find yourself asking where the gently caress Ben Franklin was all that time?

If the answer to either question was yes, then yeah, go nuts. I'd probably rent it or wait for Black Friday though, because even a dozen hours in I'm not sure it was worth $60.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
So far the most interesting thing about Unity is the fact that all the key characters - none of whom are British - speak with generic movie-British accents, but all the ambient NPCs speak French. Does Ubisoft not trust players to relate to characters with French accents? Or can actors just not pull off French accents without sounding like cartoons? Has American culture forever relegated the French accent to an object of scorn and ridicule? IF AC: Unity achieves anything maybe it can be the uncomfortable reconciliation of the Anglo-Saxon and Latin worlds after the rift of the Napoleonic Wars. I knew I bought this French Revolution game for a reason.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I finally had a completely successful co-op mission (minus no one communicating with anyone). They can be a lot of fun, and I look forward to more in the future.

edit: having sandwich-making-length load times on both sides (same as every other time) is kind of a problem though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 14, 2014

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Feenix posted:

Don't be an apologist. How can it be on our end? You saying everyone has bad consoles?

I can't believe how many people come out of the woodwork to either shill for Ubi

I'm pretty sure Something Awful's metamorphosis into the hyperbolic Reddit echochamber is nearing it's conclusion. I'm finding it harder and harder to tell the two apart, especially when it comes to gaming discussion. Maybe gamers are just getting dumber?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally had a completely successful co-op mission (minus no one communicating with anyone). They can be a lot of fun, and I look forward to more in the future.

edit: having sandwich-making length load times on both sides (same as every other time) is kind of a problem though.

I only played one, (every other attempt to connect found no one) but it was neat in theory but was just 4 dudes racing to do everything as brazenly and overtly as possible. And if you weren't down with that pace and lack of restraint, you basically missed out on the mission's activities.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm pretty sure Something Awful's metamorphosis into the hyperbolic Reddit echochamber is nearing it's conclusion. I'm finding it harder and harder to tell the two apart, especially when it comes to gaming discussion. Maybe gamers are just getting dumber?

What the gently caress is this?

People can't hold negative views about games?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Everybody's reporting problems with the game to the point of its user metacritic score being destroyed (there's no conspiracy of haters here like some idiots believe) and Ubisoft support forums are overflowing with reports. People are reporting severe crashes, whole parts of the city being unavailable and FPS dips everywhere including consoles and high-end machines. This game's launch is a disaster and of course it works on some machines but this doesn't invalidate the the other complaints. "It works on my PC which means y'all wrong" is a completely moronic sentence.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

I only played one, (every other attempt to connect found no one) but it was neat in theory but was just 4 dudes racing to do everything as brazenly and overtly as possible. And if you weren't down with that pace and lack of restraint, you basically missed out on the mission's activities.
If I'm calm and careful and they rush ahead and distract all the weak enemies, I can look cool shooting the actual target in the head with a rifle from long range, and then just amble away.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
Literally took myself plus four, count 'em four French peasents to take down this one sergeant who, for some reason, dropped his sword when his health bar hit zero and just started demolishing us with his bare hands, while teleport-dodging our hits. That loving guy. :allears:

Honestly, even though the new combat system is loving terrible and the animations look like they're missing half their frames, fights can still look pretty awesome.

Jejoma fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 14, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Red Pyramid posted:

So far the most interesting thing about Unity is the fact that all the key characters - none of whom are British - speak with generic movie-British accents, but all the ambient NPCs speak French. Does Ubisoft not trust players to relate to characters with French accents? Or can actors just not pull off French accents without sounding like cartoons? Has American culture forever relegated the French accent to an object of scorn and ridicule? IF AC: Unity achieves anything maybe it can be the uncomfortable reconciliation of the Anglo-Saxon and Latin worlds after the rift of the Napoleonic Wars. I knew I bought this French Revolution game for a reason.

While I find it irritating and would prefer my french game as frenchy as possible, I think the games have provided enough background on how the animus works that the lacking accent thing is actually in-universe. Since the animus apparently translates things to the user, and the user of the Helix in Unity is (I guess) some schlub who bought a Helix setup and the requisite DLC just to watch some dude burn at the stake, then it makes adequate sense that the direct conversations would be translated to generic movie english to avoid making the home player feel more comfortable. Presumably if the player was in California then Arlo would refer to people as "you guys" and get an error screen when it rains while the sun is visible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jejoma posted:

Literally took myself plus four, count 'em four French peasents to take down this one sergeant who, for some reason, dropped his sword when his health bar hit zero and just started demolishing us with his bare hands, while teleport-dodging our hits. That loving guy. :allears:

Honestly, even though the new combat system is loving terrible and the animations look like they're missing half their frames, fights can still look pretty awesome.
AC has always been more about fights LOOKING awesome than BEING awesome. That hasn't changed for this game.

I do however like that hitting people with the butt of my rifle is just as effective as if I had a sword, and looks so much more forceful since it has the same animation as warhammers and stuff.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The no French accent while speaking English thing is because Ubisoft is French and they're really embarassed about their distinctive accent when speaking foreign languages for some reason. Italians don't really care about that.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Question: Can anyone work out how to disable on the HUD just the blue circle & glow on Arno when you're in a crowd? It's the only element that really annoys me, but I can't see how you can turn it off without turning off the whole HUD.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zachack posted:

While I find it irritating and would prefer my french game as frenchy as possible, I think the games have provided enough background on how the animus works that the lacking accent thing is actually in-universe. Since the animus apparently translates things to the user, and the user of the Helix in Unity is (I guess) some schlub who bought a Helix setup and the requisite DLC just to watch some dude burn at the stake, then it makes adequate sense that the direct conversations would be translated to generic movie english to avoid making the home player feel more comfortable. Presumably if the player was in California then Arlo would refer to people as "you guys" and get an error screen when it rains while the sun is visible.

Previous games had Arab and Italian accents.

It's this:

Palpek posted:

The no French accent while speaking English thing is because Ubisoft is French and they're really embarassed about their distinctive accent when speaking foreign languages for some reason. Italians don't really care about that.

French accents are usually played for laughs.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Palpek posted:

Everybody's reporting problems with the game to the point of its user metacritic score being destroyed (there's no conspiracy of haters here like some idiots believe) and Ubisoft support forums are overflowing with reports. People are reporting severe crashes, whole parts of the city being unavailable and FPS dips everywhere including consoles and high-end machines. This game's launch is a disaster and of course it works on some machines but this doesn't invalidate the the other complaints. "It works on my PC which means y'all wrong" is a completely moronic sentence.

Let's not pretend that user metacritic scores are anything but a hivemind circlejerk where 90% of the people don't even own the game.

Yes, the game is flawed and broken, but it's not in a "this game is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" 2.0 score territory.

I wonder if a lot of the bugs are directly related to the poor performance, though. The only times I've fallen through the game world was immediately after the game had stayed frozen for like 5 seconds. I guess physics starts to screw up if the game gets starved for CPU power.

halwain
May 31, 2011
While there are some FPS drops i have never experienced a crash or any FPS drops that impactet my gameplay (on PS4). Maybe im just lucky but i dont feel the problems alot of other people have.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pirate Jet posted:

So it's typical Ubisoft? Rad.

How does it read your accomplishments? Through save files? Because I'm working my way through the franchise and have uninstalled everything pre-3, and I don't think any of them had cloud saves. :/

Basically if you were connected to the Internet when playing any AC game from AC2 forward and have a uplay account it's been uploading certain gameplay details (like completion percentage) automatically every time it auto saved. That's how it knows when to award uplay points and also is the database initiates is supposed to pull from.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Speaking of rifles, are they really "non lethal" like the description text suggests? Because I would think getting shot in the head with a rifle would do more than give you a little headache. This is important because every mans must die, I leave no survivors. No exceptions.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

ymgve posted:

Let's not pretend that user metacritic scores are anything but a hivemind circlejerk where 90% of the people don't even own the game.

Yes, the game is flawed and broken, but it's not in a "this game is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing" 2.0 score territory.

I wonder if a lot of the bugs are directly related to the poor performance, though. The only times I've fallen through the game world was immediately after the game had stayed frozen for like 5 seconds. I guess physics starts to screw up if the game gets starved for CPU power.

The game was released so unfinished that institutions like the BBC and Forbes have reported on what a disaster the game is

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yes, but it is not this broken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6DtVHqyYts

My point was more that Metacritic User scores are useless unless you just want to know what the most vocal internet users feels about a game, most of whom have never played the game in question.

For example: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/company-of-heroes-2

It is better to use something like Steam reviews, which at least require the reviewer to own the game in question, where AC: Unity currently sits at only 45% of the user reviews being positive. (Which means you should definitely avoid it for now)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 14, 2014

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ymgve posted:

sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuX7-jOZcL4

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ymgve posted:

Yes, that's why you have to filter the score through common sense. There's no hate towards the publisher or series itself as AC4 had a good user score. When a game gets such a massive low score at release then it shows how wide spread problems with it are. They are very wide spread.

Comparing this to any other metacritic score misses the point entirely. I'm not arguing that metacritic scores are any sort of reliable gauge like you're implying. I'm saying that this has a particular meaning in this case = technical problems with the game are not exclusive to those few unlucky configurations like some idiots seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly I feel like this is the year of Next Gen Disappointment(tm).
I look back to the games I was looking forward to coming out this year:
* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny
* This year's AC title (since AC4 was awesome and Unity hadn't been announced yet)

And NONE of them have lived up to the hype. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get a PS4 game I've been looking forward to and be completely blown away by it like so many times on previous generations.

(On the plus side I feel there's been "surprise" good games coming out instead like Shadow of Mordor)

• Locked thread