Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I did not manage to find Pyromania but I lucked into so much crazy stuff happening early in my run to get secret room rerolls for both 1up and raw liver, and then get meat boy from the monster manual before running out of health at the end. All I have left is making a bandage girl. Thanks for the information provided, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

bat duck posted:

Maybe i'm wrong, had the pyro ipecac and habit, dont think I used it enough times to get all upgrades.

Did they add the curse that doesent let you see what items you pick up just to say "gently caress you" or because they figured the whole game shouldn't be skill based but purely based on luck? Picked up mirror with bomb and completely ruined a good build. I might have played too much in to short a time, but I'm getting really sick of all the bullshit randomness in this game. So many rooms where I know they were just thinking "haha this is gonna piss them off!" And I can barely get a run going now because I'm so sick of the first few floors using forever on every single room with the starting stats.

With plain old Isaac it's not hard to clear at least Mom's Heart even if your items suck. The game only really starts ramping up the difficulty in the post Womb areas. Not calling you a scrub or anything - this game has an ugly learning curve - but it gets easier to go further with worse items. The mark of people who are really good is when they can somehow spin miraculous bullshit out of completely garbage items. gently caress if I know how they do it sometimes, but I've seen people do runs with terrible items where they just never, ever messed up and never got hit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shielded tears works so loving well with the Ludovico Technique. Also got that cat head that fires lasers (forget the name but it's amazing for damage) and the Habit so I basically had infinite super lasers. First time I went to the chest and I won. Not as good as my first Dark Room run though, that was hilarious.

9S23
3XDX

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

CJacobs posted:

Explosions and brimstone shots are still a problem so perhaps 100% trivial was a bit of an overstatement. MOSTLY trivial. I disagree when it comes to shielded tears though, you can win the game very easily with them if you have a moderately fast firerate.

You're severely underestimating how easy it is to take some dumb hit on any floor no matter your loadout. Some of my dumbest/"cheapest" deaths were with my best builds because being able to kill things quickly still leaves you vulnerable to all kinds of damage. Shielded tears with a max fire rate still wouldn't prevent you from getting hit by a lobbed shot's splash damage, or from behind or the side while you're dodging something, or from a bomb that drops after you kill some mob, etc etc.

The only thing that makes the Lost easy is if you luck out and get something ludicrous like Brimstone + Tri/Quad shot + Holy Mantle/3 orbitals and can literally walk into a room, let go of the fire button while sweeping across and instantly clear the entire thing. And even then there are some rooms where you have to dodge some serious fire in order to not get hit twice.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

flyboi posted:

Still around on PS4/Vita but God Hand doesn't pop.I'm going to assume it'll just show up whenever the 1.22b or whatever patch drops down to PS4/Vita. Honestly if that glitch didn't exist I would never have touched that char. Anyone that can do it legit I'll tip my hat to but gently caress that nonsense.

i tried to do the glitch on ps4, never found a dead cat but i found guppys collar which i heard worked as well. it did for a time, but about halfway through the depths it stopped working. so much time wasted

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I really like bosses like Pin where they have an unexplained movement pattern and you can't tell where they're coming from because there's no indication where they're at until they burst from the floor at you.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Glue yourself to a wall and wait for him. Seems to usually work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dizz posted:

I really like bosses like Pin where they have an unexplained movement pattern and you can't tell where they're coming from because there's no indication where they're at until they burst from the floor at you.

Not to ruin it for you, but if you hug the south wall, Pin will always charge at you from the north.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

Are there any tells for where one of those underground item rooms will show up? The things with the ladder and the enemy guarding an item. I thought it might be the 'x' that sometimes appears on the ground, but that doesn't seem to work.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No I definitely have Pin down and say that he's probably the worst boss because he's so boring. If you get the Cellar, most likely you'll face him and since he spends most of the fight underground, it takes forever to beat him in your pathetic weak state you're always at at the start of the game. He doesn't even have any champion versions to make him interesting, he's the same fight every single time, I hate him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gently caress that, I beat the demo man challenge but since I went in the Cathedral and died there, it doesn't count.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

No I definitely have Pin down and say that he's probably the worst boss because he's so boring. If you get the Cellar, most likely you'll face him and since he spends most of the fight underground, it takes forever to beat him in your pathetic weak state you're always at at the start of the game. He doesn't even have any champion versions to make him interesting, he's the same fight every single time, I hate him.

scolex is way worse imo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Something I picked up has cancelled the teleportation effect of the Cursed Eye. I'm guessing the Goat Head but I'm not sure.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
God gently caress those rooms in the dark room/chest where they take two bosses and cram them into a normal sized room. It just does not seem fair when it comes to bosses that require space to avoid their attacks. Like, what the hell do you do against two mega fatties? Can't stand far enough away from both of them to avoid their instant stomp, so you have no choice but to take hits unless you can kill one ridiculously fast.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

AHungryRobot posted:

scolex is way worse imo.

Very true, but hopefully by that point you'll have ways to obliterate him to pieces, if not, then yeah, he's equally as lovely.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scolex is obnoxious. Though hey, pick Azazel and you will annihilate Pin in like four hits. :v:

Internet Kraken posted:

God gently caress those rooms in the dark room/chest where they take two bosses and cram them into a normal sized room. It just does not seem fair when it comes to bosses that require space to avoid their attacks. Like, what the hell do you do against two mega fatties? Can't stand far enough away from both of them to avoid their instant stomp, so you have no choice but to take hits unless you can kill one ridiculously fast.

You haven't run across any of the quad boss rooms yet, I take it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

You haven't run across any of the quad boss rooms yet, I take it?

I have but only in large rooms where its much easier to avoid them, even if there are more. The small rooms give you no space to work with which is really unfair against bosses that require a bunch of space to not get hit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, I don't think the small rooms with a bunch of bosses are particularly unfair. I've seen a small room with like three Widows in it, but it was fine because by that point I was suitably geared up to deal with it. You can definitely deal with two Mega Fatties in a small room. If you aren't able to then the best option is to just bomb the door and leave.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the worst is dealing with two Cages in small rooms though. They're stupidly tanky and deny you so much ground with their AoE jumps and rolling around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I had a quad red Monstro II room once. Which, of course, means 8 of the motherfuckers jumping around, brimstoning, 8 way shooting and spawning the flies that explode into bullets.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

AHungryRobot posted:

scolex is way worse imo.

I have yet to see Scolex in Rebirth. I'm happy it wasn't part of the boss rush. I've seen Daddy Longlegs at this point but only in the Cathedral.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

I had a quad red Monstro II room once. Which, of course, means 8 of the motherfuckers jumping around, brimstoning, 8 way shooting and spawning the flies that explode into bullets.

I've seen that room and it is a nightmare. Thankfully I had the Gnawed Leaf. Speaking of which, I just found that in my first ??? run, so I guess I've already won since I have the demon baby. I can just stand around and wait for the auto firing familiar to kill everything for me. D6, here I come.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Dizz posted:

Pin and Scolex are just about hugging the south wall and the second they appear moving left or right and firing in behind you as you go. Their spray will never hit you this way.

Those 2 are incredibly easy bosses, you should be able to easily no-hit them 90% of the time you see them. All they should be is an annoyance if you don't have a high damage tear or item.

Also, for reasons I don't know, their hp bar is inaccurate. They routinely blow up at 30% hp remaining and they did this in BoI, too. I think how they take damage is wrong as the first 70% of their bar can be tough to plink away at with low damage but at 30% they take one hit and explode.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 14, 2014

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

One-shotting Isaac any boss with the chaos card: :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Every now and then the game just decides you get to win, doesn't it? Like, sometimes you start as Azazel because you want to blow off some steam and the game throws Dark Bum and the Book of Revelations at you within the first three floors.

I ended up with two Cubes of Meat, giving me an orbital that would shoot while I was powering up my short-range Brimstone, a Li'l Chubby chewing on things for me, a crazy-powerful Smart Fly, and honestly from that point on I just kind of lost track as I melted everything in my path. Got to the boss rush for the first time (I had no idea what I was stepping into) and everything just plain got murdered. Soul Hearts were flying everywhere. To give you an idea of just how powerful this run was, I got hit constantly and yet I still ended the run with all three of my original black hearts intact.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

AHungryRobot posted:

scolex is way worse imo.
Scolex is actually a loving indefensible boss design-wise and I was kind of shocked that it still exists in rebirth. Not only is it incredibly boring, and also not a threat at all, to any character, but it's one of those super lovely types of bosses where you just have to wait until they arbitrarily decide to let you kill them by flashing their weakness at you.
scolex why do you exist

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Scolex is actually a loving indefensible boss design-wise and I was kind of shocked that it still exists in rebirth. Not only is it incredibly boring, and also not a threat at all, to any character, but it's one of those super lovely types of bosses where you just have to wait until they arbitrarily decide to let you kill them by flashing their weakness at you.
scolex why do you exist

The same thing but about every burrowing mob, that just wastes your time. And ghosts, gently caress ghosts.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you are having trouble with the Beans challenge try to get Guppys Head. You start with the battery that recharges one turn items while enemies are in the room so if you can sit in the corner of a room safe from the last guy you can summon an infinite(?) amount of flies. I killed Mom basically instantly.

Has anyone found the Godhead yet? I unlocked it but I've never seen it spawn, do you need to get the Mind, Body and Soul in the same run first or something?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does the Guillotine have an actual use besides giving you a headache and making you an easier target?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Samuel Clemens posted:

Does the Guillotine have an actual use besides giving you a headache and making you an easier target?

It actually doesn't make you an easier target because your head can't take hits, just the body. It's still not very useful. More disorienting than anything. You COULD safely shoot around a corner I guess but that's not really helpful because standing near walls when your head is in the wall makes your tears do nothing at all.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Someone Awful! posted:

One-shotting Isaac any boss with the chaos card: :getin:
Thinking the Chaos Card is first "primed" when you use it similar to Bob's Rotten Head or the Blue Boomerang, instead of instantly thrown in your current heading, and uselessly lodging it in the boss door you just entered: :frogdowns:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Oh gently caress you game. I was doing the cursed challenge and feeling pretty good going into the last floor since the boss drop on Depths one was <3 so I had full health with decent enough damage. Necropolis-Curse of the Loss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

loving Curse of Darkness. :argh: Can't see the stupid bomb leeches and lose a bunch of health before I get to Isaac. I came close, but I was relying on Daddy Longlegs for all my damage because I'd got zero damage ups throughout the run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
holy poo poo solar system is so slow and boring

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I was doing suicide king and I found a re-roll room. I get the knife!

... and soy milk :cry:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

Are there any tells for where one of those underground item rooms will show up? The things with the ladder and the enemy guarding an item. I thought it might be the 'x' that sometimes appears on the ground, but that doesn't seem to work.

If you get the room with the bed, bomb the carpet and it will always have a trapdoor to either that or the next level. Otherwise, it's randomly under rocks. No tells as far as I've been able to figure out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

omeg posted:

The same thing but about every burrowing mob, that just wastes your time. And ghosts, gently caress ghosts.

Ghosts wreck my poo poo. Is there some strategy to make them easier? I can mostly keep them firing in the wrong direction, but they always manage to corner me somehow.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Here I thought I was being all cool by cheesing Suicide King with the Bible and then it turns out that you have to beat Isaac too. :(

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I wish Mom's Knife was able to get bigger like tears do. It's dumb that it stats it's tiny boring way and also doesn't have good synergies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Was going for the D6 unlock and came across the D100. I had a really good build that could carry me but hey, first time with the D100 let's try it!!

First I had a bunch of terrible builds that I was hobbling by with thankfully I kept getting rosary/health ups to keep me alive but eventually I ran into ipecac w/ my reflection which hurt me on every explosion. gently caress RUN OVER!

Ended up blowing up into a secret room on accident which had a battery in it. WHAT EVER WILL HAPPEN?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDjkID7pYA

Needless to say the D6 unlocked no problem and who said my reflection + ipecac/dr fetus is a bad combo? :shepface: