Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

:barf:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Is it bad that I really want one of these?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Buil...=item19f6644c46
600 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Telecaster-Guitar-Clock-/331375241759?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d2780ea1f
if the clock works this would be a goofy stage prop at least

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leslie-West...=item2598df216a
i think this one exists just to annoy me. yes, it's headless.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

The cut-outs aren't even properly rounded out :(.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

I may be slightly bitter about that one still.

But yea, I'd bet one my bollocks that a lot of those 'dream guitars' get put up on ebay due to the owners not liking it, or even menial stuff like poor fretwork or set-up.

The tech I use is incredibly forward about his clients. He has no idea of the concept of confidentiality but it makes for some funny stories. That last time I went to his place to pick up one of my guitars had the best, "Hello and welcome to my abode!" I've ever experienced. Range the doorbell, door flies open and he just starts with, "Look at this firewood! Idiot hacked it to pieces trying to fit a floating bridge and now wants me to fix the drat thing and refinish it. It'd be cheaper to buy a new one and have me do the the floyd upgrade from scratch but we can't do that can we? It's got soul you see... Ponce". I loving love going to his place.

Sometimes I do wonder what he says to other clients when my gear's over there. "So this guy in a suit turns up and hands me a swirly thing from the 80's that I suspect has trace amounts of cocaine and hooker's pussy juice all over it. He thinks hair metal's due a revival and he's a baldy bastard. AND ITS GOT A DICKHOLE!" :sparkles:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 14, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fair Hallion posted:

here's 17 yr old me's guitar

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Fair Hallion posted:

here's 17 yr old me's guitar

That's bitchin' Suddenly I want custom OOH and AAH knobs made.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

The tech I use is incredibly forward about his clients. He has no idea of the concept of confidentiality but it makes for some funny stories. That last time I went to his place to pick up one of my guitars had the best, "Hello and welcome to my abode!" I've ever experienced. Range the doorbell, door flies open and he just starts with, "Look at this firewood! Idiot hacked it to pieces trying to fit a floating bridge and now wants me to fix the drat thing and refinish it. It'd be cheaper to buy a new one and have me do the the floyd upgrade from scratch but we can't do that can we? It's got soul you see... Ponce". I loving love going to his place.

Sometimes I do wonder what he says to other clients when my gear's over there. "So this guy in a suit turns up and hands me a swirly thing from the 80's that I suspect has trace amounts of cocaine and hooker's pussy juice all over it. He thinks hair metal's due a revival and he's a baldy bastard. AND ITS GOT A DICKHOLE!" :sparkles:

Hahaha, if he's anything like me he's probably thinking "Finally, someone who isn't going to try and pay me in effects pedals and 'slightly cracked' mobile phones!"

To be fair, most people are pretty good, even the ones that offer you silly poo poo will cough up, you just get the odd one or two who are "uhhh... I'm skint until next month, I can pay you in weed though". I guess that's the price I pay for not having a dedicated shop...

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Speaking of 'custom' guitars. America can't let you English have all the fun. :911:

Only $1,200.

Would (not @ $1200 tho)

Tsaedje posted:

Also would (and almost did a few years back)

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Does the weird string poo poo do anything?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

hitchensgoespop posted:

Make it easier to play the intro to Ashes in the Fall

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

hitchensgoespop posted:

something something "proper tension" something something "frequency of the wood"

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

My double neck dick hole guitar payment went through! Will post an update if/when it arrives.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

it ain't easy being cheesy

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

shiksa posted:

something something "proper tension" something something "frequency of the wood"

i know it looks stupid but it works well and even ed roman, went "yeah jeff babicz did good"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

i know it looks stupid but it works well and even ed roman, went "yeah jeff babicz did good"

How did Ed Roman actually die? I can't imagine him having a heart attack or a stroke or anything, I imagine him melting into a pile of goo/warm butter.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

shiksa posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leslie-West...=item2598df216a
i think this one exists just to annoy me. yes, it's headless.

Maybe this is my lefty Stockholm syndrome reflex in evidence, but I totally would.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

White Dog Eggs posted:

How did Ed Roman actually die? I can't imagine him having a heart attack or a stroke or anything, I imagine him melting into a pile of goo/warm butter.
he probably just slowly decomposed until he was a pile of fungus

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I remember reading something about Babicz acoustics having some kind of crazy adjustable neck/heal height mechanism too, so you can adjust your string height/action super quick. Sounded like a cool concept, but it seems like it would just decimate sustain to have the neck be a moving part like that

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

JohnnySmitch posted:

I remember reading something about Babicz acoustics having some kind of crazy adjustable neck/heal height mechanism too, so you can adjust your string height/action super quick. Sounded like a cool concept, but it seems like it would just decimate sustain to have the neck be a moving part like that

If it was done well I reckon you could probably get away with it, no idea how it'd work though.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

found it:
http://www.babiczguitars.com/continually-adjustable-neck.htm

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

unlawfulsoup posted:

Speaking of 'custom' guitars. America can't let you English have all the fun. :911:

Only $1,200.

I like this more than I should, it has a weird look like something you'd see from Alien, how the 70s envisioned a space-faring future with loving chromatic CRTs and dippy birds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hahaha, if he's anything like me he's probably thinking "Finally, someone who isn't going to try and pay me in effects pedals and 'slightly cracked' mobile phones!"

To be fair, most people are pretty good, even the ones that offer you silly poo poo will cough up, you just get the odd one or two who are "uhhh... I'm skint until next month, I can pay you in weed though". I guess that's the price I pay for not having a dedicated shop...

i get turning down effects pedals and phones for payment but weed is legitimate tender

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

i get turning down effects pedals and phones for payment but weed is legitimate tender

he's in the uk, by weed he means hedge trimmings laced with polecat urine

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

Knowing the... calibre of gentleman that he was, it would have been manky dogshit-grade soapbar.

(those little white flecks are probably bits of plastic)

This sums it up pretty well;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKceQT0Scg4

Also you can get really good skunk for cheap around here for pretty cheap. And we have no polecats here :colbert:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

Knowing the... calibre of gentleman that he was, it would have been manky dogshit-grade soapbar.

Also you can get really good skunk for cheap around here for pretty cheap. And we have no polecats here :colbert:

awwww my vision of you in my head as ken shabby is shattered

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dewgy posted:

awwww my vision of you in my head as ken shabby is shattered

Hah! I'm more of a "embittered ex-techie guy" than anything else (my beard is rapidly approaching unix levels, I should probably shave it). I did once clean toilets for a living though, so theres that.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

It is my experience that, yes people almost always have no loving clue what they want. There is a reason quality things aren't decided by vote or committee. Even that youtube dude's guitar only gives you a range of options because bozos left to their own devices would probably vote to have electric razors mounted to the neck so they could shave before gigs.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fair Hallion posted:

there was a brief "design your dream guitar" chat several pages back; has anyone here done the Warmoth thing of ordering a whole built guitar to their own spec? And how did your Warmoth-tar turn out... I mean for the money I'd expect good results.
I have a buddy who's in the process of building a Stratocaster-style for Blues-Dad purposes (although to be fair, he actually can play).

I'll post the results when I talk to him next month. I think he may have ordered it already.

P.S. WDE is super cool and I want to hang out with him (dude your stories are/must be amazing), and
P.P.S. Oscar I want to be your pal.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 14, 2014

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

That's bitchin' Suddenly I want custom OOH and AAH knobs made.

the top of the 'knobs' was a circle cut of sticky-back white shiny plastic, so I could write something different in whiteboard marker, for each gig. so "ooh / Ahh", "love / hate", "arse / elbow" etc etc.

that guitar started off as a right-handed Hohner superstrat, but, I am left-handed. So after a period of playing this guitar strung upside down, I got fed up with the volume knob getting in my way. I was also inordinately annoyed that the lower horn of the body now extended farther than the top one. So my 17-yr-old brain hatched a plan. I was about to embark on my first guitar makeover.

First, I was going to even the score on that lower horn. To give you an idea of what I saw in my head, here’s a crude diagram. ( not much cruder than the actual cut job I did)

So I destrung it, unbolted the neck, took a handsaw (Coping Saw?) and began. It turned out the body was plywood, so wasn’t an ideal medium for my crude carpentry. The actual pots were turned up full, and pushed down into the body, never to be seen again. What remained were the 3 on-off toggle switches for the 3 pickups. The rebuilt guitar was terrible, the action was sky high, the neck didn't have proper support from the body any more (I could get a deep trem effect by shaking the guitar back and forward). I still played a load of gigs with it though. I didn't know any better.
The strap was also gaffa-taped on there of course, as per the punk/grunge stylings of the day.

Eventually it got a respray and became a blue amorphous blob

The nut? Cracked & fell off long ago. The replacement? An off-cut of chromed metal bar, about 6mm diameter. String slots? Nope. But the allen bolt locking nut held the stings in place.

The tuner for the low E got smashed off at a gig. Find a similar replacement? Nope; use a wrong-sided, *acoustic* guitar tuner. It was actually excellent for quickly tuning down to ‘D’ for the songs that required it.

the back, lovingly smothered in stickers & warning tape.

that's my retarded teenage guitar story.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

unlawfulsoup posted:

Only $1,200.

I like the weirdness of it, but on the other hand there's so much poo poo on there it almost looks steampunk

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dewgy posted:

im in the uk as well as you son of a bitch. you can get decent stuff here if you know the right people :colbert:

White Dog Eggs posted:

skunk? nah nah, its all about chedda now, keep up WDE!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but gently caress soapbar yeah, gently caress that stuff is horrific. both the weed and the pickups.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Fair Hallion posted:

I love gear with stories behind them, that's awesome man

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Fair Hallion posted:

(retarded teenage guitar story)

Now there's a guitar with some serious mojo. I bet it just oozes tone, and also various other substances.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

http://www.violinguitarmaker.com/guit1.htm

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fair Hallion posted:

this is the best thing to come out of this thread

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

shiksa posted:

good enough for me, sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Fair Hallion posted:

The tuner for the low E got smashed off at a gig. Find a similar replacement? Nope; use a wrong-sided, *acoustic* guitar tuner. It was actually excellent for quickly tuning down to ‘D’ for the songs that required it.

This rules.

• Locked thread