Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

macnbc posted:

Honestly I feel like this is the year of Next Gen Disappointment(tm).
I look back to the games I was looking forward to coming out this year:
* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny
* This year's AC title (since AC4 was awesome and Unity hadn't been announced yet)

And NONE of them have lived up to the hype. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get a PS4 game I've been looking forward to and be completely blown away by it like so many times on previous generations.

(On the plus side I feel there's been "surprise" good games coming out instead like Shadow of Mordor)
Get Alien: Isolation, it's fantastic despite nobody (including me) had any hope for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ymgve posted:

Yes, but it is not this broken:

Mmm, yes, quite, I do remember seeing ads on billboards and commercials in cinemas and on TV for Big Rig Racing, people touting the new gameplay mechanics and how they were improved from previous popular iterations of this storied and highly successful big-budget triple A franchise.

Oh wait!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakarne posted:

Speaking of rifles, are they really "non lethal" like the description text suggests? Because I would think getting shot in the head with a rifle would do more than give you a little headache. This is important because every mans must die, I leave no survivors. No exceptions.

I think the non lethal part is when you use them as melee weapons.

Palpek posted:

There's no hate towards the publisher or series itself

Yes there is. See: this thread.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well yeah there is but it's not the main reason for people flipping out, it just makes the rage 10x stronger.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

macnbc posted:

* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny
* This year's AC title (since AC4 was awesome and Unity hadn't been announced yet)

And NONE of them have lived up to the hype. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to get a PS4 game I've been looking forward to and be completely blown away by it like so many times on previous generations.

(On the plus side I feel there's been "surprise" good games coming out instead like Shadow of Mordor)

Infamous: Second Son, maybe? Though it wasn't mindblowing, it looked great and was fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

macnbc posted:

* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny

Buy a Wiiu. DKC, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, Hyrule Warriors, and probably Smash are all excellent games with 60fps and were completed without gamebreaking bugs. It's kind of funny the system got all the Ubisoft games up til Rogue/Unity, the release that sucked; Black Flag ran pretty well and was a generally good entry.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He said next gen games.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

macnbc posted:

* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny

I really like Watch_Dogs and Destiny and didn't find them disappointing at all, then again I'd sort of ignored W_D until a week before it came out and knew nothing about Destiny until I played the beta.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

Mine went away too. Who the gently caress even knows what happened. Maybe it's something hilarious, like an Ubisoft service going down and the game running way better without it.
regarding 0x60000001 connectivity problems...

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I did not know that Rogue existed until I opened this thread. Is that game just not being marketed, or do I live under a rock?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Dean of Swing posted:

I did not know that Rogue existed until I opened this thread. Is that game just not being marketed, or do I live under a rock?

Just not being marketed. There weren't even any review copies sent out. Ubi wanted to make sure they could get as many eyes as possible on Unity, apparently.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

DangerKat posted:

Ubi wanted to make sure they could get as many eyes as possible on Unity, apparently.
In hindsight, this might have been a mistake.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly Ubisoft probably saw the Unity issues coming from a mile away, hence why it got delayed a couple weeks to begin with and why the embargos were put in place.

If I were them what I would've done is a few months ago when it was becoming apparent Unity wasn't going to be ready for primetime, I would've gotten a strike team together to get Rogue ports for PS4 and XB1 cobbled together (which shouldn't be hard since they did it with AC4 and it's the same engine.) I then would've made Rogue the big AC title for this Fall and delayed Unity to be like a summer title for next year.

Yeah Ubisoft would've taken some poo poo for releasing an AC game that's pretty much a reskin of previous ones, like Revelations was, and for delaying a title again like Watch_Dogs last year, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near the level of crap they're taking right now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's way more complicated than that and no, they couldn't have just done that. I agree they had to be completely aware of Unity's problems though and their only choice would have been to delay it but they decided against it to keep up with the yearly release schedule and not lose on the Novemeber purchase wave.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's going to sell a billion copies and won't affect sales of the next one.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Palpek posted:

It's way more complicated than that and no, they couldn't have just done that. I agree they had to be completely aware of Unity's problems though and their only choice would have been to delay it but they decided against it to keep up with the yearly release schedule and not lose on the Novemeber purchase wave.

Funny, considering they said in interviews last year they totally would delay it if it didn't meet standards.

quote:

Speaking to IGN in a conversation about delays, Ubisoft North American president Laurent Detoc said that Ubisoft would break Assassin’s Creed's annualized schedule by delaying a game "if it's not good enough."

“If we think we’ve ended up with a 70 percent Assassin’s Creed game, we’re not going to ship it,” Detoc told IGN. “That damages the brand. I’m not going to give you the names of products, because you know them as well as I do, but if you start to make games at 70 percent, even with a big brand, eventually people are going to change their mind about that brand. They won’t want it anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

It's going to sell a billion copies and won't affect sales of the next one.

History suggests the opposite actually. If you go back and look at the sales figures AC4's sales trended below AC3's, even though it got much more positive reviews. People got turned off of the franchise a bit.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Is the lack of co-op mission markers on the map a bug? Seems like even though we synchronized an area, it didn't show all of the co-op missions on the map. Most would only show up on the map when we were near them, yet there were a few others that were always on the map no matter where we went. Made it hard to find different co-op missions to play, especially when most of the ones we found were 2 players max yet we were 3.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

macnbc posted:

Of course they didn't, the hype built up for them was completely unreasonable. Destiny was being billed as the only game you'll play for the next 10 years, watch underscore dogs was supposed to be grand theft auto but better and with insane hacking super powers, and CoD was specifically aiming to be the next modern warfare. None of these games could possibly live up to the expectations set by the publishers.

That's also why two of the best games this year were so enjoyable: relatively low hype and balanced expectations. Shadow of Mordor sounded like a game trying to ride the coattails of the Arkham series and included a totally stupid gimmick that would never work as advertised to set it apart. Alien Isolation was a big budget survival horror game that was in all likelihood going to give you a machine gun to massacre swarms of aliens 40 minutes in. Both of these games ended up being great

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Watch Dogs is GTA but better because GTA isn't very good and that's not a high bar to clear.

vvv Which the Wii U isn't. The Wiis have been in a weird little .5 generation because of their release times and hardware. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aphrodite posted:

He said next gen games.

"Next gen" only means the current generation of new consoles.
Besides, many of the games he cited are also on PS360.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 14, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

macnbc posted:

* Watch_Dogs
* Destiny

I think that's marketing hype as opposed to seeing the game for yourself and getting hyped by the potential.

Tons of positively goon reviewed games don't live up to hype either. You should know by now what you enjoy though?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Of course they didn't, the hype built up for them was completely unreasonable. Destiny was being billed as the only game you'll play for the next 10 years, watch underscore dogs was supposed to be grand theft auto but better and with insane hacking super powers, and CoD was specifically aiming to be the next modern warfare. None of these games could possibly live up to the expectations set by the publishers.

That's also why two of the best games this year were so enjoyable: relatively low hype and balanced expectations. Shadow of Mordor sounded like a game trying to ride the coattails of the Arkham series and included a totally stupid gimmick that would never work as advertised to set it apart. Alien Isolation was a big budget survival horror game that was in all likelihood going to give you a machine gun to massacre swarms of aliens 40 minutes in. Both of these games ended up being great

Eh, Watch Dogs was pretty much advertised as "GTA with hacking" and that's just what we got. I quite liked it, for all its flaws I had a lot of fun with it.
I don't really get the "Hype" argument about it either. From reading this forum and other sources on the net, the general attitude towards it prior to release seemed to range from "Lol this game is gonna bomb so hard" to cautious optimism. I can't remember many people being super-hyped about it.

Edit: I'm planning on picking up Unity in the future, but it's probably best to wait a little while until they iron out the worst technical issues. Most people I've talked to is saying it's a solid and fun game when it works.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 14, 2014

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
A 332 MB patch just landed for Unity on Steam, let's see how it goes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Broken Cog posted:

I don't really get the "Hype" argument about it either. From reading this forum and other sources on the net, the general attitude towards it prior to release seemed to range from "Lol this game is gonna bomb so hard" to cautious optimism. I can't remember many people being super-hyped about it.
Nah, when the trailer for Watch_Dogs exploded it was a really big deal and everybody pissed their pants from excitement. That was the major perception and definitely there was no major stance that it would bomb, it was a new ip after all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Palpek posted:

Nah, when the trailer for Watch_Dogs exploded it was a really big deal and everybody pissed their pants from excitement. That was the major perception and definitely there was no major stance that it would bomb, it was a new ip after all.

Eh, I remember that E3 thread here with the trailer, and people seemed more confused than hyped. I remember the comments being mostly about how dumb the name was and what exactly kind of game it was, with some people liking the weather effects(Seriously, the night rain effects in Watch Dogs still looks really really good) and QRCode-head.

Then the game got delayed a bunch and most of what hype there was died down.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Christ, finished the mission in the sewers (4-2? 3?) and after the assassination, my FPS plummeted to about 7-8 and even persists during cutscenes. PS4.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, I remember that E3 thread here with the trailer, and people seemed more confused than hyped. I remember the comments being mostly about how dumb the name was and what exactly kind of game it was, with some people liking the weather effects(Seriously, the night rain effects in Watch Dogs still looks really really good) and QRCode-head.

Then the game got delayed a bunch and most of what hype there was died down.
Read the Watch_Dogs thread before the release:

Zorak posted:

I am pumped as hell for Deus Ex: Human Revolution + Grand Theft Auto or whatever the hell this is.
Etc. etc. for pages. Not that I blame them, the trailer looked rad as hell.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BattleSausage posted:

A 332 MB patch just landed for Unity on Steam, let's see how it goes.

I went from ~20-30 FPS to a fractional framerate. I think I'm just gonna put this off until I get more than 4GB system RAM and a faster CPU.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I went from ~20-30 FPS to a fractional framerate. I think I'm just gonna put this off until I get more than 4GB system RAM and a faster CPU.
Wait, so the patch made it worse? Welp.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Palpek posted:

Wait, so the patch made it worse? Welp.

I'm running just skirting the minimum specs though, so it might be better for others.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey, cool. Steam refunded my purchase of this game (well, most of it, they kept like ten bucks or so), but I'm not going to argue over that.

Thanks Valve. Now I can buy it when I have a better computer and when it goes on sale.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So apparently the goon group is full already?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I've been waiting to see if Unity would bring us a bug that brings us Ascension of the Jackdaw levels of hilarity.

I think we've finally found it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

macnbc posted:

I've been waiting to see if Unity would bring us a bug that brings us Ascension of the Jackdaw levels of hilarity.

loving French people ruining everything.

As a sidenote, this game has some of the best mocap animation for dialogue I've seen yet.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

macnbc posted:

hahahahahaha

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kuiperdolin posted:

So apparently the goon group is full already?
Huh, so these groups have a pretty low cap?

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still enjoying the game. Some people can enjoy Destiny despite what I perceive as an unacceptable level of dullness, and I can enjoy this despite what other people perceive as an unacceptable level of bugs and design problems.

Skallagrimsson
Aug 7, 2003

Straining my strength I grappled,
Staggered the wordy foeman;
My tooth I bade bite him.
Best of swords at need.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Don't worry they've sorted the important things first

To be fair, though, this is to help people that bought the credits, were charged, then got nothing, ON TOP OF all the other issues. Those users are suffering an extra level of Ubissault, and deserve assistance.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

ayn rand hand job posted:

regarding 0x60000001 connectivity problems...

Assassin's Creed Unity: Hang tight, and bear with us while we get this sorted out!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Skallagrimsson posted:

To be fair, though, this is to help people that bought the credits, were charged, then got nothing, ON TOP OF all the other issues. Those users are suffering an extra level of Ubissault, and deserve assistance.

A mercy killing is technically assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, so these groups have a pretty low cap?

Anyway, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still enjoying the game. Some people can enjoy Destiny despite what I perceive as an unacceptable level of dullness, and I can enjoy this despite what other people perceive as an unacceptable level of bugs and design problems.

I am enjoying it too, but i have never been stuck on this much trivial furniture in any game ever...I get a full head of steam going climbing and diving everywhere and stopped dead by a bench, or a barrel. Seems to only happen during missions where sneaking is key, since a couple dudes will own you in combat. Also, do you get more "assassiny" powers like whistling? No bushes to hide in either. I actually did one whole mission just sniping dudes. That I never did before in any assassins creed game either.

• Locked thread